Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the best european nights. What are people's thoughts on Kuyt? Obviously he's not good enough to play up front, but is he a longterm option on the right?

Kuyt is the worlds first Attacting Outside Right Striker-Defender. As time has gone on he's settled into the role well but I can't belive its Rafas prefered solution to the right side.

Penant clearly is not the answer either, or he'd be playing more games.

BTW why was Walcott not swiped down? It woud have been worth the yellow.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Goalies are a funny breed. Nearly all top class goalies are amazing shot stoppers, but it's just their decision making that seperates the good from the great. Reina's decision making imo has never been great, he just makes up for it with amazing shot stopping. He is however young, and decision making improves with him.

---

Kuyt is the solution until the transfer window. Tracks back well, gets stuck in, and is always making runs so provides an outlet from defence, which is a huge thing for Liverpool, especially since Mascherano tends to be very deep, and Alsono isn't the player he used to be for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

One of the best european nights. What are people's thoughts on Kuyt? Obviously he's not good enough to play up front, but is he a longterm option on the right?

We need Gerrard in the middle of the park and because of his attacking tendencies we need someone who can direct play from the middle and put in the crunching tackles too. It's a pity Mascherano isn't a bit more comfortable on the ball, because Alonso will probably be gone this summer.

The more he plays there the more comfortable he seems.
    He still has to learn to cross more effectively but he suits Liverpools style
    as they are not a get to the end line and float a cross in sort of team.
    Instead they play counterattack and use the pace and skill of Torres and
    Gerrard to score goals
    The more i see of him the more i think he could and is a very very good
    option on the right.
    He is probably the best defensive winger on earth :D (ultimate paradox)
    But seriously i would have no problem starting next year with Kuyt as
    a winger and would rate him ahead of pennant and Yossi by some distance.
    Babel, kuyt and another winger who would be first choice ahead of both
    would be my main hope for the new season.
    That and Newcastle to come in and buy Risse, Carson and Voronin for 15m :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Thnaks to Liverpool for there part in a great game of football.

From,
    Everyone except Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote: »
    Kuyt is the worlds first Attacting Outside Right Striker-Defender. As time has gone on he's settled into the role well but I can't belive its Rafas prefered solution to the right side.

Penant clearly is not the answer either, or he'd be playing more games.

BTW why was Walcott not swiped down? It woud have been worth the yellow.

Yes, Kuyt is the best Defending Attacking-Wide-Midfielder that we have! He is actually good at it, but whether a team long-term can use that as a tactic I have my doubts. We have seen him back defending as far back as RB positions, etc. He works very hard, Rafa likes that, and the team needs that. With him not being asked to score goals, it has actually relieved him and we dont get a chance to see him make those misses as he was doing and is still capable of. He wont make a good striker, ala Torres. I think though that Liverpool need a better ride-sided midfielder. Rafa has tried everything. Kromkamp, Finnan, Gerrard, Garcia, was Gonzalez right, Pennant, as RM. People say that Rafa makes good selections, but he certainly tries many many combinations. Pennant is not the answer as he is just not good enough. McGeady on the left anyone with Babel on the right?

Walcott was not swiped down because no-one could get near enough. Alonso does not have the pace to keep up with him. Masch does but was behind starting the chase, and then Hyppia took Masch out of it rather than Walcott! Ironically, this Arsenal goal and run by Walcott came on an Arsenal break after Liverpool were attacking and Gerrard aired a volley chance on the edge of the box. Carra was also up on the attack as were many Liverpool players. We got caught on the hop. If Carra was a CB, this goal would have probably been prevented, even if it required a yellow!

By the way, it was a very clean game with only 17 fouls.

Liverpool had 13 attempts at goal to Arsenal's 7.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

aurelio had a chance to take him down

he missed but could have grabbed his leg with his arm which he should done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

redspider wrote: »
    I would have played Carra and Skrtel as CB's. Hyypia for me just doesnt have the pace, and despite his goal, he rarely gets these, maybe about 1 from every 10 corners. He is 100 times better at corners than Jamie is though, I dont know how good Skrtel is yet. Hyypia is good in the air, and his positional sense is okay. But he can get badly caught for pace which costs us goals.
    I'd say the number is more like 1 from 30, but thats more to do with absolutely pathetic delivery from corners for a majority of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Well, what a game. I think Chelsea are the best team left in the champions league (apart from liverpool) so if we beat them I cant see us loosing the final (Barca or United)

Well, what a game. I think Chelsea are the best team left in the champions league (apart from liverpool) so if we beat them I cant see us loosing the final (Barca or United)

if only it was that easy....gonna be alot of nail biting and teeth grinding done in the semi matches, and the final after if we get through....i dont know how much more i can take!
    I was actually in the shakes when Gerard stuck that penalty away!

Think the complete opposite to be honest.
    United are the best team left follow by Barca then Chelsea.
    They looked pretty shocking last night against Fernerbache.
    Honestly think Liverpool have an easier path to the final that United at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Cyrus wrote: »
    aurelio had a chance to take him down

he missed but could have grabbed his leg with his arm which he should done

He tried. Don't think he wanted to make it too obvious incase he seen red. It was some run.

Great game of ball. Thought we were finished at 2-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

IrishMike wrote: »
    Think the complete opposite to be honest.
    United are the best team left follow by Barca then Chelsea.
    They looked pretty shocking last night against Fernerbache.
    Honestly think Liverpool have an easier path to the final that United at this stage.

agree that utd are the best team left but we've had a tougher run.
    inter arsenal and chelsea is much tougher than utd. especially with barca's defence.id happily swap chelsae for barca.

as for all the penalty talk etc. what if's dont win games, goals do and we scored 5 over 2 legs. end of.

prendy wrote: »
    agree that utd are the best team left but we've had a tougher run.
    inter arsenal and chelsea is much tougher than utd. especially with barca's defence.id happily swap chelsae for barca.

as for all the penalty talk etc. what if's dont win games, goals do and we scored 5 over 2 legs. end of.

We had a much tougher run until now.
    But in the Semis i think i would prefer to play Chelsea rather than Barca.

Essien is out.
    No cech or cudicini more than likely
    Grant is a complete bluffer so tactics wont win the match for Chelsea.
    Chelsea are also doing the unthinkable, leaking goals and this is down
    to bad organisation, whether thats Henk Cates fault or Grants is really
    irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

this grant fella isnt that much of a bluffer,they are in with a great chance of winning the league.If the special one had won one more game at the start they would be facing united knowing its a winner takes all.
    Chelsea may not seem as tough as when jose was there but they are still formidable and unbeaten at home in along,long time.

On the past few matches with rafa finding a formation that really works it seems liverpool are 3 or 4 players short.Do we expect that to be sorted out in the summer.Personally i think two wing back,and 2 wide men or one and a striker and we become a much much better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Can't understand why people are giving Kuyt a hard time. He was one of our better players last night, certainly man of the match in the 1st leg. In fact, i think Kuyt is turning into a fine right sided midfielder in the mould of Ray Houghton. Yeah, he has no pace nor the quick feet of a Ronaldo, but there's a big difference between being a winger and a right sided midfielder. His workrate is top class, he tracks back and he can get forward. In fact, he could be our new Ray Kennedy. Switching from an attacker to the right side (albeit Kennedy was on the left)
    The penalty last night was a penalty. Why are people arguing with this. Like last week, it's a case of if it was outside the penalty area it would be a free kick, so the fact that it's in the penalty area should not make a difference. We just got lucky with the referee.
    And saying Reina isn't a safe pair of hands. Yeah, he's made a couple of mistakes lately but who could you genuinely say is a safe pair of hands. Van der Saar isnt. He can be dodgy at times, but overall is still a great keeper. Cech has made a few mistakes in the past year or so. Grobbelaar was dodgy a lot of times when we dominated the eighties. You just have to take a look at Reina's record since he's joined and the records that he's broken.

raven136 wrote: »
    this grant fella isnt that much of a bluffer,they are in with a great chance of winning the league.If the special one had won one more game at the start they would be facing united knowing its a winner takes all.
    Chelsea may not seem as tough as when jose was there but they are still formidable and unbeaten at home in along,long time.

They are formidable because of the amazing squad they have though.
    Everywhere they have world class players who can win a match on their own.
    The problem is they play ultra defensive and a lot of those players look
    extremely unhappy and their form is not what it was.
    Even John Terry is playing well below standard.
    The loss of Essien is huge IMHO.
    He is a younger and more dynamic version of Makelele and its a massive
    boost that he will miss the first game.
    If Liverpool can scrape another 1-1 draw away from home i would be ultra
    confident of another CL final appearance because i dont think Grant will
    be able to tactically change it enough for Chelsea to beat Liverpool
    in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

i'm pretty sure the first leg is anfield though

I do respect Kuyt's work ethic for the team but I feel the only thing we are missing now is 1-2 classy wingers as the rest of the pitch is finally covered! Srktel played very well too last night so its good that we finally have good cover in that position! The Djimi days are long gone :D. I love Mascherano's role in the team, I honestly havent seen a player that breaks up play as good as him. Hes such a niggily little ****er :) , always kicking at the opposition & winding them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the dynamic is different this times as liverpool are at stamford bridge in the 2nd leg and no team would fancy getting a result against Chelsea there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i'm pretty sure the first leg is anfield though

1st leg is at Anfield April 22. Away leg is April 30

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It is.

Lol that pretty much ****s my reasoning so doesnt it ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

2nd leg away can be turned to your own advantage if you manage to shut out the opposing team in the first leg. I don't think it's fantasy land to think that Liverpool can do that, but anyone who underestimates the difficulty in getting past Chelsea this time are not thinking straight, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as long as we dont concede in the first leg i think we will be favourites to make the final. but that is a big if considering the 2 we let in last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Chelsea haven't lost at Stamford Bridge in about ten years so we will definitely need to score a couple at Anfield to give us a cushion against the inevitable Drogba/Joe Cole assault.

spockety wrote: »
    2nd leg away can be turned to your own advantage if you manage to shut out the opposing team in the first leg. I don't think it's fantasy land to think that Liverpool can do that, but anyone who underestimates the difficulty in getting past Chelsea this time are not thinking straight, to put it mildly.

Yeah exactly, like Liverpool V Arsenal form wont count for alot, and who knows by the time the second leg comes around the league situation may have changed for Chelsea and the Champions league could be all they have to play for! Also they do really owe us one after the last two semi finals.....any chance of bringing back Luis Garcia? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea are playing awful. But i think they may well get through against us. we have beaten them in 3 semi finals in the last 3 years, they have to win one at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

gucci wrote: »
    ....any chance of bringing back Luis Garcia? :rolleyes:

about as much chance as getting Danny Murphy to play against Utd in the final:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

yom 1 wrote: »
    about as much chance as getting Danny Murphy to play against Utd in the final:p
    Please don't even joke about that! While they are long overdue a tonking from Liverpool I don't think my nerves could take it. The stakes would just be too high. If we win it'll be the greatest victory over them ever but if we lose....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Lets not forget the potential significance of Chelsea facing Utd at Stamford bridge in between the two legs. United may well break Chelsea's unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge (you'd fancy it on current form - Chelsea were crap last night) and Chelsea could be somewhat in disarray before the second leg. Its all ifs and buts but I think its looking quite good for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

We've played pretty damn decently away from home for the majority of the season so i can't see any reason why going to Stamford bridge in the second leg would be any great dis-advantage. Plus Chelsea will be bound to be missing players so it's all good, Plus to be fair we put 4 past Arsenal Last Night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

to be fair im not sure if having the second leg at home was an advantage last night

the away goal is priceless and you only need one chance!

Anyone hear George Hamiltons commentary when Torres turned away from Senderos to score??

"And the speedboat has sunk the tanker!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Cyrus wrote: »
    to be fair im not sure if having the second leg at home was an advantage last night

the away goal is priceless and you only need one chance!

i think it deffo suits us to play 2nd leg at home coz the croud play such a big part of the CL games.

but having said that if we can stop them scoring in the first leg then nick one in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

There's agruements to be made for both. If Liverpool can keep a clean sheet at home, a single goal at Stamford bridge would go a long way.

• Advertisement

Goal machine Fernando Torres is dreaming of Moscow glory as Liverpool march on in the Champions League.

Torres netted for the 29th time in what is a truly remarkable debut season in English football to help secure last night’s dramatic 4-2 quarter-final second leg win over Arsenal.

And the 24-year-old is confident Liverpool can come out on top of yet another semi-final showdown with Chelsea later this month.

Torres arrived at Anfield last summer having never played in Europe for his boyhood club Atletico Madrid. Now he has bagged five goals in Liverpool’s roller-coaster ride into the last four.

The Spaniard said: "This was the greatest night of my career so far. My dream now is to get to the final, it is what I have always wanted.

"And the fact that I am enjoying myself here in Liverpool makes it even more important.

"Yes we can get to the Moscow final in May. The two league games we have had with Chelsea this season were both draws, very close. We know we can do it."

He added: "I came to Liverpool for nights and games like this. It is hard to believe, the emotion, the fans, the high-tempo, everything about this is what I wanted and expected.

"It was a good game, I’m sure, for the people watching. And Arsenal are a fine side and played some very nice football. But we are in the semi-finals, which is what matters.

"We knew Arsenal would be difficult and Chelsea would be waiting. We needed to win and win well. It was difficult but we had worked hard all week with our preperation for the game and everything was worthwhile in the end.

"Maybe when Arsenal made it 2-2 I felt we were out. It was so near the end, five minutes away.

"But the magical place that Anfield is got us through. The fans were tremendous, but we had to play with our heads, not just our hearts.

"We had the believe, and we got two more goals in those final minutes to prove it. Liverpool is special, a special place, special fans, special city and a special team."

Life on Merseyside could not be better for Torres, already a Kop folk hero in the mould of Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush.

He said: "I’m so happy to be playing for Liverpool and to be living in this city. We do this for the supporters, and we aim to get to the final for them.

"Chelsea will be difficult, but the same as playing Arsenal, really. It is another English league side and it will be physical and a strong match.

"Now we have two games to get to the final. We have drawn with them twice in the league this season, so that means it will be very tight.

"We have two targets, to finish in the top four and to win the Champions League. We are getting to the final a step at a time, and we also must keep going in the league, too, to make sure we qualify for next season.

"I do not have any more personal targets, I am just doing my job to score goals. That is what I do.

"Everything was wonderful, all the work, the team play, the goals, everything. And to beat a great side like Arsenal, what a night.

"It was a very happy day for us."

Midfielder Javier Mascherano, currently suspended from domestic matches but able to play in Europe, could be heading for his second Champions League final in a year after his controversial arrival in English football.

He said: "Against Arsenal it was a good win and we will enjoy this moment because we know how difficult winning at this level is, so we are very happy now.

"The quarter-finals were two very difficult matches. In the first 20 minutes here we were no good, bad, but we came back well.

"They could play how they wanted to, but after Sami Hyypia’s goal it was very good for us and the game changed then.

"In the second half, we could play how we wanted to and score how we wanted to.

"As for me, I know I made a mistake against Manchester United with the red card, so now I will try to concentrate on the Champions League.

"For this week, it has been the only competition in which I have been allowed to play in."

i ****ing love Torres.

anyone else see this bird in the crowd last night doing a bit of bouncing? i thought i was delusional!

(i know you seen it Melion!;))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25482615@N03/2400989730/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Great win last night lads, best experience Ive had as a neutral. The Botanic Inn in Belfast was absolutely rocking. I was an honorary Liverpool fan for the night, and picked a good night too it seems :D I do however feel a little dirty, I celebrated Gerrard and Babel's goals a bit too enthusiastically. I even sang Sami Hyypia songs with my mate at the nightclub after, but that earned us free drinks for the night, so Im not complaining :D

See ye in the final!

i cant believe you did that Archi, i've never liked you cause you're a manc, but at least i used to respect you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Archimedes wrote: »
    Great win last night lads, best experience Ive had as a neutral. The Botanic Inn in Belfast was absolutely rocking. I was an honorary Liverpool fan for the night, and picked a good night too it seems :D I do however feel a little dirty, I celebrated Gerrard and Babel's goals a bit too enthusiastically. I even sang Sami Hyypia songs with my mate at the nightclub after, but that earned us free drinks for the night, so Im not complaining :D

See ye in the final!

I was in the Bot in 05 for the Quarters, Semis and Final. Unbelievable... It's my favourite place to watch the Chmps Lge. If you think last night was special imagine the emotion after coming from 3 down to win the European cup!!!

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    I was in the Bot in 05 for the Quarters, Semis and Final. Unbelievable... It's my favourite place to watch the Chmps Lge. If you think last night was special imagine the emotion after coming from 3 down to win the European cup!!!

I can only imagine!

Its a great pub, absolutely sensational for big matches - and the layout is great. Long stretch of bar which is always a plus! Heading back again tonight for our match, even though I should be over at Old Trafford right now grrr..

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i ****ing love Torres.

anyone else see this bird in the crowd last night doing a bit of bouncing? i thought i was delusional!

(i know you seen it Melion!;))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25482615@N03/2400989730/

Saw her a few times but didnt realise who she was.
    She is not exactly drop dead gorgeous but if she is good enough for Nando
    then i definitely would :D

it aint Nandos Mrs?!

where ya hear that?

?
    Reread my post i didnt say that at all did i?
    I said if she is good enough for Nando then i definitely would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IrishMike wrote: »
    ?
    Reread my post i didnt say that at all did i?
    I said if she is good enough for Nando then i definitely would

Surely that implies she is Nandos girlfriend ?

I don't think she is especially hot.

Righto i must have read Mr Alans post wrong

/me holds his hands up and walks away!

Surely nando can't be with her, I thought some of you guys were after him a couple of weeks back,

heres Torres Mrs....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/FUTBOLGIRL18/Fernando%20and%20Olalla/Torresandgf3.jpg

Childhood sweetheart.

I reckon i'm still in with a shot though ;)

She looks mighty pissed off, must be jealous of Stevies and Nandos blossoming relationship! :)

Is that Torres' car?

If it is...

lol

Mr Alan wrote: »
    heres Torres Mrs....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/FUTBOLGIRL18/Fernando%20and%20Olalla/Torresandgf3.jpg

Childhood sweetheart.

I reckon i'm still in with a shot though ;)

She looks mighty pissed off, must be jealous of Stevies and Nandos blossoming relationship! :)

Go for it Mr Alan lol,

Hell if it doesn't work out with put in a good word for the rest of us :D:rolleyes:;):D

Hey Mini's are deadly!!!! Nando A Legend!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement