Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Well there goes one of our targets.
    Modric Signs for Spurs

Nuts.

I particularly like the line
    "He must now obtain a work permit but that will be a formality given his status as one of the continent's most coveted talents.
    "

Is there a question on the form 'Status' where he can put in 'one of the continent's most coveted talents'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs? *Shuggs* We have a Swiss defender.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Surprising but Liverpool weren't even mentioned in the list of interested clubs on that page. Pretty sure if either Chelsea or Arsenal had been serious about him, he wouldn't be agreeing terms at WHL. Which hopefully means he aint all that great anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PiE wrote: »
    Surprising but Liverpool weren't even mentioned in the list of interested clubs on that page. Pretty sure if either Chelsea or Arsenal had been serious about him, he wouldn't be agreeing terms at WHL. Which hopefully means he aint all that great anyway.

I have a feeling he is going to be a top top class player. /Redknapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm quite surprised Modric has gone to Spurs. He will probably be like Berbatov now, a good couple of seasons and perpetually linked with a big money transfer to Man Utd.

Anyone else feel physically sick when reading Rafas 'supposed' transfer list ? Depressing stuff. Hope its not true.

Philipp Degen
    Albert Riera
    Gareth Barry
    Fernando Amorebieta
    Antonio Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think Barry is a handy player. Don't know much about the rest tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

We have enough defensive mids(which I believe is where Barry plays best). We should get another attacking mid instead. But we also need a right back, a right winger and another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Tusky wrote: »
    Anyone else feel physically sick when reading Rafas 'supposed' transfer list ? Depressing stuff. Hope its not true.

Philipp Degen
    Albert Riera
    Gareth Barry
    Fernando Amorebieta
    Antonio Valencia
    I don't know much about those players with the exception of Barry who would be a useful signing. The thing is though, remember not too long ago when Fernando Torres was a highly overrated forward who didn't score enough goals and Javier Mascherano was rotting on the West Ham bench behind the likes of Hayden Mullins? Just because a player doesn't have a big reputation doesn't mean they aren't worthwhile signings.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I think Barry is a handy player. Don't know much about the rest tbh.

Who would he play ahead of ? We need first team players, not backup players and thats all I can ever see Barry being for us.
    malice_ wrote: »
    I don't know much about those players with the exception of Barry who would be a useful signing. The thing is though, remember not too long ago when Fernando Torres was a highly overrated forward who didn't score enough goals and Javier Mascherano was rotting on the West Ham bench behind the likes of Hayden Mullins? Just because a player doesn't have a big reputation doesn't mean they aren't worthwhile signings.

In fairness, there is a massive difference. Torres & Mascherano did have big reputations. Mascherano had just played an integral part in the world cup in a starting roll for Argentina who were hotly tipped to win it. Everyone knew Torres was quality. Some people questioned if he would adapt to the premiership and thats fair enough. Those who quested his scoring rate were just silly. Noone scored more than him in La Liga over the last 4 years apart from Villa & Eto'o.

If that list is true, not a single one of them would get into our current first XI. I'd much rather buy two...or even one top class player than five average ones.

The current team needs time to gel as there has been lots of players coming in our out. A couple of quality signings is all thats needed in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I agree, the last thing the team needs right now is another summer of change with a big influx of new faces. We just need 1 or 2 for the first XI and 1 or 2 to improve the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

According to Paddy Power - Birmingham v Liverpool is on Setanta Ireland (Which is on my basic NTL package), but not according to any other listings I've checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its on setanta sports 1, GP2 racing on setanta ireland according to the EPG on ntl

The-Rigger wrote: »
    According to Paddy Power - Birmingham v Liverpool is on Setanta Ireland (Which is on my basic NTL package), but not according to any other listings I've checked.

Doesnt say anything about it on the Setanta site. I'd say they have got it wrong unfortunately.
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Its on setanta sports 1, GP2 racing on setanta ireland according to the EPG on ntl

I dont think its on tv at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=40997&c=1

Good work Rafa

The game is on Setanta Ireland.

Its not on Ireland its on Sports 1

Setanta Ireland SUNDAY MORNING 10.20 Premier League - Birmingham v Liverpool repeat

Available in ROI only. All the action from St Andrews as Birmingham City, who are battling to avoid the drop, take on Champions League semi-finalists Liverpool in the top flight of English football.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sorry Mike!

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its not on Ireland its on Sports 1

Setanta Ireland SUNDAY MORNING 10.20 Premier League - Birmingham v Liverpool repeat

Available in ROI only. All the action from St Andrews as Birmingham City, who are battling to avoid the drop, take on Champions League semi-finalists Liverpool in the top flight of English football.

Mike.

Excellent stuff!

I hate watching a game I know the result of even if its a win. Maybe a chance to see a few youngsters I guess.

Reina, Finnan, Riise, Skrtel, Hyypia, Plessis, Lucas, Pennant, Benayoun, Voronin, Crouch.

Subs: Itandje, Gerrard, Kuyt, Carragher, Insua.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tusky wrote: »
    Those who quested his scoring rate were just silly. Noone scored more than him in La Liga over the last 4 years apart from Villa & Eto'o..

True, but once Diego Milito has joined Zaragoza he has always been ahead of him in the pichichi charts. Why is their no interest in him? His team is fighting for relegation and he is a fantastic goal scorer, bettering Villa for the past 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Anyone got a working sop cast for todays game?

Edit: Got one:

sop://202.190.75.149:3912/3606

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so do people think Chelsea beating United will have much of an effect on the game Wed? if so negative or positive?

tv link
    http://www.mogulus.com/grid/PlayerV2.swf?channel=barcelonaec

Chelsea had to work hard for the win using most of thier best 11 so it should be a help.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, Ballack seems to be on a run of good form. Thought he played well against us in the CL too - Chelsea's best MF.

Positive though is he might be knackered for midweek. Essien ditto. Could be crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I hope Essien and Ballack are wrecked after todays game. Although Essien is the type of player who always seems to keep going and going.

• Advertisement

This is the most boring game of recent weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Anyone else shouting "away from goal Riise, away from goal!"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nice to hear some Liverpool fans singing Riise's song.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Nice to hear some Liverpool fans singing Riise's song.

Eh, I'm fairly sure that was the Birmingham fans. If it was the Liverpool fans, I dont think they were singing it in support of him...

"Heeeeeey Riise, I wanna know, how you scored that goal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

whats the story with plesis,I thought he was a defensive midfielder?
    He cant tackle,if he is supposed to be a central midfielder,he cant pass?

I know im being harsh but this is his second game and i would at least expect him to make a tackle,instead he just walks beside the player until Lucas takes the ball off them.

Voronin is a rubbish player,seems to play at his own pace,is lazy when there are geniune oppertunitys and then when there is nothing on,he will put in the effort to chase down the keeper?

Seems to intercept balls that could lead to goals.He has to go!

Pennant is doing well and I think its a good move to play Risse in this game.

• Advertisement

Voronin is bad ... he is probably chuffed to be able to get away with bad performances and still pick up his wages. I cant see him staying. Although finding a club willing to take him might be an issue (I hope not though)

Plesis looks a bit too nervous and afraid to tackle. Prob doesnt want to pick up bookings in his first few games.

Shocking stuff, has the sun got to them? Plessis is suffering second match syedrome, Lucas is just no good. Two lightweights in the middle = no energy/zeal/action.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Just threw E30 on Liverpool to win (draw no bet) @ 5-1 on PP
    Unreal odds, Gerrard to come off the bench to score and set up crouch for the winner
    BELIEVE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Shocking stuff, has the sun got to them? Plessis is suffering second match syedrome, Lucas is just no good. Two lightweights in the middle = no energy/zeal/action.

Mike.

Lucas is on par with Cheryou in my eyes.
    People on this thread think the sun moon and stars of him because he is
    brazilian, i think he is absolutly useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Two lightweights in the middle = no energy/zeal/action.

no hustle either skip

el rabitos wrote: »
    no hustle either skip

lacking Pazaz?

I would have liked to see nemeth start with crouch and insua to come on at 70 mins for risse.Risse at 70 mins will have got some match prep for next wed and then can be rested.Nemeth is better than voronin,simple as.

5/1 eh? If it was not for the fact a draw suits Liverpool (it secures 4th place) I'd follow you IrishMike.

Mike.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Just threw E30 on Liverpool to win (draw no bet) @ 5-1 on PP
    Unreal odds, Gerrard to come off the bench to score and set up crouch for the winner
    BELIEVE!

Woah. Nice odds. If I had money I would throw 20 quid on it.

Now 7.5 on PP! :eek: I'll risk 20

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just stuck 15 on at 7 - 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Both Plessis and Lucas are young, a little time and support would be nice. Instead of just slagging people off needlessly.

And Lucas is quite clearly not another Cheyrou. Lucas is neat and tidy, and capable of putting in some decent long range passes.

F-uck that

Mike

:eek: Fcukin hell ... great strike! :(

that bet aint looking so sweet now:)

What are the odds now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some free kick.. 15 euro wasted lol