Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Based on that, Crouch's ratio is very good at 1 in 2 (90 minutes) matches..

Torres is just amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A handful of quality signings will bring the team on no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers. He's half good as Torres then ;)

Was just looking through the team stats on bbc. Boring boring Liverpool have scored more goals than anyone else in all comps and we got knocked out of both domestic cups early enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Cheers. He's half good as Torres then ;)

and twice as tall.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Something I've mentioned before and happened again today for the first goal is that the back 4, regardless of which 4 players we seem to have there tend to get drawn really far towards the fron tpost when crosses are coming in and more often than not, an opposition player is left free on the back post. It so easily results in a goal, like today.

I dont know if maybe the player isnt being tracked by a holding midfielder or what but there is far too often free players iin these positions. Not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stekelly wrote: »
    Something I've mentioned before and happened again today for the first goal is that the back 4, regardless of which 4 players we seem to have there tend to get drawn really far towards the fron tpost when crosses are coming in and more often than not, an opposition player is left free on the back post. It so easily results in a goal, like today.

I dont know if maybe the player isnt being tracked by a holding midfielder or what but there is far too often free players iin these positions. Not good enough.

looked like a lack of communication between finnan and skrtel today, when the player crossed across them Skrtel should have told finnan to track him but was too interested in the ball - well it seems!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just seen the last bit of the match on Sky. How impressive was Insua?? He will definitely push for a starting place next season.

I think Pennant should play on Wednesday night, he has played well in his last 2-3 games now and he always gives Ashley Cole a hard time when he plays against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

spockety wrote: »
    Based on that, Crouch's ratio is very good at 1 in 2 (90 minutes) matches..

Torres is just amazing.

Thing is though, Crouch plays ****ter teams, so it looks better, while Torres plays in all the big games and still gets that ratio.

As for Lucas, Anderson was able to adjust faster because
    A. He got an extended run in the team when Scholes and Carrick were injuried.
    B. He is a physical player (like yesterday him and Drogba were fighting for possession and Drogba didn't win :)) and that makes it easier to impose yourself on the premiership
    (Also I think he might just be a better player, but thats a side issue)

Nani yesterday was extremely frustrating, but to write him off would be just stupid. If you took that policy, Ronaldo would have been sold in his first year.

I've no idea how high Lucas can go, just like I'm not sure Nani can go, but they are pretty bloody talented players who are still developing their games. Not everybody is a wonder kid, some players just need time to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Lucas will become a fairly good defensive midfielder in my opinion. Really all he has to do is put on some muscle and become more physical. Then he will imporve big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

hunter164 wrote: »
    Lucas will become a fairly good defensive midfielder in my opinion. Really all he has to do is put on some muscle and become more physical. Then he will imporve big time.

Funny, i think he can become a great attacking midfielder. I think his passing is his biggest strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Maybe he'll be both!!!

Rafa pointing out Drogbas diving antics in the papers today. The guy who wrote up the preview for Tuesdays game in the Sunday Times had a good quip - there had'nt been more swooning in Liverpool since the Beatles played the Cavern Club! :D

Mike.

sick of this now:

FROM BBC Transfer Gossip

Jose Mourinho says he has been offered the manager's job at Liverpool by the Dubai International Capital group who want to buy the club. (Mail on Sunday)

Leave Rafa alone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Was just onthe RWAK website and saw us linked with a young Bolivian, Marcelo Moreno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Moreno). Haven't seen his name on this thread before. He played for Brazil at Under 20 level, but decided to play with Bolivia at senior level.
    Jornal do Brasil reckon we're in for Marcelo Moreno. Can't say I've seen anything of him myself really, other than one Cruzeiro game in the Copa Libertadores I wasn't paying attention to. Top scorer in the Copa Libertadores this season though, and a Corinthians fan I asked about him said he was very Drogba-esque. Powerful, good in the air but with enough pace to run away from defences etc.

Wonder if that's one of the South American youngsters we're supposedly in for. Not the first time he's been linked over the past few weeks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0ByBc3u8w
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VrBJdjmSXa8

Real are being linked with him too:

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=653327

But could he ever fill the boots of Voronin:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, with our 2-2 draw over the weekend and Everton's draw, Liverpool's 4th place (at least?) and CL qualification was cemented. Whilst for many CL qualification may not seem like much, that is the bare minimum this club needs to 'survive' each season, so its mission accomplished.

It also allows Rafa now to have full optimisation for the CL games, rather than slogging it out with a 5th place team as has happened numerous times in recent seasons.

So, Now we can turn to focus for the return leg against Chelsea in the CL semi-final. With the tie at 1-1, its in their favour so we have to score a goal. We have the capability of it. Chelsea, as many/all of you will know, won their match against Man Utd. It was a fiery affair and Chelsea came out on top, deservedly probably, although it was a close match and took a not-so-sure penalty decision to swing it their way. They had other penalty shouts though.

That game should have taken it out of both teams. From our perspective, Chelsea functioned well without Lampard. The Chelsea players wont be rested, unlike ours, but on the other hand, they will be fired up after their success.

They could come out all guns blazing. This tie mjst have a goal in it you would think, and if we defend well, ride out the attacks that will come, maybe fatigue will hit Chelsea late on. Tactically, I would keep the legs of Babel for later on in the match, although I do prefer him to Benayoun at the start, so its a tough choice. Rafa will probably go with Babel to start. I suspect he will go 4-2-3-1, I dont want to see a surprise. Crouch is an obvious sub to change things on the hour mark if its still 0-0. Rafa may be tempted to start him though, but I think that would affect our shape.

Its all to play for ..... but we definitely need a goal. It could be another roller-coaster night for Liverpool fans ..... hold on .....

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

redspider wrote: »

Its all to play for ..... but we definitely need a goal. It could be another roller-coaster night for Liverpool fans ..... hold on .....

Redspider

i think were getting used to these nervy rollercoaster CL nights. Its gonna be unbearably come wednesday especially if the mancs get thru.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

lads what do you think we should be playing for the chelsea match?

the only 2 things I think should be changed are that pennant is definitely in and Crouch.

I was talking about selling pennant a few posts back but we have to use whats available to us now.Pennant in his last game has scored a goal and looks to be in flying form,we know he can beat his man,he ran rings around Birmingham in the last game.

With Pennant,if you put Crouch in,he can deliver those killer crosses.

I dont Know about Babel,for me he hasnt done enough on the wing.Albeit out of position.I dont know who we can stick left wing/striker but for me Babel aint gona do it,however he would do well coming on at 60 or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Babel for last 20 minutes against a tired Chelsea would be extremely beneficial.

As for Crouch, I'm not sure,

Masch--Alonso
    Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt-
    Torres

Reckon thats our best bet.

Crouch mustn't start. We definitely need 3 in midfield to compete with Chelsea. At least for the first 50/60 minutes.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Riise

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

With Pennant and Crouch coming on if necessary.

• Advertisement

I think Babel would be far far far more effective from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Crouch mustn't start. We definitely need 3 in midfield to compete with Chelsea. At least for the first 50/60 minutes.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Riise

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

Yeh definitely that lineup and setup.

The midfield trio are needed if we're yto get any sort of possession against Essien, Ballack, Makelele.

And Babel who I think has Ferreria's number (assuming he's playing).

Need to go all out, tbh.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Riise

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

i'd be happy with that line up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Babel for last 20 minutes against a tired Chelsea would be extremely beneficial.

As for Crouch, I'm not sure,

Masch--Alonso
    Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt-
    Torres

Reckon thats our best bet.

I fancy this too, Pennant has shown fantastic form so is worth his start. I'd like Kuyt to be given plenty of licence to come in and join Torres in the center as well as he's always had a good record against Chelsea, and in Holland had a big reputation for scoring away in the biggest games.

Crouch i'd rather keep as an emergency sub as i think the Masch, Xabi, Gerrard combo is definately needed.

Babel, though on the bench, should be really talked to for this game, readied so he knows his importance against tired legs, the same as against Arsenal. I want him getting an absolute minimum of 25mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i'd be happy with that line up

me too, remember that we should have beaten them with that team last week. pennant yossi and crouch offer options if things dont go to plan. deffo stick with the trio in midfield.

Masch--Alonso
    Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt-
    Torres

Has merit, Babel is best off the bench. I was wondering about Kuyt right and Yossi left for the first hour then bring on Babel first and then Pennant/Crouch if kitchen sink option is required.

Mike.

Pennant always does well against him mate ashley cole. Babel always does well off the bench. Chelsea always look tired late on. Team picks itself imo.

Babel has ferraras number? wats that based about? about 8 minutes in the first leg when Babel looked anyway decent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Reina

Finnan
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Arbeloa

Masch---Alonso

Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt

Torres

With Babel and possibly Crouch coming on depending how the game goes. Pennant has offered much more than Babel recently, who is much much better at coming off the bench then starting. Has he ever performed or scored a vital goal in an important game when started ? Dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Pennant always does well against him mate ashley cole. Babel always does well off the bench. Chelsea always look tired late on. Team picks itself imo.

Babel has ferraras number? wats that based about? about 8 minutes in the first leg when Babel looked anyway decent?

yeah,i agree.Pennant on one side,kuyt on the other.at 60 mins babel comes on and him and kuyt swap wings.

Babel would be very good coming off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

There's definitely a case there for Pennant to start alright.
    Babel has featured for the past few months now, so will the fresher legs of Pennant offer us a bit more???
    I think we all agree Babel is best from the bench, but he must come on with 25 mins at least left in the game if he's required.
    Essien back in the team as well is huge boost for Chelsea and Ballack is playing very well. After last week's 1-1 draw I was still feelin' confident, the doubts are sneaking back in after the Chelsea result the weekend.
    An early goal is a must for us, well it'll chill me out a bit anyway :).

Riise off the bench to get the winner from 30yds[well he's due one]:pac:..........crawls away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

DeadSkin wrote: »
    There's definitely a case there for Pennant to start alright.
    Babel has featured for the past few months now, so will the fresher legs of Pennant offer us a bit more???
    I think we all agree Babel is best from the bench, but he must come on with 25 mins at least left in the game if he's required.
    Essien back in the team as well is huge boost for Chelsea and Ballack is playing very well. After last week's 1-1 draw I was still feelin' confident, the doubts are sneaking back in after the Chelsea result the weekend.
    An early goal is a must for us, well it'll chill me out a bit anyway :).

Riise off the bench to get the winner from 30yds[well he's due one]:pac:..........crawls away

And then Mascherano to get the winner against Utd in the final!!!!!

Anyway, back to reality. I don't think Rafa will be setting them out to get an early goal. If it happens, great. But i'd say he'd be more than happy going in at half time nil all. Then in the second half he can bring on the likes of Pennent or Crouch or Babel, obviously depending on who starts. The worst thing is to be cut off too early and have a bigger mountain to climb so keep it tight at first.
    What's the odds for Liverpool to win two - nil? If we can get the first goal and then have Chelsea attacking us, we could get them on the break for the second!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Does anyone think Crouch should start in a 4-4-2?
    Something like:
    GK: Reina
    LB: Riise
    CB: Skrtel
    CB: Carragher
    RB: Arbeloa
    LM: Pennant
    CM: Alonso
    CM: Mascherano
    RM: Gerrard
    FW: Crouch
    FW: Torres

Bring Babel on for Pennant after 65mins or so if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Tusky wrote: »

Reina

Finnan
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Arbeloa

Masch---Alonso

Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt

Torres

With Babel and possibly Crouch coming on depending how the game goes. Pennant has offered much more than Babel recently, who is much much better at coming off the bench then starting. Has he ever performed or scored a vital goal in an important game when started ? Dont think so.

+1
    I think ball retention will be a big issue for us - if we don't hold it well when we get it we could get run over and never get into the game properly. The above line up is probably about the best on current form etc. for holding onto the ball. I think the ball tends to come back off babel a bit too easily and Riise's ball use has been suspect of late (even before last Tuesday).

Also let us not forget Athens where Pennant put on one of his best performances for Liverpool - maybe he's made for the big game but hides it well most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO you should play Pennant Babel Gerrard and Torres.

You have to be able to break with pace against Chelsea if you want to score, it's where you'll get your best chances. Pennant and Babel give that, while Kuyt does not.
    That said, I fully expect Kuyt to play.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's the odds for Liverpool to win two - nil? If we can get the first goal and then have Chelsea attacking us, we could get them on the break for the second!!

17-1 on paddy power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id say kuyt has been our best and most consisten CL performer over the past 4-5 games so id have him starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Cyrus wrote: »
    id say kuyt has been our best and most consisten CL performer over the past 4-5 games so id have him starting
    Kuyt is also far better defensively than Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

spockety wrote: »
    17-1 on paddy power.

Oh, i'm on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Line-up to be identical to last week.

• Advertisement

Kuyt has scored in wat? His last 5 CL games? He has to play imo.

Kuyt has scored in wat? His last 5 CL games? He has to play imo.

absolutely he's earned his place. The only positions that should be up for consideration are on the left wing and left back.

At left back we either go with Riise and leave Arbelao at RB, or, and this wouldn't surprise me, Rafa goes with Jamie at RB and Arbeloa at LB with Hyypia and Skrtel in the centre. I think i'd reluctantly play Riise to be honest.

I would also start Babel. I think he too has earned his place, even though his form has been patchy. It's harsh on Pennant who was excellent in the last two matches, but he can hopefully be a supersub (actually, hopefully that won't be needed) and be introduced on the hour mark along with Crouch if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

zAbbo wrote: »
    Line-up to be identical to last week.

Do you expect Aurelio to play in a wheelchair or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do you expect Aurelio to play in a wheelchair or what ?

Yes, Yes I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Great interview with Torres, quite touching but also pretty ****ing funny:
    ... And although he thanked Benitez for making him a better player, he insisted: "Rafa Benitez is obsessed with details. He calculates everything, including runs and flights of the ball, and studies it on his computer.

"And if he tells you to stand five feet from the penalty spot, it's not in your best interests to be six feet from it. He'll show you that the extra distance makes the difference between a goal and a missed chance – and it has worked for me.

"The proof for me is that I had never scored a club hat-trick in my life before joining Liverpool. But I've since got three, against Reading, Middlesbrough and West Ham.

"Rafa explained everything to me before I even signed – how we would play, and what our aims were. He even gave me a work schedule in advance.

"He has great powers of seduction and he makes crazy demands on us. At the end of training, when we are all tired, he can still make us repeat routines 20 or 30 times.

"I found the Anfield dressing-room very old and very small, and the players are right up against one another inside it. Rafa has tried to get it extended several times.

"But the senior players told him that the dressing-room had been like that for a lifetime and that it was like a listed building.

"The first home game I played was against Chelsea. I went back inside after the pre-match warm-up, and the crowd was singing so loudly the walls seemed to shake.

"I remember thinking that there is no way we can lose here and that day I scored against Chelsea.

"Nobody is sure of his first-team place at Liverpool. Rafa is merciless, and anyone who wants to play in matches has to earn the right in training.

"It is different to Spain, where only an earthquake can change the pecking order at a club. You soon learn the Liverpool way of doing things.

"If you train like an amateur you end up dropped to the bench for the next game.

"Training sessions here are tough and committed and at the same rhythm as proper matches. The spirit is the same at the weekend. English football is physical and reasonably honest – in contrast to La Liga.

"The Spanish game is more vicious, and you get studs-first challenges and elbowings off the ball. All defenders in England are tough, the good ones and the less gifted likewise. It must be written in their contracts!

"But now I've taken that on board I've got to go out and earn my money. I am paid to deal with this and I am not scared of a scrap so long as it is fair.

"I have wanted to play against guys like John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho for a long time, and they do me an honour by giving me a tough time.

"Now I'm going to try to respond to them by getting a couple of goals against Chelsea. Everybody dreams about playing in the Champions League and in the space of a few months I have gone from watching it on TV to having a part in it.

"I have already got plenty of memories. My goal at the San Siro when we beat Inter Milan 1-0, the 4-0 win over Marseille, and my goal in the 4-2 win over Arsenal.

"And now it is the turn of Chelsea. I don't ask myself questions – I just tell myself time and again that I have done the right thing to join Liverpool."

He should be politics! Never a wrong word. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is it wrong to feel such affection for another man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

You'll be joining the queue right behind Mr. Alan for el Nino affections.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

zAbbo wrote: »
    Yes, Yes I do

He might switch Arbeloa over to the left and bring Finnan in right full ?

0-1 Gerrard

Please GOD !!!

I also fancy Barca to get a score draw at Cold Trafford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fernando torres is no man - he is some sort of mythical creature brought from the wilds of spain to put balls into the back of the net on the kop end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Reina

Finnan
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Arbeloa

Masch---Alonso

Pennant
    Gerrard
    Kuyt

Torres

As with the other posters, I'd go with this too. Funny enough though I thought Babel was brilliant last week, although he ran out of puff. Certainly Rafa had spotted Chelsea's fullbacks as a possible weakness. Babel was taking them on and creating chances. I'd bring him on early, after 55 minutes if we still haven't scored.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement