Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ibh wrote: »
    Yea i also would have liked to see that disgraceful Zidane fella playing at Anfield.!

We had Bruno Cheyrou who was pretty much just as good :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Mr Alan wrote: »
    We had Bruno Cheyrou who was pretty much just as good :cool:

Ah good ol Bruno.. I even defended that fcuker for about the first year or so, thinking that he was just adjusting to the pace of the game a la Pires.. How wrong was i...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

They may drag it out and appeal!!May take a week or so!!i think he should just take the punishment and put it behind him!!He may of being rested for the Arsenal game anyway and we can cope with Blackburn at home!!!

He will be fresh for the Gunners on Tuesday night!!

My team for Arsenal game on Saturday

Reina,Arbeloa,Skrtel,Hypia,Risse,Benayoun,Alonso,Lucas,Pennant,Crouch,Voronin in a 4-4-2 formation!

Bench Itandje,Aurelio,Babel,Gerrard,Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

My team for Arsenal game on Saturday

Reina,Arbeloa,Skrtel,Hypia,Risse,Benayoun,Alonso,Lucas,Pennant,Crouch,Voronin in a 4-4-2 formation!

Bench Itandje,Aurelio,Babel,Gerrard,Torres

id rest hypia...i think carra wud be better able for the 3 games in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

I wouldnt play hypia next tuesdey!!back 4 would be arbeloa,carragher,skrtel,aurelio!!Dont think carragher is great as a fullback!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    I wouldnt play hypia next tuesdey!!back 4 would be arbeloa,carragher,skrtel,aurelio!!Dont think carragher is great as a fullback!!

I'd go with that, Finann or Arbeloa at right back.
    They offer more goin' forward than Carra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think we should seriously consider dropping the likes of Torres, Gerrard etc as Arsenal may try to kick them off the park and out of the game of tuesday. I know Liverpool could do the same, but don't care about Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

i hope Rafa put's out the reserves....I've a feelin Wenger won't be fielding a full strength team as i think he knows Arsenal are not going to win the league and he's going to prioritise the champions league imo..

I hope he puts the same team as last night out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

i'm a firm beleiver that these things even themselves out over the season

sure look at that peno decision last night ;)

15000th post in the Liverpool forum.
    Unfortunately,no prize for you though StickyMcGinty:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dobsdave wrote: »

That was the 15,000th reply, this is the 15,000th post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Wenger will feel compelled to put out a strong first 11 at home, finishing second is worth fighting for as its avoids two annoying and potentially embarrassing games in August.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

When will you know what team he will put out?
    If i were him i would field reserves .. its all about champions league now, (i'm not a liverpool fan just want to play ye in the final) I think its all about champs league with rafa anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

She Devil wrote: »
    When will you know what team he will put out?
    If i were him i would field reserves .. its all about champions league now, (i'm not a liverpool fan just want to play ye in the final) I think its all about champs league with rafa anyway!

Hes announcing the team at midnight tonight.

Now, Now!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is about as likely he will announce the team at midnight tonight as United are to lose the next three games without ronaldo scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

dobsdave wrote: »

got my champions league final tickets this week, that'll do :D

i know its probably ****e, but wat would people think of this? got me thinking.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3380976,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Liverpool sign Ronnie, I'll come up to the hill and buy you four pints of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

i know its probably ****e, but wat would people think of this? got me thinking.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3380976,00.html

got me creaming myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

DesF wrote: »
    If Liverpool sign Ronnie, I'll come up to the hill and buy you four pints of beer.

'tis a long shot but Barca weren't winning all round them when he joined either.
    thing is, where would he fit in and is he finished anyhow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool do not need another giant ego. One is enough. Definitely don't need a fading star super ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But how much would Barca want for him? And would Rafa pay it?

And his wages.

As I said, there's about as much chance of me buying alan pints as Ronnie signing for pool.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Liverpool do not need another giant ego. One is enough. Definitely don't need a fading star super ego.

all depends on the price. morientes was a flop. would be terrible if ronnie turned the same. probably a bull story anyway.

I've just finished mopping up and have come back to reality:rolleyes:

I'll pass. Yesterdays hero.

Meanwhile Liverpool are going to appeal Maschs extended ban which is not clever.

Mike.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    But how much would Barca want for him? And would Rafa pay it?

would we not be better served by 2 decent young wingers for the same price/wages?

although a front three of torres ronnie and stevie would be spectacular!

but back in the real world as someone pointed out he has a big ego and would expect to be the main man(which he wont be stand up stevie and nando). I dont think he's the type of person Rafa would want to work with.

It is Ronnies wages that would be a problem for Liverpool. It's expected that he will leave for about £12m in the summer but wages are at least £120k per week.

He is still a class player, but he is doing now with Barca what he did with PSG. He lit up the team for a couple of years, then he gets restless / disinterested etc and can't be fcuked trying. However for the first couple of years he could be some player..

Pool would prob look at him if they could get him on a 3 year contract, but he'll be looking for 5.

Don't believe the rubbish about him not being up to the pace of English football. Ronaldinho could play in any league in the world. However he is possible the polar opposite to what Rafa would look for in a player.

Couldn't see Voronin giving him the No10 shirt either, so prob won't get him!!!

prendy wrote: »
    I dont think he's the type of person Rafa would want to work with.
    Who says Rafa will be the manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

want to be that he wont, id take that bet

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    want to be that he wont, id take that bet
    What odds will you give me?

----Alonso--Mascherano----
    Gerrard
    Babel/Kuyt
    ronaldoinho-
    Torres

Its a nice idea :)

if it could happen for 10-15 million i'd give it a punt, certainly a bigger threat out on the left than Kewell,Risse,Babel,Benayoun.

i wouldnt be so quick to write him off, he has struggled all year with injuries and still has 8 goals in 16 games.

plus he can get stevie off corner duties! ;)

i ****ing do! :mad:

signed our most expensive ever defender in jan as well as masch, i'd call that a show of faith from our current "custodians"

What odds will you give me?

no odds, even money

Gerrard
    Babel/Kuyt
    ronaldoinho-
    Torres

Its a nice idea :)

if it could happen for 10-15 million i'd give it a punt, certainly a bigger threat out on the left than Kewell,Risse,Babel,Benayoun.

i wouldnt be so quick to write him off, he has struggled all year with injuries and still has 8 goals in 16 games.

plus he can get stevie off corner duties! ;)

Plus for the first time in ages we would have a threat from set pieces around the box...

He was being slated last year in Spain for having a poor season when he still passed 20 goals including some pure crackers e.g the chest control and overhead kick in one movement... Quality..

I have had a sneaky feeling (hope!) for a while that Pool would go for him or Henry in the summer..

Cyrus wrote: »
    no odds, even money
    No dice.

• Advertisement

No dice.

oh really :pac:

not surprised, waffler :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Don't believe that story for a minute but Ronnie is exactly the kind of player we need. We need that kind of creativity and he would be brilliant in big games and for converting all those EPL draws into wins too. He's also a very likeable and down-to-earth kind of player who is popular amongst all fans and would shift jerseys and raise 'brand awareness' internationally from a business point of view.

oobydooby wrote: »
    He's also a very likeable and down-to-earth kind of player who is popular amongst all fans and would shift jerseys and raise 'brand awareness' internationally from a business point of view.

Mike, and i'm the one being accused of being rick parry?!?!?! :eek::p

It's depressing to hear fans talking about the brand awareness of a (however far fetched) potential signing.

It makes me sad inside.

prendy wrote: »
    would we not be better served by 2 decent young wingers for the same price/wages?
    Well that was the point I was kinda making.
    ibh wrote:
    It is Ronnies wages that would be a problem for Liverpool. It's expected that he will leave for about £12m in the summer but wages are at least £120k per week.
    Again, that's the point I was making. But £12m? Can't see it being that little?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It's depressing to hear fans talking about the brand awareness of a (however far fetched) potential signing.

It makes me sad inside.
    No it doesn't! You're thrilled for a little ammo to be thrown your way.

It makes me sad inside.
    Ahy? It's part of the game now. More money means better players means better chance of winning things.

If it makes you sad you're probably better off watching amateur sports.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Taken off SSN - hopefully this puts the issue to bed.
    Masch wrote:
    "I apologise to everyone," the Argentinian told the Daily Mail. "I made a mistake and I regret this mistake. It was my fault.

"I am not a dirty player, I do not make a habit of showing disrespect towards referees, I don't like this and I can only think the high intensity of the fixture, against Manchester United, affected my behaviour that day. It was out of character, but I do not use that as an excuse.

"It is a bad thing when you let down your team-mates and leave them to play with 10 men, especially against Manchester United.

"They have been supportive and so have the Liverpool fans, but it didn't take away the pain. Looking back at that game, I was wrong to approach the referee. I approached him to talk to him, but I understand this was not a good idea.

"I reacted badly to the red card because I could not believe what was happening to me.

"I must learn my lesson, but move on from this and forget what has happened. I hope people know that I try to be fair and that I have no intention to be aggressive.

"I have to concentrate on the matches I can play in and stay focused on the Champions League. We have enjoyed a very good result against Arsenal and I am very much looking forward to the second leg.

"It is time for me to move forward, but not to forget the lessons from the past and the match at Manchester United.

"Off the field it has been a difficult time for me. My disciplinary record has been good until now, but I have to show that again. I always try to respect decisions by the referee and this is important."

ah Des not that again!!!!

Gerrard
    Babel/Kuyt
    ronaldoinho-
    Torres

who would make way?would you keep benny? acording to some press today pennant will go and kewell is gone. so we'd have subs in midfield and up front of lucas, benny, kuyt or babel, crouch.

i think that would be strong if we added another striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

It makes me sad inside.

I couldn't care less about the 'brand awareness' (hence the commas) but was just trying to justify an expensive outlay from the paymasters' point of view. Personally I don't get too excited about any of the business end of football (wages, transfers, sponsorships, owners etc.) - Just like playing it, watching it the odd time and following Liverpool's results. Would be excited about Ronnie coming though.

Hope that cheers you up a bit.

Again, that's the point I was making. But £12m? Can't see it being that little?

How much did Barca pay for Henry??? I have heard it being put around that he would be sold on the cheap and that he would be leaving Spain. (From Spanish friends) Most likely destination is thought to be Italy but England still a possibility.

His contract is out next year so that knocks a few mil off his value.

Anyone who has seen him play live will appreciate how good a player he is. His touch is excellent and his passing is also first class.

Would be severely pi5sed off if Chelsea signed him...

How much did Barca pay for Henry???
    £16.1m according to Wiki. Surely Ronnie would be worth more?

Would be severely pi5sed off if Chelsea signed him...
    Would not be surprised if he went to Chelsea, sure isn't Roman trying to build his London Galacticos. Ronnie would fit in quite nicely in his plans.

£16.1m according to Wiki. Surely Ronnie would be worth more?

Would not be surprised if he went to Chelsea, sure isn't Roman trying to build his London Galacticos. Ronnie would fit in quite nicely in his plans.

Difference with Ronnie is that he has already decided he ain't hanging around. Plus he will decide who he goes to, so he won't be going to someone like Spurs just because they'll pay £20m..

His wages are extremely prohibitive to a big money transfer. If he's on £120k a week that works out at £31.2m over 5 years!!! Plus at the end of the 5 years he won't be worth fcuk all at 33years old..

The only way that i can see the fee being much greater is if Chelsea start bidding against someone else. We'll see in a couple of months.

The only way that i can see the fee being much greater is if Chelsea start bidding against someone else. We'll see in a couple of months.
    Well that's the thing.....Chelsea it is so!!

His wages are extremely prohibitive to a big money transfer. If he's on £120k a week that works out at £31.2m over 5 years!!! Plus at the end of the 5 years he won't be worth fcuk all at 33years old..

T

what'll the money men look at? will he be effective on the field? we could argue yes and no till the cows come home. The amount of jerseys and spin offs it would generate would be worth a nice few quid. he is a massive player. think it was last year or maybe the year before he was outselling beckham as the number 1 'brand player' if you wanna call it that. Franchise player is what the yanks call it. Dunno if i'm right or wrong in saying that but it is another side of it. Another one, swap for Alonso??

He's not getting the number 23!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement