Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rafas birthday today.

Big ****ing legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Barry,Bentley and Rafhina would be a very good summer if you ask me.
    Carson:is anyone other than Villa interested because they seem to be after other keepers if the rumors are true

sorry meant to post this is the liverpool forums....my bad

i would see barry,bentley and rafhina as a very good summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hicks is to give an interview to Sky Sports today, according to todays Irish Independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafas birthday today.

Big ****ing legend.

Happy Birthday Rafa!:)
    _______
    Why would we want barry? Surely we have enough midfielders as it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

where do ye guys see barry fitting in, if he were to be signed?

i would see it as a pointless signing, and tbh i dont think he'd move, he's wouldnt be a starter for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I was wondering that myself, would he accept being a backup to Gerrard? And should we be putting more money into our midfield (easily our strongest area) when there are more important weaknesses in the side (even if we did sign Bentley and Rafinha too) - the left side of midfield and to an extent left defense, though Aurelio and Arbeloa would do a decent, if unspectacular job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

event wrote: »
    i read the other day that 20 were at home and 16 into the kop end (think that was the numbers anyway)

Torres'll be some player next year.....when he adds away goals to his tally :pac:

Yeah, i mean give Torres time to settle in and get used to English football. The away goals will soon flow!!!! :)

Apr 16 2008 by Nick Smith, Liverpool Daily Post

Tom Hicks and Rick Parry _320

LIVERPOOL are bracing themselves for the next saga in their boardroom war when Tom Hicks goes public on the current fallout once again today.

The Anfield co-owner was set to record a television interview last night which is being withheld for broadcast later today.

But the Texan’s recent track record of not holding back in his criticisms of fellow owner George Gillett or chief executive Rick Parry suggests more grenades in the battle for power will be thrown out into the open.

Hicks has already demanded Parry’s resignation in the past week, berating the club’s marketing record under his leadership as well as criticising him for not making it clear to manager Rafael Benitez that he attended a meeting with former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

That development forced Benitez to demand a meeting with Parry to clarify his position.

Hicks’s latest public statement will come just hours after the memorial service held to commemorate the19th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, on a day when the in-fighting was put to one side.

Parry and Benitez did meet briefly before the service and sat three seats apart in the stands but the manager emphasised the importance of not letting anything overshadow the tribute to the 96 supporters who lost their lives in the 1989 tragedy.

“This is obviously an important day of the year for everybody connected with our club,” said Benitez yesterday.

“We must take time to remember those who lost their lives at Hillsborough and to be with their families and friends. We must give them our support and show that we are thinking of them.

“It’s important we pay our respects.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

There'd be no reason to sign Barry if Alonso was staying, so all this chatter suggests he might be on his way. Which would be a shame (especially if he ever recaptures his old form!), but if he does go getting Barry in his place would be very nice business.

i see Barry in the alonso role if he leaves but could he play the evra type role on the left?

Is Rafa picking Hicks side in this dispute?A piece in the guardian seems to suggest so

well barry has played his best football in a central midfield role, but i would have thought rafa would play lucas even more next year. He also obviously sees something in the kid plessis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Why is the Everton v Chelsea game on Thursday? I can't remember a PL game ever being on Thursday, unless it was a rescheduled/postponed game.

Gives Chelsea a handy few extra days to recover ahead of the CL semi final.

PiE wrote: »
    Why is the Everton v Chelsea game on Thursday? I can't remember a PL game ever being on Thursday, unless it was a rescheduled/postponed game.

Gives Chelsea a handy few extra days to recover ahead of the CL semi final.

It was originally meant to be on the Sunday, but can't now because of tuesday's game. Don't know what's wrong with the Saturday but i assume Sky already have a match scheduled for that day. Sky were happy for it to be played on a friday but that couldn't happen because of policing constraints.
    Apparently, the Chelsea players and staff will refuse all Sky media commitments in protest at having to play on thursday in what they see is denting their chance of the title having had to rest players against Wigan

raven136 wrote: »
    i see Barry in the alonso role if he leaves but could he play the evra type role on the left?

Is Rafa picking Hicks side in this dispute?A piece in the guardian seems to suggest so

Media reports over the past few weeks have stated that Rafa has more of an alliance with Hicks than with Gillette or Parry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

monkey9 wrote: »
    Media reports over the past few weeks have stated that Rafa has more of an alliance with Hicks than with Gillette or Parry

I'm not sure I buy into that. I think Rafa is too smart to align himself with any of the warring factions here. About all we've ever seen from Hicks & Rafa to suggest they're getting on are comments that they're exchanging emails regularly and that Hicks is continuing to back Rafa - that's a long way from them having any form of alliance.

On the other hand we know Rafa doesn't get on well with Rick and off hand I can't recall Gillet publicly backing Rafa so maybe there is a division there. Some reports suggest Hicks will shortly be calling on Gillet to do just that in what would presumably be an effort to stay on Rafa's side which equates to staying on the fans side.

zing wrote: »
    I'm not sure I buy into that. I think Rafa is too smart to align himself with any of the warring factions here. About all we've ever seen from Hicks & Rafa to suggest they're getting on are comments that they're exchanging emails regularly and that Hicks is continuing to back Rafa - that's a long way from them having any form of alliance.

On the other hand we know Rafa doesn't get on well with Rick and off hand I can't recall Gillet publicly backing Rafa so maybe there is a division there. Some reports suggest Hicks will shortly be calling on Gillet to do just that in what would presumably be an effort to stay on Rafa's side which equates to staying on the fans side.

Oh yeah, i'd agree with you on that, It's what the papers have been saying. i.e that he gets on better with Hicks than with the others. Maybe alliance was the wrong word.
    Rafa is defo playing a political game here. He knows the fans are on his side so thats probably his greatest strength. I'll be so p!ssed off if we lose Rafa over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

stick-dan wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Rafa!:)

its the popes birthday today too :D

both legends in their fields ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'll be so p!ssed off if we lose Rafa over this
    I totally agree with you. Throughout all the Gerrard transfer speculation of years gone by I always said that no one man is bigger than the club and if he was to go then fair enough, off with him even if he is our best player. Liverpool existed long before Gerrard and will continue to exist long after he has hung up his boots.

Benitez is the most important person at the club right now and while there will come a time when he too leaves Liverpool I just hope that day is a long way off and that we will have bagged a few more trophies (number 19 and number 6 will do for a start :)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Villa says if he moves, Arsenal would be first choice, but he'd also be happy to link up with Torres.

Villa and Torres wouldn't be a bad combo up front :)

being honest....i'd probably have some form of sex wee if that happened.

Realistically, the summer is going to be very good for Liverpool once the funds are there. They are able to attract a lot of players, and even if they were 4th in terms of attracting players in the English clubs, they are still way way up there because of the percieved dominance of English leagues, especially with Liverpools CL record (who Europeans tend to care much more about than the English)

The key issue is the funds and where Rafa puts them. If he only has 40 million, will he just sign two players?

What confuses me is stories like being like to Barry? Like fair enough, central midfield is kinda weakish with Sissoko gone, but surely focus on the wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    Realistically, the summer is going to be very good for Liverpool once the funds are there. They are able to attract a lot of players, and even if they were 4th in terms of attracting players in the English clubs, they are still way way up there because of the percieved dominance of English leagues, especially with Liverpools CL record (who Europeans tend to care much more about than the English)

The key issue is the funds and where Rafa puts them. If he only has 40 million, will he just sign two players?

What confuses me is stories like being like to Barry? Like fair enough, central midfield is kinda weakish with Sissoko gone, but surely focus on the wingers.

Ive been followed the players that we have been linked with recently and the list is very very long. I doubt there is much truth in those rumours.

Modric
    Rafinha
    Bentley
    Barry
    Johnson
    Villa
    Aimar

Thats only a small sample. I would headbutt a wall if we signed Barry.

In other news. Drogba a major doubt for Chelsea next week. Would be a massive boost for us to have both Drogba & Essien out. Is Cech back ?

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3430091,00.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote: »
    Villa says if he moves, Arsenal would be first choice, but he'd also be happy to link up with Torres.

That is not quite what he said PHB....

Would you have liked to have been trained by Benitez?

- Yes, from the comments of my Liverpool mates or the ones here in Valencia who played for him. They tell me that they’ve learned many things from him. It’s a pity that we didn’t coincide.

Are you compatible with Torres?

- Yes, both on and off the pitch. We like playing together. I don’t want to disrespect Atletico but Torres has been through some tough times and now he feels liberated. And the way Liverpool play suits his abilities, which are up there with the best in the world.

Would you adapt to English football as well?

- I think so. Their football is fast, counter-attacking, which is the best for my qualities. Of course it’s a different story to get there and be successful. As a fan, I like Arsenal because they play one, two touch football and they’re very good at it. And because of my mates, I like Liverpool.

You spoke of a pact with Valencia’s majority owner, Juan Soler, about your Valencia exit. Do you trust him?

- When some clubs expressed their interest in me, he told me that he didn’t want to negotiate and that we would discuss it next year.

You mean this summer…

- Yes but if an offer arrives for me I will have to speak to the president [Agustin Morera], not with the majority owner.

I love the way the media put a spin on things!

i'd say we are in the best position to buy players that are moving(if the funds are in place).Villa and players like him see a spanish armada of types,none of our spanish players suffered like reyes did at arsenal.The whole thing is set up to support them,staff,players etc all speak the language.
    Villa and his type will all start moving to the premiership soon,especially with Torres saying he finds the marking harder physically but easier in general to lose players and confuse them with movement etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tusky wrote: »
    I love the way the media put a spin on things!

PHB is not the media ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

With zaragoza nearly being relegated anyone think we should go for Diego Milito? Good goalscoring record and we were heavily linked with him last summer.

being honest....i'd probably have some form of sex wee if that happened.

I'd like to second this statement

Villa + Torres would be sick !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hicks interview on SSN will be shown this evening apparently.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Hicks interview on SSN will be shown this evening apparently.

Mike.

Balls. Ive had SSN on all afternoon waiting for it.

Apparently, the Chelsea players and staff will refuse all Sky media commitments in protest at having to play on thursday in what they see is denting their chance of the title having had to rest players against Wigan

sure its no different to playing on wednesday and then saturday

and if grant had any brains, he'd drop players for the everton game. If everton win, it means that they are 2 points behind liverpool

that could mean a bit of pressure on liverpool to win at the weekend, meaning rafa cant rest as many as he would like to.

also means chelsea have two days more to prepare for the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Rumours of both Villa and David Silva of Valencia going to Liverpool. Jaysus, what a front three you'd have there if you got them both.

---Villa----Torres----Silva--

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hdPbKKjfvp8
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4cV9K-M94_s

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Rumours of both Villa and David Silva of Valencia going to Liverpool. Jaysus, what a front three you'd have there if you got them both.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hdPbKKjfvp8
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4cV9K-M94_s

Hmm. Link to the rumours ? I know the Villa ones came from that interview but anit hear anything about Silva. Cant imagine Valencia selling their two best players.

event wrote: »
    also means chelsea have two days more to prepare for the champions league

Choices, choices, do i pick the conspiracy theory that the PL changed the game to give Utd an advantage in the league? or changed the game to give Chelsea an advantage in the CL??

ahhh, i cant decide! ;)

I've been secretly hoping for that most of the year. Both have spoken very favourably about Liverpool in the recent past if i'm not mistaken.

Rafa is in a strong position, both owners need to keep him onside in order to make any attempt to regain the fans trust. plus he is already aware of the money he has to spend in the summer (since the refinancing deal in Jan) and is supposedly very happy about it.

Tusky, they probably wouldnt have much choice, everyone has known that Villa has been leaving for a couple of years now, and their league campaign has been pretty disasterous-which would tie in with Silva wanting to jump ship

Hmm. Link to the rumours ? I know the Villa ones came from that interview but anit hear anything about Silva. Cant imagine Valencia selling their two best players.

Guillem Balague, Sid Lowe and Tim Stannard have all mentioned it in the past months in their articles. Let me go fish the internet for the references.

As Alan said, they have both spoken favourably about Liverpool also, and seeing as they should rename the club to 'mini espana' Id say its a distinct possibility, especially with the threat of relegation to Valencia at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Jesus imagine if we got Silva and Villa! I'd probably faint!

Guillem Balague, Sid Lowe and Tim Stannard have all mentioned it in the past months in their articles. Let me go fish the internet for the references.

As Alan said, they have both spoken favourably about Liverpool also, and seeing as they should rename the club to 'mini espana' Id say its a distinct possibility, especially with the threat of relegation to Valencia at this stage.

I wouldnt allow myself to believe it as I will just be too disappointed when see sign Garreth Barry & Jermaine Jenas!

Modric
    Silva
    Villa

I'd be happy with any one of those!

• Advertisement

I wouldnt allow myself to believe it as I will just be too disappointed when see sign Garreth Barry & Jermaine Jenas!

Modric
    Silva
    Villa

I'd be happy with any one of those!

Hahahahaha, believe my friend. Believe! I honestly think if you signed Modric, Villa and Silva, you'd have turn those draws into wins and losses into draws. It'd be perfect, Valencia when it was successful over the past 5 years because of its DEADLY counter attacking capabilities.

Thats what Rafa seems to be building towards with Liverpool, and you cant get more experienced and pacey counter attackers than Silva and Villa (despite them only being 22 and 26). Modric would then add the squad depth. I for one would become alot more interested in Liverpool if they signed them

If we got Modric, Villa and Silva....that little sex wee i was talking about earlier, would turn into a monster sex wee explosion.

If we got Modric, Villa and Silva....that little sex wee i was talking about earlier, would turn into a monster sex wee explosion.

Jesus, will you relax. I've just eaten!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SKy is not the media they are a live form of the unspeakable newspaper

:o sorry :o

Hahahahaha, believe my friend. Believe! I honestly think if you signed Modric, Villa and Silva, you'd have turn those draws into wins and losses into draws. It'd be perfect, Valencia when it was successful over the past 5 years because of its DEADLY counter attacking capabilities.

Thats what Rafa seems to be building towards with Liverpool, and you cant get more experienced and pacey counter attackers than Silva and Villa (despite them only being 22 and 26). Modric would then add the squad depth. I for one would become alot more interested in Liverpool if they signed them

My brain fizzles at the thought. It would have to be 4-4-2

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra--Skrtel--Aurelio

Silva---Gerrard--Masch--Modric

Torres--Villa

Subs:
    Babel
    Lucas
    Crouch
    Kuyt
    Alonso
    Benayoun
    Agger
    Finnan
    Insua
    Hyypia

With Riise, Pennant, Kewell & Voronin out the door.

*head explodes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Alonso is defo going in my opinion. That is why there is talk of Barry. It also wouldn't surprise me if they signed Johnson as backup to Gerard. This signing will probably be in part exchange from someone like Crouch or Risse to City.

If we do sign these players, it defo means that Rafa sees the 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 that we have been playing for the past 10 games as the long term direction that the team is heading in. Saying that, it will obviously leave the option to switch back to 4-4-2 if needed.

Signing those 2 players, with Alonso and Crouch leaving, would probably only involve a net outlay of 5 or 6 million by the club. This is without considering permanent moves from the likes of Guthrie or Carson.

That still leaves the vast majority of the funds that have been set aside for the summer available. Rumours seem to suggest that it is anything up to 40 million.

If that is the case, Villa, Silva (or players of that calibre) and a full back can defo still be purchased.

I agree that Alonso will go in the summer. Just because of all the stuff that's been in the press the last few months. I know it's only speculation an all, but i'd be more surprised if he was still at the club next season than not.
    All this bickering at board level and game playing is disappointing because i think it could be such an exciting time at Liverpool. Three Champions League semi final appearances in four years, possible three final appearances in four years, Rafa starting to finally get the players to play a formation he wants, the players we're been linked to and that i'm sure would love to play under Rafa......these troubles higher up need to be sorted as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

With Riise, Pennant, Kewell & Voronin out the door.

^^This will be a good place start.

Anyone think we need a decent back up for Reina. I know we haven't seen much of Itandje, but the bits we have seen he hasn't looked great.

Itandje is sh!te, pure and simple. The keeper who is goal at the moment for Bolton wouldn't be too bad as back up. He looks decent enough. You're never gonna get a top class keeper as back up happy to sit on bench.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement