Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

People here have no problem with other fans coming in here if they have something constructive to add to the thread. We have gone over the "Rafa spending" too much for any of us to care. Rafa is terrible in the transfer market, Wenger is a genius as we all know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Melion wrote: »
    People here have no problem with other fans coming in here if they have something constructive to add to the thread. We have gone over the "Rafa spending" too much for any of us to care. Rafa is terrible in the transfer market, Wenger is a genius as we all know.
    Don't forget that Wenger rests players whereas Rafa rotates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

LOL, i thought liverpool fans were famous were their wit!

malice_ wrote: »
    Don't forget that Wenger rests players whereas Rafa rotates.

And if Torres had played every game we would have won the league, stupid stupid Rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's nothing personal Jank, it's just the same discussion just keeps going round and round about spending / rotating.

Anyway from the gossip rags

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez spoke to owner Tom Hicks on Wednesday and listed his transfer targets, which include Aston Villa's Gareth Barry. (Star)

Chelsea and Liverpool are set to battle it out for the signature of Blackburn winger David Bentley. (The Times)

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is tracking Argentine international Maxi Rodriguez. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks held talks with manager Rafael Benitez on Wednesday and believes the Spaniard is happy at the club and will agree a new contract. (Various)

Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has been so distraught after his own goal against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final that he has refused to speak to his family about it. The Norwegian ignored calls from his brother before finally sending a text saying he wants to be left alone. (Various)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aurelio out for three weeks. So thats his season done. Riise or Arbeloa?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Arbeloa.

although, as my bro just said to me, riise may have a point to prove if given the chance. would be a risk though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd imagine we'll see Riise. I don't think Rafa is too keen on Arbeloa at left-back.

It shouldn't have too much of an impact next week. For all Riise's faults, he's a solid defender and can slot in no problems. Going forward he is wasteful, but then if he can score at the Camp Nou, he can score at Stamford Bridge! :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Aurelio out for three weeks. So thats his season done. Riise or Arbeloa?

Mike.
    Riise definitely. Arbeloa will surely be at right back. JAR will hopefully make amends for his own goal by slotting one in the correct goal!

I can definitely see him smacking one in at SB. As poor as he has played this season he seems to love the club and will want to make up for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely Arbeloa at left back and Finnan at RB is better than Arbeloa and Riise.
    Aureilo is going to be a big loss for the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

PHB wrote: »
    Surely Arbeloa at left back and Finnan at CB is better than Arbeloa and Riise.
    So why are we not playing Skertl and Carragher centre back? I think he'll start Riise and Arebola on the left, and bring in Finnan pending how the game is going.

Or if he doesnt start Arebola and were desperate for a goal with 2minutes to go he'll bring him on :mad::mad::mad::mad:

sorry that substitution still irks me a little bit

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Rafa Benitez will take charge of his 150th league game for Liverpool on Saturday looking to create the second best record of any manager in Anfield history.
    A victory would mean the Spaniard has chalked up 82 wins in 150 games – more than any predecessor except Kenny Dalglish.

The King masterminded 87 victories in his first 150 games, with Gerard Houllier on 81, Bob Paisley 79, Bill Shankly 77, Roy Evans 72 and Tom Watson 66.

A clean sheet on Saturday would also give Benitez the joint best defensive record in any manager's first 150 league games.

His side has so far conceded 119 goals in the top flight – level with Bob Paisley.

Meanwhile, Benitez's record in his first 149 games compares favourably with that of Manchester United counterpart Alex Ferguson.

Benitez has won 81, lost 34, scored 228 and conceded 119. Ferguson won 63, lost 43, scored 205 and conceded 152.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159691080424-0845.htm

RAFA RAFA!!!

Surely Arbeloa at left back and Finnan at CB is better than Arbeloa and Riise.
    I assume you mean Finnan at RB rather than CB? Unless there's an injury to two of our centre backs that I don't know about (God forbid!)?

Looking at those numbers, it just shows how the game has been raised, Liverpool still well off the pace dispite Liverpool being so miserly conceeding goals.

Mike.

yeh rb :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Neither Plessis nor Insua are playing any part in tonight's Senior Cup Final reserves match.

So I reckon we'll see em both on Saturday. Don't remember Insua playing for the seniors since the preason matches (where he was excellent).
    Plessis was super against Arsenal though, so looking forward to seeing him again.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159700080424-1427.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maxi's link is an interesting one. I remember in one of Torres' Spanish interviews he was asked what athletico player he would take to liverpool if given the choice. He picked Maxi.

Would be kinda funny to rob their captain 2 summers in a row...he's a great player though, i'd be delighted with him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhItqUkC3MI

I think Insua should get the rest of the season at LB.

It's obvious our problem areas also include full backs.

Auerilo/Riise + Finnan/Arbeloa aren't going to strike much fear into teams.

I think Finnan has had a poor season, I know he's been injured, but it looks like Arbeloa is now 1st choice RB.

Auerilo is injury prone and lacking pace as a LB, Riise meanwhile just doesn't fit in with the way we play, but god love him he's got a prosthetic right leg. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

zAbbo wrote: »
    I think Insua should get the rest of the season at LB.

It's obvious our problem areas also include full backs.

Auerilo/Riise + Finnan/Arbeloa aren't going to strike much fear into teams.

I think Finnan has had a poor season, I know he's been injured, but it looks like Arbeloa is now 1st choice RB.

Auerilo is injury prone and lacking pace as a LB, Riise meanwhile just doesn't fit in with the way we play, but god love him he's got a prosthetic right leg. :(

I agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gucci wrote: »

Or if he doesnt start Arebola and were desperate for a goal with 2minutes to go he'll bring him on :mad::mad::mad::mad:

sorry that substitution still irks me a little bit

anyone who has a dig at that substitution is tactically oblivious imho....

So that makes,

LB
    RB
    New Winger
    New striker/winger

the required targets?

I think if Barry comes in, it must be because Alonso is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

So that makes,

LB
    RB
    New Winger
    New striker/winger

the required targets?

I hope Alonso doesn't leave.....? Great player. This is going to be controversial, but I don't care - :p - someone should give that Stevie G fella a brain transplant - he had a s***e game on Tuesday. Always seems to go missing against the big clubs!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I hope Alonso doesn't leave.....? Great player. This is going to be controversial, but I don't care - :p - someone should give that Stevie G fella a brain transplant - he had a s***e game on Tuesday. Always seems to go missing against the big clubs!?

Apart from that great pass to Torres that should have resulted in a goal and the amazing volley which Cech barely stopped ? Dont think he had a bad game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Not sure if it's been mentioned but thier's a piece about the goings on at Anfield on tonights Primetime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Apparantly theres a special on Primetime on RTE1 at 9.30 about the "crisis" within Anfield ...

Wind up shirley? Are they going to elbow in some spurious Irish angle?

Mike.

they're segment on pool just started anyway. watching on RTE.ie. if only they allowed The Premiership and Champions League to be seen outside Ireland as well i'd be sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Just a 10 minute time filler piece on how foreign owners are ruining football with Liverpool as their prime example. Nothing new or interesting really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Poor piece on primetime imo.
    News Of The World journo was one of the 'experts',,
    Enough said.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Just a 10 minute time filler piece on how foreign owners are ruining football with Liverpool as their prime example. Nothing new or interesting really.

pretty much.

Thought it was kinda funny to have a day tripper fan talking about wanting the club to go back to its grassroots. Can see his point, but comes across as a little ironic.

Bit disappointing that they only interviewed the less eloquent, vitriolic scousers at the Sandon, but sure i guess it makes for the best TV bites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

as OP said .. nothing new. And they had to show the OG again! :mad::o:rolleyes::p

Anyone recognise themselves?

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Who was the journalist who did the RTE report..?we had a RTE journalist contact us on IrishKop last week.

So that makes,

LB
    RB
    New Winger
    New striker/winger

the required targets?

LB, RB and WF needed, if you ask me.

I wouldn't be certain that Barry's rumoured arrival means Alonso's departure, to be honest. At the moment, our holding midfielders consist of Macherano, Alonso and Lucas competing for two positions. We know Rafa likes to have options, so bringing Barry in would make sense. He's also very versatile, having played centrally, and as both a left-back and a left-winger in his time. He'd offer cover for two problem positions, as well as pushing Alonso and Macherano for a first-team place.

It all depends on the size of the kitty though. He obviously wouldn't be a priority unless Alonso was leaving, but perhaps Rafa has more to spend than previously thought?

• Advertisement

Well the new shirt was offically released on .tv at 12 tonight. Have to say i really really like it

LB, RB and WF needed, if you ask me.

In this new system Rafa is employing, do you really think one new attacker is enough?
    Babel looks a prospect, but he's a long way away from being a first choice winger for a title challenging squad.
    If you're new winger got injuried you'd be right back to where you started.
    You need at least 2 new attackers, wingers / wing forwards in that sort of ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Well the new shirt was offically released on .tv at 12 tonight. Have to say i really really like it

same bar the collar.. any pics of the away yet?

i've heard they're changing the kit again for 09/10 because of the ban on alcohol advertising... is this true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

You need at least 2 new attackers, wingers / wing forwards in that sort of ilk.

yes and this is the priority imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

New kit alright, but same auld pug face on Gerrard, the lad never cracks a smile.

• Advertisement

In this new system Rafa is employing, do you really think one new attacker is enough?
    Babel looks a prospect, but he's a long way away from being a first choice winger for a title challenging squad.

Yes, I would say one new attacker is enough. I'd rather Rafa went out and spent big money on Silva, Diego or another player of that calibre instead of splitting his budget on two lesser players. Looking at our squad now, it is clear that only players of real, top-class quality are going to improve us. I'd rather Rafa went for a big name than take a gamble on two unproven talents.

That would leave us with a pool of the following competing for three positions:

New Top Class Signing
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Benayoun

Babel has shown signs of his best recently. He's still struggling to adapt to the Premiership, but if he's given a run in the first team and a full pre-season, he'll be ready to step up to the plate. Next year is make or break for him. Rafa must play him though - he's not going to develop on the bench.

Kuyt has received a lot of stick over the season, not least of all from me. He had a shocking first half of the season, and I was calling for him to be permanently dropped - not good enough for Liverpool. However, his form has greatly improved. Apparantly, he suffered a bereavement early on in the season, so that may account for his poor form. Alternatively, it may be Rafa's settled system that has allowed him to hit form. Regardless, most Liverpool fans are more than happy with him recently. He has scored in every round of the Champions League, and he offers a lot to the team. Liverpool like to win the ball high up the pitch and defend from the front, and there is no better man in the team to do that than Dirk Kuyt.

A line-up of Silva-Gerrad-Kuyt or Babel-Gerrard-Aimar would be strong enough to mount a challenge. With Benny on the bench, as well as Lucas who is adept in advanced role, I'd be confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Er you did watch the semi didn't you :) lil clue, deadly dirk scored our goal

Haha, oops! My memory is a little tainted by the other goal! :)

I'm not too impressed at all. At first glance all they appear to have done is changed the collar.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez's summer shopping list includes Wigan winger Antonio Valencia. (Daily Mirror)

Benitez also wants Gareth Barry, Borussia Dortmund's Philipp Degen, Athletico Bilbao's Fernando Amorebieta and Espanyol's Albert Riera. (Various)

Degen has verbally agreed with Benitez to move to Anfield on a free transfer this summer. (Various)

Atletico Madrid midfielder Maxi Rodriguez is another target for Benitez. (The Sun)

Manchester City hope to sign Liverpool's Peter Crouch, Tottenham's Aaron Lennon and CSKA Moscow duo Jo and Daniel Carvalho this summer. (Various)

Aston Villa are the latest side to target Sidwell and they are also keen to bring in Liverpool's Peter Crouch and Benfica defender Nelson. (Star)

Liverpool have signed 16-year-old Tamworth goalkeeper Dean Chamberlain. (Daily Star)

Newcastle and Liverpool are both eyeing a summer swoop for Colchester winger Medy Elito. (Daily Mirror)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I was hoping the liverpool shirt would cause the return of the polo collar back to football jerseys. Arsenal's traditional home shirt a couple of seasons ago too had a proper collar.

Ever since they abandoned the fold down i've found the jersey's very uncomfortable to wear. Much prefer a proper collar. Now I see addidas are going back towards a ring collar. Suppose even the fact that most are v-necks are an improvement.

Sickened.

Anyone remember Rooney running over to the dug out and grabbing a pair of scissors to put a cut into the collar of his shirt so he wasn't strangled. Bring back the collars jersey's of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was good to see Rafa's comments yesterday on the 'chats' he's been having with the owners and his looking to the future and signings, etc. ie: that despite everything, its business as usual.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0424/benitezr.html

Hicks was also at the match during the week, whether that will help with his struggle with Gillet or not who knows.

And as many of you may have seen, the squabble was an item on Prime Time last night although the piece did not have anything new in it.

One thing Rafa also said: "Now I have told the owners how we need to progress. Rick Parry will be working too, and if everyone works hard and we work together, it will be easier."

Rafa is not using language that would indicated that underneath it all he wants rid of Parry.

So, whats possible? Hopefully Hicks and Gillet will be able to come together at least to agree to sell the club on to the Dubai people. Prices mentioned are around 450, which is just a ballpark top-up of the the current loan (350m) + 100m. I think the two yanks should be happy with that. It will leave them with a nice profit, unfortunately it is money which has effectively been extracted out of the club, a large amount of money considering that it was bought for 300m. Not many clubs can survive losing 150m in a couple of years.

Essentially, if they pull it off, and it now seems likely, they will have flipped Liverpool FC using an LBO (leveraged buy-out). ie: they didnt even use a cent of their own money! Gekko comes to mind .....

Redspider

Why the **** is it looking like Modric might end up at Newcastle? :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the transfer window isn't even open 2 days ago it was liverpool and now there is a rumour of newcastle chill out Mr Alan jesus christ - gut reactions all the time.
    modric is a good player one i would like to have at liverpool i do not however think he is crucial for us going forward.

I know Mayordenis, he's just a player i've admired for quite a while and would be DELIGHTED if he ended up at Anfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement