Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Tusky wrote: »
    You dont want to turn it into a Torres V Ronaldo debate ? Really ? Well, it looks like thats exactly what you have done!

They are both great players, lets leave it at that.

Oh I am.......I am leaving it at that. But if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has feathers, it must be a striker.

Anyways, had a dream last night that we beat Chelsea this Tuesday 2-1. Pissed about the away goal, I think it was Joe Cole that got it, but Nando followed it up immediately for 2-1. Don't think I had any revelations about how the 2nd leg will go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There ya go, everyones happy

PHB wrote: »
    There ya go, everyones happy

Why you dirty.......:cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

How come we have to play saturday then tuesday and chelsea get the extra rest, load of balls!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Yeah but we can play our youth team tomorrow. And hopefully Rafa will do just that. If anyone can complain it's MU who get very little rest either side of their Barca games and have a better-rested Chelsea in between for what might be an important game in the English league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

stick-dan wrote: »
    How come we have to play saturday then tuesday and chelsea get the extra rest, load of balls!

In fairness they played on Tuesday as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tusky wrote: »
    In fairness they played on Tuesday as well.

Monday and Thursday was it not.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Monday and Thursday was it not.

Touche.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just a quick one, how come we haven't gotten our own sub forum now to discuss LFC. This thread is huge and mixed with all sorts of stuff. I saw the thread in the Forums ehhhh Forum and to me it makes sense to have a forum for easier reading etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was discussed to death ages ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

gerrard expected to miss out and torres to be rested!

whats the odds on crouch starting?

Good ?

Something like this I'd say. Possibly with Voronin & Bennys positions swapped.

Crouch

Babel
    Benayoun----Voronin

Mascherano--Lucas

Riise
    Carra
    Skrtel----Finnan

Reina

Tusky I would imagine Alonso in the Middle and Lucas in Gerrards role might be the line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crouch

Babel
    Benayoun----Voronin

Mascherano--Lucas

Riise
    Carra
    Skrtel----Finnan

Reina

Well that'll fox Fulham! :pac:

Mike.

Its a pity because Crouch is lethal against Chelsea. He always has caused huge difficulties for them. Last seasons Semi-Final second leg was no exception. Needless to say I can see Crouch and Vorro up front this weekend and Diggler Nando and the G man get the weekend off.

Rafa will prolly roll Crouchy out for the second leg vs Chelsea.

Itandje

---Arbeloa
    Skittles
    Hyppia
    Insua

Plessis

---Benny
    Lucas
    Riise

Crouch
    Voronin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Vorro,Diggler,Nando,Crouchy,Skittles

Oh my word :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gary Megson will take a contract out. After Warnock of course.

Mike.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Oh my word :confused:

Dirk Diggler. He Works HARD.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Gary Megson will take a contract out. After Warnock of course.

Mike.

Mike, you see Warnock was going mad about it still in another interview today....wat a sad sad man.

I hope Liverpool never win another trophy under Benitez, fumes ex-Blades boss Warnock as Rafa looks set to field another understrength side
    Last updated at 10:28am on 18th April 2008

Neil Warnock has lashed out at Rafael Benitez for making a mockery of the Premier League survival battle - and hopes he never wins another trophy at Anfield.

The former Sheffield United manager is still seething that Liverpool lost 1-0 after fielding a severely weakened team at Fulham last May, a result which ultimately kept the London side up by a single point at the Blades' expense.

With Liverpool playing in the Champions League semi-final on Tuesday, Warnock expects Benitez to leave his star names on the sidelines again against the Cottagers on Saturday but believes that would show contempt for the clubs fighting to preserve their top-flight status.

"My advice to Reading, Bolton and the rest would be, if you're expecting any favours, don't hold your breath," said the Crystal Palace manager. "They will have to do it themselves.

"The fact of the matter is that if Liverpool were already out of the Champions League and needed to win to get fourth spot, they would play their strongest side.

"Instead, I fully expect them to play a weakened team at Fulham.

"It's part of a big club's mentality. They look after themselves and they don't bother about anyone else. The whole story that Sheffield United were going down and me having a pop at them afterwards was just treated like fish and chip paper by them. Liverpool didn't care because they weren't the ones getting hurt by it all.

"I'm still very bitter about it and personally I hope Liverpool never win another trophy under Benitez. I like them as a club but I would be very pleased to see them win nothing."

Warnock still shudders when he recalls the moment he saw Liverpool's line-up at Craven Cottage last season.

"I felt sick, physically sick, when I found out the team Liverpool were playing," said Warnock.

"We had a late kick-off at Villa Park that day and when we saw who Benitez had picked, we were struggling to even think who they were.

"We hadn't even heard of them and a lot of them haven't played for the club since.

"It was scandalous, really. You don't feel it's fair but it just confirmed that these guys don't give two hoots about clubs like Sheffield United or people like Neil Warnock.

"You can talk about rules being put in place to stop it happening but that's not going to happen.

"The Premier League don't care about smaller clubs like Sheffield United, as they proved with the whole Carlos Tevez affair last season.

"Big clubs look after themselves and the people who run the Premier League will always look after themselves. Nothing will ever change.

"The sad thing is I felt we had done enough last season; we had 38 points, which would have been enough in a normal season.

"For us to get that number of points was an achievement and yet it's gone down in history as a relegation on my CV, not an achievement.

"Nobody got hurt apart from me and Sheffield United. Rafa Benitez certainly didn't."

Mike, you see Warnock was going mad about it still in another interview today....wat a sad sad man.

I hope Liverpool never win another trophy under Benitez, fumes ex-Blades boss Warnock as Rafa looks set to field another understrength side
    Last updated at 10:28am on 18th April 2008

Neil Warnock has lashed out at Rafael Benitez for making a mockery of the Premier League survival battle - and hopes he never wins another trophy at Anfield.

The former Sheffield United manager is still seething that Liverpool lost 1-0 after fielding a severely weakened team at Fulham last May, a result which ultimately kept the London side up by a single point at the Blades' expense.

With Liverpool playing in the Champions League semi-final on Tuesday, Warnock expects Benitez to leave his star names on the sidelines again against the Cottagers on Saturday but believes that would show contempt for the clubs fighting to preserve their top-flight status.

"My advice to Reading, Bolton and the rest would be, if you're expecting any favours, don't hold your breath," said the Crystal Palace manager. "They will have to do it themselves.

"The fact of the matter is that if Liverpool were already out of the Champions League and needed to win to get fourth spot, they would play their strongest side.

"Instead, I fully expect them to play a weakened team at Fulham.

"It's part of a big club's mentality. They look after themselves and they don't bother about anyone else. The whole story that Sheffield United were going down and me having a pop at them afterwards was just treated like fish and chip paper by them. Liverpool didn't care because they weren't the ones getting hurt by it all.

"I'm still very bitter about it and personally I hope Liverpool never win another trophy under Benitez. I like them as a club but I would be very pleased to see them win nothing."

Warnock still shudders when he recalls the moment he saw Liverpool's line-up at Craven Cottage last season.

"I felt sick, physically sick, when I found out the team Liverpool were playing," said Warnock.

"We had a late kick-off at Villa Park that day and when we saw who Benitez had picked, we were struggling to even think who they were.

"We hadn't even heard of them and a lot of them haven't played for the club since.

"It was scandalous, really. You don't feel it's fair but it just confirmed that these guys don't give two hoots about clubs like Sheffield United or people like Neil Warnock.

"You can talk about rules being put in place to stop it happening but that's not going to happen.

"The Premier League don't care about smaller clubs like Sheffield United, as they proved with the whole Carlos Tevez affair last season.

"Big clubs look after themselves and the people who run the Premier League will always look after themselves. Nothing will ever change.

"The sad thing is I felt we had done enough last season; we had 38 points, which would have been enough in a normal season.

"For us to get that number of points was an achievement and yet it's gone down in history as a relegation on my CV, not an achievement.

"Nobody got hurt apart from me and Sheffield United. Rafa Benitez certainly didn't."

Reina, Arbeloa, Paletta, Hyypia, Insua (Finnan 75), Pennant (El Zhar 65), Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez (Kewell 77), Fowler, Bellamy.

Reina- 1st team keeper

Arbeloa- 1st team regular RB/LB

Hyypia- 1st team Center Back

Insua- Reserve LB

Pennant-Starting Winger, Started the CL Final

Alonso- Main Creative central midfielder

Sissoko- until arrival of Mash that Feb he was the main Holding Mid and scored his first Liverpool goal as late as the following September:eek:

Fowler and Bellamy: Bellamy scored against Barcelona in the Champions League and Fowler needs no introduction.

I think 4 of those players started against Milan in the CL final.

Warnock is full of KAK. He only needed a draw against Wigan in the last game and got BEAT 2-1 AT HOME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wow usually storys like that are taken out of context but looking at the quotes, he really is that bitter. Sad man

If I remember correctly he fielded a weakened team against someone last season(might of been at Old Trafford) but he contradicted himself i'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Easier to blame a team for resting players in 1 game rather than his own incompetence over a whole season. Muppet. :rolleyes:

also didnt they pick up a point from us when we fielded a weakened team at the start of the season before the CL qualifier? didnt seem too fussed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

With all the in fighting going on in the board room it's no surprise that the press are starting to talk about DIC waiting in the background again.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/41832/Yanks-going-home-Gillett-cuts-a-Deal

Nothing really new in there but the claim that pre-emptive rights on DICs offer to Gillet expires in little over a month from now seems to be gathering pace.

zing wrote: »
    With all the in fighting going on in the board room it's no surprise that the press are starting to talk about DIC waiting in the background again.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/41832/Yanks-going-home-Gillett-cuts-a-Deal

Nothing really new in there but the claim that pre-emptive rights on DICs offer to Gillet expires in little over a month from now seems to be gathering pace.

Yeah well, the writing was on the wall when Dunphy said that "The Yanks Will Clean Up English Football"....Dunphy is the Max Kellerman of Soccer. The minute he said that were were fukced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yeah well, the writing was on the wall when Dunphy said that "The Yanks Will Clean Up English Football"....Dunphy is the Max Kellerman of Soccer. The minute he said that were were fukced.

hmmm, i see you've responded to a post by talking about Dunphy again. you can ignore my last post so. I think you should watch football and stop reading tabloid columns, they are obviously having a serious impact on your ability to talk football.

hmmm, i see you've responded to a post by talking about Dunphy again. you can ignore my last post so. I think you should watch football and stop reading tabloid columns, they are obviously having a serious impact on your ability to talk football.

He said it on RTE in response to the allegation that Benitez was being thick with the new owners.

Last I checked RTE was the national broadcaster, Benitez managed Liverpool and the same Yanks were trying to sink us.

• Advertisement

He said it on RTE in response to the allegation that Benitez was being thick with the new owners.

so... ?
    Last I checked RTE was the national broadcaster, Benitez managed Liverpool and the same Yanks were trying to sink us.

hmmm, you have some knack for stating the obvious there. but i ask, what does Dunphy's rantings have to do with Liverpool? has he some kind of magical powers we don't know about?

so... ?

hmmm, you have some knack for stating the obvious there. but i ask, what does Dunphy's rantings have to do with Liverpool? has he some kind of magical powers we don't know about?

Okay Benji I'll spell it out: YOU WANT TO KNOW why I mentioned DUNPHY in response to a POST which REFERRED to the CONTTTTTINNNNNNUIINNNNNNNNGGGG mess at Anfield.

The REASON I mentioned it is because a CERTAIN HIGH PROFILE JOURNALIST made a statement WHILST occupying a position of AUTHORITY from within the national BROADCASTER TO THE EFFECT THAT Rafael Benitez was WRONG and that the OWNERS were RIGHT.

NOW!!! Do you agree, or do you NOT agree, that the Yanks have messed up, and the failure of eminent journos, operating from withing a position of no small authority, is gravely worrying?? What chance does the club have of being properly represented, how long before our FINE manager cracks under pressure generated by ARSEHOLES in the media who act in a predatory vulture fashion whilst PROCLAIMING to be objective, and, in the words of Dunphy to be "just an analyst, Bill".

Okay Benji I'll spell it out: YOU WANT TO KNOW why I mentioned DUNPHY in response to a POST which REFERRED to the CONTTTTTINNNNNNUIINNNNNNNNGGGG mess at Anfield.

The REASON I mentioned it is because a CERTAIN HIGH PROFILE JOURNALIST made a statement WHILST occupying a position of AUTHORITY from within the national BROADCASTER TO THE EFFECT THAT Rafael Benitez was WRONG and that the OWNERS were RIGHT.

NOW!!! Do you agree, or do you NOT agree, that the Yanks have messed up, and the failure of eminent journos, operating from withing a position of no small authority, is gravely worrying?? What chance does the club have of being properly represented, how long before our FINE manager cracks under pressure generated by ARSEHOLES in the media who act in a predatory vulture fashion whilst PROCLAIMING to be objective, and, in the words of Dunphy to be "just an analyst, Bill".

I LIKE TO USE CAPITALS BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL IMPORTANT!!!

and also. the national broadcaster. the national broadcaster of a different country. the national broadcaster of a country so small that there are regional channels in the UK larger than it?

remind me, 1 and 1 equals?

I LIKE TO USE CAPITALS BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL IMPORTANT!!!

I use them cos it catches the eye.
    and also. the national broadcaster. the national broadcaster of a different country. the national broadcaster of a country so small that there are regional channels in the UK larger than it?

This is www.boards.IE right?? As soon as it becomes www.boards.co.uk you can dismiss the opinion of the NATIONAL broadcaster as being irrelevant and petty.

This is www.boards.IE right?? As soon as it becomes www.boards.co.uk you can dismiss the opinion of the NATIONAL broadcaster as being irrelevant and petty.

hmmm, you've previously stated on this forum that Dunphy has been responsible for the mess at Liverpool and seemingly everything else wrong with the world of football. now i ask you, once again, how can a man who is frankly insignificant on the world stage of football do this?

and to clarify; its not boards.co.uk, it's boards.org.uk

hmmm, you've previously stated on this forum that Dunphy has been responsible for the mess at Liverpool and seemingly everything else wrong with the world of football. now i ask you, once again, how can a man who is frankly insignificant on the world stage of football do this?

????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

now you know how i feel

Dunphy usually gets things wrong. This was another thing he got wrong. The Yanks are bad for Liverpool, period. The fact that Dunphy said that BENITEZ was bad and the Yanks were good just confirmed my suspicions.

Dunphy usually gets things wrong. This was another thing he got wrong. The Yanks are bad for Liverpool, period. The fact that Dunphy said that BENITEZ was bad and the Yanks were good just confirmed my suspicions.

that wording still implies that Dunphy has some authority/influence over the affairs of Liverpool. how does him saying anything confirm anything if this were not the case?

that wording still implies that Dunphy has some authority/influence over the affairs of Liverpool. how does him saying anything confirm anything if this were not the case?

Is English your first language???

lenin, don't waste your time. This thread is usually pretty good but it's a bit hard to follow at the moment.

Hope we put out a few youths tomorrow, I keep hearing about some of these reserve players. Would be good to get a view of some of them (I am not based in Liverpool).

• Advertisement

Is English your first language???

no. Klingon is. why do you ask?

no. Klingon is. why do you ask?

Because........I wasn't being deadly serious when I said that Dunphy put a hex on us.

Because........I wasn't being deadly serious when I said that Dunphy put a hex on us.

hmmm, could have sworn you were what with you're use of capitals and all.
    Oobydooby wrote:
    Hope we put out a few youths tomorrow, I keep hearing about some of these reserve players. Would be good to get a view of some of them (I am not based in Liverpool).

indeed, it would be nice to assess how far Benitez's Wenger-inspired revamp of the youth system has progressed.

hmmm, could have sworn you were what with you're use of capitals and all.

Yeah well swear less and proof read more.

i am no longer the most annoying poster in this thread :) YES!

indeed, it would be nice to assess how far Benitez's Wenger-inspired revamp of the youth system has progressed.

If Wenger was inspired he would have tossed his youth system to one side and signed Torres and Babel when he had the chance.

Awwww, poor Lenny Benny. Or is Eamonn his name.

Not for long I'd say;)

I'm hoping Rafa's youth plan (Wenger inspired or not) has good deep roots, 'cause it might make him want to stay in spite of all the messing upstairs. Also, if one or two youngsters catch the eye, it might encourage the feuding fools to give him more cash in the summer. For youngsters and another Torres. I've never seen this Spearing lad who people often mention. Hope he gets a run tomorrow.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Not for long I'd say;)

:pac::pac::pac:

be sure and watch RTE this Tuesday lads, Eamonn will be ready with the excuses. In fact, lets have a look at what he might have in store.

1. Abramovich is ruining Chelsea.

2. Grant is ruining Chelsea.

3. Liverpool is ruining Chellsea

4. Anfield is a hard place to go.

5. Chelsea are really missing Kezman.

Amazing...none of you feel the bile for this man that I do. How does it feel to see this panel of gobsheens **** all over Rafa and the lads week in week out...???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement