Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

ibh wrote: »
    His wages are extremely prohibitive to a big money transfer. If he's on £120k a week that works out at £31.2m over 5 years!!!

I don't see the wage issue being too big an issue. Kewell is on £76500 a week. After this season we won't be burning that money any more. Also Pennant should be gone.

If you want to attract top class players, you have to pay top money.

Besides, when Beckham went to Real, didn't Real make hugh money from Beckham merchandise. Not necessarily saying that Ronnie would make the same money, but he'd surely make enough to make a big dent in his wage big.

Edit: Hamnegg beat me to my point while I was typing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

rosboy wrote: »
    I don't see the wage issue being too big an issue. Kewell is on £76500 a week. After this season we won't be burning that money any more. Also Pennant should be gone.

Besides, when Beckham went to Real, didn't Real make hugh money from Beckham merchandise. Not necessarily saying that Ronnie would make the same money, but he'd surely make enough to make a big dent in his wage big.

Ah its not really the money involved thats the issue, its whether or not you'd want him in the team.

i'm not convinced that he'd be the right player for liverpool at all. I'd much prefer to see us go for two out and out wingers like what chelsea had when they had robben and duff. anyway, don't see it happen tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Kewell is on £76500 a week. After this season we won't be burning that money any more.

:eek: We should put Kewell on some celebrity gameshow for the rest of his contract where viewers text in and get him to do humiliating things and then use the money from the texts to offset those wages. Now I see why those moneymen are tight with the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From the BBC.co.uk gossip roundup column

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt grew up two miles from the home of referee Pieter Vink, who decided his challenge on Arsenal's Alexander Hleb was not a penalty, but insists he did not receive special treatment in the Champions League quarter-final first leg. (Daily Star)

All makes sense now ha ha ha.

Re the Ronnie thing - can see that one running all summer - could see him ending up in the US as don't know if there would be many willing to pay his wages given the previous form.

Pennant seems to be definately gone after the demotion to the reserves as does Kewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

http://www.bbdo.de/de/home/presse/aktuell/2006/30_03_06_soccer-ranking.html

I knew i heard it somewhere! 2 years ago but a new club fresh jersey and all that. He'd pay for himself almost, for any club.

One thing to note is that he has a deal with Nike, who undoubtedly would prefer his to go to a team like..... Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

previous form?

8 in 16 this season with brutal injuries in a misfiring barca team, and over 20 goals last season? going to the US?!

thats dafter than the idea of him coming to us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Who gives a sh*t about the money. If Ronaldinho could cope in the EPL he'd bring us leagues, and as long as that happened I don't care how much he's getting paid.

Doubt it will happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Re the Ronnie thing - can see that one running all summer - could see him ending up in the US as don't know if there would be many willing to pay his wages given the previous form.

Pennant seems to be definately gone after the demotion to the reserves as does Kewell.

Twice world player of the year and twice European player of the year.... And he's only 28... Not a fcuking hope he's heading to the US eague..

I think a fully fit Agger will be a huge bonus to us next season. I'm not saying that if we had him we'd have won the league but he was excellent last year for us and was missed this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Problem with Ronnie is that he will no dout break the wage structure. He'll be looking for at least 120k a week, probably 140k. If he gets this, Gerrard will want it, and so will Torres. It's not his wage that they can't afford, its the wage structure that is the problem.

That said, I still think he's a cracking player. This seaosn has been bad for him, but the seaosn before he was playing crap and got like 20 goals. Also would it really surprise anyone that much if he ended up winning the United game on his own and then won the CL final, once again becoming the best player in the world.
    He's just missing sharpness, and Rafa would give that to him. It would be a really different player though to what Liverpool normally have, and just like Ronaldo, he doesn't track back at all.
    Also can't see him going for 12. Why? Because the market will dictate the price, and I've no doubt that Chelsea will be trying to sign him. If Milan are aswell, the price will be higher. He's 28, not 30, so still lots of money to be made on him, especially when Chelsea say, oh, he's 25 million, don't talk to anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

hamnegg wrote: »
    I think a fully fit Agger will be a huge bonus to us next season. I'm not saying that if we had him we'd have won the league but he was excellent last year for us and was missed this year

+1

Saw him in the reserve game he played a few weeks ago. Forgot how good a passer of the ball he is. Very accurate with long range passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

PHB wrote: »
    Problem with Ronnie is that he will no dout break the wage structure. He'll be looking for at least 120k a week, probably 140k. If he gets this, Gerrard will want it, and so will Torres. It's not his wage that they can't afford, its the wage structure that is the problem.

That said, I still think he's a cracking player. This seaosn has been bad for him, but the seaosn before he was playing crap and got like 20 goals. Also would it really surprise anyone that much if he ended up winning the United game on his own and then won the CL final, once again becoming the best player in the world.
    He's just missing sharpness, and Rafa would give that to him. It would be a really different player though to what Liverpool normally have, and just like Ronaldo, he doesn't track back at all.
    Also can't see him going for 12. Why? Because the market will dictate the price, and I've no doubt that Chelsea will be trying to sign him. If Milan are aswell, the price will be higher. He's 28, not 30, so still lots of money to be made on him, especially when Chelsea say, oh, he's 25 million, don't talk to anyone else.

I honestly think you would get 4 good years out of him and them ship him off to mls for big bucks.He fits the system perfectly and is quality.

Abramovich might actually be asking grant what he thinks if indeed he wants ronaldinho.Who says grant will say he is a waste of money and want other players instead.He has already played spanish football which is very similar to italian.The pl would offer him a new challenge.

in the end though,realistically abramovich will give him 180.000 a week and a 5 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ok lads, no-one is doubting that Ronnie isn't a quality player, but there's not a hope in hell that he's coming here.

It's the usual agent bs, link him with some high profile clubs, to get the best deal.

He'll almost certainly go to a team sponsored by Nike.

zAbbo wrote: »
    He'll almost certainly go to a team sponsored by Nike.

I dont buy that,just because he has high profile deals with them does not mean he has to go to a nike sponsored club.he will clearly go to chelski

arent Celtic sponsored by Nike?

maybe he'd fancy the SPL?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Twice world player of the year and twice European player of the year.... And he's only 28... Not a fcuking hope he's heading to the US eague..
    previous form? 8 in 16 this season with brutal injuries in a misfiring barca team, and over 20 goals last season? going to the US?!
    thats dafter than the idea of him coming to us!

Seems I forgot a smilie to tip everone off - thought it was blantantly obvious I was extracting the p.iss

Anyway thanks for the chuckle

Sorry lads couldn't resist it - this is one of those ultimate bored journalists going gee what will we use to fill some blank space type stories- speculating about this is an utter waste of time - fair enough if the season were over but come on - I'd say Ronnie himself hasn't given it this much thought as has been spent on it here. Or else its the following
    It's the usual agent bs, link him with some high profile clubs, to get the best deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

is Torres gonna start against the Gunners this weekend?

impossible to know i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    impossible to know i reckon.
    I doubt even Rafa knows at this stage tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

mike65 wrote: »
    I'll pass. Yesterdays hero.

Meanwhile Liverpool are going to appeal Maschs extended ban which is not clever.

Mike.

agree, i presume he was gonna be rested this weekend anyway

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    I doubt even Rafa knows at this stage tbh.

Des, Des, Des.

Rafa knows EVERYTHING

Problem with Ronnie is that he will no dout break the wage structure. He'll be looking for at least 120k a week, probably 140k.

Ronnie - Ronaldo yeah? On 122 accordin to this attch. Paper never refused ink though

Trilla wrote: »
    Ronnie - Ronaldo yeah? On 122 accordin to this attch. Paper never refused ink though

I'm sure that list is wrong. No way is Torres being payed more than Gerrard, he took a paycut when he joined Liverpool.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Trilla wrote: »
    is Torres gonna start against the Gunners this weekend?

extremely doubtful if you ask me. masch replaced by lucas. crouch and kuyt up front, pennant in, gerrard rested. carragher rested for arbeola or possibly hyppia rested and carragher in centre.

Sorry, I meant Ronnie as Ronaldinho :) Why can't they have bloody different names.

Still, Ronaldinho will demand huge huge wages, especially as its his last contract.

Also that list must be crap, aside from the fact that a lot of these things are never disclosed,

A. Gerrard must be the highest paid player in the club, no way Torres is paid more than him. Especially when it's been stated if I'm not mistaken that Torres took a pay cut to join Liverpool.
    B. There's no way that Portsmouth could afford to pay Campbell 100k a week
    C. Darren Bent on 96k a week, with no other Spurs players on the list, would mean Berbatov is being paid below 66k, and they were happy to utterly break their wage structure for Bent. [Same thing for Campbell aswell btw]
    D. Cisse on 76k?
    E. Real Madrid still operate their stupid galactico system, which results in all their top stars being paid similar amounts don't they?

p.s. Can't see Kuyt playing this weekend, as Rafa said, he ran himself to death midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

p.s. Can't see Kuyt playing this weekend, as Rafa said, he ran himself to death midweek.

He gets a lot of stick from everyone, me included, but I thought he was outstanding against Arsenal. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He is doing well .. credit where its due. He does a lot of work trying to get into space and looking for the ball. He deserves a rest.

If the other ten put the work in he did we'd be doing far better. How he does it i don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

agree, i presume he was gonna be rested this weekend anyway

They are appealing, but asking that the ban not be postponed.
    Hoping it will be reduced to a one game ban and then would be available for Blackburn next weekend.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    He is doing well .. credit where its due. He does a lot of work trying to get into space and looking for the ball. He deserves a rest.

4 goals in last 8 games from a wide right position, not bad. Just unfortunate he hasnt been in that form all season.

I think Kuyt has been amazing the past 2 games, he was great in the derby. You really appreciate how hard he works when you see him for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I think Kuyt has been amazing the past 2 games, he was great in the derby. You really appreciate how hard he works when you see him for yourself.

I saw both games and while there was a lot of effort he makes so many poor decisions, passes to no one at times and his shooting is so so poor. He is a hard worker but thats not enough sometimes. (good example Diego Forlan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And he still managed to score two goals and make another. He is good enough, it is just a question of whether he is good enough, often enough, bit like Rooney really.

I admire his workrate and his heart, but I think this is the last season he will be a regular starter. But I really like his attitude and hope he does well for us this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kuyt has had a hard year, being away from home where his father died. I imagine that after the summer when he gets some time to himself, in turn he will play better for us next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And he still managed to score two goals and make another. He is good enough, it is just a question of whether he is good enough, often enough, bit like Rooney really.

Oo. Controversial!

Mike.

Lol, ya, they have both had similar seasons, hahahaha. Rooney has been massive for Man Utd, not at his best in front of goal (but still has 16 goals from 31 games) Also Utd have only dropped points every time Rooney was out. Sky Average ratings for both players, Rooney: 7.3 Kuyt: 5.9 Sounds bout right to me, Rooney has been consistently playing well but not consistantly doing well in front of goal.

Actually this is the first time I have heard a Pool fan speak positively about Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

:rolleyes: Seriously :rolleyes:
    mike65 wrote: »

Controversial ? More like trolling tbh. ;)
    deisedevil wrote: »

Actually this is the first time I have heard a Pool fan speak positively about Kuyt.

That's because he is useless and they ridicule him every other week and rightly so but hey, he scored more than once in the same month so he can't be all that bad.

:D

• Advertisement

Lol, ya, they have both had similar seasons, hahahaha. Rooney has been massive for Man Utd, not at his best in front of goal (but still has 16 goals from 31 games) Also Utd have only dropped points every time Rooney was out. Sky Average ratings for both players, Rooney: 7.3 Kuyt: 5.9 Sounds bout right to me, Rooney has been consistently playing well but not consistantly doing well in front of goal.

I dont think he was comparing the ability of the players, merely the fact that neither have been reaching their potential.

well spotted Tusky, Kuyt has scored more goals in the CL than Rooney in Less starts but I doubt that many Man U fans will be saying that Kuyt is better than rooney. what I said though (and I know it is hard for some of you boyos to understand) is that Kuyt has not been good enough often enough this season, just like Rooney. I was not comparing ability, just the fact they have both had poor seasosn by their standards.

you obviously don't read a lot then do you. He often gets praise on this very thread.

you obviously don't read a lot then do you. He often gets praise on this very thread.

I do read a lot, just not a lot from the Liverpool Thread on Boards! If theres folk on here praising Kuyt then i'm probably better off not reading it that often. Ah fair enough so (turn on sarcasm detectors), Kuyt has shown massive potential, been a big part of Liverpools success so far this season and has done more than have 1 good month (Good month = two goals).

Well we would certainly miss your contribution around here.

I assume that you still have those sarcasem sensors on full blast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hahaha. oh fishy, u made me lol.

signing ronnie? hell yes. reality of signing ronnie? have to be a flying pig in that arctic hell

• Advertisement

There would have to be several, mind you if the yanks or whoever wanted him enough, then wages would not be an issue, worldwide shirt sales and image rights would make a fair wedge.

hahahahahahahahaha

the way I feel about kuyt is when he makes stupid decision which is often and does nothing,i curse him out and then when he workes so hard and scored a goal im absolutely delighted for him,more than any other player.

He is playing to be kept,rafa sees this and will keep him.His workrate is unbelievable,Id keep him just for that lol

But in seriousness,this guy was scoring for fun in the dutch league

2003-2006

Feyenoord

101 (71)

thats very impressive,we know he has talent and when played in front of goal he can be effective.in fact we never got to see a torres kuyt partnership properly.He tries so hard playing out of position on the wing and I have great respect for him for this,just actually looking at what he has done these last few weeks i appreciate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Far too many average players shine in the Eredivisie - David Connelly for example.

Mike.

Kezman too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement