Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Atlectico are not famous for thier bling culture, clearly. Just as well he didn't join Man Utd.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Archimedes wrote: »
    Is that Torres' car?

If it is...

lol

He did take a pay cut to come to the club ;)

In fairness, I reckon it would be 1 of many cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mike65 wrote: »
    Atlectico are not famous for thier bling culture, clearly. Just as well he didn't join Man Utd.

Mike.

Liverpool gotz no bling eitha bihatch.

For some reason black guys in dude shades can get away with that sort of thing! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mr Alan wrote: »
    heres Torres Mrs....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/FUTBOLGIRL18/Fernando%20and%20Olalla/Torresandgf3.jpg

Childhood sweetheart.

I reckon i'm still in with a shot though ;)
    stick-dan wrote: »
    Go for it Mr Alan lol,

Hell if it doesn't work out with put in a good word for the rest of us :D:rolleyes:;):D

Mr Alan meant a shot with Nando, not Mrs Nando. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah .. as GH said on RTE .. 11 goals in 11 games, great run he's having.

Semi should be good .. Carra had a good game. As did Masch. I wonder if he will go back to Torres on his own up top in the 1st game ... might work better against Chelski.

I thought Masch had a poor enough game..he gave the ball away in dangerous positions numerous times :( (That's the first dodgy performance i've seen from him (not including the utd game)

jank wrote: »
    Congrats on your win. But man do the cards fall for liverpool!

I'm sick of this crap..If it was UTD or Chelsea people would be saying "that's the sign of a good team"...determination and belief is the key.

If you ask me there were a few players that didn't even play well and we still got a result (Gerrard and Masch, i though had dodgy games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i actually did mean nando, thought that was obvious?! ;)

Jeff Winter on last nights penalty:

..."We've had managers in the past saying 'I did not see it'. But when a manager comes on and says 'I have seen it and it definitely was not a penalty', then it leaves me scratching my head because it's almost like a fan who doesn't want it to be a penalty because he doesn't want his team to be beaten.

But, within the game we talk about ex-players becoming referee's. All right Arsene Wenger didn't play football at the highest level, but he's in the game, he's one of the most-respected managers in the world and if he doesn't see that was as a penalty then I don't know where we're going. It was a penalty."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

ah nando,i love you...sorry..lost myself a bit there...

i like the way he dives a mini...he seems more humble than feckin ronaldo/terry and that lark anyways!

also,that bird bouncing in the crowd was class

• Advertisement

Aldo on Talk City last night

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Tp_4U4bxk

"Rubbing a little bit of salt into the wounds of Arsenal after 89 where they hurt me, hurt our fans, hurt our club with that last minute win, tell you what, we've done it to you, have that! 4-2 BYE BYE WENGER, OUT YOU GO!"

legend :)

PHB wrote: »
    and why in the world didn't Mascherano foul Walcott on his run?

I'd bet anything that if he ran like that against UTD, scholesy would rip him out of it..and not even get a booking (because he can't tackle, he's just clumbsy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

mada999 wrote: »
    I'd bet anything that if he ran like that against UTD, scholesy would rip him out of it..and not even get a booking (because he can't tackle, he's just clumbsy?)

Cos Sami got in his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

mada999 wrote: »

Nah...

Kuyt would take him out of it and get a thumbs up from the Ref :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Nah...

I've decided to take the Fank LeBouf line with you from now on. So everytime you post something, know that whether I reply or not, I will be saying "I dont care, we won"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Nah...

For a supporter of a team just knocked out of a lesser competition you are really píssed over this. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Stekelly wrote: »
    I've decided to take the Fank LeBouf line with you from now on. So everytime you post something, know that whether I reply or not, I will be saying "I dont care, we won"

I won zee world cup :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Fecks sake so disappointed, feel like crying..

Yee will take some stopping now.

Leave the guy alone, he's upset and probably still feels like crying.
    But as you can see he likes us really.

dobsdave wrote: »

Nah , he called us P***ks in the Arsenal thread.

Nah , he called us P***ks in the Arsenal thread.

Sorry Ste, I forgot to put this in the end of my post: (:rolleyes:)

He has been talking crap all day, best ignored imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Leave the guy alone, he's upset and probably still feels like crying.

All true ( except liking yee) :o

Sadly yee will take some stopping, hoping my main man Thierry can do it, the Drog will have something to say about it too...

• Advertisement

Sorry Ste, I forgot to put this in the end of my post:(:rolleyes:)

He has been talking crap all day, best ignored imo.

/Ronan Keating voice/---- "Fair play"
    /Ronan Keating voice/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

/Ronan Keating voice/---- "Fair play"
    /Ronan Keating voice/

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
    :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Just watching the Utd match, and thinking that all I could hear was Roma supporters for the first 10 mins.. thinking this is nothing compared to Anfield..

Then I start hearing a song that makes me think the match must be at Anfield...?
    The United fans are singing some parody of the new Torres song, and it's the first peep I've heard out of them! WTF.. every United match I have watched this season I've heard them sing their rip off of "we won it 5 times" as well, no matter who they are playing.. all they can think about is Liverpool...?

Now I'm no psychologist......

Edit: And just as I say that, they belt out a rousing rendition of their "5 times" one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Mr Alan meant a shot with Nando, not Mrs Nando. :p
    i actually did mean nando, thought that was obvious?! ;)

..."We've had managers in the past saying 'I did not see it'. But when a manager comes on and says 'I have seen it and it definitely was not a penalty', then it leaves me scratching my head because it's almost like a fan who doesn't want it to be a penalty because he doesn't want his team to be beaten.

But, within the game we talk about ex-players becoming referee's. All right Arsene Wenger didn't play football at the highest level, but he's in the game, he's one of the most-respected managers in the world and if he doesn't see that was as a penalty then I don't know where we're going. It was a penalty."

I meant with nando too, Hell who wouldn't!:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Leaving aside the Torres love-in I would like to point out that Jeff Winter is the referee who gave that penalty against Hyypia in the Goodison derby 2001. For those that don't remember, that was the one where Gary MacAllister scored from 40 yards right at the end to settle it. Hyypia and Duncan Derguson both tussled for the ball, all of a sudden the whistle went and Everton had a penalty.
    Based on that, I wouldn't be too quick to trust his judgement on what constitutes a penalty!

spockety wrote: »
    The United fans are singing some parody of the new Torres song,

Everton fan told me after the Derby that we had stolen that song from United.
    His comment:
    "yeah but they have John O Shea in their one and the words are different"

from Guardian
    A peak audience of nearly 10 million viewers watched Liverpool knock Arsenal out of the Champions League, giving ITV1 a ratings win last night, April 8.

ITV1 averaged 7.5 million viewers, a 31% share of the audience, across two and a half hours of coverage from 7.30pm, according to unofficial overnights.

Live coverage of the match itself averaged 8.2 million viewers over two hours from 7.45pm, making it the most popular Champions League tie on ITV1 so far this season.

Viewing peaked in the 15 minutes from 9.15pm with 9.5 million viewers, in the frantic closing stages of a match that saw the advantage swing back and forth between the two sides.

Liverpool's thrilling 4-2 win, which gave the team a 5-3 aggregate victory over the London side, easily had the better of BBC1's Holby City, which drew 5.4 million viewers in the 8pm hour.

w00t we beat Holby City! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is there a champion's league spot up for grabs on that one ?

Everton fan told me after the Derby that we had stolen that song from United.
    His comment:
    "yeah but they have John O Shea in their one and the words are different"

Ah, my bad in that case!

Apparently this predates it anyway.. though no matter, open season.

While on the bus to Villa Park haroo, haroo,
    I heard my mate make this remark haroo,haroo,
    We made poor Chelsea weep and ill
    Its Liverpool 2 and Chelsea 0
    and we'll all get blind drunk when Liverpool win the cup.

Chorus:
    So here's to Lawrence, Byrne St John, haroo haroo,
    Milne and Yeats and Stevenson haroo,haroo
    Hunt and Thompson what a man,
    Lawler Smith and Callaghan,
    and we'll all get blind drunk when Liverpool win the cup

For the Liverpool lads raise your glass haroo, haroo
    To Stevenson who made the pass - haroo, haroo
    Thompson had them in a trance,
    Bonetti never stood a chance,
    And we'll all get blind drunk when Liverpool win the cup.

It's Wembley on the first of May - haroo, haroo,
    It's Leeds United labour day - haroo, haroo,
    We'll be there to cheer Bill Shankly's side,
    And bring the cup to Merseyside,

And if it's a draw you'll hear us moan,
    Lets use the coin that beat Cologne,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yeah it's an old Liverpool song, which ManU stole for JOS, and now claim we stole it for Torres.

In fairness, there's not much reason to be singing about JOS.

• Advertisement

Hey the torres song may be "borrowed" but it is miles better than any other rendition of it...

Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9, nar nar nar nar nar nar nar nar......

Sorry spockety,I was more having a laugh at the Everton guy who maintained we had stolen a song where the words are completely different and the tune was actually an Irish song from 1900(maybe earlier dont quote me).

I promise I wont forget to use smilies in future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

malice_ wrote: »
    Jeff Winter is the referee who gave that penalty against Hyypia in the Goodison derby 2001. For those that don't remember, that was the one where Gary MacAllister scored from 40 yards right at the end to settle it. !

What a great goal! Thanks for the reminder! Would love to see a goal like that knocked in by some quick thinking individual Vs Chelsea in the away leg :D

Here's a Youtube video of the game. I'd forgotten that Emily Heskey managed to look like a decent striker, Igor Biscan was sent off and God missed a penalty.

Just the MacAllister goal by itself:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Just got this in a mail from a mate who is an Arsenal fan

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=505543

Talk about your bitters:pac:

Christ i thought i was a sore loser!

They honestly only saw a win for arsenal didn't they! They are so bitter if arsenal fans are now to support chelsea in the semi's. Kinda feel bad for them cos now they'll be losers supporting a losing team in the semi in two weeks!:):)

How can Chelsea have the audacity to bleat about soft penalties? Are their little brains so overloaded that they have already forgotten the performance of Rob Styles in October?

stick-dan wrote: »
    Christ i thought i was a sore loser!

They honestly only saw a win for arsenal didn't they! They are so bitter if arsenal fans are now to support chelsea in the semi's. Kinda feel bad for them cos now they'll be losers supporting a losing team in the semi in two weeks!:):)

In fairness my mate sent it laughing at the bitterness of the Chelsea fans

That article is hilarious....

sounds to me like Chelsea realise how ****e their fans are and are appealing to try and get some more?!

wonder if they'll give the fans nice little plastic flags to wave again this year?

sham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Every previous time two English teams have met in a European club competition the team that is ranked lower in the league table at the time of the tie has progressed from the fixture.

This rather surprising statistic was maintained on Tuesday. However, it is inevitable that the trend will be bucked at some point. I honestly believe that Chelsea will beat us in the semis.

The two league ties so far this season have demonstrated that there is not a whole lot between the teams, so one could be tempted to talk about Liverpool's European prowess or the questionable form shown by Chelsea against Fernabache. However, the idea that Liverpool would triumph over a rival with the better squad on paper in three consecutive two legged affairs is slightly outlandish. Indeed, the idea that any fixture this evenly matched could have the same winner three times in a row is out there.

That the second leg is in Stamford Bridge this time around is crucial and should not be underestimated. The last two times (particularly in 2005) the atmosphere in Anfield for the second legs was massively passionate and intimidating. Is it the only reason Liverpool won? Of course not. But it surely adds a couple of percentage points of edge - which can be enough when things are so tight.

You can talk about the shortcomings of Grant - but Chelsea have top players all over the pitch and the addition of a proven pressure game player and leader like Ballack means that they will have nothing to fear as a group. There remit is clear: get a draw at Anfield and bring them back home to London where Liverpool have struggled to find results under Benitez.

Can Liverpool win? Of course they can. Is it an advantage that we can rest players the Saturday in between? Unquestionably. But there is no divine plan for a Liverpool / Utd final and I feel the law of averages is stacked against us. Here's hoping though..!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i know i shouldn't really lower myself to this but (bold text quoted from that site)

And that sense of grievance was compounded by last night`s Swedish referee Peter Frojdfeldt, who gave a penalty for an identical foul when Kolo Touré held back Ryan Babel.

At least they admit it was a penalty :pac::pac:

At that point the penalty (scored by Ickle Stevie Gerrard and accompanied by his trademark mentalist berserker slalom towards the fans) brought Liverpool back into a tie which they were, by then, losing.

i dunno what game they were watching, he didnt dive towards any fans, i seen him run behind the goals then back towards the sideline to celebrate with his team mates (J A Risse who was warming up etc)

In the interests of public order in Russia`s capital city, Muscovites will be willing Chelsea to win the tie.

I'm Sure :rolleyes:

What a pack of tossers

That article is hilarious....

sounds to me like Chelsea realise how ****e their fans are and are appealing to try and get some more?!

wonder if they'll give the fans nice little plastic flags to wave again this year?

sham.

Aye, Ray Wilkins on Sky Sports last night said that the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge was truly awful, and Chelsea fans would have to seriously up their game if they are going to knock Liverpool out of their stride.

at one point the other night during the fenerbache game, the commentator actually noted that you could hear the players talking to eachother. Truely mystifying. They only real noise they seemed to make was when they proceeded to boo their players off at half time, despite being one up.

All hail Gary Mac! Probably the best "short" signing in modern times.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    All hail Gary Mac! Probably the best "short" signing in modern times.

Mike.

A hero who single handly made me look forward to going bald.
    Gary i salute you!

• Advertisement

his baldy head!

wat a waste of money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So its Man Utd and Barca in the other semi-final, no surprises there. Roma did have some opportunities though but were coming from an impossible position and were never likely to do it even if they did score from that penalty. Barca are in a bit of a mess it has to be said. The Ronaldinho situation and that of the manager too. Its not a happy camp. Still, they have talent so are dangerous no matter what their form.

I think we can progress past Chelsea in our semi. Yes, its true that they are due to beat us at some stage in a semi-final, and the ties could be close, indeed everything is pointing that way. Goals can and do come from nowhere at times, so its almost impossible to call. But we are in a good position, we have nothing to be afraid of and our confidence is high. The question for me will be whether we go and blitz from the start, use the occasion and the Anfield atmosphere (which Chelsea players themselves have admitted affects them) to good effect, and go for the jugular.

I think one goal could be enough, but 2-0 would be our target. But I have no idea what Rafa will select as a formation. 4-2-3-1 would be my option, probably with Babel. Where is Luis Garcia when you need him though as he was made for these games.

I expect us to get a tough game at the Bridge. There a 4-2-3-1 would have to be the selection imo, looking for chances on the break, which Torres could exploit with his pace, the way he knocks a ball past someone and the way he can crack in a shot. Linkin up with Gerrard of course in the centre.

I think Gerrard will relish the 2 legs, even look forward to it. He knows that we can beat Chelsea, and he is right. He didnt buckle under the pressure of taking that penalty the other night.

As for the final, Barca for us would clearly be the better option. Their defence is leaky and they are very beatable. Its no secret that we have not done well against Man Utd in recent years and have failed abysmally, and this is ingrained in all the players minds and our manager. Man Utd are our bogey team and they are whipping us of late, painful I know.

The only silver lining in that cloud is that the final will be played in Moscow, a once off, a neutral venue and it will really FEEL like a european night, it will feel surreal to fans and players. It wont be like a premier league game on a Sat or Sun morning or afternoon. Also, none of the Man Utd players (apart froim Giggs, Scholes?) have played in such a final. Ferguson wont be majorly comfortable himself. Although he will be much happier, as will the Man Utd players, playing Liverpool in the final than say Chelsea, or even Barca in the final.

We nearly had a Liverpool-Man Utd final last year, only for Kaka's brilliance. We may get it this year though, although perhaps Messi's brilliance will get them through.

Put on your seat-belts on .... and enjoy the ride .... this is likely to be a roller-coaster.

Redspider

worth noting that the one time we met Utd in cup competition, we were victorious ;)

Anyone else shocked at how vunerable Chelsea looked from set pieces the other night?

Are Messi and Ronaldinho not out for the rest of the season?

IrishMike wrote: »
    A hero who single handly made me look forward to going bald.
    Gary i salute you!

LOL:D:D

He was quality though!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement