Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Daemonic wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Anywhooooooooooooooooo, just watched the highlights on MOTD. Liverpool did the job against an awful Fulham team. Good that players like Lucas can get a game like this to build their confidence. Tuesday nerves start now :o

speaking of Lucas,he is quickly becoming my most hated player,I really thought he would do good.

When Lucas is on the pitch,this is what he will do

1-recieve ball
    2-pass it immediately back to the player who passed it to him,if that player has made a run,he will ignore that player and pass it back towards goal.:mad:

the sad thing is,he has all the ammunition to be the next fabregas.He has very good passing accuracy and vision,when he bothers.

D22-quit while you ahead,I speak from experience of being banned at least 3 times from soccer.you cant win this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Unlikely, the CL is the only one that is in their own hands. And as for the nerves, they started an age ago :)

And dc. I have no idea or certainly no memory of any previous ban, I am not sure what else you are trying to say in that post apart from I am not a Mod Fan but if OKAY would answer it then please accept it as my response.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Unlikely, the CL is the only one that is in their own hands. And as for the nerves, they started an age ago :)

I don't know, if they beat united it might just mean united get a bit of a shock that they might loose the title and could draw a game and Chelsea could go on and win it.

Then nerves started the second the draw was made and I had a feeling we would get chelsea in the semi's again. Milan got "revenge" so now it "Has to be" Chelseas turn as sky will bill it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

dc69 wrote: »
    speaking of Lucas,he is quickly becoming my most hated player,I really thought he would do good.

When Lucas is on the pitch,this is what he will do

1-recieve ball
    2-pass it immediately back to the player who passed it to him,if that player has made a run,he will ignore that player and pass it back towards goal.:mad:

the sad thing is,he has all the ammunition to be the next fabregas.He has very good passing accuracy,when he botheres.

D22-quit while you ahead,I speak from experience of being banned at least 3 times from soccer.you cant win this
    Lucas has been very good. He doesn't play a lot of matches, but rarely puts a foot wrong. He's been far more consistent than the likes of Babel or Benni. He has the potential to be the best player at the club.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Lucas has been very good. He doesn't play a lot of matches, but rarely puts a foot wrong. He's been far more consistent than the likes of Babel or Benni. He has the potential to be the best player at the club.

but he does nothing,how can he be inconsistent.

he just 1 touch passes back to the original passer,its infuriating at times.

I agree he has huge talent though

• Advertisement

funny one that dc, how can you agree he has bags of talent if all he does is wall pass the ball ;)

but he does nothing,how can he be inconsistent.

I agree he has huge talent though
    For example he played the ball through for Pennant to score today. Apart from Xabi, he is the best passer at the club.

He's 21, he was captain of Brazil U21, player of the year in Brazil last year, and has been capped at senior level. Its his first year in English football, and he's mostly been on the periphery. He's shown he's up for the physical side of the game. Which is one of the most common obstacles foreign players have to settling in England. I expect him to go from strenght to strength in the next few season.

funny one that dc, how can you agree he has bags of talent if all he does is wall pass the ball ;)

at the start of the season I saw some good stuff from him,he has also won the golden ball in Brazil.
    Its obvious he has talent,the boy just aint using it.

or at least to his fullest.I think rafa is telling him to slow the game down or something,I have seen videos of him for gremio.he is very good at getting foward and passing but yet he does some very odd things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mayordenis wrote: »
    Bannor always had some source that was always correct, ALWAYS. we miss bannor immensly.

Was just thinking the same thing. Trypically with boards, he has an awful lot of **** constantly questioning him but his posts were always a good read. Shame he isn't around any longer.

I too think he will be massive for us and physically he is well able. Only aspect that I think he really needs to work on I feel is maybe his workrate, which he lets drop sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Funnily enough, I had a similar conversation with another Liverpool fan before the recent Arsenal match. He also slated Lucas. Personally I think he's a very solid performer. He doesn't come across as a weak link in the midfield at all despite his age and inexperience. Given that he's also joined the likes of Kaka' and Robinho in being voted Brazilian player of the year, I think he really could be a massive Player for Liverpool.

Even just going by today's match he did a lot more than just pass the ball back to where it came from. Didn't he have a run down the right where he cut the ball back for Benayoun to have a shot in the second half?

malice_ wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I had a similar conversation with another Liverpool fan before the recent Arsenal match. He also slated Lucas. Personally I think he's a very solid performer. He doesn't come across as a weak link in the midfield at all despite his age and inexperience. Given that he's also joined the likes of Kaka' and Robinho in being voted Brazilian player of the year, I think he really could be a massive Player for Liverpool.

Even just going by today's match he did a lot more than just pass the ball back to where it came from. Didn't he have a run down the right where he cut the ball back for Benayoun to have a shot in the second half?

yeah,I know what your saying,i think he set up a goal today?

I just think he can do alot more and I would love it.I was raving about him at the start of the season,saying we had gerrardinho.

hopefully next year he will be allowed to play the way he played for gremio.ie controlling the game more and getting foward

d22ontour wrote: »
    :confused:confused:confused:
    You've obviously been on the sauce. I don't know or remember any of your previous posts to know if you are a gob****e or a sound guy. While it might be entertaining to you to post shíte in your current state, really it only makes you seem foolish.

So, changing the subject - what's your poison? Me, I'm on a South Australina Viognier. Thinking of opening an Alsatian Riesling, but unlikely to have more than one glass at this stage.

So, changing the subject - what's your poison? Me, I'm on a South Australina Viognier. Thinking of opening an Alsatian Riesling, but unlikely to have more than one glass at this stage.

personally im going to crack my first can now,been waiting for the fight to get closer.

Dutch gold lol
    I am one of few who actually prefer it to heineken etc

suppose im used to it from my youth.

Plenty of time for more than one, am just going to continue on the Paddy, decent show re Hillsborough just finishing on LFC Tv.

Seems it is more than I who have had a couple tonight. I have tidied up a bit here but any more posts that are out of line and I am banning, OK.

personally im going to crack my first can now,been waiting for the fight to get closer.

Dutch gold lol
    I am one of few who actually prefer it to heineken etc

suppose im used to it from my youth.
    Dutch Gold / Heineken - its all piss to me.

you not a fan of larger?

do we have a wine connoisseur in our midsts:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I never said that?check for the post again:D

Ah the back button on the brower is a handy function! :p

Lucas seems to be a very good buy from Rafa. The lad is only going to get better and with Masch, Alonso and even Plessis that look like a good midfield for a good few years.

I have not had the pleasure of drinking piss although I do believe it has some interesting healing properties.

fan of larger what ? Ladies, never saw the attraction TBH.

I have not had the pleasure of drinking piss although I do believe it has some interesting healing properties.
    You've never tasted your own piss? You haven't lived!

• Advertisement

you not a fan of larger?
    Not really - but if I had to, i'd go with Spaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So i've heard a few times this week in the media that the 1st leg being at Anfield, and 2nd leg at the Bridge swings the tie in favour of Chelsea, don't really see that tbh

Sure Liverpool beat teams like Inter and Juve under Benitez playing at Anfield first before. Seems like one of those pointless things the media come up with to try and make what is sure to be a borefest(for neutrals) tie more interesting

Just saw the minutes silenc again there for Hillsborough, did not realise it was so well respected, I know that generally Blackburn fans are not tits, but there is always one. I suppose the threat of a kickin from your own fans will do that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just saw the minutes silenc again there for Hillsborough, did not realise it was so well respected, I know that generally Blackburn fans are not tits, but there is always one. I suppose the threat of a kickin from your own fans will do that.

Yea fair play to all.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yea fair play to all.

its funny that there is no mention of hillsborough even on english news,yet I saw berty ahern laying a wreath when the munich disaster was remebered.

There was plenty of mention on the english media, I get a fair amount of exposure to it dontchaknow, and it was all over, there was a few documentaries on about it too.

There was plenty of mention on the english media, I get a fair amount of exposure to it dontchaknow, and it was all over, there was a few documentaries on about it too.

I must not have been watching the right channels:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Indeed

Also the Munich disaster was in a landmark year(I know some people say it shouldn't matter how many years it's been etc but this is how the media works)

Next year the 20th anniversary will have loads of media I bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

its funny that there is no mention of hillsborough even on english news,yet I saw berty ahern laying a wreath when the munich disaster was remebered.

Seriously what is that post trying to achieve ? A United fan laying a wreath for a United tragedy , Oh noes...
    It is hardly Uniteds fault that the biggest politician in Ireland happens to be a United fan , eh ?
    Surely the problem should lay with the , wait for it , British broadcasters, to highlight the worst loss of life at an English game ?

Ya know posting pedantic cráp about politicians when 96 real fans lost there lives isnt honourable to them in any way.

• Advertisement

Seriously what is that post trying to achieve ? A United fan laying a wreath for a United tragedy , Oh noes...
    It is hardly Uniteds fault that the biggest politician in Ireland happens to be a United fan , eh ?
    Surely the problem should lay with the , wait for it , British broadcasters, to highlight the worst loss of life at an English game ?

Ya know posting pedantic cráp about politicians when 96 real fans lost there lives isnt honourable to them in any way.
    d22, please give it up now, go to bed or just stop posting, you really do not want to wake up tomorrow morning with a hangover to find that you are banned from soccer.

He passed comment about an event and you started jumping up and down again, it was fact, it was not as if he made up something specifically to annoy you, nice edit too, before the time ran out on the edit count too....

You know thats not what I meant,if you cant handle your drink then stop!
    what are your posts trying to achieve?you have posted nothing but antagonistic tripe for the last hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Unearthly wrote: »
    Indeed

Also the Munich disaster was in a landmark year(I know some people say it shouldn't matter how many years it's been etc but this is how the media works)

Next year the 20th anniversary will have loads of media I bet

yeh was just thinking the same thing it was 50 year anniversary of munich thats why there was so much about it.

Think there is plans for a liverpool v celtic friendly for next years 20th anniversary of hillsborough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

So i've heard a few times this week in the media that the 1st leg being at Anfield, and 2nd leg at the Bridge swings the tie in favour of Chelsea, don't really see that tbh

Sure Liverpool beat teams like Inter and Juve under Benitez playing at Anfield first before. Seems like one of those pointless things the media come up with to try and make what is sure to be a borefest(for neutrals) tie more interesting

One of the Chelsea players (Carlvalho?) brought it up too midweek.
    This will be our 4th semi against them in four years, surely they have to win one of them? No?

And you stop bloody pushing it too dc, I would rather not ban anybody tonight but that will not stop me from doing it if I have to.

d

He passed comment about an event and you started jumping up and down again, it was fact, it was not as if he made up something specifically to annoy you, nice edit too, before the time ran out on the edit count too....

Will delete your thread just to save you some face but once again you failed at what was being posted.

I edited nothing. You edited then deleted 2 of my posts.I sympathise with all 96 who lost their lives and yes i cried when i seen 96 real people die and their families suffer .But yet again you fookin ignore his post was a whine how Munich 50 years was more important than Hillsborough 89.It isn't nor ever will be.

Life lesson here ... Real people > Idols.

Edit and delete what you fookin want from that i dun care.

• Advertisement

Will delete your thread just to save you some face but once again you failed at what was being posted.

I edited nothing. You edited then deleted 2 of my posts.I sympathise with all 96 who lost their lives and yes i cried when i seen 96 real people die and their families suffer .But yet again you fookin ignore his post was a whine how Munich 50 years was more important than Hillsborough 89.It isn't nor ever will be.

Life lesson here ... Real people > Idols.

Edit and delete what you fookin want from that i dun care.

when did you seen 96 real people die?

when did you see 96 real people die?

Ya know i should report yore stupid fookin ass post for retardness but hey i woud prolly get banned.

Ya know i should report yore stupid fookin ass post for retardness but hey i woud prolly get banned.

I think you are going to get banned either way tbh.you are talking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

For example he played the ball through for Pennant to score today. Apart from Xabi, he is the best passer at the club.

He's 21, he was captain of Brazil U21, player of the year in Brazil last year, and has been capped at senior level. Its his first year in English football, and he's mostly been on the periphery. He's shown he's up for the physical side of the game. Which is one of the most common obstacles foreign players have to settling in England. I expect him to go from strenght to strength in the next few season.

I think it's far too early to judge how good a signing Lucas is. He looks good in possession and doesn't shirk any challenges but he still looks too weak for the English game. He doesn't have any pace either which is a bit of a drawback.

That said I thought he was very good yesterday. I think he plays a bit better when Gerrard isn't playing, because he tends to take a bit more responsibility for our play. Often when Gerrard plays he simply plays a short pass to him every time he's in possession.

What we've seen so far from Lucas suggests that he is a very good passer of the ball, he can score goals and he is a clever footballer. If he develops physically he'll be a very good player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

From what I've seen he likes playing 1 touch passes, usually sideways or backwards, I don't think we have that type of game to allow a midfielder to slow the game down in that way. (yet)

He also look a little light going into challenges, I'm sure he has the attributes but has this laid back style which looks like he's going at about 75% of capacity.

Next season we should start seeing how good he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its statisical FACT that the team playing the second leg at home
    has an advantage - about 20% more likely to qualify. It wont matter though as a 2 goal lead in the first game will be quite enough :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's Brazilian. That's how they play. They constantly move the ball, constantly, nearly all Brazilian midfielders do the same. With a bit more confidence he'll turn on the ball a little bit more, but not a huge amount, because he expects the other teammates to be able to pass as well as him, so he's passing to the person with the most space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Lots of Pool-related gossip from the BBC today, with varying levels of silliness:
    Chelsea will make a third attempt to sign Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard if Frank Lampard, as expected, leaves at the end of the season. (Various)

Barcelona striker Thierry Henry is keen for a return to the Premier League. However, although the former Arsenal forward is thought to prefer a switch to a London club, it is unlikely he will move back to the Gunners. (Various)

Newcastle are tracking Liverpool's out-of-favour winger Jermaine Pennant and Tottenham defender Anthony Gardner. (News of the World)

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is lining up Chelsea's Steve Sidwell as a replacement for Gareth Barry who looks set to join Liverpool in the summer.

Liverpool and Manchester City are eyeing Udinese's £8m-rated Swiss midfielder Gokham Inter, 23.

AND FINALLY

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is considering legal action against Neil Warnock after the former Sheffield United boss questioned his integrity in his newspaper column.

Warnock suggested that Rafa was given a yearly hamper from Harrods for his team selections as he prepared to send out an understrength Reds side at Fulham for the second year running (Harrods and Fulham are both owned by Mohamed Fayed).

Last season, the Cottagers beat Liverpool to stay up at the Blades' expense. (Various)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    He's Brazilian. That's how they play. They constantly move the ball, constantly, nearly all Brazilian midfielders do the same. With a bit more confidence he'll turn on the ball a little bit more, but not a huge amount, because he expects the other teammates to be able to pass as well as him, so he's passing to the person with the most space.

Exactly. Hes also 21 and made a big switch in terms of the quality of the league hes playing in. Definitely needs time before we will see his true ability (as with Anderson although he has progressed a little quicker).

Yesterday was a big step for him though. I thought he played great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Has everyone forgotten that Lucas had no pre-season break last year? He was playing in the Copa Libertadores last summer when all the other players were off, he missed the start of the Shanghai tournament because he was still with Gremio. He must be fúcking wrecked, he's playing nearly 2 years straight now. I remember Gamst Pederson was the same when he signed for Blackburn, not too special in his first year but burst out in his 2nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Warnock suggested that Rafa was given a yearly hamper from Harrods for his team selections as he prepared to send out an understrength Reds side at Fulham for the second year running (Harrods and Fulham are both owned by Mohamed Fayed).
    :pac:

I would not bother suing, if Warnock actaully said that then I'd just let his own words condemn him.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely that falls under stuff nobody would believe. Rafa bribed to play weak teams against Fulham for gift basket.

--
    He must be fúcking wrecked, he's playing nearly 2 years straight now.

You're right, the same with Tevez. South American countries seem to play much more football than European countries.

I also think the reason that Anderson has been able to adjust quicker is because he's got the physical side to his game which means he's more naturally gona be able to adjust, while Lucas will have to work on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont think its because they play more, its just the dates of the season are different to the european leagues meaning they play all the SA season which finishes in July/August and then straight into a European campaign without a break.

Mascherano and Tevez definitely suffered with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People can say what they like about Lucas' style of play. But I don't think anyone could doubt that his recent performances have looked a lot more polished than games from earlier in the season. And that is what matters - he is improving.

I'm on the fence with him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 wrote: »
    Tickets out :John Barnes/Jan Molby

We now have the tickets for:-

The next legends night

17th May Saturday - 8pm

JOHN BARNES & JAN MOLBY

NEW VENUE..NOW SUBMARINE BAR CRUMLIN

Tickets are €25.00 each

See Here for more info.

Link

This will be a sell out so try to get in fast,I am sure a few on this thread will testify that these are great nights in a good venue.

News :-

LFC TV WILL BE THERE TO FILM THE EVENT

They have been told by previous legends that have visited us, what a nice bunch of friendly folks we are.Tickets are selling fast and this is going out on the radio next week so PM me for tickets.

Also dnt forget out next get together next Sat for The Bob Paisley Cup

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement