Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It all sounds a bit far fetched to me,but this is the 'Rumour' gong around the LFC forums today.
    Plan B!!
    Rumour (cannot reveal source obviously - source is not LFC) that Plan B is being discussed by the following - UEFA, FA, Russian FA, LFC, Chelsea, Man Utd, Home Office, Foriegn Office, Russian Government. various Police Forces, Local Government +.

Plan B will be considered if it is an All English Final.

It involves the following:

NO game in Moscow.
    Wembley Stadium is not available that week due to other things in Brent.
    2 legged final - like old UEFA Cup - away goals rule will not apply to avoid moaning about it - draw = penalties.
    Probable Monday and Thursday of week beginning 19th May.
    ticket prices will be hiked up (£80 cheapest possibly) - still cheaper than travelling to Russia. This is an accepted view by all 3 clubs. £160 to attend both games is much cheaper than what you pay to go to Moscow.

combined attendance will be approx. 100,000.
    10% of capacity to away club.
    clubs will not keep gate receipts
    compensation package to Russian FA etc.

This plan has been put together by the various organisations but the prime mover was initially the Foriegn Office and stems from the worries they have of crowd trouble and the diplomatic relationship strains following Litvenyenko (spelling!) and the fact they will not be able to assist with any situations.

The following have expressed these views:

All Police Forces - fearful of massive problems for either LFC or Chelsea v Man Utd; they would have no liaison whatsoever with their Russian counterparts unlike what they would normally expect in a consultation role.
    Government - see above about Foriegn Office
    UEFA - major headaches about English fans and would be prepared to bite the bullet as it would save them potential disaster and hassle (visa's etc); Athens has been mentioned and they are listening to the governments; they have a major issue about the strained relationship between UK Government and Russian Government - in fact they are petrified.
    FA - worried about fans safety and hooligan issues; they say potential for problems with Russian fans (even if Barcelona get through) but that can not be used as a reason; worried about World Cup bid - English fighting English abroad.
    Russian Government - very reluctant to speak to anyone English; Chelsea's stooges have done a lot of mediating; basically they dont want the hassle of it and can do without it at the moment; they seem to be happy with UEFA compensation package.
    Chelsea - very surprising; Abramovich is worried (he would know a bit) about 50-60,000 Englisg fans in Moscow; they are trying to build brand Chelsea in Russia and fear the problems far outweigh the the potential $£; club issues with visa's and fan safety.
    Liverpool - very worried after Athens debacle; lack of trust in UEFA organisation.
    Man Utd - no surpirse here - there view about safety issues, admin problems was dwarfed by their reluctance to the plan - they are convinced that UEFA will do everything possible to make sure Barcelona get through to avoid having to use Plan B; they also wanted to keep a % of the gate receipt as they will get a bigger attendance.

Meetings are taking place at a rapid rate and the 3 Local Grounds are applying for safety certificates as a must requirement.

No one will know until the 2nd leg at Old Trafford on 29th April but watch this space as things progress and leaks will happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Unearthly wrote: »
    but they couldn't last february, which was my point.

and Inter recent finalists? Only if you count the early 70's :\

My bad, confused them with Juventus in the 2003 final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

spockety wrote: »
    My bad, confused them with Juventus in the 2003 final

No problem

Should of seen the mistake i made earlier in this topic, edited quickly but if any liverpool fan saw it I would of been burned at the stake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB, you are a riddle to me my manc friend.

Are you not on record as saying that you would much prefer your team to meet Liverpool in the CL, rather than Arsenal, as you feel that Arsenal are a better team and you are more than capable of beating Liverpool as league form has shown over the last few years.

But yet you go against this by saying that despite league form, AC are the more feared and difficult to beat opposition in the CL despite their poor league performances over the last few years when compared to Inter who are streets ahead of AC in the league (more so even than Utd are ahead of Liverpool).

It sounds to me, as with all your posts, that you just dont want to give Liverpool even the slightest hint of a compliment.

Now i'm sure you'll come out with some spiell to counteract this point, but the simple fact is you contradict yourself in praising ACs record in Europe, and disgarding Inter, but yet writing Liverpools European record off and heeping praise on Utd and Arsenal, insisting always, that their recent CL performances are of nout importance in comparrison to their league records.

Very strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Dub13 wrote: »
    It all sounds a bit far fetched to me,but this is the 'Rumour' gong around the LFC forums today.

Very sensible idea. If it was Manchester vs Liverpool sure they could have it in Croke Park:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Let me be the first to laugh at the possibility of this "plan B". HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAHAH.

What eejit came up with that rubbish?

3 weeks before the final and a change of venue and rules? No chance.

Dont shoot the messenger Ste! :)

But yea, it is quite ridiculously far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lazy lazy excuse, it is horse manure. Inter are recent enough finalists.

Not for a couple of decades.
    Tut tut PHP, Liverpool were still unbeaten in the league before this all kicked off actually.

Wow, unbeaten in the league, is their a medal for that?
    PHB, you are a riddle to me my manc friend.

A man of mystery I am
    Are you not on record as saying that you would much prefer your team to meet Liverpool in the CL, rather than Arsenal, as you feel that Arsenal are a better team and you are more than capable of beating Liverpool as league form has shown over the last few years.

Who I want United to play is different to who is the better team.

I think Liverpool are more likely to beat Barca than we are. I think we're more likely to beat Liverpool than Barca.

It's a funny old world :)
    But yet you go against this by saying that despite league form, AC are the more feared and difficult to beat opposition in the CL despite their poor league performances over the last few years when compared to Inter who are streets ahead of AC in the league (more so even than Utd are ahead of Liverpool).

Now i'm sure you'll come out with some spiell to counteract this point, but the simple fact is you contradict yourself in praising ACs record in Europe, and disgarding Inter, but yet writing Liverpools European record off and heeping praise on Utd and Arsenal, insisting always, that their recent CL performances are of nout importance in comparrison to their league records.

I did none of those things.
    I simply challenged the idea that AC Milan were the lessers of Inter in Europe, which is surely not something you'd contest either?
    When did I ever write of Liverpools European record?

Unless you mean by me thinking that Arsenal would be a tougher test than Liverpool you think that is the reason? If so, IMO Liverpool are an amazing European team, but I don't think a United Liverpool tie in Europe would be a 'continental' tactical tie, and as such, I don't think its the same thing.

You seem to take any affront to the fact that the article is clearly biased, as me saying that Liverpool are ****. I'm not saying that, I'm just saying the article is clearly biased, as you can see yourself in the last two points I made, which you cleverly ignored :)
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Let me be the first to laugh at the possibility of this "plan B". HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAHAH.

What eejit came up with that rubbish?

3 weeks before the final and a change of venue and rules? No chance.

+1 (just to piss of Cult)

If there is a coup, I could see a change in venue, that's about it. UEFA have already distributed tickets to about 10000 people, who have already booked flights and accomodation, they'd have some serious legal issues on their hands.

The article is not what i would call biased.

It is written by a Liverpool fan, so its from a scouse p.o.v alright, but it does not take away from the fact, that Wenger is constantly praised, whereas Rafa is more often than not, ridiculed.

This whole Arsenal are building something thing, did Reade not dispell that to an extent by pointing out that the average age of the arsenal team was 25? these are not children, they are athletes in their prime. who when tested-were proven not good enough.

You say Rafa has plodded along with averageness-yet say Wenger is building towards something? Why isnt Rafa building towards something? do you feel that Liverpool need to increase their points tally little by little in order to bridge the gap? are we not closer this year than we were last? do we not have the spine of a title challenging team in Reina-Arbeloa-Agger-Carragher-Skrtl-Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard-Babel-Torres, they imo are defiantely good enough (spot the Rafa buys), and then players who i personally think are good enough to be in a title winning squad, Kuyt, Aurelio, Lucas, Yossi......we're getting there PHB, and maybe we havent done as well this year as we would have hoped, but footballs a funny old world as you pointed out, and maybe we dont need to close the gap over a few seasons, maybe a couple more signings and things will click into place for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well said Al.

Bloody hell, agreeing with Al, could be the polluted water I have been drinking of late.

It is written by a Liverpool fan, so its from a scouse p.o.v alright, but it does not take away from the fact, that Wenger is constantly praised, whereas Rafa is more often than not, ridiculed.

I think thats taking it a bit far, I wouldn't say ridiculed. And the reason Wenger is favoured is simple.
    Four things are gona happen:
    A. If you play bad football and lose, nobody likes it. [ala Bolton]
    B. If you play bad football and win, you get gruding respect, but not much admiration.[ala Chelsea]
    C. If you play good football and lose, you get admiration. [ala Arsenal]
    D. If you play good football and win, you get everything. [ala United]

Liverpool are somewhere in between A and B, hence people aren't going to run flocking to Rafas cause sorry.

I have a lot of problems with the London media and how they treat Arsenal. It's a joke at times, pretending that Brazil 1970s has been re-born, when personally I much prefer Uniteds style of play.
    There is also no doubt that the media decided to pick on Rafa, but in all fairness, he brought it on himself. The whole media circus around the club started with his 'I'm just a coach thing'. He tried to play with fire by involving the press, and the press took him up happily.
    This whole Arsenal are building something thing, did Reade not dispell that to an extent by pointing out that the average age of the arsenal team was 25? these are not children, they are athletes in their prime. who when tested-were proven not good enough.

There is certainly a point there, however, the average squad age is an awful lot younger. Furthermore, they did better than Liverpool in the league this year, that can't be denied.
    we're getting there PHB, and maybe we havent done as well this year as we would have hoped, but footballs a funny old world as you pointed out, and maybe we dont need to close the gap over a few seasons, maybe a couple more signings and things will click into place for us

I don't want to get into what problems I had with Rafa's approach, but needless to say, if he's building towards something, he's doing it a year later than Wenger did. As in, Wenger built towards a league challenge this year, and I don't think anyone would be surprised to see them there next year. They have to add to win it.

Liverpool still have to add to challenge. They could add enough to challenge and win it in one go, but the point is that in the past 3 years since the CL final win, both teams have been massively re-built, both teams have gotten to a CL final once, and this year one of them put in a league challenge. Liverpool may still go on to win the CL, no doubt that they've a great shot, but Liverpool beating Arsenal by a couple of points in the league in the past means absolutely nothing.

is it 5 points difference in the league between liverpool and Arsenal ? That could hardly be called a lot better, nice edit mind ;)

That will teach me to go and have lunch mid-post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sounds like complete nonsense.. The two legged affair really makes it stick out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just out of interest PHB, if Liverpool do finish ahead of Arsenal(very very possible) in the league, how could you possible say they've had a better season and Wenger has done better than Rafa?

And Liverpools average age is 26, Arsenals is 25. Not as big a difference as a lot of journos would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Melion wrote: »
    Just out of interest PHB, if Liverpool do finish ahead of Arsenal(very very possible) in the league, how could you possible say they've had a better season and Wenger has done better than Rafa?

Because they mounted an actual title challenge up until yesterday?

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Because they mounted an actual title challenge up until yesterday?

So you're honestly saying that if we finish ahead of them you will still think that they've had a better season?

We had a bad run of games which knocked us out a few months ago, Arsenal had theirs recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Rafa has done nothing but build for the future!

Reina\Lucas\Babel\Arbeloa\Skrtel\Mascheranno\Torres all in their early 20's

Nemeth\Insua\Plesis\Linfield\Leto all coming on leaps and bounds.

Two youth FA cups in a row, running away with the reserves this season, and all of the millions spent on 15-18 year olds.

Wenger didn't achieve it a year earlier cause he challenged for the title this year.

Wenger has been at Arsenal for how long?!!!

Benitez isn't even four years at Anfield, has totally overhauled the youth set up, gotten to 4 senior finals, two of which he won.
    Gotten third in the premiership twice, once finishing only 9 points off the top, and has built a massive raport with the fans and players.

As the article said, it took Fergie 7 years, why so harsh on a man not 4 years into the job?!!

Melion wrote: »
    So you're honestly saying that if we finish ahead of them you will still think that they've had a better season?

We had a bad run of games which knocked us out a few months ago, Arsenal had theirs recently.

Yes, but only if Liverpool fail to win the CL.

Lets just say we do finish ahead of them and lose in the CL final.

We would have been higher in the league, further in 2 out of 3 cup competitions and finished in the same round of the FA cup

Winning is all that matters.
    Arsenal had a chance to do it this year up and up until a month ago they were favorites.

If Arsenal drop off now and Liverpool overtake them, Arsenal will still have had a better season in the league.
    Liverpool have been out of the race for months, which btw is when their form started to pick up.

• Advertisement

Well said Al.

Bloody hell, agreeing with Al, could be the polluted water I have been drinking of late.

its alright. it happens everyone at least once.

i'll piss you off again soon, dont worry ;)
    PHB wrote: »
    Arsenal had a chance to do it this year up and up until a month ago they were favorites.

Winning is all that matters? then why are you excusing Wenger not winning anything since an FA cup since 2005, claiming that "he is building something"! wat does it matter where he was in March/April? wat matters is where he is at the end of the season.

see, you are contradicting yourself again, saying winning is all that matters, but praising Wenger for competing but not winning.

even following your logic, rafa deserves more praise as....he has won more since arriving in England.
    If Arsenal drop off now and Liverpool overtake them, Arsenal will still have had a better season in the league.

No they won't. You are just plain wrong about that.

Again, a minute ago you just said that winning is all that matters, surely that can also be interprated as, league finishing position is all that matters.....therefore if Liverpool finish above Arsenal, i find it quite strange that someone who thinks winning is everything could say Arsenal have had a better season?!

this is a quote that has a lot of relevence after the game the other night.

Cesar Luis Menotti said, when the Argentina team he coached and not Brazil, who considered their play superior, won the 1978 World Cup. “We congratulate Brazil on their moral victory. Now we hope they will congratulate us on our actual victory.”

even following your logic, rafa deserves more praise as....he has won more since arriving in England.

Rafa of course deserves more praise in Europe, who said he didn't? He won the bloody thing.
    I'm talking about the league.

To run with your quote, this season, Liverpool had no real chance of winning an actual victory. Arsenal did. Arsenal also won the moral victory, i.e. they played good football.
    Wenger built towards a title challenge. They could have won the league this year! That is something. Maybe at the end of the season they'll be down with Liverpool, but they had a real chance at it up until about a month and a half ago. They were able to go on a huge run of victories in order to get ahead of all the other teams. Liverpool have still never done that under Rafa. That's what he built towards, and next season they'll only get better.

Winning is all that matters. Even if Liverpool do manage to come above Arsenal in the league, which we all highly doubt, Arsenal had a much better season. Why? Because they had a chance at an actual victory. They could have won the league, were it not for various reasons. They came much closer to it than Liverpool, who were never anywhere near it bar the first 4 games.

Even if Liverpool finish above Arsenal this season, I challenge you to find me anyone, anyone at all, who would take Liverpools league campaign over Arsenals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Liverpool have had a sh*te league season, and winning the CL shouldn't blinker their fans to that.

Going on a bit of a run after they were comprehensively out of it months before the end should not change that, or muddy the thinking going forward to next season. Rafa needs to seriously change the way he approaches the league, or the Liverpool fans will quickly be turning to another cup run to maintain any dignity.

as i said...you are a riddle to me.

Imagine if Liverpool overtook the 6 point gap with Arsenal, would you honestly prefer Liverpools league campaign to Arsenal?

Imagine if Liverpool overtook the 6 point gap with Arsenal, would you honestly prefer Liverpools league campaign to Arsenal?
    What finishing above them again in the benitez years. Of course, and it is not a six point gap, you looking at the same league as us ?

I would prefer it PHB. At the moment I am of the thought that why does it matter if arsenal were still in it mid march? if they are just gonna implode like they have. as you say, winning is everything, league finishing position is the main thing.

I would take coming from 20 points back and winning the league than to be one point of the top all season. the test of a season is looking at the table when its over. that tells the story of the year.

on another day you'd argue the exact point i'm making!

and its 5 points ;)

Nice to see some support from Torres

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3423299,00.html

Looks like Parry will be having words with Rafa soon too.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3421973,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Looks like Chelsea have prioritised the CL, or if that was just bad rotation from Grant, they certainly will now. Shame, I was hoping they'd get caught in a pressurised league race, beat Everton and have a tricky dilemma with the MU game in between our two legs.

Might work in our favour though if they throw the Everton game. Only the CL can save Grant, as we saw with Mourinho, but it's good for the squad's morale to be competing on all fronts, especially in the league which Lampard and Terry and the other English players would probably value more than the CL.

I know it's a big what-if, but if we'd beaten MU twice, we'd be right on their shoulder, and Chelsea's. Just shows Rafa has got the team more consistent this year and if we can lift it big-time in the big domestic games next season we should be thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Looks like RAWK has shut down for the 19th anniversary, whereas the likes of RAOTL and Est1892 are still active.

RIP the 96.

EDIT: Its back after an hour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Stky10 wrote: »

RIP the 96.

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

did anyone hear the guy on the off the ball last night, is 100% sure we are buying philip degen from dortmund as a right back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

BARRY OR JOHNSON FOR LIVERPOOL
    Rafa Benitez wants to buy a midfielder in the summer and, according to The Sun, that means a £12m bid for Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

The newspaper claims that Benitez 'has made signing the England midfielder his top priority' and already contacted Villa. The situation is, of course, complicated by the boardroom turmoil at Anfield which is destabilising the club, but The Sun is confident that Benitez's wish will be granted and claims 'as long as Benitez stays on as manager, the lure of Anfield will persuade Barry to move'.

The Daily Mail agrees that Benitez is seeking a new midfielder but reckons the player he really wants is Manchester City's Michael Johnson.

'It is the Liverpool boss's third attempt to take the 20-year-old midfielder to Anfield and evidence that the Spaniard is intent on building up his squad,
    despite the shadow of power politics that is threatening his long-term tenure,' the newspaper reports.

'Liverpool renewed their approach to City in the past few days and
    negotiations are at an advanced stage, with Johnson's heart set on a switch that was first mooted about a year ago.'

Johnson himself is described as 'desperate to move to Anfield'.

http://www.football365.com/news/transfers/0,17033,8671,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was watching Reeling in the Years on RTE the other night and the year was 1989 and Hillsborough was covered - still brings a lump to the through I must say.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

rosboy wrote: »

the only reason we want a cm is if alonso is being sold imo

johnson looks a bright prospect tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I doubt most people reading this thread would not know the facts surrounding the Hillborough disaster but just in case, here is a link to a PDF called "Hillsborough for Dummies - the facts behind the Disaster". In fact, it's an excellent read regardless. It sends a shiver down my spine reading about how the events unfolded and the legal wrangles that the campaigning familiies have had to go through over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Cyrus wrote: »
    the only reason we want a cm is if alonso is being sold imo

johnson looks a bright prospect tho

Can't Barry play on the left as well?

Rafa of course deserves more praise in Europe, who said he didn't?
    Winning is all that matters. Even if Liverpool do manage to come above Arsenal in the league, which we all highly doubt, Arsenal had a much better season. Why? Because they had a chance at an actual victory. They could have won the league, were it not for various reasons. They came much closer to it than Liverpool, who were never anywhere near it bar the first 4 games.

Even if Liverpool finish above Arsenal this season, I challenge you to find me anyone, anyone at all, who would take Liverpools league campaign over Arsenals.

Hahaha, you are spouting some truly laughable stuff.

The whole point of a league is that you can really only judge it on the very last day, after every 1 of the 38 matches has been played, every team vs every team home and away. If Liverpool finish above Arsenal in the league, then Liverpool will have come closer to a title challenge than Arsenal have. It is simple mathematics.

Stop squirming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

oobydooby wrote: »
    Just shows Rafa has got the team more consistent this year and if we can lift it big-time in the big domestic games next season we should be thereabouts.

You can't say that - as in other seasons Liverpool have started performing well end of season when the presuure is off (i.e winning league is not achievable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

Taken from RAWK:

A schoolboy holds a leather ball
    in a photograph on a bedroom wall
    the bed is made, the curtains drawn
    as silence greets the break of dawn.

The dusk gives way to morning light
    revealing shades of red and white,
    which hang from posters locked in time
    of the Liverpool team of 89.

Upon a pale white quilted sheet
    a football kit is folded neat
    with a yellow scarf, trimmed with red
    and some football boots beside the bed.

In hope, the room awakes each day
    to see the boy who used to play
    but once again it wakes alone
    for this young boy’s not coming home.

Outside, the springtime fills the air
    the smell of life is everywhere
    viola’s bloom and tulips grow
    while daffodils dance heel to toe.

These should have been such special times
    for a boy who’d now be in his prime
    but spring forever turned to grey
    in the Yorkshire sun, one April day.

The clock was locked on 3.06
    as sun shone down upon the pitch
    lighting up faces etched in pain
    as death descended on Leppings Lane.

Between the bars an arm is raised
    amidst a human tidal wave
    a young hand yearning to be saved
    grows weak inside this deathly cage.

A boy not barely in his teens
    is lost amongst the dying screams
    a body too frail to fight for breath
    is drowned below a sea of death

His outstretched arm then disappears
    to signal thirteen years of tears
    as 96 souls of those who fell
    await the toll of the justice bell.

Ever since that disastrous day
    a vision often comes my way
    I reach and grab his outstretched arm
    then pull him up away from harm.

We both embrace with tear-filled eyes
    I then awake to realise
    it’s the same old dream I have each week
    as I quietly cry myself to sleep.

On April the 15th every year
    when all is calm and skies are clear
    beneath a glowing Yorkshire moon
    a lone Scots piper plays a tune.

The tune rings out the justice cause
    then blows due west across the moors
    it passes by the eternal flame
    then engulfs a young boys picture frame.

His room is as it was that day
    for thirteen years it’s stayed that way
    untouched and frozen forever in time
    since that tragic day in 89.

And as it plays its haunting sound
    tears are heard from miles around
    they’re tears from families of those who fell
    awaiting the toll of the justice bell.

Dave Kirby

JFT96
    YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Hahaha, you are spouting some truly laughable stuff.

The whole point of a league is that you can really only judge it on the very last day, after every 1 of the 38 matches has been played, every team vs every team home and away. If Liverpool finish above Arsenal in the league, then Liverpool will have come closer to a title challenge than Arsenal have. It is simple mathematics.

Stop squirming.
    Why is everybody banging on about Liverpool finishing ahead of Arsenal? It's not gonna happen. Arsenal have Reading, Derby Sunderland and a faltering Everton leftto play. No way they're gonna drop enough points for Liverpool to pass them out.

Thats beautiful in a heart breaking way.

Maybe we should leave all the petty bickering and arguments alone today, the day thats in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »

Maybe we should leave all the petty bickering and arguments alone today, the day thats in it.

Yes, it was a tragedy but jesus christ...

You make me want to stab my own eyes sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »

Appreciate the kind words Al. Pighead put a lot of thought and effort into that post.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Why is everybody banging on about Liverpool finishing ahead of Arsenal? It's not gonna happen. Arsenal have Reading, Derby Sunderland and a faltering Everton leftto play. No way they're gonna drop enough points for Liverpool to pass them out.

The point was that PHB said that even if Arsenal DID finish below Liverpool this season he reckons Arsenal will have come closer to challenging for the title. It is patently not true, unless you deny various laws of maths and league football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pighead wrote: »
    Appreciate the kind words Al. Pighead put a lot of thought and effort into that post.

Ha Ha!! Brilliant, Pighead!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Liverpool have been out of the race for months, which btw is when their form started to pick up.

phb normally your posts have some logic in them even if i dont agree with them, but this is one of the biggest horsesh!t points and trolling posts i have heard in a long time and i am pretty sure i could quote you saying that the league at the end of the season is a true reflection of a teams standing in the prem.

on your logic here i could say liverpool have had a better season than united because i have found it more entertaining than uniteds, but that isnt true. after 38 games are played wherever a team finishes is where they deserve to finish, and if Liverpool finish third then we have had a better season than Arsenal.

please stop trying to rile people.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In football your season is judged on where you finish, if Liverpool did over take Arsenal then Pool would have had a better season - but not a great one in itself where a tilt at the title was thought possible.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I think you're being a little hard on PHB here lads. Lets be honest, Arsenal were challenging for the title this season, we weren't. The meaningless games from here on it won't really change the fact that in my mind we didn't challenge this year.

Arsenal would well field a 2nd string team of youngsters for the remainder of the season as CL football is secured and they have no hope of winning the league, therefore the games are more or less meaningless.

So it is argueable that Arsenal did sustain a greater title challenge than us this year regardless of how the league looks at the end of the season.

Then on the other hand, the reason we finish stronger as Rafa would argue is because of our early season rotation keeping our players fresher for the end of the season. Therefore our challenge comes later than others.

It's not a black and white situation depending on where you finish at the end of the season. If we finish higher on points we may have had a better season, but that doesn't mean we challenged as much as they did. 2 different statements imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement