Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

omgz brain explosion!

Liverpool are currently 4 points off 1st place. No games in hand, just 4 points off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

YeEactly, we are 4 points off the top, we dont have a game in hnd on Arsenal.

Fact is, if the same 6 games were spread randomly across the season we would be expecting win and maybe accept a draw with Chelsea. The fact that they all came together at the start shouldnt change expctations of the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

We have Arsenal coming up soon in Anfield tho. We win there it would give us a huge boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And would put us into second too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And would put us into second too..

Yeah and if we'd beaten Birmingham, Portsmouth and Chelsea we'd be looking sweet at the top right now. We've been living on if's for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Stekelly wrote:
    Realisticly looking at the first 6 games beforehand, Chelsea should havebeen the only stumbling block, Villa at a strecth. e've had a good start, not a great one. Just because its better than other crap starts we've had, doesnt mean its great. We are 4 points off the top aswell.

But the fact that it is better than the other starts we've had can't be ignored. We're improving which as far as I can recall most people on here said that's what they were looking for at the start of the season.

People got carried away when we hammered Derby 6-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The point is though, it's not really that big an improvement. Yes it was a nice start, and normally Liverpool have started poorly, but if you look at it in terms of general player, 6 games 3 draws 3 wins is not a huge improvement on last year, infact it's only two points better.
    When you consider last years first six were:
    Sheffield Utd, Everton, West Ham, Chelsea, Newcastle and Tottenham
    in comparision to:
    Villa, Chelsea, Sunderland, Derby, Portsmouth, Birmingham
    It really isn't a huge improvement at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

If we can get an extra 2 points from every 6 games this season it will put us a fair bit closer to Utd's total points for last season.

That's what people wanted.

Added to that the fact that most reckon the title race will be closer this year, that should put us right in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

omgz brain explosion!

Liverpool are currently 4 points off 1st place. No games in hand, just 4 points off.
    Whoops! I neglected to read the table before commenting. :o Sorry about that. Having a quick look at the fixtures shows we have Arsenal at home on Oct 28th. A performance and scoreline similar to the last time we played them at Anfield would be most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I was dissapointed with the draw versus Birmingham and the 2 pts dropped for a number of reasons.

For one, it again showed that Rafa is not putting out the best team at the start of each premiership match. This is a similar pattern as in other recent seasons and is why the league points tally has suffered more than it should/could.

Secondly, the players did not play with the urgency that they should have. Whilst we did have most of the play, and Brum were limited to only a couple of chances, the tempo should have been upped several gears at least at the start of the 2nd half. The clock was ticking, football matches are only 90+ mins, not all day!

Overall, with that result and the Portsmouth one, its a sign that there are no major changes in terms of our premiership pts tally, so I at this early stage of the season do not expect us to win the league.

The league may be a more open race this season, and this stage it looks as if it will be between Arsenal and Man Utd, with Liverpool and Chelsea hoping to hang on, but mainly looking like they will battle for 3rd and 4th.

As for Spurs, if they dont improve results soon, they could nearly start saying goodbye to a Uefa place, and be staring at a bottom-half finish.

Its still early days but these signs for Liverpool are just too symptomatic of previous seasons failings .... I can envisage it now, Rafa will start optimising for the CL in Feb/Mar.

I dont mind us going for the CL as a priority, but it goes against the grain of what all the players (8,23) and owners, management, etc have been saying. I place more value on actions than on words, and Rafa is clearly not optimising for the league with his actions.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

redspider wrote:
    its a sign that there are no major changes in terms of our premiership pts tally, so I at this early stage of the season do not expect us to win the league.
    I agree with the majority of what you posted but just wanted to comment on this bit. I never expect Liverpool to do anything. I hope that they will but I've been following football long enough to know that you can't take anything for granted. My hope for this season was that Liverpool would still be involved in the title race after Christmas. Also beating Man Utd in the league for once would be nice. :)

Regarding the points comment, Aston Villa away should have been wrapped up long before the unfortunate penalty decision nearly gifted them three points but we snatched a victory. On another day that could easily have been two points dropped. Portsmouth away is always going to be a tough match and we were fortunate to escape with a point after they missed a penalty and aguably had the better chances. Birmingham beat us twice in the league the last time they were in the top division so you could say that we have improved on that record by getting a point. Basically, in seasons gone by, we could easily have lost a game or two by now and already be watching Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd tear off into the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

New squad picture out today.

squad_200708_800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

malice_ wrote:
    I agree with the majority of what you posted but just wanted to comment on this bit. I never expect Liverpool to do anything. I hope that they will but I've been following football long enough to know that you can't take anything for granted. My hope for this season was that Liverpool would still be involved in the title race after Christmas. Also beating Man Utd in the league for once would be nice. :)

Well, I'm in exactly the same mode of thought as you. I didnt expect them to win the league before it started, but I was looking to a better run this time out, given who was bought, what was said, etc. The chances of winning the league, whether you and I expected it or not, arent looking so likely at the moment.

And yes, better results against the top-4 would alleviate not winning the league somewhat.

Fingers crossed ...

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

do you think arsenal,chelsea or united look better by much or at all than us this season?i personally dont and think it will be a sloppier race this season with more points dropped.

Arsenal are looking like the best team in the premiership currently and are in the league. They have looked better than any of the top 4. They have an average run coming up in terms of Newcastle, West Ham, Sunderland, Bolton, Liverpool. You'd expect them to win at least 3 of those, probably four, and then the Liverpool fixture will be interesting.

United have played what can only be described as poorly in attack excellent in defense. They are beginning to hit stride with four wins on the bounce. They are also beginning to gain some form, and have an easyish run of games coming up with Brum, Wigan, Villa, Boro, Arsenal.

Liverpool on the other hand have Wigan, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal, Blackburn for their next five games. They had an easy run until now in general, and should have capitalised. They haven't, and I expect them to fall further behind the pace. That said, they could surprise me.

Chelsea I really don't know, they still count mount a challenge I think, especially after the big splashes in cash that will come post Christmas. I thought this league would be won on around 80 points, but I think it might be higher now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Personally I can see a much lower tally winning the league this season. None of the 'big four' are infallible and I can see all of them going through rough patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool on the other hand have Wigan, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal, Blackburn for their next five games. They had an easy run until now in general, and should have capitalised. They haven't, and I expect them to fall further behind the pace. That said, they could surprise me.

Well Wigan and Spurs should be easy enough right now, Everton have looked sort of solid Blackburn have faultured a bit, Arsenal can either be brilliant or bloody awful (within a game) so I would'nt like to make a prediction. :)

10 points would be nice to be honest.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Is the game tonight on tv by chance?
    have an easyish run of games coming up with Brum, Wigan, Villa, Boro, Arsenal

Boro the bogey team and Arsenal in the top spot playing the best football so far?
    Not even easy-ish tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea Sky are showing the game tonight

• Advertisement

ffs, damn sky. I thought it came with the NTL max package but apparently not :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Yeah Sky sports 2,
    Would like to see Leto and El Zhar play tonight, was watching them on lfc tv playing in the reserves against wigan and they looked impressive.
    Hobbs to partner Carra or Hypia.

not saying i want us to lose by any stretch of the imagination, but . . . if we get knock out of this, its another competition we won't have to rotate for :)

I'd actually be of the same opinion, same with the FA Cup.

The less games we can possibly play might stop Rafa from rotating and changing so much.

In saying that, throw out a decent enough team and if they perform, then all well and good.

New Bulgarian Fella

Finnan--Arbeloa---Hobbs---Aurelio

Lucas----Sissoko
    Yossi
    Babel-
    Crouch---Torres

That'd do me, wouldnt have thought Torres but with him sittin out the weekend,need to keep sharp or he'll be rotated to sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

It's a great opportunity for the younger/fringe players that we don't get to see much of though. Not a competition I'm bothered about us winning or loosing but I would like to see us have a decent enough run just so those players get the games.

• Advertisement

This match tonight might be a good time to see how arbeloa gets on at center half. It will also be good to see if Aurelio gets a game under his belt.

darkskol: *cough* *cough* check out me above line up :)

darkskol: *cough* *cough* check out me above line up :)

Yeah I know I was just commenting on what you said but I forgot to quote you :o

Reading have rung the changes big-time it seems.
    Coppell said: "I see no reason to change it. We went up to Anfield last season and we are keeping the same policy.

"I will make seven or eight changes again. It is a very important game for me for so many reasons, giving people the opportunity to express themselves against what is inevitably going to be a top-quality 'world' team with players from across the globe. It will be an exciting evening.

"It is not a question of spreading the load as we have a squad and you are never going to go through the season with the best XI. You have got to keep everyone connected and 'at it', for want of a better expression.

"Now they have got the chance to show not just me but the crowd exactly what they are capable of."

One man with something to prove is Leroy Lita, whom Coppell confirmed would be a definite starter in the Madejski Stadium clash.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im thinking;

Itandje
    Darby--Carra--Hobbs--Aurelio
    Yossi--Sissoko--Lucas--Leto
    Crouch--Torres

With El Zhar and Insua getting on

• Advertisement

Itandje, Finnan, Aurelio, Carragher, Arbeloa, Leto, Sissoko, Lucas, Benayoun, Crouch, Torres.

Subs: Martin, Gerrard, Riise, Hobbs, Putterill

Looks like we get to Arbeloa at CB then..

So thats

Itangje
    Finnan--Carra-Arbeloa-Aurelio
    Benny-Sissoko-Lucas-Leto
    ----Torres-Crouch

and a slap across Rafas face for playing Torrres!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    So thats

Itangje
    Finnan--Carra-Arbeloa-Aurelio
    Benny-Sissoko-Lucas-Leto
    ----Torres-Crouch

and a slap across Rafas face for playing Torrres!

Mike.

So thats why he was resting Torres against Birmingham :p
    Looking forward to see Leto play, Hobbs not starting is a shame but I'm sure he will be on at some point. No El Zhar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Any feeds for this tonight??

darkskol wrote:
    No El Zhar.

Am very surprised he didn't even make the bench as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

jonny24ie wrote:
    Any feeds for this tonight??

One of These should work for you.

If you have access to fivelive extra its on there.

Mike

Oh dear Torres down getting back up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

and torres seems injured already. good work rafa!

Fowler scores for cardiff after 4 mins!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Call_me_al wrote:
    and torres seems injured already. good work rafa!

Typical of this place, i swear to god!!!

People give out when he doesnt play Torres and then give out when he does play him.

What a goal from Yossi!!!

GOAL!!!! Lovely goal by yossi

**** me that's some goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I take it my japenese web stream is about 10 mins behind the times so

edit: 5 mins, nice goal :)

Another great goal, Bobby Convey this time.

Holy **** again, what a strike

Momo 's passing is very poor few nice link ups with aurelio and leto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm just wondering does anyone know how Leto and Lucas got work permits?
    I presume they both hold european passports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ooooh unlucky from torres there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement