Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^^^^

I agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

still feel sick :(:(

is fat frank delusional

"we deserved a draw "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea (1st leg, CL semi-final)

That was very unfortunate for us. We had several chances to take it to 2-0 on the night, and should have done, and indeed 2-0 would have been a fair reflection of our efforts (Liverpool had 14 attempts at goal to Chelsea's 7), but to gift an own goal at the very end like that, in the 95th minute (shouldnt the ref have technically blown at 94:00?) is very unfortuate indeed and hands Chelsea an advantage that they didnt deserve.

But these things happen in football, and now it will be a test of Liverpool's mettel in how they deal with it. The tie is not yet over, although the task is a large one. The key will be to score first in the away leg, although 1-1 would do so even going 1-0 down at The Bridge would also not be the end of the tie.

Rafa picked a good selection I thought in a 4-2-3-1 formation:

Reina
    Arbeloa - Carra - Skrtel - Aurelio
    Masch ---- Alonso
    Kuyt
    Gerrard ---- Babel -
    Torres

That gave enough attacking 'flair' with the full backs, and was safe with the two holding midfielders which matched Ballack and Lampard coming through.

Chelsea played a 4-1-4-1 formation:

Cech
    Ferreira - Carvalho - Terry - A.Cole
    Makelele
    J.Cole - Ballack - Lampard - Malouda
    Drogba

To a certain extent, both teams nullified each other. Liverpool had more of the chances in the first half. Kuyt was put through and should have scored. Torres was put through, took one extra touch too much perhaps and shot straight at Cech, again a chance that should have been a goal.

We all know about Kuyt's tackling and defending and hiw working hard capabilities, and it was from these effors that Liverpool's goal was created. He won the ball back off Lampard outside the box, Masch mis-kicked a pass/shot which looped into the box, but it was the fighting efforts of Kuyt which won him control of the ball and a close range shot which went under the advancing Cech. Not pretty but typical Kuyt.

It was a goal Liverpool deserved on the balance of play, and they deserved another one in the 2nd half. Liverpool had several scoring chances but failed to capitalise. Chelsea did come back into the game in the last 15 mins but seemed to be mis-firing in the final pass. Then, as the clock ticked past the 4 mins of added time, the unthinkable happened. A whipped in hopeful cross was woefully mis-judged by Riise and he dive headed the ball into his own net. It was a basic skill error, indeed any forward would have been happy with such a finish. Riise of course should have used his weaker right foot to clear. A simple side foot would have cleared the ball away more than adequately.

One factor which people may have missed in that goal was Reina's lack of movement and presence. We know and I've pointed it out enough times at this stage that Reina is poor on crosses. Indeed on several occasions during the match he was lapsing again, notably against Terry. For this og, the ball landed at the 5.5 yard mark in the centre of the goal. Reina was 1 yard out from the goal line and not creating any presence. He could have, and in my opinion should have, gone to meet this ball to get closer to it, to narrow the angle. But he was static and totally out of position and semi-asleep if you ask me. A good keeper could have stopped it if better positioned and closer to Riise, even if it was unexpected from Riise and mis-directed. A better keeper could even have claimed it. But this is Reina and this is a cross and the two do not mix. Yes, this goal was mainly Riise's fault, but with a decent goalie who is good at crosses, I think it could have been stopped.

But its water under the bridge now. All that the fans and the Liverpool players can do is lick our wounds after this unfortunate turn of events, pick ourselves up and think of the task ahead and to focus on doing it. It is possible. Granted, we cant be as confident as we were at the start of the 1st leg, or at half-time or indeed when the clock read 94 minutes and 00 seconds. Its a sucker punch.

Chelsea have an undeserved advantage, but this tie is not over ..... Liverpool can still go through, but it wont be easy. It may even take penalties.

Redspider

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Was absolutely gutted when the goal went in.. I was actually screaming "blow the f***ing whistle" just as the cross was delivered.. agh.

Anyway, as someone else has already said, even taking a 1-0 to Stamford Bridge we would still need to score there, as you have to assume that Chelsea will, and depending on a 2-2 aggregate for penalties isn't good enough.

So now the objective will be to get a goal at all costs, and if we can do that, where does the pressure lie, especially if it goes in with more than 30 minutes left in the match?
    Chelsea could end up rueing the fact that they only got 1 away goal..

Where is all the pressure if both Liverpool and Chelsea score at the Bridge.. 1-1 going into the last 20/30 minutes? Liverpool get one more and Chelsea are f****d, needing 2 to go through.. Chelsea get one more and Liverpool still only need one to go past them.

Believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

spockety wrote: »
    Anyway, as someone else has already said, even taking a 1-0 to Stamford Bridge we would still need to score there,
    History would suggest otherwise. I know you have to put a positive spin on things but do you really think Benitez would've set Liverpool up to go and try and score at Stamford Bridge? I would've imagined he would've been quite happy to go there and defend and hit Chelsea on the break.

These games are always tight and they are never set up for goal fests so Liverpool might've blown their chances by conceding so late. But having that, a goal at The Bridge is certainly not beyond them by any stretch. Last night's result sets it up for a cracking but tense affair next week.

• Advertisement

Anger, confusion, regret :(

Not how I wanted to feel on my B-Day. I cant see us beating Chelsea at the bridge but I hope im wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Anger, confusion, regret :(

Not how I wanted to feel on my B-Day. I cant see us beating Chelsea at the bridge but I hope im wrong!
    Happy Birthday!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

prendy wrote: »
    I think we WILL do it. im actually more confident now than i was this time yesterday.
    1) we played well, benitez changed the tactics slightly in the 2nd half and it nearly paid off.
    2)chelsea didnt look like scoring, reina wasnt really tested all night.
    3) we created ALOT of clear chances, torres had 2, gerrard almost scored another wonder goal( he must be saving it for next week) i can see us scoring next week easier than they could.
    4) chelsea have a very tough game at the weekend where we can rest almost the entire first 11.

I dont think we can be more confident. 1-0 would have been okay, 2-0 would have been my target and on the night was doable, but the undeserved 1-1 will give Chelsea a lot of added confidence. Yes, we deserved the win, but this was at Anfield and the next match is at Stamford Bridge. In theory players should not be affected by such factors but they are, any league table will show you that and it is even more the case in England. I think we will do well to get a 0-1 result there or a 1-1. Penalties may be required.

In relation to your points:

1) what tactics were changed? I thought we played more or less the same throughout.

2) Chelsea had a few chances, it wasnt one way traffic. 2-1 would not have been an unfair result either, imo. Reina was tested with some crosses though!

3) yes, Torres didnt finish as he can, and Gerrard didnt get his wonder goal and we are due one. He may or may not get one in the 2nd leg.

4) agreed .... that should help us.

ibh> To be fair to Riise it was an extremely difficult cross to deal with. Swing the right foot at it when it was at thigh-height could have had the exact same result. I though Giles was spot-on in analysis when he said Riise should have started from a deeper position and that way he would have had a better chance of directing it wide.

I dont think Riise's position was at fault. Indeed he got to the ball first and was unchallenged for it. He just chose the wrong option on a cross that was in-swinging. A diving header from a bouncing ball is hard to execute perfectly, and he needed a near perfect connection to clear it for a corner which is what he was aiming for. He only mis-directed it by 30 degrees or so, but costly. Of course he should have right-pegged it away. I think Reina could have done better on it as well and should have moved further forward.

But we can analyse this goal til the cows come home and it wont do us any good. All we can do is move on ....

Redspider

DesF wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!:)

Really though what was he doing!!? Ok I can kind of understand the whole bad foot thing but surely you'd try to welly it out of there. Like he msut of heard Drogba(?cant remember who it was?) behind him so why go for a diving header as he could of came across him. Just doesn't make sense!

I would never hate Riise for it as hes been a great servant for the club but WTF!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think everyone should ease up on the negativity a bit. Why is everyone having a go at Riise? It's not like he did it on purpose, sh!t happens.
    What gives me confidence is just reminding myself that Avram Grant is in charge of that lot. He hasn't a clue what he's doing.
    We were much the better team last night and should have won by more so there's no reason why we can't go down there and do the business. We just need to score and then it's game on. Saying that we haven't scored there in ages is pointless. So what if we haven't!! It's not like we're never gonna score there again. They hadn't scored at Anfield in Europe, but did last night (albeit via an o.g). I genuinely think we can do it next week and in fact i reckon we could score twice. Remember, Stamford Bridge in terms of atmosphere is laughable. Sure, they'll try to recreate Anfield and i'm sure they'll be waving their cute blue & white chequered flags and pretending their passionate, but that could all turn to boos just like the Fenerbache game if we get it right.
    What annoyed me so much last night was Drogba. He's a good player, but he's a joke. His antics of rolling around the place, pretending to be injured was a disgrace. But the end of the match was unbelievable. Going up to the away fans and holding the club crest out as if he cares. As if he'll be there next season. As if he hadn't started moaning as soon as Mourinho left saying that he wanted to leave. And then pointing towards his temple, telling the fans it's still on like he's some warrior or something after his cowardly antics.
    Everything about Chelsea is fake and we can still get through to the final, i really believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think everyone should ease up on the negativity a bit. Why is everyone having a go at Riise?

Cause he is **** maybe? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its all to play for still. Liverpool obviously HAVE to score, but we have 90 minutes to do it. I'm more pissed off in the manner of the equaliser. If Chelsea had made a well worked goal, then I would've been ok. But in truth Liverpool should have had two goals in the bag. Still, as some have said, Liverpool often do their best when they're up against it. Could've been a dangerous game trying to defend a 1-0 lead at the bridge.

Would like to see Crouch partner Torres next week. Cause some chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Even at 1-0 i still think Liverpool would need to score next week so it makes no difference.

I think Crouch will play next week alright.

I think everyone should ease up on the negativity a bit. Why is everyone having a go at Riise? It's not like he did it on purpose, sh!t happens.
    What gives me confidence is just reminding myself that Avram Grant is in charge of that lot. He hasn't a clue what he's doing.
    We were much the better team last night and should have won by more so there's no reason why we can't go down there and do the business. We just need to score and then it's game on. Saying that we haven't scored there in ages is pointless. So what if we haven't!! It's not like we're never gonna score there again. They hadn't scored at Anfield in Europe, but did last night (albeit via an o.g). I genuinely think we can do it next week and in fact i reckon we could score twice. Remember, Stamford Bridge in terms of atmosphere is laughable. Sure, they'll try to recreate Anfield and i'm sure they'll be waving their cute blue & white chequered flags and pretending their passionate, but that could all turn to boos just like the Fenerbache game if we get it right.
    What annoyed me so much last night was Drogba. He's a good player, but he's a joke. His antics of rolling around the place, pretending to be injured was a disgrace. But the end of the match was unbelievable. Going up to the away fans and holding the club crest out as if he cares. As if he'll be there next season. As if he hadn't started moaning as soon as Mourinho left saying that he wanted to leave. And then pointing towards his temple, telling the fans it's still on like he's some warrior or something after his cowardly antics.
    Everything about Chelsea is fake and we can still get through to the final, i really believe that.

+ 1

Well said mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey9
    I think everyone should ease up on the negativity a bit. Why is everyone having a go at Riise?

Cause he is **** maybe?

ah here its not like he meant it, just a pity he has no right foot whatsoever.

any update on the Aurelio injury?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

monkey9 wrote:
    Stamford Bridge in terms of atmosphere is laughable. Sure, they'll try to recreate Anfield and i'm sure they'll be waving their cute blue & white chequered flags and pretending their passionate

What's all this talk about atmosphere. Ye had it in abundance and drew 1-1.
    Atmosphere doesn't matter a shíte for Chelsea when they have the best home record going.
    I'm not saying you wont do it but having the most atmosphere in Anfield doesn't make you score away from home - which is what ye need to do atmosphere or not.

Plus "cute blue and white flags"? But your red flags are double hard bastard flags? Just because you think your fans are more passionate (and I'm sure there's plenty of life-long chelsea supporters who disagree) doesn't mean Chelsea don't deserve to be where they are - they've gone just as far as you in this tournament with a similar amount of luck as ye lot. Being more passionate or less "fake" doesn't entitle you to a place in the final.

And trust me they wont try to recreate Anfield, they'd rather recreate Stamford Bridge - a fortress.

Eskimo; i believe that point he was making was that at Stamford Bridge, Roman likes to hand out little plastic flags in an effort to make some sort of intimidating atmosphere-the effect is actually the opposite, it is laughable.

Whereas on the Kop and around anfield, people spend weeks making massive banners, no handouts from the owner in order to try and create an atmosphere. Atmosphere is created naturally.

I actually think the crowd at Stamford Bridge could have a bad effect on Chelsea, for starters, its like a library so our away fans will be easily heard, and second of all, if they were to go a goal down, i could see the Chelsea fans turning on the team and manager as they have done in their last few home games.

What's all this talk about atmosphere. Ye had it in abundance and drew 1-1.
    Atmosphere doesn't matter a shíte for Chelsea when they have the best home record going.
    I'm not saying you wont do it but having the most atmosphere in Anfield doesn't make you score away from home - which is what ye need to do atmosphere or not.

Plus "cute blue and white flags"? But your red flags are double hard bastard flags? Just because you think your fans are more passionate (and I'm sure there's plenty of life-long chelsea supporters who disagree) doesn't mean Chelsea don't deserve to be where they are - they've gone just as far as you in this tournament with a similar amount of luck as ye lot. Being more passionate or less "fake" doesn't entitle you to a place in the final.

And trust me they wont try to recreate Anfield, they'd rather recreate Stamford Bridge - a fortress.

First of all, they WILL try to creat an atmosphere. After what happened in 2005, they were given flags last year for the semi final and it was hilarious. Stamford Bridge is a dull stadium and i think it's funny when they try to re-create the Kop.
    Also, i'm not saying atmosphere gets you through to the next round or it entitles you to a place in the final. What does is away goals which i think we will get next week. My point on the amosphere was just an observation on what happened last year and what will happen next week. I never said anything about it entitling Liverpool or Chelsea to be in the final

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Eskimo; i believe that point he was making was that at Stamford Bridge, Roman likes to hand out little plastic flags in an effort to make some sort of intimidating atmosphere-the effect is actually the opposite, it is laughable.

Whereas on the Kop and around anfield, people spend weeks making massive banners, no handouts from the owner in order to try and create an atmosphere. Atmosphere is created naturally.

I actually think the crowd at Stamford Bridge could have a bad effect on Chelsea, for starters, its like a library so our away fans will be easily heard, and second of all, if they were to go a goal down, i could see the Chelsea fans turning on the team and manager as they have done in their last few home games.

This is true. Chelseas fans have been very fickle this year and if Liverpool can frustrate them early then the KGB Arena could become a negative source of energy for Chelsea. Liverpool need to score early in order to do this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Atmosphere imo only affects the home team. I don't think Ballack or Makelele were intimated, these guys are model pros, but I do think Gerrard and Carragher were lifted.
    As such, I don't think atmosphere will be that important in Chelsea.

Actually PHB, a lot of players who have played in Anfield have admitted that the atmosphere in Anfield on European nights gets to em. Incl-Chelseas players after 2005.

KGB Arena.....i like it

Well, i think atmosphere can be important and play a factor next week in the sense that when the fans start waving their blue&white flags at the start and singing whatever sh!te they sing, Chelsea players will feel lifted. But if Liverpool do well, get a goal or whatever and the fans become frustrated, they will turn on the players like they have done a lot this season. They'll tell Avram he doesn't know what he's doing and professional or not, this does affect players

"We haven't played there with Fernando Torres,"

^Stevie on the away leg!
    nice to see the confidence is high.

I obviosuly have no issue with Utd fans posting in here (especially since I am the third highest poster in the Utd thread ;)) but i do find it funny how the volume of posts increases after all the disappointing Liverpool results, strange that?! anyone would think they increased as they came in to rub it in as opposed to make decent contributions to the thread. Just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

We were much the better team last night and should have won by more so there's no reason why we can't go down there and do the business. We just need to score and then it's game on.
    I actually thought Grants tactics weren't bad last night, in first half everytime the reds had the ball Lampard, Makelele and Ballack were a blanket infront of the back 4, trying to cut out any through ball for Torres. And the goal came from a free kick that they were not organised for (actually i think Grant called Cashley over to discuss something with him and he was relaying that to few of the others!)
    Where he did get it wrong imo was leaving Drogba so isolated for so long. I know hes a big cheating moaner, but he had little option when such poor ball was just being aimlessly pumped up to him. But thats because they were under pressure and were still trying to play deep.
    When he brought in Kalou it gave them better link between the midfield and the front.

Ah its easy on paper all this tactic talk, i really havent a notion.
    Pity Babel only done his usual 10mins play, he was destroying Ferraria for awhile when he ran straight at him, then he started drifting in field again.

I obviosuly have no issue with Utd fans posting in here (especially since I am the third highest poster in the Utd thread ;)) but i do find it funny how the volume of posts increases after all the disappointing Liverpool results, strange that?! anyone would think they increased as they came in to rub it in as opposed to make decent contributions to the thread. Just an observation.

lol :D maybe we'll all go over there at about 10 tonight to congradulate Henry on a more than impressive hattrick!

I'm sure eze will have beaten us to it :)

Aye, getting a bit sick of it.. they come in under the guise of having something to contribute, but it's patently obvious that no matter what way they say things in order to keep up that appearance, they are having a dig.

And if I hear stuff like "you have to beat your Wigan's and your Portsmouth's to win the league" one more time, I think I'll go potty. For the record Liverpool have 65 points this season against non top 4 opposition.. United have 68.

• Advertisement

I really think our season would have been so different if we hadnt have been missing our first choice centre half all year :( ah well.

I really think our season would have been so different if we hadnt have been missing our first choice centre half all year :( ah well.
    Do you reckon Agger and Skertal will be the first choice pairing next season with everyone fit? Carragher moving out to RB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Liverpool have an excellent defensive record though, in the league they've conceded less than Arsenal and only two less than Chelsea...

Oh please, there is an influx of all fans after Liverpool match, not just united and it normally happens after a major result - good or bad for the pool.

Its champions league we're talking about here and the winner of your tie will face us if we manage to beat Barca. So excuse us if we come to a public forum to discuss what has very much to do with United's season.

All these thread-fan ownership claims are really getting old. They're called threads, not territories.

Also check my first post after the match last night to see my feelings on the events and my motives for posting on the liverpool DISCUSSION thread. When they call it the Liverpool WORSHIP thread I'll take my views elsewhere.

Liverpool have scored in every away match in the Champions League this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement

I don't see how it will be different for ye next week.

1 goal sees chelsea having to win the match to avoid penalties. 2-2 or more see's ye go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Liverpool have scored in every away match in the Champions League this season

talk about jinxing us:eek:

yom 1 wrote: »
    talk about jinxing us:eek:

****!!!!!! What have i done???

gucci wrote: »
    Do you reckon Agger and Skertal will be the first choice pairing next season with everyone fit? Carragher moving out to RB?

Depending on if we purchase a RB or not.
    I think Agger and Carra for big games, maybe skrtl and agger for lesser matches with Carra out on the right.
    Oh please, there is an influx of all fans after Liverpool match, not just united and it normally happens after a major result - good or bad for the pool.

Its champions league we're talking about here and the winner of your tie will face us if we manage to beat Barca. So excuse us if we come to a public forum to discuss what has very much to do with United's season.

All these thread-fan ownership claims are really getting old. They're called threads, not territories.

Also check my first post after the match last night to see my feelings on the events and my motives for posting on the liverpool DISCUSSION thread. When they call it the Liverpool WORSHIP thread I'll take my views elsewhere.

oh hell stop crying, i wasnt even talking about you specifically.
    Liverpool have an excellent defensive record though, in the league they've conceded less than Arsenal and only two less than Chelsea...

yes, but the nature of a lot of the goals we've conceded is wat disappoints, think Wigan, Villa, Reading. Not good enough, Agger would make a huge difference there. He is also good for a few goals, as well as being a ball playing centre half which would make a huge difference.

Think Utd without Ferdinand, Chelsea without Carvalho, Arsenal without Toure.

Aggers absence has been a huge factor this season imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If my aunty had balls....

Liverpool's squad ain't good enough to challenge for the league.

It's that simple.

• Advertisement

I agree Des. Simply pointing out something a lot of people seem to have forgotten and something which has undeniably been a negative for us.

mike65 wrote: »

Right so, you buy him and give him to Liverpool :pac:
    Hes a left back isnt he? although hes rightfooted? Maybe they'd take JAR in part exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yes, but the nature of a lot of the goals we've conceded is wat disappoints, think Wigan, Villa, Reading. Not good enough, Agger would make a huge difference there. He is also good for a few goals, as well as being a ball playing centre half which would make a huge difference.

Think Utd without Ferdinand, Chelsea without Carvalho, Arsenal without Toure.

Aggers absence has been a huge factor this season imo.

I don't think you can make those sorts of assumptions tbh. Teams are always gonna concede sloppy soft rubbish goals, irrespective of whose playing. Liverpool have only accumulated 3 less points than Man U against opposition outside of the top 4. I think Agger has been missed but Pool have coped, Hyppia has slotted in nicely, Skrtel has looked impressive...Liverpool's defence is actually really solid in reserve.

Liverpool's problem this season, and for the last few seasons, is that they haven't collected (enough) points against the top 4 sides, and I don't necessarily think that's due to Agger's absence, seeing as the matches they've played against the top 4 sides (apart from the Utd one recently, but that effectively was decided by a sending-off) have been low-scoring.

I disagree Herbie, i think over the last few seasons our problems have been dropping points against the weaker opposition, Charlton,Sheff Utd, Blackburn, City(that was for you xavi!;)), this season we have cut that out somewhat, but still dropped too many. I'm not blaming Aggers absence entirely, as Des said, that just highlights our dquad is not strong enough, but just pointing out that he could have made a major difference. In the same way any fans of any team would if they were missing first choice centre half for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I disagree Herbie, i think over the last few seasons our problems have been dropping points against the weaker opposition, Charlton,Sheff Utd, Blackburn, City(that was for you xavi!;)), this season we have cut that out somewhat, but still dropped too many. I'm not blaming Aggers absence entirely, as Des said, that just highlights our dquad is not strong enough, but just pointing out that he could have made a major difference. In the same way any fans of any team would if they were missing first choice centre half for a year.

I agree that Agger could be worth extra points each year to Liverpool, he is very good BUT much of Liverpools problems this year have come from their twelve league draws. I dont know how much Agger could have done to change those results.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

theres a couple he might of helped with, that titus bramble goal comes to mind :/

Killme00 wrote: »
    I agree that Agger could be worth extra points each year to Liverpool, he is very good BUT much of Liverpools problems this year have come from their twelve league draws. I dont know how much Agger could have done to change those results.

Having a ball playing centre half wuld have made a massive difference to those games imo. He would have been comfortable bringing the ball up the pitch and building attacks. something none of our other defenders are good at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Agger is a huge player for Liverpool, but I think you are overestimating how good he is.
    He's good, but he's not Ferdinand or Carvalho. As you've said yourself, Hyypia did relatively well after his first couple of own goals. And Sretkle has done well since you've come in.

However, people saying that the problem was with draws not wins, the reason that Liverpool drew was often because they concedded stupid goals, that Agger may have made a difference about. Would he have made the difference? Who knows, he didn't though :)

But it's silly to talk about to be honest. Every team has had injuries. Arsenal have had serious injuries in the striker section, and were well in front before them.
    United have had Vidic injuried for a bit, Rooney out for quite a bit of the season, Hargreaves constantly injuried, Neville has been out for the season (who imo would have made a huge huge difference to United's defence this season)
    Chelsea have been plauged by injuries and the African Nations Cup.

---

p.s. next season I think we'll see Liverpool mixing up their CB pairing a bit. Carragher is pretty useless imo against teams that Liverpool can defend against for the entire game. He doesn't need to be there defensively and he is too much of a long ball person.

I think you might see

Big huge games : Carragher and Agger
    Middling games : a combination of any 3
    Games against **** teams especially at home : Agger and Sretkle.

I've already pointed out that we have only taken 3 points less from non top 4 opposition than United have. Hell, if we win our last two games, and United win theirs, we will have taken the same amount of points from those outside the top 4.

Liverpool's problem is not being able to beat Arsenal, Chelsea, and United home and away. We do not have a squad that can do it all over the park. Obviously Chelsea's riches don't bear comparison, but if you look at United as they are the champions and probable champions again this year, they can spend 28 million on a defender while Liverpool's record defender signing is 6.5 million. United can take a punt on players like Ronaldo for 12m quid at age 18, or 30+ million (depending on appearance factors etc., granted) on Anderson and Nani. Liverpool can't do that right now, we can't compete for revenue, and thus we cannot compete on the pitch in terms of quality overall.

Thank f**k we have Benitez who is obviously a wizard of some sort, given that he lined Djimi Traore's trophy case with a European Cup winners medal.

Be under no illusion though, money talks in football, and it buys the best players. If Liverpool finish any higher than fourth, they have over achieved in relation to the resources they have available relative to the other teams around them.

Large levels of investment, and a much larger revenue generating stadium, are needed to bring Liverpool in line with United, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Then we might start to see how Liverpool compete on a level playing field against those boys. (This should be evident from Liverpool's first major big time signing since ludicrous transfers became the norm, as he is now the top scoring striker in the league).

I agree Spockety, wat i meant was that the last couple of years, our problems have been against poor opposition, this year its been less so, a couple of the games we've drawn turning into wins and better performances against the other top teams is wat we need now to bridge the gap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement