Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Article on Rafa interview at Liverpoolfc.tv:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159702080425-0819.htm
    Rafa, a lot of fans came away from the match on Tuesday night feeling like we'd been beaten after the blow of such a cruel late goal. But it's important to remember that we didn't lose and we are still in this tie, isn't it?

Yes. Clearly. We had a chance in the 92nd minute and then conceded in the 94th minute - plus five seconds... So I can see why it feels like a defeat but it wasn't and we now have another game of 90 minutes and we will try to do our best.

How has John Arne Riise responded after scoring the own goal?

He was really down but I told him the only way to change it is by scoring in the right goal at Stamford Bridge. I think he has been working really well in training and he also knows that Fabio Aurelio is injured, so he will have his opportunities.

Is it particularly hard for him, given that he has been such a loyal servant to the club over the years?

I think that he was scoring goals for a long time, working hard and playing well. I am really disappointed for all the players but especially for him. For it to happen in the last seconds of the game is really hard to take.

How does a player deal with something as disappointing as that?

I think that as a manager, you must talk with him and analyse why...I think that Mascherano and Arbeloa could have blocked the cross but after that the decision is very difficult because it happens in a split second. Normally when you are left footed it is always more difficult to use your right foot to clear it and I think that was the problem.

As far as Fabio Aurelio is concerned, he's had some awful luck with injuries since coming to Liverpool, hasn't he?

Yes, it was the same last season when he was playing really well. We were trying to protect him and play him one game a week and that was working really well. But now it is not his calf, it is a different injury with his adductor muscle. Bit hopefully in a few weeks he will be ready for a possible final.

How do you assess your chances in the tie - it couldn't be more finely balanced could it?

I was really pleased with the performance of the team. We had clear chances and Fernando Torres, who has 30 goals this season, had two or three opportunities that normally he would have taken. But if we are positive and make the same chances in the away leg then I am confident we will take them.

Next up you face Birmingham in the Premier League. Will you go with a similar squad to the one that beat Fulham last week?

Yes, my idea is to try and win and we saw the other day that we can do it with the squad. Against Fulham we were controlling the game, playing well and we ended up winning. So we will try to do the same against Birmingham. It depends upon how the players are but we will maybe use some different ones and try to win because we need to confirm fourth position.

In the past you've had a great win against Birmingham in the FA Cup. But they have been a bit of a bogey side in the Premier League haven't they?

Yes, they are a difficult team to play against and our record isn't the best. So maybe we will approach the game thinking of it as a cup competition.

Does it please you that the 2-0 win at Fulham shows the depth of the squad is good?

Yes, I told them before the match that it is important that they play well because you never know when you will need one of those players. For instance, when you pick up injuries like with Fabio Aurelio, the players must be ready and they must show quality. So if you play against Manchester City or Tottenham you approach those games wanting to win. If they play well against Birmingham they will have a chance against Chelsea and maybe they will end up having a chance in the final.

The Birmingham match once again pits you against a side struggling against relegation, but they don't lose many games at home do they?

Yes, I think we mentioned this before in that they are a difficult team to play against but we must try to win to guarantee fourth position as soon as possible.

You met with Tom Hicks after the game against Chelsea...Can you tell us what kind of meeting it was?

Yes we had a meeting that was very positive. We were talking about how to progress, so I told him we need to work together and he agreed that we needed to talk and see how we can move forward and sign new players. I think that everything was positive and we are talking about some targets now.

With the current situation at the club are you worried that there may be a danger in missing out on some of those signings?

Not really. I think that we are progressing and we are pleased with what we have done with our scouting department. The meeting was positive and I think that Rick Parry will be working with us. I think that if everyone works hard and works together, it will be easier.

Do you feel that in spite of the uncertainty you will be able to get the agreement to recruit the top players you want this summer?

Yes. As I said before the meeting was very positive and we are talking about some targets. I think we are now ready to move forward.

Is George Gillett aware of the targets and was he involved in the talks as well?

He was. Everyone was and everybody has the information.

Mauro Zarate has made a big impact during his brief time at St Andrews. What do you know of him?

He was a teammate of Emiliano Insua when Argentina won the Uner-20 World Cup. He is a player we were monitoring last season because he is a very good striker. He is one of four brothers that play football and we know people who are close to them, so we know he's a very good player.

He's a threat isn't he because he's the type of player who can change the game in an instant isn't he?

Well out of the four boys I think he is the best! There's one in Spain and the other two in Argentina, but Mauro is a very good player.

You have hinted that you are likely to make changes at the weekend. Pepe Reina has said he's desperate to play because he's played every minute of every single Premier League match, so are you likely to play him?

Everybody wants to play. Two or three of the big names were saying I want to play, I want to play. But I need to analyse the situation of each one and after that I will decide because the most important thing is the team. If I said yes to everyone maybe I would be taking a risk and I don't want to do that.

Does that impress you, that all your players want to play, even with a huge Champions League semi-final second-leg on the horizon?

Yes, all the players want to play as much as possible and that shows the mentality and character of the team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

pepe ye ****in legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

zAbbo wrote: »
    Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez's summer shopping list includes Wigan winger Antonio Valencia. (Daily Mirror)

Benitez also wants Gareth Barry, Borussia Dortmund's Philipp Degen, Athletico Bilbao's Fernando Amorebieta and Espanyol's Albert Riera. (Various)

Degen has verbally agreed with Benitez to move to Anfield on a free transfer this summer. (Various)

Atletico Madrid midfielder Maxi Rodriguez is another target for Benitez. (The Sun)

Manchester City hope to sign Liverpool's Peter Crouch, Tottenham's Aaron Lennon and CSKA Moscow duo Jo and Daniel Carvalho this summer. (Various)

Aston Villa are the latest side to target Sidwell and they are also keen to bring in Liverpool's Peter Crouch and Benfica defender Nelson. (Star)

Liverpool have signed 16-year-old Tamworth goalkeeper Dean Chamberlain. (Daily Star)

Newcastle and Liverpool are both eyeing a summer swoop for Colchester winger Medy Elito. (Daily Mirror)
    Whole lot of average players we're being linked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Whole lot of average players we're being linked with.

thats exactly what I was thinking:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Rumours lads. Probably picked from the same arses that linked us with Ronaldinho and Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I'm not so sure.
    NBM, I accept the idea that you'd rather buy one top class attacker than two average ones, I'd agree with that. My point however is that you need 2.
    Kuyt has come to form in the last couple of weeks because of his heart, not his skills. Heart is hugely important for big tight games, but Kuyts problem is that he is not technically good enough when it comes to breaking down teams that are ****ter than Liverpool. That's the key for a league push.
    Babel is a good prospect but still a bit away imo.

The average players you are linked with might not be the worst thing in the world. You are working within limited transfer budgets.
    Degen is a right back if I'm not mistaken, and Amorebieta is a CB. If you could get those on the cheap, you'd have added a good bit of defensive cover relatively cheaply. You don't need to splash out of expensive defenders, they aren't as expensive as attackers. Those players could easily be funded by the sale of Crouch.

Then he is planning on spending the majority of his money on attackers. If those rumours were true, I'd expect he's looking to big a semi-cheap attacker (Riera) and then go all out with a huge fee for a top class attacker.

Is Riera not that bloke who was playing with City a few seasons ago?
    and PHB Amorebieta is a Defender. Did you confuse him and Riera?

I did :)

And you call yourself a mod!!

Riera didn't look great in the PL last time and he's not gotten younger so I doubt he could adapt now! Amorebeita is apparently very good though, but do we need another CB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Degan is a done deal - the rest are rumours. He's presumably the bosman that was referred to in the 3 players Rafa was apparently close to having signed several weeks ago.
    The Liverpool boss has already started his squad rebuilding programme for next season with Swiss international right-back Philipp Degen having agreed terms on a Bosman free transfer from Borussia Dortmund.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/04/25/prove-you-re-good-enough-rafa-benitez-100252-20819367/

Anyone know anything about Degen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No but don't worry, I'm sure someone is frantically looking for his stats in FM/Pro Evo and will soon come in to tell us how good/bad he is, making it seem like they've known about him forever.

I'll keep an eye out for him during the Euro's. Him being a Swiss international doesn't fill me with confidence though, I mean look at Senderos!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

According to wikipedia and his own official site he hasnt played a game this season. Anybody know why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Advertisement

I'll keep an eye out for him during the Euro's. Him being a Swiss international doesn't fill me with confidence though, I mean look at Senderos!

i know same thing with gary doherty and roy keane same nationality wouldnt ever of wanted either in my team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just youtubed Degen and found a load of crappy fan-boy fillers of no footie interest whatsoever.

Mike.

He's been out injures most of the season but he's at least back training if not fully. pretty sure he has been back playing.

God hope he's not another Aurelio :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

lads I would say the deegan transfer is true but I doubt the rest of them are.If you think about it last summer we signed Torres and Babel,who were both expensive,we then signed skrtel for 6 million at christmas,the most we have ever played for a defender.we also signed mascherano for 20 million.

Torres-26 million
    Mascherano 20 million
    Babel-12-million
    Syrtel-6 million

I dont think there is a chance that we will go back to signing ordinary players,I just cant see it happening.

I wouldnt be surprised to see rafinha,Villa and Modric and Deegan arrive in the summer.

I expect Crouch,Risse,pennant to leave

out

crouch-14 million
    Risse-7 million
    pennant-6 million

total 27 million

in

David Villa-26 million(this realistically is the price he will go for,he will leave and he says he wants to go to england,I dont think arsenal will buy him.I think it will be between chelski and Liverpool and I think he will choose us)
    Luca Modric-14 million
    Rafinha-8 million
    Deegan-0

Total-48 million

48-27=21 million

so the total spend would be 21 million,I think these are the sort of deals we will be doing in the summer.

I think Rafa would like to keep crouch but just does not think he is worth more than Kuyt,who I believe will stay due to his work ethic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We wont get 14m for Crouch or 7m for Riise.

dc69 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised to see rafinha,Villa and Modric and Deegan arrive in thesummer.

Pretty sure Rafa or TB (which is as good as Rafa!;)) said that we are not interested in Rafinha.

Dream summer for me (note i say "dream") would be;

out

riise
    crouch
    voronin
    carson

in

Villa
    Modric
    Bentley
    Lahm
    Silva

:)

christ, that is dreaming.

Melion wrote: »
    We wont get 14m for Crouch or 7m for Riise.

how much do you think?

Those are just prices I saw on other liverpool sites,that they thought we might get.

If crouch was played week in and out he would get a team 20 goals a season.Dont forget Bent went for near 20 million and he is pony and trap.

i reckon we'd get 12-14 for Crouch

and we'd get a mars bar and packet of crisps for Riise.

Mr Alan wrote: »

come on he has got to be worth about 6,I could see a team like sunderland going fo him

Can't see you getting above 4 million for Riise. He's a shadow of himself these days.

I do think you'd get some good money for Crouch, especially with the competition. 10-14 million I'd say.

Also think you'd get much better money for Pennant. I think he could easily go for 7-10 million, probably in the upper ends.

Villa
    Modric
    Bentley
    Lahm
    Silva

:)

christ, that is dreaming.

Pfft, amateur dreaming. My dreams of Kaka Eto and Lahm put yours to shame :) Step it up man! I hear Imbrahimovic is talking about moving :)

PHB wrote: »
    Can't see you getting above 4 million for Riise. He's a shadow of himself these days.

I do think you'd get some good money for Crouch, especially with the competition. 10-14 million I'd say.

Also think you'd get much better money for Pennant. I think he could easily go for 7-10 million, probably in the upper ends.

adding them together would bring us back up to where my original figures were.So If selling to buy is on the agenda there is no reason we wouldnt end up with some very good players.

The interesting thing will be to see if rafa keeps this formation and what he does with babel?Babel is a striker,will he be accomodated up front and maybe modric and bentley come in for the wings and villa doesnt?

if sunderland are talking about spending 50 million then we shoudl be spending at least 30,rafa has seen with torres what big money buys.

also we will get 60 million from premier league and another 15 from champions league,I think the finances for loans will be alright

PHB wrote: »
    I hear Imbrahimovic is talking about moving :)

Dont want him.

He's ****e. And his attitude stinks ;)

DC; i reckon we'd get 4 million for Riise, 5-6 if there was a couple of clubs interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hear Imbrahimovic is talking about moving

Spanish papers reckon Madrid will offer 50 million euro + Diarra. Crazy money for a player who has been perpetually out-of-sorts for 2 or 3 seasons now, and who has question marks over his knee. That's for another thread though!

• Advertisement

and who has question marks over his knee.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What flavour crisps are these cos we shouldn't settle for anything less than Salt n vinegar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

monkey9 wrote: »
    What flavour crisps are these cos we shouldn't settle for anything less than Salt n vinegar

hunky dorys buffalo flavour at a pinch.... that said he can go for a packet of chipsticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Jazzy wrote: »
    hunky dorys buffalo flavour at a pinch.... that said he can go for a packet of chipsticks

He is not worth a pack of chipsticks

IrishMike wrote: »
    He is not worth a pack of chipsticks

thats why there is a mars bar in the equation too.

rafa aint stupid ya know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't believe the stick Riise gets on these pages. Ok, he hasn't had a great season at all by his standards, but what a player he's been for the club. I think he deserves more respect than this to be honest

I think the fans who went to OT deserved more respect after watching us getting beat 3-0, than him running to Rooney to swap shirts on the field laughing and joking after getting stuffed.

I also think anyone who gets paid as much as he does should be able to hoof a ball out of play with his right foot! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Spanish papers reckon Madrid will offer 50 million euro + Diarra. Crazy money for a player who has been perpetually out-of-sorts for 2 or 3 seasons now, and who has question marks over his knee. That's for another thread though!

And dunphy doesn't rate him......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I also think anyone who gets paid as much as he does should be able to hoof a ball out of play with his right foot! :(
    essentially that is the most mid boggling thing about him/pro football in general. Insane piece of "defending"

• Advertisement

I think the fans who went to OT deserved more respect after watching us getting beat 3-0, than him running to Rooney to swap shirts on the field laughing and joking after getting stuffed.

grow up. You're being ridiculous, footballers after that final whistle blows don't have to hate each other, actually you know what it's good to see a player who's done so much like riise show such respect to someone who has just dominated him.

I wasnt asking him to attack Rooney on the final whistle, just to seem like he gives a ****e for the few thousand people who went to the game.

If he wants Rooneys shirt, get it in the dressing room.

Dont rub the noses of the fans who follow you week in week out by showing that in reality, you couldnt give a ****e. he knows he shouldnt have done wat he did as he stuffed the shirt down his shorts before going up to the away fans.

could you ever see Gerrard,Kuyt,Carragher,Mascherano,Neville,Rio,Rooney ever doing the same after losing 3-0?

Not a thing in the world you could say about this that will change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I like Risse and hes been a good servant to the club, but ive always got the impression he didnt really give a **** about the club.

Didnt he sell his CL medal?

You have to love him for trying so much not to be a ginger, every week hes his hair died a diffferent shade of blode and it looks ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He had to sell it ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I like Risse and hes been a good servant to the club, but ive always got the impression he didnt really give a **** about the club.

Didnt he sell his CL medal?

You have to love him for trying so much not to be a ginger, every week hes his hair died a diffferent shade of blode and it looks ridiculous!

Have to agree, over the last two seasons he seems to be just coasting. Dunno whether he's lost his love for football or the club but he's not the same determined Risse that used to give it 100% each game.

Carra seems to be constantly screaming at him.

Hopefully the ridiculous own goal will give him the kick in the arse he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'm done with riise tbh, i've had enough of his pissing about for the past couple of years. he's been crap, he knows he's been crap and i get the sence that he's trying his best, but honestly its not good enough at this stage. he has newcastle written all over him to me at this stage.

i dont think its worth hanging onto him in the hope that he *might* hit another 40 yard drive into the top corner again. other than that i see nothing for him at the club, which sucks because i like him and he seems to love playing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

had a great couple of seasons when he first joined, he was in my ff team, clocked up loads of points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Just seems to have gone downhill.Don't know if he has no interest of lost the love but it's time for him to go.

whats this about him selling his cl medal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Went bankrupt.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

is Mr Alan really argueing about riise taking rooneys shirt after the OT game?
    he payed respect to the fans didnt he?

why the f**k does it matter that he got a shirt before hand. ffs like, chill the hell out. nitpicking at this stage i think Mr Alan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement