Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

From Football365:

Speaking of suitable candidates...Kevin Keegan has identified the ideal player to rid Newcastle's of its reputation for being a haven for reprobates: Jermaine Pennant.

The Sun says that 'King Kev is desperate for owner Mike Ashley to hand him a transfer kitty now safety is secured and hopes to give Liverpool's £6million-rated winger Pennant, 25, a fresh start on Tyneside.'

Good grief.

'Keegan is also keeping tabs on Kop defender John Arne Riise and Celtic duo Scott Brown and Aidan McGeedy but will need to sit down with Toon executive director Dennis Wise to discuss options,' the paper adds.

http://www.football365.com/news/transfers/0,17033,8671,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Since Carsons value appears to be dropping, why would we want to sell him? Does anyone here really trust Itandje? He seems to be all flapping, all nervous and all round awkward everytime he's come on for us this season. God forbid if anything should happen to Reina.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, did a quick check on what games Itandje played, 7 Carling/FA Cup games and conceded 9.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Carson wont wanna play second fiddle to Reina, and he knows and has admitted himself, that he is not good enough to take his place.

therefore i wouldnt imagine we have much of a choice but than to sell him
    Carson will definitely be on the way out, but I'd say his value has fallen a bit this side of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Havent seen this posted yet, if it has, apologies..
    Liverpool are hopeful Sean Highdale will make a full recovery after the Academy youngster was involved in a horrific car accident earlier this morning.
    "I saw Sean this morning and the good news is that he was responding on a small basis and able to say hello," said Academy manager John Owens.

"It was a horrific crash but his injuries are not life threatening. We are hopeful he will make a full recovery.

"Obviously our thoughts at this time are with Sean's family and friends because he is a very popular lad at the Academy.

"We would also like to extend our deepest sympathies to those who lost loved ones in the crash."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159455080407-1607.htm
    Liverpool Football Club has sent its support to those involved in a car crash which left two teenagers dead.

Kalam James Wooding and Thomas Benn, both 17 and from Halewood, died after the car they were in crashed into another on Speke Boulevard on Sunday.

Three other 17-year-old boys were injured, including Sean Highdale, a Liverpool Academy youngster.

Academy manager John Owens said the club's thoughts were with his family and those who died and were injured.

'Deepest sympathies'

"I saw Sean this morning and the good news is that he was responding on a small basis and able to say hello," he said.

"It was a horrific crash but his injuries are not life-threatening. We are hopeful he will make a full recovery.

"Obviously our thoughts at this time are with Sean's family and friends because he is a very popular lad at the Academy.

"We would also like to extend our deepest sympathies to those who lost loved ones in the crash."

Merseyside Police are appealing for witnesses to the crash, which happened between the Vauxhall Astra which the boys were travelling in and a Volkswagen Beetle.

The Astra went into the back of the Beetle, which then collided with a lamppost and fencing.

The Astra crashed into trees and rolled on to its roof at about 2240 BST in Halewood.

The Beetle driver suffered "minor whiplash" but was not seriously injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mr Alan <3 Torres

seriously.

Fernando Torres has explained how the Anfield faithful gives him and his teammates a massive lift during Champions League matches.
    The club's top scorer got his first taste of a big European night when Italian champions Inter Milan came to Merseyside in February.

Torres claims he felt inspired on that occasion and believes the same will happen again when Arsene Wenger and co arrive in town tonight.

"It was fantastic," he said. "Inter are a very good team so to beat them gave us a lot of confidence.

"The atmosphere was incredible. The fans sang for the whole game and their support was one of the main reasons why we were able to get the victory.

"Every ground we play at you can hear the Liverpool fans singing their songs and supporting the team and it makes you feel really good.

"But European nights are the most special of all. I was told about them when I first joined Liverpool but now I have enjoyed them for myself I just want more and more of them."

While the Kop is likely to echo its full repertoire this evening, one chant that's growing evermore popular is the 'We bought the lad from sunny Spain...' tribute to Torres.

The 24-year-old added: "When I hear the fans sing the song they have for me it gives me a great feeling.

"It seems like it is getting louder all the time and as a player it is really good to know you are supported this way.

"Hopefully tonight we will repay their support by getting the result the fans want."

Torres was in the starting XI last Wednesday as the Reds gained a favourable first-leg draw at the Emirates.

Most bookies now make Liverpool favourites to progress to the semi-finals, though El Nino isn't taking anything for granted.

"We were pleased with the result last week because we got an away goal and we came away with a draw," he recalls.

"But that does not mean tonight's game will be straightforward. Arsenal are a very good team and we will have to play well if we are to beat them.

"We have confidence because we are playing well but that does not mean we are taking anything for granted. People are saying we are favourites but for me the tie is quite balanced.

"We have played Arsenal three times this season and each time the score has been 1-1 so that shows that there is not that much between the two teams.

"Earlier this season Arsenal came to Anfield and got a draw and we have just drawn two games at The Emirates. The two teams know each other well and we respect each other so tonight could be just as tight as the previous games."

Meanwhile, Torres has once again revealed that, had things turned out differently, he could have been facing Liverpool instead of playing for them tonight.

Six years ago, then aged just 18, he was top scorer in the Spain side which won the European Under-19 Championships and the continent's top scouts all sat up and took notice of the fleet-footed young forward who terrorised defences with his speed and eye for a goal.

"That's when offers started to come in," Torres recalls. "For example, there was one from Arsenal."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why the hell am i not nervous at all about tonight? I just cant see us losing for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Shut Up! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i cant wait for it...i love CL make or break games. il be a nervous wreck later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Seriously Melion you are going to **** this up for us all!
    Stop tempting fate! :D

prendy wrote: »
    i cant wait for it...i love CL make or break games. il be a nervous wreck later on.

No doubt that when im in the pub at 7 ill start feeling nervous but at the minute i just feel great about the result.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Seriously Melion you are going to **** this up for us all!
    Stop tempting fate! :D

Sorry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Don't worry. I'll sort this.

God, Liverpool are so crap. There is no way i can see them going through. I mean, Torres is overrated! Yeah, he scored 28 goals but sure how many of those were hit at over 80mph?? He's a nothing player. And Benayoun will do nothing if brought on as a substitute. Arsenal will be too strong. In fact i'm not going to bother even watching it, Liverpool have no chance

Yossi is crap

Kuyt is a workhorse but will never be a goalscorer for us

Now, thats 2 goals sorted for us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

And if goes to Peno's, do you think Reina will get anywhere near the ball. Arsenal are superior in every way. No chance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

monkey9 wrote: »
    And if goes to Peno's, do you think Reina will get anywhere near the ball. Arsenal are superior in every way. No chance

Do you know anything about football...?Reina is one if the best penalty stopper's in Europe.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Do you know anything about football...?Reina is one if the best penalty stopper's in Europe.

He was being sarcastic man :D

Anytime someone slags Yossi on here he comes on and scores. its strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Melion wrote: »

sure yossi is on here right up to an hour before the game...the more we slag him the harder he tries.

useless p***k!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its that showboating waster G-Unit who will cost us! *crosses fingers*

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This thread is hard to keep up with.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its that showboating waster G-Unit who will cost us! *crosses fingers*

Mike.
    Yossi is crap

Kuyt is a workhorse but will never be a goalscorer for us

Now, thats 2 goals sorted for us :D
    monkey9 wrote: »

+100.
    Bring back jimmy traore to shore up our leaky defense!
    Arsenal to win by 7 clear goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Rafa's teams are only any good in the league, he just doesn't 'get' Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how are we going to win when that lazy git carragher is going to have to be carried by the rest of the team for the whole game

we've no chance :D

Oh and i forgot to mention that zonal defence will be our downfall and that outside of
    gerrard and torres there is no one capable of scoring in the team.

You lot have jinxed it, you've taken it too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

IrishMike wrote: »
    +100.
    Bring back jimmy traore to shore up our leaky defense!
    Arsenal to win by 7 clear goals

Champions League Winner Jimmy Traore. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Dub13 wrote: »
    This thread is hard to keep up with.

No wonder these psychic lines make money. Can't believe how superstitious fans can get. I just brick it usually before a game, but tonight can't be anything other than a coin-flip on paper, and no message boards jinx is gonna change that.

I think a lot of the reason we 'overachieve' or punch above our weight in Europe is because of our fans. Being underdogs helps unite and inspire the fans. That's why it's good to downplay our chances: logically Arsenal have been the best team in England all season until very recently and should give us a good hiding in the quarters of the one trophy that everyone in Europe covets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The-Rigger wrote: »

Champions League Winner Jimmy Traore. ;)

Carlsberg don't do own goals but if they did they would never be as good as jimmy traores goal against burnley:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ahh, Traore, you used to make me so angry.
    Just checked past players on the 'pool website there, he has Rafa to thank for his CL medal. Didn't know Rafa blocked his move to Everton that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Thanks for that just the thing to get me in the mood for tonight, come on you red men!

so nervous now its not even funny

my favourite youtube ever

• Advertisement

What about this one though, still get a shiver from it :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7TURxUUcj0A

Feckin tears in the eyes from that video, cheers Rigger. COME ON YOU FÚCKING REDMEN!!!!

Now im in the mood for tonight!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

great video, kinda felt strange hearing gillet in it though, back when things were rosy. Oh well, at least that talk has quietened down. It's probably been posted to tweedomcome but my favourite is still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Thought Mourinho was very gracious at the end too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

what a goal from agger, total ****ing legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

oh crap now im all teary, that was the greatest Y.N.W.A ever! I hope it gets beaten tonight!God dammit what other videos are there in the build up to this match, Have the scarf out ready an all now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Great vid for the build up. Had never see it before actually. The Al Pacino speech fits in so well with it. Nervous as hell now and still over an hour to go!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Liverpool team in full: Reina, Carragher, Aurelio, Skrtel, Hyypia, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres, Crouch. Subs: Itandje, Voronin, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Riise, Arbeloa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina, Carragher, Aurelio, Skrtel, Hyypia, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres, Crouch.

Subs: Itandje, Voronin, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Riise, Arbeloa.

Reina

-Carra
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio-

Masch
    Alonso

-Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Torres-

Crouch

????????????????????????????????????????????

Mike.

G'wan the crouchie.
    Maybe they will line up diffferently?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mike65 wrote: »
    Reina, Carragher, Aurelio, Skrtel, Hyypia, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres, Crouch.

Subs: Itandje, Voronin, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Riise, Arbeloa.

Reina

-Carra
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio-

Masch
    Alonso

-Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Torres-

Crouch

????????????????????????????????????????????

Mike.

I would go with

Reina

-Carra
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio-

Masch
    Alonso

-Kuyt
    Crouch
    Gerrard-

Torres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

maybe gerrard wont be so far forward and have 3 out and out central midfielders??????

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I was thinking of that kind of formation when PHB felt Owen could fit the team now. Personally, I'm loving it if that's the formation Rafa's going for. Crouch played so well on Saturday so he deserves a shot, and Torres coming in from the left after a few knock downs from Crouchie...well I feel a hell of alot more confident we'll score with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

While I'm happy to see Crouch start...Im really unsure about the formation. Gerrard on the wing ? Crouch on the wing ? Torres on the wing ? None are preferable!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tusky wrote: »
    While I'm happy to see Crouch start...Im really unsure about the formation. Gerrard on the wing ? Crouch on the wing ? Torres on the wing ? None are preferable!

Reina

-Carra
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio-

Masch
    Alonso

Gerrard

Kuyt

Crouch

Torres

;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Finnan is to meet with Brady next week. He (Finnan) wanted the meeting! is he coming out of International retirement. Hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

glad crouch is starting. Rest of it bizarre though. Make or break time. If we lose he has too go.

glad crouch is starting. Rest of it bizarre though. Make or break time. If we lose he has too go.

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Extremely attacking from Liverpool, ballsy, but could be stupid. I think Rafa realises that Arsenal are probably going to score.

I think it's an odd move, because the problem with Liverpools defence is certainly pace, with Carragher RB and Hyypia in the center, they are leaving themselves open to being exposed if they commit too much forward, which they seem to be willing to do.

I can see all guns blazing for 20 minutes, trying to rattle Arsenal by pressuring them up front, hoping to nick the early goal to give some assurances, then sitting back and defending a lead.

As for formations, I think it'll be a 4-2-3-1, with Crouch the one. Instead of Gerrard and Torres, you'll see Torres in Gerrards role and Crouch in Torres role. Then Gerrard will go where Babel normally is, and Kuyt will be where he always is.

Then the question is where is he playing Gerrard Kuyt and Torres. I could see Gerrard on the left (he has played there for England) Kuyt on the right, Torres behind Crouch. Would leave a bit of defensive cover, and allow Gerrard to work on Arsenals weakest area, where you got the goal last time, RB.

Kinda re-evaluating my prediction of an Arsenal victory now, I think this tactic Rafa is employing could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

finally got broadband up here. cant wait for the match, not sure what to make of the team lineup though, its a bit of a crazy one!

happy for crouch alright, but the old 4-2-3-1 has been doing the business..this does leave us with 'impact Babel' though which is a great asset to have on the bench too if we're chasing a goal.

Come on the pool!

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Extremely attacking from Liverpool, ballsy, but could be stupid. I think Rafa realises that Arsenal are probably going to score.

I think it's an odd move, because the problem with Liverpools defence is certainly pace, with Carragher RB and Hyypia in the center, they are leaving themselves open to being exposed if they commit too much forward, which they seem to be willing to do.

If Liverpool's defensive problems are pace, then with Crouch up top they don't need to push out very far to get the ball to him.. practically anything put up his way at height will be won by him and then it's a matter of winning 2nd balls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement