Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like Hicks & Gillett have made up...!!!

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Any updates on Gerrards neck injury??? Cheers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The latest is he is still recovering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

jonny24ie wrote: »
    It is a touching gesture but what a sad story, the poor kid :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Poor kid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ynwa

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Here here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Quality quality story.
    Thanks Jonny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

its something when cappello talks about the anfield 12th man.
    hopefully there in full voice on tues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Rafael Benitez is hopeful Steven Gerrard will be fit to lead Liverpool into Champions League semi-final action against Chelsea tomorrow night.
    The Reds' skipper was forced to sit out Saturday's 2-0 victory at Fulham with a neck injury, but Benitez is keeping his fingers crossed his skipper will have recovered to play his part in establishing a first leg lead to take to Stamford Bridge.

"With the neck, you never know," said the Liverpool manager. "The neck is always dangerous so you need to wait.

"I think he was a little bit better on Saturday. We'll wait. We had similar problems with Reina and Finnan and they needed time. So we will see.

"The other day, he wanted to play but he was only able to look to the right, so I told him he could play as a left winger! We'll see if he can turn his head round and look the other way now.

"We will talk together, with the doctor. The player will say he wants to play, but there's an easy way of finding out whether he's fit. I will come up and tap him on the left shoulder and if he turns to face me without any pain, we will know he can play."

:pac:

Rafa is on form with the funnies at the moment. Shankly-esque quotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Seen that on the official site earlier :D

Along with the Sami one from the weekend about the 3rd goal he is on form lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's loosing it! :pac:

As for the game, it time to get into the spirit of things so may I wish Yossi an appalling game of such comical ineptitude that he air kicks a penalty.

That should do it.

Miek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

:(

Well done Liverpool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Poor kid, very sad altogether. Thanks for the link.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This is the thread over on RAWK where it all started:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=217575.0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sad story :(

hope the boys can do it on the pitch for this lad. i know he'll be in my thoughts

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

it's hard to read isn't it? such a heartbreaking story.

At very least it's great to see something he loves to very much try to give something back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

"The other day, he wanted to play but he was only able to look to the right, so I told him he could play as a left winger! We'll see if he can turn his head round and look the other way now.

Yeah that Stevie Zoolander one had me cracking up. I'd love to see his deadpan Spanish delivery too:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

"We will talk together, with the doctor. The player will say he wants to play, but there's an easy way of finding out whether he's fit. I will come up and tap him on the left shoulder and if he turns to face me without any pain, we will know he can play."

:pac:

Indeed, another one from BBC Sport:
    He's fit for the game. Maybe after he's scored the winning goal in the semi-final, maybe he will be worth more.

He's really rising to the occassion, spicing up the press conferences. Maybe he's more confident of his English now - he always comes across as very eloquent and witty in any spanish interviews I've ever seen by him. Keep it up.

Rafa is the closest thing we've had to Shankley since, well .... Shankley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

God i love sarcasm :D
    - i was being serious there before someone asks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bit harsh on Paisley there Mr. Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he meant for wit :D

different characters altogether PHB.

Paisley worked under Shankley and didnt even want the job originally. I wasnt talking about success wise, more philosophy wise and character wise.

Paisley wasn't a man to talk to the press. Sure he was forced onto the pitch during his last game in charge. If it were up to him he woulda just bowed out quietly. Shanks and Rafa (recently) seem to like having a bit of a laugh in talking to the press.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Lads, I want your opinions on Rafa's tactics of saying one of your key players is a doubt before every major European game only for that player to miraculously pull through on the Monday.

Do ye think its genuine or is it Rafa's tricksieness wanting ye to go in as underdogs?

I think Stevie is genuinely a doubt but will play if hes anything above 70%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have never noticed him doing it before tbh..

Lads, I want your opinions on Rafa's tactics of saying one of your key players is a doubt before every major European game only for that player to miraculously pull through on the Monday.

Do ye think its genuine or is it Rafa's tricksieness wanting ye to go in as underdogs?

He has not done this. I think it is you making it up. Could I see some evidence of him saying that before EVERY major european game. Links would be nice.

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

SG is probably a slight concern, but Rafa is playing the media, if all the questions are around SG being fit it takes away from the board problem.

He has not done this. I think it is you making it up. Could I see some evidence of him saying that before EVERY major european game. Links would be nice.

Ta
    Torres for the last game was a doubt and then played and now gerrard for this game was a doubt and will play.

If you need links still I'll get them.

When was Torres a doubt for Arsenal?

Torres for the last game was a doubt and then played and now gerrard for this game was a doubt and will play.

If you need links still I'll get them.

Well that is two now to go through EVERY as you suggested. And TBH I cannot remember Torres being a doubt for the game but if you say so I will take your word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Shankly

not

Shankley

Was going to say something reactor but I know that people already think I am too pedantic :)

Relax - I'm not on a wind up here. Fair enough not every game but arguably your two biggest games in the competition against domestic oponents have seen your star striker and midfielder rated a doubt and then passed fit.

Torres was ruled doubtful for the derby and the subsequent arsenal 1st leg. And now gerrard the same for the Chelsea 1st leg. Perhaps not a trend yet, but certainly a coincidence.

Anyways - I'm not in here trying to ruffle feathers - my original question was in relation to whether Rafa is doing this and perhaps favours the under-dog status?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I would think that a childish way to behave. But I haven't noticed Rafa doing it before. In fairness, he masterminded the 2005 campaign with a highly depleted squad, which was poor enough even at full strength. Very clever man. Rafa doesn't do mind games, but if he did...

Surely we are underdogs anyway - Chelsea have the best players in England. They are still in contention for the league despite all the upheavals earlier in the season while we were in a distant battle for 4th.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Chelsea have the best players in England. They are still in contention for the league despite all the upheavals earlier in the season while we were in a distant battle for 4th.

What have you done???? Cans open...worms everywhere

Relax - I'm not on a wind up here. Fair enough not every game but arguably your two biggest games in the competition against domestic oponents have seen your star striker and midfielder rated a doubt and then passed fit.

Torres was ruled doubtful for the derby and the subsequent arsenal 1st leg. And now gerrard the same for the Chelsea 1st leg. Perhaps not a trend yet, but certainly a coincidence.

Anyways - I'm not in here trying to ruffle feathers - my original question was in relation to whether Rafa is doing this and perhaps favours the under-dog status?

Was Torres not taken off injured in the Spannish international the preceded the previous round?

In fairness to T4F, you did sort of imply that it is something that Rafa regularly does when the truth is that he rarely every does it, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Lads, I've got some serious butterflies in my stomach here!!
    I can't wait until kick off.

I'm worried about Stevie G and Jamie being booked and missing the return leg.

Rumour has it that Hicks and DIC will be at the game tomorrow. I'd wish they'd stay away and leave all the business talk until the season ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Melion wrote: »
    What have you done???? Cans open...worms everywhere

Not really. I think any sane Liverpool fan (or any other for that matter) would admit that Chelsea have the best squad in England.

Tusky wrote: »
    Not really. I think any sane Liverpool fan (or any other for that matter) would admit that Chelsea have the best squad in England.

Agreed.. Player for player, they really do have the best squad in the PL and one of the best in the world.. Shame half of them have forgot how to play football, become lazy money grabbing bastards and what not..

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »

Ill gladly admit it, dont think United fans will though

Yes he likes underdog status (and after his time at valencia thats understandable). Sadly I've not seen quite enough "Chelsea will win this tie" type comments in the media so far.

Mike.

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett has invited senior officials from Dubai International Capital to be his guests at Anfield on Tuesday for the Champions League semi-final showdown with Chelsea.

Although Gillett himself will not be able to attend the match because of illness, his party - including son Foster, a fellow director - will be there in force to welcome DIC's representatives.

It is a remarkable move by Gillett - who has wanted to sell his 50 per cent stake in the club to DIC for several months - and comes just five days after his estranged partner Tom Hicks gave a TV interview outlining his own plans for the future of the club.

But significantly, after Hicks had made it clear he still intended to buy out Gillett, Colorado-based Gillett announced that he had no intention of ever selling his stake to Hicks.

It is believed that DIC's chief negotiator Amanda Staveley will be among Gillett's party, along with Liverpool fan and DIC chief executive Samir Al-Ansari.

Hicks to attend

Hicks could also be there, although significantly his spokesmen in the UK have been unable to confirm the Dallas billionaire's movements.

Hicks had made it clear at the weekend that he intended to be at Anfield for the first leg of the Champions League semi-final - but there are now doubts that he would want to be in the same directors box as DIC.

DIC have been trying to buy the club for 18 months, having been beaten at the post by Hicks and Gillett just over a year ago.

They seemed to have tied up a deal at the turn of the year, only for Hicks to send a representative to Dubai for talks before pulling the plug on the possible sale.

Now Gillett, at least, seems to be making a bold statement of intent. It is clear he wants to sell and that DIC want to buy.

The problem over Hicks' alleged veto of any Gillett sale is likely to be challenged in court before the summer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3457141,00.html

Could this be a turning point with the yanks?? Might DIC get the full club this summer??

Holy Crap Sky won't know where to point thier cameras. Is the VIP area big enough to accomodate all the egoes and money? Will Hicks smell the cash and change his mind?

Tune in and find out in the next episode of Scouse Soap.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is excellent news imo. The Sheik seemed to have been turning his attentions towards Roma, so this seems to be a veritable 'come and get me' plea from Gilette. The veto runs out fairly soon, so maybe this is a sign that Gilette is happy just to accept their offer and hand over his 50%. With Moores and Parry still on the board as well as DIC's money, they would have the edge over Hicks and hopefully we could see the club changing hands fairly quickly so at least we would have one owner rather then warring factions. Not to mention getting started on the stadium at last!

Not the kind of distraction we'd want before a big game, but at the same time im sure the players will have no problem focusing on Chelsea. I have a feeling we'll get a 1-0 leaving a very tight, nervy game at the bridge..

In theory probably easy enough to call the team, i'd bet on;

Reina, Carra, Skrtel, Hyypia, Aurelio, Masch, Alonso, Gerrard, Kuyt, Babel, Torres. As has been the case in our last few big games.

With Rafa though, you can never tell...we could also see a 4-4-2 with Crouchey coming in since his scoring continued - who knows!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement