Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hehe, I was talking to United fans a couple of days ago, they were excited about him. Talking to Barca fans during the match, they were excited about him. Now Liverpool fans are.

I think the entire world wants to sign him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    I think the entire world wants to sign him :)

And this would be our problem :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i reckon if daniel alves decides to move, most will go for him instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib06W_tWkLA

All Thompsons reactions for the Arsenal goals in the second leg at Anfield. Chatting to him for a minute outside The Tram at the last IrishKop.com night, top top bloke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib06W_tWkLA

All Thompsons reactions for the Arsenal goals in the second leg at Anfield. Chatting to him for a minute outside The Tram at the last IrishKop.com night, top top bloke.

He sure is,are you coming to the next one..?

No i cant make it unfortunately which i'm not happy about, Molby was like a ****ing stand-up! hilarious.

No i cant make it unfortunately which i'm not happy about, Molby was like a ****ing stand-up! hilarious.

Don't worry to much as we have a big one in the pipeline....my lips are sealed but you guys will be happy.;)

unless its torres and rafa and its in my living room, i'm sure i'll find something to moan about! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Comparisons with Arsenal's spend.. Arsenal have spent virtually nothing and have won nothing..

In fairness to Arsenal, they have achived a massive amount with a small net spend. Saying that though, they haven't actually achieved anything yet. This is a massive part of the arguments. Wenger's policy can only be vindicated upon them achieving success

A bit harsh no? This the same arsenal that led the league for most of the season. In terms of the league Arsenal are well ahead of liverpool. You may think that the difference is only about 6 points but its much mich greater then that in real terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

No, I think you are wrong. It is exactly six points in real terms, it may be more or less in some other terms that you care to make up but in real terms, yes it is only 6 points.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Dub13 wrote: »
    Don't worry to much as we have a big one in the pipeline....my lips are sealed but you guys will be happy.;)

its stig inge bjornebye isnt it! :p

It's 6 points in the difference in the league, it's a huge difference in terms of their respective abilities to mount a title challegne, which is what I think jank meant in real terms.

That said, the difference can easily be fixed by the purchase of two wingers/strikers and an injury free campaign (or more players to be able to deal with injuries).

My biggest criticism of Rafa is that he had not found (i.e. used) a system which suited the strengths of his players. He has now found one, the 4-2-3-1.
    With all respect for Babel and Kuyt, I think if Liverpool had Henry and Messi on the sides, they'd be one of the best attacks in Europe (especially if Alonso refinds his form as he suggested that he might against Chelsea)

Two new wingers/attackers and Liverpool can mount a league challenge. Still think they'd lose it because you can't play the top 11 week in week out and the depth isn't there yet, but that's why Arsenal lost this year, lack of depth in key weak positions (RB and CM) where Sagna got injuried and Fabregas got tired. Then they got serious injuries up front that no squad can cope with.

If Liverpool add those 2 attackers, they will be up there with Arsenal. That said maybe Arsenal are going to strength this summer again aswell.
    Also I think United and Chelsea will be strong in the league next year.

jank wrote: »
    A bit harsh no? This the same arsenal that led the league for most of the season. In terms of the league Arsenal are well ahead of liverpool. You may think that the difference is only about 6 points but its much mich greater then that in real terms.

also worth noting we have finished ahead of you the last 2 seasons.

Jazzy wrote: »
    its stig inge bjornebye isnt it! :p

LOL....no think more on the lines of Sean Dundee.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Dub13 wrote: »
    LOL....no think more on the lines of Sean Dundee.;)

Torben Piechnik? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This mornings papers say:

Gareth Barry
    Maxi Rodriguez
    David Bentley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    This mornings papers say:

Gareth Barry
    Maxi Rodriguez
    David Bentley

Gareth Barry - don't see his addition making much difference
    David Bentley - No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is that maxi that was at barca

then no thanks

yes to the other two at the right prices ie 6m for barry and 8 for bentley any more then no thanks

When did Gareth Barry become a top 4 player :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cyrus wrote: »

Nope I'd say it's the Athletico Madrid lad who scored the screamer for Argentina in the World Cup

then no thanks

yes to the other two at the right prices ie 6m for barry and 8 for bentley any more then no thanks
    Maxi Rodriguez - Argentinian at Athletico Madrid, previously at Espanyol.
    Don't think he ever played for Barca. Rafa has a penchant for Argentinians, and he would instantly be our best winger (not much competition). But its probably crap.

PHB wrote: »
    When did Gareth Barry become a top 4 player :confused:
    Since he started negotiating a new contract at Villa.

i thinks its maxi lopez i was thinking of

for me barry is a decent player and id be happy to take him if alonso leaves, he is as much a top 4 player as flamini/wes brown/obi mikel

consistent and unspectacular but reliable

also worth noting we have finished ahead of you the last 2 seasons.

But but but wasnt this liverpool's year? Wasnt Arsenal supposed to finish 6th?
    Look at the money both clubs have spent on players the last few years. you can see that liverpool's net spend is much greater then Arsenal's.

Now tell me what team is closer to the league title. Ill give you a hint. It is not Liverpool.

Im not questioning their record in the CL over the last few years, but their record in the league leaves alot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

i thinks its maxi lopez i was thinking of

for me barry is a decent player and id be happy to take him if alonso leaves, he is as much a top 4 player as flamini/wes brown/obi mikel

consistent and unspectacular but reliable

He is more in michael carricks league.
    Im shuddering at the thoughts of him joining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

An idea summer for me.

Phillip Lahm 14 ?
    Rafinha 7 ?
    Modric 15 ?
    Maxi Rodriguez 12 ?( because I rate him and he was mentioned in the papers )

All those players are available and I think we could afford them too. Would obviously need to sell to buy. The likes of Pennant, Riise, Finnan, Kewell & Voronin could be offloaded. Also, Modric & Maxi are captains of their clubs, something that Rafa really likes.

I pulled prices from the sky, could be way off.

Out: 46m
    In: 18m
    Net spend : 30m

Torres

Modric
    Gerrard
    M.Rodriguez

Alonso---Mascherano

Lahm
    Skrtel---Carragher----Rafinha

Reina

Itandje
    Agger
    Hyypia
    Arbeloa
    Aurelio
    Lucas
    Benayoun
    Babel
    Crouch
    Kuyt

Seriously improved team....its never going to happen though! Those players would end up costing much more.

But but but wasnt this liverpool's year? Wasnt Arsenal supposed to finsih 6th?
    Look at the money both clubs have spent on players the last few years. you can see that liverpool's net spend is much greater then Arsenal's.

Now tell me what team is closer to the league title. Ill give you a hint. It is not Liverpool.

Im not questioning their record in the CL over the last few years, but their record in the league leaves alot to be desired.

who said arsenal would finish 6th, when did they last finish outside the top4? who was going to finish ahead of them, spurs, villa? give over will ya

neither team is close to the league title but they are close to each other, but one is left in the CL and one isnt

Tusky wrote: »
    An idea summer for me.

Phillip Lahm 12 ?
    Rafinha 7 ?
    Modric 15 ?
    Maxi Rodriguez 12 ?( because I rate him and he was mentioned in the papers )

All those players are available and I think we could afford them too. Would obviously need to sell to buy. The likes of Pennant, Riise, Finnan & Voronin could be offloaded.

I pulled prices from the sky, could be way off.

Out: 46m
    In: 16m
    Net spend : 30m

Reina

Modric isnt a winger though, he is a creative midfielder in the Deco mould
    from what i have seen of him.
    Would prefer to see the £15m spent on someone who takes people on and
    delivers a cross which would give us width rather than someone who cuts
    inside. He would be a quality buy for arsenal though, would suit their system
    perfectly but i cant see Wenger spending the money on him.

who said arsenal would finish 6th, when did they last finish outside the top4? who was going to finish ahead of them, spurs, villa? give over will ya

neither team is close to the league title but they are close to each other, but one is left in the CL and one isnt

Didnt you read the papers over the summer?

If Arsenal had beaten United (which they very easily could have based on the performance) then they would still be in the title race, with three games to go. Never mind being 5 points clear at the top in Feb. And thats not closer then a team who was out of it the first week in January?

Regarding who is left in the CL, seriously dont open that can of worms, penos and all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IrishMike wrote: »
    Modric isnt a winger though, he is a creative midfielder in the Deco mould
    from what i have seen of him.
    Would prefer to see the £15m spent on someone who takes people on and
    delivers a cross which would give us width rather than someone who cuts
    inside. He would be a quality buy for arsenal though, would suit their system
    perfectly but i cant see Wenger spending the money on him.

He also plays on the left.

• Advertisement

Maxi impressed me the few times i saw him in the CL.
    Very direct forward. Would do well for ye.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

But but but wasnt this liverpool's year? Wasnt Arsenal supposed to finish 6th?

lol, are you living in some kind of alternate reality, where the truth doesn't matter so much when it comes to deciding how the world falls?

Benitez has had 3 league campaigns so far with Liverpool, and 2 out of those 3 times Liverpool have finished higher than Arsenal in the league. And obviously you're not questioning the CL record, cos it can't be questioned.

By the way, Arsenal and Liverpool have met 4 times this season, how many times have Arsenal run off the pitch victorious? I'll give you a hint, it's the number between -1 and 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Think id take Bentley before Barry, he has age on his side and looks really exciting. Although how him and Gerrard would fit into the one team could be a problem.....Anyways seen as they are 2 england internationals, their transfer fee would be inflated/too high and we could get better elsewhere for the same cash.

Cant figure out if i want Chelsea to beat Man U on sat or not. Couldnt give a monkeys which win the Prem at this stage. If Chelsea win they go into the 2nd leg Vs Liverpool on a high. If the lose they may be on a slight downer, but have nothing left to play for only the Champions League so will be wound up for the 2nd leg again.

So i guess it doesnt really matter then!

That may well be the case. But how many title challenges have liverpool mounted under rafa? Also you cant deny the net spend on players that Liverpool have over Arsenal
    Interesting you dont deny that Arsenal are closer to the league title then liverpool. Arsenal may well have failed to beat liverpool this year but looking at the induvidual performances then its a difference story. Results sometimes hides that true story of a game as for example the liverpool chelsea match 2 days ago.

Anyway we will see next season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

gucci wrote: »
    Think id take Bentley before Barry, he has age on his side and looks really exciting. Although how him and Gerrard would fit into the one team could be a problem.....Anyways seen as they are 2 england internationals, their transfer fee would be inflated/too high and we could get better elsewhere for the same cash.

Cant figure out if i want Chelsea to beat Man U on sat or not. Couldnt give a monkeys which win the Prem at this stage. If Chelsea win they go into the 2nd leg Vs Liverpool on a high. If the lose they may be on a slight downer, but have nothing left to play for only the Champions League so will be wound up for the 2nd leg again.

So i guess it doesnt really matter then!

You want Chelsea to win no matter what.. can never want United to win!

If they win the league this year that makes it 17 to Liverpool's 18.. far too close for comfort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How the hell did the topic get back on to Rafa's spending for about the 507th time in this thread? We all know he has spent £7billion while everyone else has only spent a tenner, we've come to that conclusion plenty of times before.

dc69, you're a disgrace to all Liverpool fans in saying what you said the other night? How the hell are we out? And putting money on Chelsea, i hope you were taking the mickey with that.

As for the other night, to be fair i thought it was the right result just a horrible way for it to happen. Chelsea bossed the game up until the 43rd minute, totally cancelled out our way of playing and we just couldnt get the ball in midfield. We'll definitely do it at SB on Wednesday and we dont even need the win so i dont know why everyone is so down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Melion wrote: »

dc69, you're a disgrace to all Liverpool fans in saying what you said the other night?

Totally agree with you here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Didnt you read the papers over the summer?

If Arsenal had beaten United (which they very easily could have based on the performance) then they would still be in the title race, with three games to go. Never mind being 5 points clear at the top in Feb. And thats not closer then a team who was out of it the first week in January?

Regarding who is left in the CL, seriously dont open that can of worms, penos and all.....

Give Arsenal the peno at Home and when Wenger said about it so he can not complain about the peno Liverpool got. Still only makes the score 4-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

would be excellent if we went in for him, but i'd imagine Chelsea and Utd would be in for him and as much as certain posters might have you believe, if it comes down to a bidding war with them, we'll lose. Not at the races in that department.

Apart from Torres

You always want Chelsea to win, cause if they are still in the league they'll still be thinking about the following match.

• Advertisement

Give Arsenal the peno at Home and when Wenger said about it so he can not complain about the peno Liverpool got. Still only makes the score 4-3

Yea cause thats how the game would have finished had arsenal won the first leg!:rolleyes:

Shut the fúck up about that penalty, Reina would have saved it anyway. Jank is really bringing down Arsenal fans in my estimation, i didnt think they were such sore losers.

Hold your horses now. I said that i didnt want to discuss that match because of the "can of wroms" yet it was brought by a 'pool supporter yet im to blame:D

Nice!

Hold your horses now. I said that i didnt want to discuss that match because of the "can of wroms" yet it was brought by a 'pool supporter yet im to blame:D

Nice!

"penos and all" wasnt mentioned by a Liverpool fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Melion is taking no $hit today!:D

John Arne Riise admits he's "ashamed and devastated" over his own goal for Liverpool in Tuesday's 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

"What can I say? I'm ashamed and devastated," said Riise.

"But these things happen for defenders from time to time. I know how strong I am mentally and I will handle this and I will come back from an own goal like that.

"I have been involved in tougher things in my life than this and I know that I will handle this in a good way.

"I will try to turn this around to something positive."

****, here comes at least 25 attempts from inside his own half

penos and all" wasnt mentioned by a Liverpool fan

Excatly i didnt want to discuss it (especially here!) and still dont! Comprende?
    i didnt think they were such sore losers.
    Oh and WUM. lol

Modric to Newcastle ?
    Newcastle United are launching an ambitious £12 million bid for Dinamo Zagreb ace Luka Modric.

The Sun says Dinamo Zagreb vice-chairman Zdravko Mamic jetted into Tyneside on Tuesday and met Toon officials in a hotel to discuss the move.

Modric, 22, has been targeted by a host of European big guns with Chelsea and Arsenal among the favourites to land him.

But Geordies executive director of football Dennis Wise has won the battle.

A source close to Modric said: "Mamic came back to Croatia and insisted that Luca is close to moving to Newcastle.

"He always talked about Spain but Portsmouth's Croatian star Niko Kranjcar has told him to move to England.

"The money Newcastle are offering is fantastic."

Excatly i didnt want to discuss it (especially here!) and still dont! Comprende?

Oh and WUM. lol

If you didnt want to discuss it then why put in a sly little thing like "penos and all"?

Dont understand the last bit, sorry.

• Advertisement

It wasnt sly, i just didnt want to end up in a tit for tat bull that is now happening.

Ill leave this thread as unless you have rafa is god singing from your ass your going to attract trouble. Anybody is welcome to air their views and critise Arsenal in its if they want.... pity its not the same here

Edit: Modric would be a good singnig for newscastle but they will probably ruin him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement