Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool were very very unlucky. Chelsea didnt deserve a draw out of that game let alone an advantage of an away goal. Makelele, Lampard, Ballack, Terry, Cech and to a certain degree Drogba were very poor. Liverpool bossed most of the game...and even though there goal was slightly on the lucky side, how unfortunate can you get but an own goal by the substitute deep into injury time. Football is a funny oul game.

unlucky Pool, best of luck but cant see beyond the doged Chelsea now

btw Alonso was not back to his great self tonight lets be fair now

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i'm not reading a single post here,
    i didn't listen to a single post game piece of analysis,
    we deserved to win,
    and we will end chelsea's unbeaten streak in the bridge,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

oobydooby wrote: »
    Dunno now if I'd like to see MU hammer Chelsea on Saturday to break their Stamford Bridge fortress. Chelsea will probably play a reserve team anyway.

Had we managed a win against blackburn, maybe but a win at the bridge puts them level with 2 games left. I can't see grant giving up on the league just yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mayordenis wrote: »
    we deserved to win,

BELIEVE!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Lads, this tie is far from over, OK liverpool really should be taking a 2-0 score to the bridge however it 1-1. I really cant believe some of you guys writing them off. FFS, this is the CL and everybody know that liverpool are possibly the most feared team in Europe.

I can see liverpool scoring next week and whether that will be enough, we will have to wait and see. Its all set up for a mouth watering tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool can rest players, Chelsea can't.

Mike.

No ye wont, We will on Saturday;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

the pool should have won but i'm glad they didn't, i'm sick of hearing all this talk about liverpool and anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

AFAIK, Chelsea amazing home record is in the league only, it doesnt apply to cups where they have lost recentlyish.

Liverpool can rest players, the question is will Chelsea? I think we all know which one the owner favours, and I think while we won't see a weak team, we'll see some big names missing. Can't see Lampard playing for example.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

When you walk through the storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark
    At the end of the storm
    There's a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
    Walk on, through the rain
    Though your dreams be tossed and blown
    Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Unearthly wrote: »
    I have a tenner on a 2-0 Liverpool win

I think it's a banker tbh
    Good call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

we deserved to win,

Walter Mitty,is it you?

PHB wrote: »
    AFAIK, Chelsea amazing home record is in the league only, it doesnt apply to cups where they have lost recentlyish.

Liverpool can rest players, the question is will Chelsea? I think we all know which one the owner favours, and I think while we won't see a weak team, we'll see some big names missing. Can't see Lampard playing for example.

I think they lost to Charlton on penalties in the league cup last season. Thats their only blip afaik...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Tusky wrote: »
    Oh come on. I'm insanely disappointed and we have made things incredibly hard for ourselves but cop on.

Positives : Alonso back to his great self, Skrtel looks a fantastic player, no cards for Carra or Gerrard, we can rest players at weekend while Chelsea cant.

Hammer on the head tusky.well said 100% behind the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

PHB wrote: »

Yeah you're right. Charlton:p, and some meaningless CL games too - Bayern Munich anyway.

Also a reserve team from Chelsea is still made up of some of the top 30/40 individuals in England.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Dub13 - save the chedder for the 2nd leg.

the pool should have won but i'm glad they didn't, i'm sick of hearing all this talk about liverpool and anfield

It was a draw...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

...on a sidenote Villa's reserves were today crowned Reserve champions (South) and will play Liverpool (Reserve Champs North) in a couple of weeks.

just wondering would this be viewable on LFC TV for anyone who has Setanta. dont they show all the Liverpool reserve games.

Dub13 - save the chedder for the 2nd leg.

Dub 13 stunning bit of work there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Gutted. We were by far the better team. Really not looking forward to next week and I have a ticket for the game. But I am not giving up hope. There is still a chance that we can win and at least score an away goal but we will have to do it early on because if Chelski get settled I reckon the tie will be also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, it's 1-1. They have an away goal. That means you have to score. Is that such an unassailible task? Torres if he had his finishing boots on could have scored 2 tonight. This tie is far far far from over.

Anyway, it's all set up for a Liverpool win, with Gerrard and Carragher getting bookings and missing the final against United :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It was a draw...

your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

left a damn bitter taste in my mouth.
    heads up for next week tho, we can beat that chelski team. man utd - pool final is still on!

Trilla wrote: »
    your point?

My point was its still fortress Anfield. Not science by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Absolutely gutted tonight. Couldn't believe what I saw in the last 30 seconds, was just shellshocked until the scoreboard actually changed to 1-1. What was Riise playing at?! He had to go for it with Anelka behind him, but was that really the height to be heading the ball, when facing his own goal?! I got a bad feeling when Aurelio went off.

Was utterly unimpressed tonight with Chelsea, i thought they looked very very poor, Lamps was practically non existent and Drogba didn't look his usual self at all. Im not sure we'll catch them offering so little going forward again though. I think they'll score at the Bridge. Having said that, I think we will too. Could definately see a 1-1 and pens.

This tie isn't over, but Riise has definately made life much much harder for us.

• Advertisement

Think that was the first 4 mins extra time of the season..

Think that was the first 4 mins extra time of the season..

I assume you mean for liverpool yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Meh, not the end of the world. If we can't believe that we cann go to Stamford Bridge and beat them, we shouldn't dare be dreaming about going to Moscow and beating ManU or Barca.. A bit of perspective people.

One thing that you can take for certain is that there are major problems at Chelsea. Regardless of your opinion of Grant, that team just isn't performing to anywhere near the level it should be.

We were the better team tonight by a fair distance. Chelsea started the game looking for an early goal and then settled in for a nil nil draw after 25 mins. Having watched recently, they are defo they are defo there for the taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

It was a real sickner to concede like that at the end. Was thinking how id be able to just enjoy the match tomorrow night but now all I care about is next wednesday. I want it to be next wednesday already now. Why cant it be next wednesday yet?

Its going to be tough but we have to get an early goal in my oppinion. If we manage to score early the tie is firmly back in our hands....but if its the 60th minute and its 0-0 or 1-0 to chelsea I can see us not scoring.....damn it anyways 1-0 would of been a nice lead going into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Meh, not the end of the world. If we can't believe that we cann go to Stamford Bridge and beat them, we shouldn't dare be dreaming about going to Moscow and beating ManU or Barca.. A bit of perspective people.

Aye. Lotta stuff being thrown about here and the match thread, can't keep up!!!!
    Anywho, I was nervous about this game tonight, but we played well, had some chances that Cech saved. Reina didn't have much to do.
    Was gutted when Riise put into his own net and the fact it was the last kick[head] of the game makes it tougher.

After Chelsea's performance tonight, I feel more confident about the return leg.
    Skrtle defended very well tonight, and was impressed by Babel in the second half. Kuyt made that goal tonight and fair f*cks to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Good call!

One of the few times jynxing Liverpool in Europe has worked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

One of those things.

At least Gudjohnsen missed in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agh. So sick to be the better team for 94 minutes; be fully deserving of at least a one goal lead and them to snatch it right at the end.:(

I mean, it was a world class cross and Riise did his best. More than 50% of the time he clears it away. Unlucky all around.

I mean, I didn't think we would win the tie. The law of averages says we can't beat these guys over the course of two legs three times in a row. But then, if we had taken a 1 - 0 back there...

I'M A SAD PANDA IS WHAT I AM. :(

Kuyt is a ****ing hero. What a man. And Carragher. He was a man mountain tonight. Owned Drogba from start to finish. The nice guys lose sometimes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It was a draw...

I never said it wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Liverpool were unlucky, no question. However, Chelsea spurned a few good chances themselves, so a 1-1 isn't an entirely unfair reflection on the tie. Obviously the manner and timing of the goal was a real sucker punch, but it's not the end of the world.

It's half-time. Chelsea have a huge game at the weekend, whereas Rafa and the team can focus solely on preparing for the second leg. Next week we'll be playing against a Chelsea side who may still have one eye on the league, or may have just suffered a demoralising defeat - either way, they'll be distracted. Stamford Bridge isn't an easy place to go, but one goal can change the tie completely. In Gerrard and Torres, we have players who are capable of that little bit of magic.

We are the underdogs, and that suits us. And maybe beating them at Stamford Bridge would shut up those who still bleat on about 'phantom' goals and so on.

YNWA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Stunned.

Some very strange refereeing last night. Chelski were very poor with Cech looking a shade of his former self. If we can perform well at Stamford then we have every chance of progressing.

Kyutt was immense, my opinion has changed somewhat on him over the last number of games. Perhaps he's finally settling in. We were very strong across the back with Masch putting in another great performance.

Yet again I rue the fact that one of our own opted not to kick a ball with his weaker foot. No excuse for it at this level, if he [Riise] had cleared that ball with his right foot we would be going to Chelski with a 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

We are the underdogs, and that suits us. And maybe beating them at Stamford Bridge would shut up those who still bleat on about 'phantom' goals and so on.

YNWA.
    Not sure how big of underdogs we are considering our record in the competition, but the odds are stacked against us considering our record there, the away goal etc.
    The away goal was such a sucker punch how it came, I wont dwell on how much it annoyed me to see JAR come on, let alone the finish for the goal.
    We should have added another goal though, for once Torres looked human in front of goal, hopefully the referee keeps an eye on Terry and Carvahlo next week to make sure hes not kicked around too much. Gerards volley could have been so sweet :( but il settle for a Frank Lampard style 2 deflections on a shot stunner next week!

I assume Aurelio has groin tear and is out for rest of season? The thoughts of JAR trying to make up for scoring the OG next week by having even more shots than usual sends shivers up my spine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

gucci wrote: »
    I assume Aurelio has groin tear and is out for rest of season? The thoughts of JAR trying to make up for scoring the OG next week by having even more shots than usual sends shivers up my spine

He wont be at stamford bridge.
    Im booking flights now with an iron bar in my hand to make sure of it.
    I hate him almost as much as i did Traore!

Still was an excellent performance on the night.
    1-0 would have been fair.
    1-1 is not a disaster, Liverpool look a lot better on the attack than Chelsea.
    Hope to God Rafa actually goes for the win rather than being defensive and
    hoping to poach something.
    2 goals and Liverpool are basically through as i seriously doubt Chelsea
    are going to score 3.
    Heres hoping for an attacking mentality next weekend.
    Pity Torres didnt finish one of those 1v1s :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think everyone is stunned with the nature of the equaliser and given that chelsea were poor on the night,

however this is not an insurmountable task, stamford bridge isnt an intimidating atmosphere, yes chelsea boast a great record there but they have looked shaky recently

all we need is a goal and its game on again, i think they will play for nil - all

a reporter asked stevie g how difficult would it be as we have yet to score there in a CL semi final game

he replied - we havent played them with fernando torres in a cl semi final game there either :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool were unlucky, no question. However, Chelsea spurned a few good chances themselves, so a 1-1 isn't an entirely unfair reflection on the tie.

Obviously the manner and timing of the goal was a real sucker punch, but it's not the end of the world. It's half-time. Chelsea have a huge game at the weekend, whereas Rafa and the team can focus solely on preparing for the second leg. Next week we'll be playing against a Chelsea side who may still have one eye on the league, or may have just suffered a demoralising defeat - either way, they'll be distracted. We are the underdogs, and that suits us.

Well, I think a 1-1 is an unfair reflection. We had by far the most scoreable chances, and 2-0 would have been more fair of what went on than 1-0, and than 1-1. Chelsea got a major gift, no doubt about that. Even Liverpool bashers are admitting it.

But, it is now water under the bridge, we need to go on from here. I agree with your 2nd paragraph above. We are by no means out of this tie. It is advantage Chelsea but its not game over, and a lot can happen in 90 mins of football between these two teams. It will take a gargantuan effort, but its do or die for Liverpool, so we have nothing to lose now.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

on reflection i'm not overly worried, however it was incredible stupid, even if your bad leg is horrendous if you consentrate on striking the ball you wont have any trouble at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

however it was incredible stupid, even if your bad leg is horrendous if you consentrate on striking the ball you wont have any trouble at all.

Amen. Poor chap must be gutted, I was/am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Was absolutely stunned last night. Just so gutted at how they scored. I knew Riise was desperate to score but not that desperate:(

Pool were the better team. Started poorly but dominated as the game went on. Torres had an off night. But he is allowed one! Hopefully he'll produce some piece of magic next week. Kuyt deserves the plaudits he is receiving lately. Made and took his goal very well.

Chelsea got an emormous slice of luck tonight with the reffing aswell. Terry & Carvalho should have been booked early on for persistant fouling. Terry should have walked then when he received his yellow for the tackle on Mascherano. Drogba should have been sent off 15 times over for the amount of ridiculous dives he made. Seriously how do refs not book him? Liverpool should have had a peno when Cashley blatantly pushed Kuyt in the box aswell.

We were very unlucky on the night. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. But we are definately capable of scoring in the second leg if we preform the same as tonight.

yom 1 wrote: »
    Liverpool should have had a peno when Cashley blatantly pushed Kuyt in the box aswell.
    Once again it was one of those "if it was outside the box it would be a free" calls. Ridiculous for an international defender to do such a brainless act, but then again it was cashley. And then pretty much the next time the ball broke outside the box chelsea got a free for a push very similar. Techincally a penalty but when was the last time you seen one like that given?

on reflection i'm not overly worried, however it was incredible stupid, even if your bad leg is horrendous if you consentrate on striking the ball you wont have any trouble at all.

Vronin would have been the ideal man to be there....he would never have scored that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

An awfull lot of people on this thread writing us off after last night. I think we WILL do it. im actually more confident now than i was this time yesterday.
    a few points.
    1) we played well, benitez changed the tactics slightly in the 2nd half and it nearly paid off.
    2)chelsea didnt look like scoring, reina wasnt really tested all night.
    3) we created ALOT of clear chances, torres had 2, gerrard almost scored another wonder goal( he must be saving it for next week) i can see us scoring next week easier than they could.
    4) chelsea have a very tough game at the weekend where we can rest almost the entire first 11.

another point is terry's yellow could play a role. nobody would want to miss a CL final, but i think it will affect terry more than carra coz carra has already played in 2(it makes sense in my head)

YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

gucci wrote: »
    Techincally a penalty but when was the last time you seen one like that given?

Yeah true.

Btw did anyone see Mascherano when we had a free and 3 chelsea players stood around the ball blocking Arbeloa, I think, from taking it and he just burst it at them:D Love him:pac:

yom 1 wrote: »
    Yeah true.

Btw did anyone see Mascherano when we had a free and 3 chelsea players stood around the ball blocking Arbeloa, I think, from taking it and he just burst it at them:D Love him:pac:

Yeah and somehow it broke to Gerard (i think and we launched an attack from it) Kinda brainless but we got the luck from it. It could easily have ricocheted into Chelsea attack, although at that stage in the match the had noone bothering to give Drogba any sort of support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

To be fair to Riise it was an extremely difficult cross to deal with. Swing the right foot at it when it was at thigh-height could have had the exact same result. I though Giles was spot-on in analysis when he said Riise should have started from a deeper position and that way he would have had a better chance of directing it wide.
    But on the other side of that, I am really p1ssed off that it was a mistake that could have been avoided if Riise had spent the last how many years putting in some extra training on using the right peg.

I would have prefered to have Finnan going on at right back and Arbeloa switching sides cause Riise is so defensively poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah well. Having had a night to reflect I concluded it does'nt really matter.

Liverpool could not sit on a one goal lead at Stamford Bridge with any confidence, a goal would be needed just be sure.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement