Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

redspider wrote: »

I think Gerrard will relish the 2 legs, even look forward to it. He knows that we can beat Chelsea, and he is right. He didnt buckle under the pressure of taking that penalty the other night.

Redspider

i dont think Gerrard looks forward to any big game in the traditonal sense.Anything spoken or written about him talks about his incredible nerves before a big game.Its the same as his captaincy,he expects too much of himself and hence doesnt perfrom to his natrual level in the bigger games or with england.He just seems so pent up before these games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    worth noting that the one time we met Utd in cup competition, we were victorious ;)

Anyone else shocked at how vunerable Chelsea looked from set pieces the other night?

If I remember correctly, that cup win over Utd. a few years ago, was the first in a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Some nice twisting of words from the Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/10/ufnvoronin110.xml
    Out-of-favour striker Andriy Voronin has made himself Public Enemy No 1 on Merseyside after criticising the standard of living in Britain and in particular the city of Liverpool.

The 27-year-old Ukrainian has failed to make an impact on the pitch since arriving on a free transfer from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer, but he has made his presence felt when it comes to bemoaning all that is wrong with life in the UK.
    Get me outta here: Voronin launches attack on life in England

Voronin took no prisoners in his rant which criticised the Scouse way of talking, the high crime rate in the city and attacked the country's health care.

But most incredibly, the blond pony-tailed striker has accused Britain of lacking sophisticating. Given that his wife Yulia was recently named the worst-dressed WAG after wearing a leopard-print velour tracksuit, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

"Compared with Germany, England is far behind in terms of comfort and culture," Voronin said in an interview with a Russian newspaper.

"Five out of the seven houses near us are occupied by footballers.
    advertisement

"Steve Gerrard was burgled recently so a police patrol car comes into our compound fairly often.

"We hear police sirens all the time. Leverkusen, by contrast, was so much quieter."

On Britain's health care, he said: "The medical services here are poor. When I was in Germany, there were lots of good clinics and doctors.

"It is nothing like that here - when our child had a skin allergy we waited hours for the doctor to see him.

"When we finally got to see a doctor, he said he didn't know how to treat children and to try rubbing in this ointment.

"That was it. I was stunned. As a result my wife had to go back to Odessa with him and took a full set of tests there."

And in a final remark which is sure to have fans on the Kop up in arms, Vorinon added: "I study English twice a week with a teacher and I have made some progress in it.

"But English isn't the main problem. The main thing is to learn to understand the local players like Gerrard and Carragher.

"They speak with some peculiar local accent and sometimes I have absolutely no clue what the guys are saying.

"Many foreign players have the same problem."

Voronin is contracted to Liverpool until the summer of 2011 but having fallen behind fans' favourite Peter Crouch in the pecking order this season could find himself surplus to requirements at Anfield this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rumour - Reyes will be signed for next season.

99% sure its complete ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obviously ****e, he could'nt hack London (Sid Little had a funny piece on the Guardian Football blog about his sheer Spanishness while at Arsenal) so there is no chance of him settling in damper, colder North West.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

And in a final remark which is sure to have fans on the Kop up in arms, Vorinon added: "I study English twice a week with a teacher and I have made some progress in it.

"But English isn't the main problem. The main thing is to learn to understand the local players like Gerrard and Carragher.

"They speak with some peculiar local accent and sometimes I have absolutely no clue what the guys are saying.

"Many foreign players have the same problem."

How is what he said insulting? Some of my foreign workmates say the same thing, and its not insulting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Mental revelations coming out about Stevie..

Gangster in threat to shoot Steven Gerrard

Apr 10 2008

THE father of Steven Gerrard last night revealed how a notorious figure from
    the Merseyside underworld had threatened to shoot the Liverpool FC captain in
    the legs and maim him.

Gerrard’s father Paul said they recruited John Kinsella as a fixer to “sort
    out” George Bromley Jnr, who had terrorised the Huyton- born midfielder for
    two years.

The revelations came in a letter written by Paul Gerrard on Tuesday, the day
    his son was leading Liverpool FC to a famous Champions League victory against
    Arsenal at Anfield.

It was submitted as evidence yesterday in a robbery trial at Lincoln Crown
    Court, where Kinsella is one of four co-accused from Liverpool.

The jury was told that Gerrard, 27, was placed under police protection because
    the thug was “making his life a misery”, including, on one occasion, ambushing
    the footballer outside his apartment in Southport.

Kinsella, 43, is one of four men accused of taking part in a £41,000 robbery
    in which a haulage depot nightwatchman was tied up.

But he claims he was in the area of the raid at the time only in his role as
    an under- world enforcer – a job he once carried out for the Gerrards.

In the letter from Paul Gerrard – which was confirmed as genuine after police
    visited him yesterday (Wed) – he told of the “total respect” he and his
    multi-millionaire son had for Kinsella, after he helped put an end to their
    “nightmare.”

Mr Gerrard wrote: “I would like to say that, in 2001, my son Steven was being
    terror- ised by a notorious Liverpool gangster known as ‘The Psycho’, who was
    threatening to maim my son by shooting him in the legs. Also, he was trying to
    extort a large amount of money from Steven.

“We immediately contacted the police and asked for protection. This went on
    for a long time, during which Steven’s car was smashed up and the gangster
    chased him while he was driving home from training.

“This was one of the worst times of our lives. It was really having a bad
    effect on his career. Liverpool FC provided security for Steven, but the
    threats still kept coming.

“We were at our wits’ end when we were introduced by a family friend to John
    Kinsella. I told him about the ongoing threats and violence. John then
    reassured me and my family he would resolve our nightmare.

“From that time until this day, we have never had any more problems from the
    Liverpool underworld. Steven and I have total respect for John for what he did
    for us. Yours faithfully, Paul Gerrard.”

Giving evidence, Kinsella said he was contacted by the star’s family after
    Gerrard was threatened by Liverpool gangster George Bromley Jnr.

He said: “I took steps. I spoke to George Bromley Jnr. I told him to stop it
    and leave him alone. After I had spoken to him, he followed my advice.”

Kinsella, a boxer and martial arts expert, said his work for Gerrard was just
    one example of how he collected debts and sorted out problems for people.

He told the jury: “On one occasion, a Liverpool football player, Steven
    Gerrard, was being terrorised by a Liverpool gangster.

“It started in 2001, and I spoke to his father in 2003. One of his family
    approached me and said this person was making Steven’s life a misery.

“He was demanding money with menaces and threatening to shoot Steven in the
    legs. He ambushed Steven outside his apartment in Southport.”

Kinsella said Bromley Jnr was the man responsible for the campaign of terror
    against the star, adding: “George Bromley Jnr is a young lad.

“He was a very violent figure in Liverpool, and his father was well-known in
    the underworld as being an enforcer – mainly on the club scene.

“But George Bromley Snr is not alive any more. He was executed at his friend’s
    house – he was shot a number of times in the head.

“I know George Bromley Jnr is a very dangerous man. Steven was given armed
    police protection because they feared for his safety that much.

“A member of his family approached me. I met his father, Paul. His father came
    with one of his family to ask me to do something about this.”

Kinsella said he had secured proof of his claims from Gerrard’s father after
    visiting him on Tuesday – hours before Liverpool’s clash with Arsenal.

“I saw Steven Gerrard’s father yesterday. He has provided me with a letter
    confirming what I have just said,” Kinsella told the jury.

“He is just recovering from a hernia operation. He had actually come out of
    hospital yesterday morning when I knocked on his front door.”

Kinsella said that, on another occasion, he was “called in” by a Merseyside
    garage owner who was being threatened by a protection racket.

The man was “absolutely terrified” after a gang of thugs, aged between 16 and
    26, told him to hand over £1,000 a week, he claimed.

He said: “They were a formidable force. But, after I spoke to the leader, the
    garage owner didn't have any problems with them that I know of.”

The trial continues.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/04/10/gangster-in-threat-to-shoot-steven-gerrard-64375-20744034/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    How is what he said insulting? Some of my foreign workmates say the same thing, and its not insulting.
    That was exactly my point. He hasn't said anything untrue in the article at all. The paper just twisted what he said. I'm pretty sure that Torres/Reina/Alonso have said similar things in the past but because they are fan favourites the media don't turn the quotes into a bad thing. It's not exactly headline news that the British National Health Service is crap and as much as I support the football team, Liverpool is a horrible city to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nasty, looks like its not what you know (ie the cops phone number) its who you know - John Kinsella.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

malice_ wrote: »
    That was exactly my point. He hasn't said anything untrue in the article at all. The paper just twisted what he said. I'm pretty sure that Torres/Reina/Alonso have said similar things in the past but because they are fan favourites the media don't turn the quotes into a bad thing. It's not exactly headline news that the British National Health Service is crap and as much as I support the football team, Liverpool is a horrible city to visit.

Its a bit of a joke alright - nothing too surprising though. Pity, I had reasonably high hopes for Voronin after his pre/very-early season form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Greetings sports fans!

As some of you may have seen, I am currently doing a bit of a survey on the soccer forum. I know some of you have responded so cheers for that but it would great to get as many people as possible.

It's just three short questions so pop on over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

malice_ wrote: »

Liverpool is actually quite a nice city. Some parts, like any other city, and including the area around Anfield, are in bits, but by and large I found it quite pleasant and the people even more so. Lucky i didn't bump into any Evertonians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Every previous time two English teams have met in a European club competition the team that is ranked lower in the league table at the time of the tie has progressed from the fixture.

This rather surprising statistic was maintained on Tuesday.
    What a statistic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool is a quality city. Some parts are rough as hell, but thats the same as any city in the world. Most of it is lovely and the people are lovely, but all you ever hear is it a dump and there is loads of robberies. Bull****. Typical stereotypical ****e. recent survey of top ten burglary hot spots in the UK-where did Liverpool feature? Nowhere. (Manchester on the other hand, despite all their nice dittys-were rather high up!;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Anyone at home turn on Sky Sports News, apparently some breaking news coming up about Liverpool. Most likely about DIC withdrawing their interest, but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Beat me to it. Just saw it coming up along the breaking news strap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Nothing on the official site so dont think it will be too big. Probably a jersey launch or something

Melion wrote: »
    Nothing on the official site so dont think it will be too big. Probably a jersey launch or something
    Hardly shake the club to its core...

Mind you nor would DIC removing its interest (for now - until the owners sort themselves out).

Cant see it being anything huge tbh, find out in a minute though

• Advertisement

Rick Parry asked to resign by Hicks

Parry out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Parry asked to resign?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Hicks has asked Parry to resign apparently

can't say I'm sad

I think Rafa will definitely be there next season after this news

• Advertisement

but if rumours were true and parry and moores were trying to oust the yanks from the inside, wat the **** does this now mean?!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    but if rumours were true and parry and moores were trying to oust the yanks from the inside, wat the **** does this now mean?!
    Neither Moores nor Parry have much if any power on the board. However, as Hicks and Gillet are currently not seeing eye to eye, Parry isn't necessarily obliged to tender his resignation if only Hicks asked for it. Gillet could take his side. In which case the debacle that has been this season from a board point of view will likely escalate even further.

The fact that the resignation of Parry doesnt have me jumping with joy, shows how low the yanks have made our club sink :(

From Skysports.com

Liverpool's season of boardroom turmoil took another astonishing twist on Thursday when co-owner Tom Hicks asked for the resignation of chief executive Rick Parry.

It is believed that a letter arrived at Anfield on Thursday - just 48 hours after Liverpool's successful passage into the UEFA Champions League semi-finals - demanding Parry's departure.

Parry is currently in London at a Premier League meeting but he has been made aware of the communication and is expected to refuse to quit by return of post.

This shock move from the Dallas-based co-owner is just another twist in the ongoing saga over control of the club, which reached a peak last month when talks between Hicks and Dubai International Capital broke down.

Hicks was in London last week and watched both the Liverpool matches against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium.

But on Tuesday, Hicks was back in Dallas watching his Texas Rangers baseball team while co-owner George Gillett was shown on TV sitting next to Parry in the Liverpool directors' box during the 4-2 win over Arsenal.

Unstable

And this current development does nothing for the stability of the club ahead of Rafa Benitez's attempts to reach a third European Cup final in four years.

However, with the club ownership split 50-50 between the two Americans, Hicks would not have been able to sanction Parry's dismissal, hence the letter received at Anfield on Thursday.

Hicks was believed to have been enraged by an interview from Parry in which the chief executive pleaded with both co-owners to end the war or words between them and come to an agreement that would allow the club to move forward.

It was Parry who was largely involved in bringing Gillett to the club 18 months ago, with the American bringing in Hicks for added financial muscle to get the deal through.

Broken down

At that point DIC believed they were on the brink of buying former chairman David Moores' majority holding, only for the deal to collapse at the last minute when Moores - now life vice-president and still a board member - changed his mind.

Since then DIC have patiently worked towards a deal to buy out both Americans. It is believed that Gillett has agreed to sell his stake, but refuses to sell those shares to Hicks.

The relationship between Gillett and Hicks has spectacularly broken down, with Parry at times finding himself in the middle trying to run the club effectively on a day-to-day basis.

Now Hicks' camp clearly believe that Parry is siding with Gillett as the uproar rumbles on, which has prompted the request for his resignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Even more farcical, the man who brought in the yanks, has been asked to resign...

Normally getting rid of Rick Parry would be a good thing, but who knows what's happening now.

Wasn't Parry due to finish at the end of this season (or next) anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Parry out, yanks out, everyone out!!!!
    PR stunt to be honest.
    Nothing will become of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

F*ckin Hicks. Get lost back to America and leave us with Gillette. At least he seems to be liked by his other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I hope Parry digs his heals in and refuses to quit as Sky are suggesting. Bad and all as he can be he was just trying to be a voice of reason in this mess. I'd love for Gillet to come out and back him just to be petty.

There's far bigger problems at the club than Parry right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

6 months ago i would have said great, get Parry out. But he seems to have sided with Gillet in this, and he seems like the lesser of two evils, and is apparantly in constant communication with Rafa so i hope he doesn't step down. Doubt hicks can make him do so either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a baseball fan, nothing surprises me about fatpus Hicks. This is the man that paid the New York Yankees to take his best player (and arguably the best player in mlb). Imagine Liverpool giving United 30 million to take Torres of their hands. :eek: :eek:

How must Moores feel now? Didn't he delibertate for so long and change his mind because he wanted to make sure whoever bought Liverpool would take good care of it?

zing wrote: »

There is nothing new in that. We already knew that DIC couldn't come in unless both G+H came to an agreement on a sale.

DIC have said they are still interested, and would love to own the club. What they are saying is there is no point in them pursuing the matter at the moment because G+H can't agree on a way forward that involves selling a majority stake in the club.

This is far from the end of the saga.

Hicks' timing as usual is great :rolleyes:

And im not even a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He won't resign, and Gilette will be in a very tough spot. Gona drive a further wedge between them, and I'd say Gilette will just accept it go get on with it.

Also, it's not like Parry is particuarly liked by most Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cant hicks just wait until the end of the season, no point now in rocking the boat comping up to a very important stage in the season. Still playing for 4th and two very big games against Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PHB wrote: »
    He won't resign, and Gilette will be in a very tough spot. Gona drive a further wedge between them, and I'd say Gilette will just accept it go get on with it.

Also, it's not like Parry is particuarly liked by most Liverpool fans.

Very true not only is Parry slow in the transfer market, he also turned away a certain C.Ronaldo saying 4M was to much for him and went with 2 french lads who were lets be honest useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

And we had done so well not to talk about any of this!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Very true not only is Parry slow in the transfer market, he also turned away a certain C.Ronaldo saying 4M was to much for him and went with 2 french lads who were lets be honest useless.

Ronaldo would not be the player he is now if he joined Liverpool.
    Imagine trying to fit him into Houlliers systems?
    If FSP was still at Liverpool playing the style they now play he would be a cracking player.
    But ill agree, Parry is ****, cant argue with that.

PS Wenger also turned down Ronaldo so we are not the only ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he hardly identified pongolle and le tallec himself now and everyone wanted them, they just didnt work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also, he was the one who brought in G&H in the first place. I find it hilarious that he's getting screwed over.
    No sympathy for him, just like I'd have none for Gill.

Parry is not universally liked, but in this particular instance I think pool fans will be looking it as a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Parry is obviously cosy with Gillett, and is practically openly courting DIC.

He's on his way out eventually alright no matter what happens, it would be interesting to see if he goes down with all guns blazing (could come out with some mad rash statements like literally say "f*ck off Hicks you ignorant twat, if you think I'm not wanted around here you'd want to hear what the fans have to say about you"). Heh, well you can but dream. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Timing could be better..If Parry did go (which i dont expect him to just yet) i wonder who would take over the day to day running of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Timing could be better..If Parry did go (which i dont expect him to just yet) i wonder who would take over the day to day running of the club.

Mr. Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Parry is pretty much hated alright by most fans, but its funny as hell that Hicks is so detested by most fans that he's the only person that could do something like this and thus potentially create a "Rick must stay" campaign.

I don't get Hicks though, he seems to be on a mission to make himself as unpopular as possible?. Is he completely stupid, or is there somehow a method to his madness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Stky10 wrote: »
    I don't get Hicks though, he seems to be on a mission to make himself as unpopular as possible?. Is he completely stupid, or is there somehow a method to his madness?

No method - just ego. He has somehow fluked his way to being incredibly wealthy and clearly believes he can now say and do what he likes - unfortunately, given his ownership of the club the facts more or less bear him out. Really shows how little appreciation he has for the club that he couldn't just shut it to the end of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement