Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

jonny24ie wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3457141,00.html

Could this be a turning point with the yanks?? Might DIC get the full club this summer??

And will batman reach the oil refinery before it explodes.

Seriously all we're missing is 'Blams' and 'Zappos'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to see him change the usual starting 11 (!), maybe Riise on the left and Babel on the bench to be sprung in the last 20.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ill be rooting for ye tomorrow lads. It is interesting to note if you do win the CL, you might face every English club, dont think anyone can disagree with ye deserving the CL if that happens. :D

Well I'll be cheering on Barca trust me. We'll never Utd in the final! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mike65 wrote: »
    Sadly I've not seen quite enough "Chelsea will win this tie" type comments in the media so far.
    Are you really that surprised at that? Liverpool may be sh1te in the PL but they definitely have CL pedigree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think we could deffo beat UTD in the final. Neutral grounds, big game that alot of UTD's younsters wouldn't be used too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I personally couldnt take a Utd Liverpool final, the thought of being beaten by them and seeing Rio and Ronnie get their hands on the CL after beating Liverpool outweighs us winning it again imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I personally couldnt take a Utd Liverpool final, the thought of being beaten by them and seeing Rio and Ronnie get their hands on the CL after beating Liverpool outweighs us winning it again imo

Ditto, the risk is too great :)
    Then again, I think we'd be more likely to beat Liverpool than Chelsea, so its a toughie :)

I don't think anyone could doubt that Chelsea have the biggest squad in the country, with the highest amount of quality players, but the best squad isn't something I'd agree with. They are weak in the RB position and in the wingers, with a huge amount of quality goalies, CBs, LBs, DMs, CMs, AMs, Strikers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lets not get into the Liverpool - United final thing again. Or at least not until it happens.

Remember, we all thought we would get it last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

It would be great craic. Also it would put a stop to much of the pettiness as the losers of this one would keep shtum for a long time:p

As a Pool fan I'd much rather Pool v Utd final with Utd favourites than a Chelsea Barca final. For me getting to the final is a good enough achievement, and we're improving and although I'd be devastated if Utd beat us and I'd have to change my phone number and lose contact with some very good friends... at least we would be beaten by arguably the best team in Europe, so it wouldn't be as sick for me as it might be for a Utd fan if we beat them;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oobydooby wrote: »
    Also it would put a stop to much of the pettiness as the losers of this one would keep shtum for a long time:p
    Don't be silly, if it was a Utd./Pool final it would be decided by a dodgy refereeing decision or some such nonsense ensuring that no set of supporters would be able to claim true bragging rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i would hate to be a mod on this forum should we get a pool v utd final this place would be a nightmare

I think a forum for just the final would be needed with no mods. Just let everyone go mental at each other.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't be silly, if it was a Utd./Pool final it would be decided by a dodgy refereeing decision or some such nonsense ensuring that no set of supporters would be able to claim true bragging rights.

Believe me, I can't imagine any circumstances where I'd forego bragging rights in the event of a Liverpool victory.

(*the horrors of 85 aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Melion wrote: »
    I think a forum for just the final would be needed with no mods. Just let everyone go mental at each other.

It's called thunderdome.

There must be some funny juice in the Anfield water these days. :D
    Benítez's methods are questioned more than those of any manager in the history of English football. Of course, visionaries in life –– be it in sport, art, music or politics –– tend to be more appreciated retrospectively, when their ideas have proven inspired and their influence can be traced. Vincent Van Gogh, Charles Darwin, Plato and Neil Warnock were all seen as crackpots. (Okay, so some don't exactly elevate themselves.)

A little bit OTT perhaps, but a good article, happy reading:
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG159641080421-1128.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's kinda weird to argue that Liverpool aren't a defensive team then admit they are a defensive team, but the point about rotation is well noted, people should realise the problem isn't that Rafa rotates, it's that he rotates poorly at the wrong times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote: »
    It's kinda weird to argue that Liverpool aren't a defensive team then admit they are a defensive team, but the point about rotation is well noted, people should realise the problem isn't that Rafa rotates, it's that he rotates poorly at the wrong times.

He doesn't rotate poorly at the wrong time. He does it with a squad that isn't as strong as he would like but still does it regardless as he knows it needs to be done.

He has two choices.

Use the same 11 every match in the CL and PL. Likely be in contention come Feb and look like we are having a good CL campaign.. Then burn out by April, get knocked out of the CL in the quarter finals and maybe finish 2nd in the league. You do so just to keep the cynics happy and it sooms become apparent that you need to use the full squad to compete on multiple fronts. Sign more players.

Rotate across a squad of 24 players with 16 that you are very happy with and 8 players that you think could be improved upon. You do this realising that you could drop points over the course of a season but firmly believe that rotating is a requirement to win the league and compete in the CL. You also know that the squad or the core of players that you have along term plans for arsent good enough to win the league. It is also getting the 16 players that you have long term plans for used to rotation while gradually adding the quality that you feel is missig.

I agree with jesus_that's_gre, I think Benitez is very scientific in his squad rotations. He's a real chessplayer, thinking ahead all the time too. For instance, there's a strong chance that Lucas will be thrown into a big CL match with SG being suspended. And he's bedded Lucas in somewhat in case that happens.

Our squad simply isn't as good man for man as Chelsea or Barcelona or Manchester United. Doesn't matter so much in these European games but over a league season it does matter and this is reflected in the table.

Also I think Tomkins was unkind to Arsenal. They were a few unlucky decisions away from a fantastic season. Give them a young Roy Keane (or even Viera) and they'd have kept the chin up for longer too IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0422/valencia.html

With Koeman gone, anyone think Rafa will take a chance to 'raid' Valencia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

From TB today - Rafinha is not wanted but Barry is an option.
    Meanwhile, despite speculation, Liverpool have not made any offers for either Aston Villa’s Gareth Barry or Schalke right back Rafinha.

The Reds do have an interest in Barry who could be available in the summer but Rafinha does not feature on Rafa Benitez’s hit list.

Barry only makes any sense if Alonso is being shipped out.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, the build-up has begun for what will be a pivotal game for Liverpool this season.

There's always plenty of discussion over the advantages and disadvantages of playing the 1st leg at home or otherwise. But its small differences really and doesnt really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Liverpool know that a goal tonight is needed. Indeed: 2-0 is better than 1-0 and is better than 0-0. The only slight advantage perhaps at playing the 2nd leg at home is when it goes to penalties. That may affect some players concentration and their legs may go to jelly. But that's if it goes to penalties and then its only a but, as home players can be equally affected by penalty pressure.

Yes, Chelsea will line up defensively and look to their fast men (SWP) for attacks on the break. Liverpool will need to be careful at the back. It could be a 0-0 of course but I would expect a goal at some stage tonight. One thing about Liverpool, they do need to be very very careful if they go 1-0 up. Players tend to lose concentration, and giving a goal away at home could determine the tie.

> I suspect both managers would take a 0-0 now.

I dont think so. I dont think Rafa would take that at all. Its hard to rely on an away goal to go through with a 1-1 or something. Rafa will, I think, be aiming for a 1-0 or a 2-0. Chelsea will be looking to exploit dead ball situations, with Reina's (and Liverpools) dodgy handling of crosses and they will be getting the likes of Terry, Carvalho and Drogba in the box.

anything could happen really ..... Liverpool' mindset will be good though. Chelsea are still 'hurting' from their previous losses. Liverpool are in a way Chelsea's bogie team, so lets exploit that to the full, take them on tonight with energy and get the one or 2 goals. I think 2-0 would leave us with one foot in gthe final, although everyone knows that it would still be only half-time.

Meanwhile, there will be a small bit of a side-show in the ownership battle as to who turns up in the directors box. Gillet's son will be there, he is apparently ill. DIC will be Gillet's guests. Parry and Moores, who are side by side at all Liverpools matches, will be there. Hicks said he would be there, but may not show. He may send a representative.

But none of the players or Rafa will be looking up at the directors box. They have a job to do and are focussed.

8 hrs and 45 mins to go .....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cant believe the match is tonight! Very nervous about it now really, not as bad as i'll be next week im sure, but still, so much hinges on us getting the win, or at worst a draw. Wouldn't fancy needing to win at the bridge. I too feel that Liverpool will burst out of the traps and do their level best to get an early goal. From here we can go for the second on the break. That should be the gameplan, but Chelsea's defence are no mugs..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He doesn't rotate poorly at the wrong time. He does it with a squad that isn't as strong as he would like but still does it regardless as he knows it needs to be done.

He has two choices.

Use the same 11 every match in the CL and PL. Likely be in contention come Feb and look like we are having a good CL campaign.. Then burn out by April, get knocked out of the CL in the quarter finals and maybe finish 2nd in the league. You do so just to keep the cynics happy and it sooms become apparent that you need to use the full squad to compete on multiple fronts. Sign more players.

Rotate across a squad of 24 players with 16 that you are very happy with and 8 players that you think could be improved upon. You do this realising that you could drop points over the course of a season but firmly believe that rotating is a requirement to win the league and compete in the CL. You also know that the squad or the core of players that you have along term plans for arsent good enough to win the league. It is also getting the 16 players that you have long term plans for used to rotation while gradually adding the quality that you feel is missig.

Quality quality post.
    +1

Getting nervous now but nothing compared to what i will be next wednesday.

I do think we'll win by 2 goals tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3458803,00.html

Sorry if its been posted here already, was just thinking when i read it, wouldnt it be better for you guys if both your owners just STFU and stopped their PR battle until the season is over???

They are like 2 kids at this stage but what more can you expect from Americans. Thats how they do business so i cant say im surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kryogen wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3458803,00.html

Sorry if its been posted here already, was just thinking when i read it, wouldnt it be better for you guys if both your owners just STFU and stopped their PR battle until the season is over???

That would be awesome, but unfortunately they seem intent on playing this one out in public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bob Paisley Cup (The draw)

Group A
    A - Terry Conlon team
    B - JC23 team
    C - Zenden Zagreb
    D - YWNA Irish Reds
    E - Ladbrokes FC

AvB (P1) 10:30 - 10:50
    CvD (P5) 10:30 - 10:50
    BvE (P5) 10:55 - 11:15
    AvD (P1) 11:20 - 11:40
    EvC (P3) 11:20 - 11:40
    DvB (P1) 11:45 - 12:05
    EvA (P5) 11:50 - 12:10
    BvC (P2) 12:10 - 12:30
    DvE (P1) 12:35 - 12:55
    AvC (P2) 12:35 - 12:55

Group B
    A - Rafa's Rejects
    B - Sons Of Shankly
    C - Gerrards Brylcream (mod team)
    D - Darren & Shay team
    E - Kopirish team

AvB (P2) 10:30 - 10:50
    CvD (P4) 10:30 - 10:50
    BvE (P2) 10:55 - 11:15
    AvD (P2) 11:20 - 11:40
    EvC (P5) 11:20 - 11:40
    DvB (P2) 11:45 - 12:05
    EvA (P1) 12:10 - 12:30
    BvC (P5) 12:10 - 12:30
    DvE (P3) 12:35 - 12:55
    AvC (P4) 12:35 - 12:55

Group C
    A - Boards.ie team
    B - Homer1 team
    C - The Urchins
    D - Stamullenred team#

AvB (P3) 10:30 - 10:50
    CvD (P3) 10:55 - 11:15
    BvC (P4) 11:20 - 11:40
    DvA (P3) 11:45 - 12:05
    AvC (P3) 12:10 - 12:30
    BvD (P4) 12:10 - 12:30

Group D
    A - Kelly Jones team
    B - Cakes N Jelly team
    C - Sporting Club ISE
    D - James team aka Tommy Maschers

AvB (P1) 10:55 - 11:15
    CvD (P4) 10:55 - 11:15
    BvC (P4) 11:45 - 12:05
    DvA (P1) 12:10 - 12:30
    AvC (P5) 12:35 - 12:55
    BvD (P4) 12:55 - 13:15

Quater Finals
    1A V 2B 13:20 - 13:40 (P1)
    1B V 2A 13:20 - 13:40 (P2)
    1C V 2D 13:20 - 13:40 (P3)
    1D V 2C 13:20 - 13:40 (P4)

Semi Finals
    Winner quater-final 1 v winner quater-final 3 -> 13:45 - 14:05 (P1)
    Winner quater-final 2 v Winner quater-final 4 -> 13:45 - 14:05 (P2)

Third Place Shoot-Out
    Loser semi-final 1 v Loser semi-final 2 -> 14:05 - 14:20 (P1)

Final
    Winner semi-final 1 v Winner semi-final 2 -> 14:20 - 14:40 (P1)

We are using the astro rules so...

Rules
    *5 Players with as many subs as you wish(as long as everyone is paid up)
    *Rolling subs - you can switch with team mates at any stage during the game you must let the ref know when you are doing it.
    *Keeper must stay in his area he cant come outside his Area
    *No sliding tackels
    *Ball must stay the same hight or lower as the hording around pitch(about chest hight)
    *must score inside the keepers area unless you shoot outside the area and it deflects in off a player from the other team it will be classed as a goal
    *one step when taking peno
    *One step away from ball when its a freekick
    *There is no offside rule

Drinks after the Tournament

By the way there will be a few beers after this in a pub close by thats why we want he whole thing finished up by 14:40 in time to head to the pub to watch the Brum game.All are welcome for the beers its going to be a cracking day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Group C
    A - Boards.ie team
    B - Homer1 team
    C - The Urchins
    D - Stamullenred team
    Bring. It. On.

:D:D

DesF wrote: »
    Bring. It. On.

:D:D

Your first bit of luck was to get a group of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Your first bit of luck was to get a group of 4.
    re-do the draw then, give us SIX teams, we'll beat 'em all.

DesF wrote: »
    re-do the draw then, give us SIX teams, we'll beat 'em all.

Fighting talk...I like it.Lets hope you can back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gerrard On Tonight:

"Our fans will give us a massive advantage again because there is not many places in the world that as intimidating an atmosphere as Anfield and have such an intimidating effect on visiting teams-and thats a fact. Stamford Bridge is a big stadium but its got nothing of the aura that Anfield has and it ceertainly wont intimidate us in the slightest during the second leg".

well in stevie lad, especially like the FACT bit ;)

Just to remind everyone of how good this lad is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aodfpOvyuxw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nervous for the match tonight, apparently Drogba is a doubt with his knee so Anelka will prolly start. I think we should leave Babel on the bench and have him come on running against a tired Ferreira.

Who should start on the left if Babel is on the bench? Not too sure about Yossi out there which only leaves JAR who definitely isnt good enough for that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

gerrard had a stormer there against arsenal?! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

quite nervous now at this stage.

id like to see yossi play on the left, his technique is better then babels and hes better with the ball then riise. babel should deffo be a sub tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Gerrard On Tonight:

"Our fans will give us a massive advantage again because there is not many places in the world that as intimidating an atmosphere as Anfield and have such an intimidating effect on visiting teams-and thats a fact. Stamford Bridge is a big stadium but its got nothing of the aura that Anfield has and it ceertainly wont intimidate us in the slightest during the second leg".

well in stevie lad, especially like the FACT bit ;)

Except when United are in town of course. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Melion wrote: »
    Who should start on the left if Babel is on the bench? Not too sure about Yossi out there which only leaves JAR who definitely isnt good enough for that position.

I would start with this.

Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt

Torres

Kuyt has played on the left before and done fine. Babel has never had an affect on an important game when he has started. I have never seen him start a game and play well for the 90 minutes.

He has been so much more effective coming off the bench.
    Jazzy wrote: »

id like to see yossi play on the left, his technique is better then babels and hes better with the ball then riise. babel should deffo be a sub tho.

I like yossi and think he was a decent buy BUT he is so much more effective against lesser teams. He very rarely does anything against top sides with good defenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Tusky wrote: »

I like yossi and think he was a decent buy BUT he is so much more effective against lesser teams. He very rarely does anything against top sides with good defenses.

to be fair he hasnt had much of a chance.
    i would start babel,start our strongest 11 that is babel gerrard and kuyt behind nando.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Archimedes wrote: »
    Except when United are in town of course. ;)

Is there a point to your post or did you just come in here to be a ****?

Love your sig too by the way, Liverpool hangups seem to be a common trait among your lot , eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

spockety wrote: »

Love your sig too by the way, Liverpool hangups seem to be a common trait among your lot , eh?

Tetchy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

spockety wrote: »

well when we beat utd at home then we can say its a fortress against everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Also Utd were the better side when Shanks took over Liverpool. It's a testament to Shanks how he built LFC to be better than Utd.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

astrofool wrote: »
    Tetchy.

nah not tetchy, its the same stuff every new topic that comes up in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'm not nervous about tonights game. JT and Lamps are though! ;-)

Here are the latest scoreline odds from PP:

Liverpool 1 - 0 9 - 2 Draw 0 - 0 11 - 2 Chelsea 1 - 0 13 - 2
    Liverpool 2 - 0 17 - 2 Draw 1 - 1 9 - 2 Chelsea 2 - 0 14 - 1
    Liverpool 2 - 1 8 - 1 Draw 2 - 2 16 - 1 Chelsea 2 - 1 11 - 1
    Liverpool 3 - 0 20 - 1 Draw 3 - 3 125 - 1 Chelsea 3 - 0 50 - 1
    Draw 4 - 4 500 - 1

etc

Liverpool winning 1-0 is the most likely, although 1-1 is also 9-2 which is not a good score for Liverpool. Will PP be wrong? He seldom is, but sure there's a first time for everything.

Bring it on ....

Redspider

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement