Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

gucci wrote: »
    +1
    Thats all you can ask, if it comes down to players prepared to work their tits off i think we have them in those stakes, but its never gonna be as black and white as that (or in this case blue and red!)

I wasn't able to really sleep last night, I'm not gonna be able to eat all day, or sit still all afternoon, christ knows what its like being a player.:p

+1.
    I was pessimistic about last week's game but one thing is for sure, Liverpool are going to give it one hell of a shot tonight.

The sweat will be lashin gucci. Trust me. I'm in need of a defibbrillator this morning after last night. Its all ahead of ye.

I can only describe it like a car crash - you can't look but you have to. :D

Who ya telling? Liverpool NEVER do it the easy way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Obviously getting to the final is incentive enough ... with it being Man U, makes it an even better incentive. Cant wait for the game tonight, should be one hell of a battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Liverpool NEVER do it the easy way!
    So very, very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Credit to Manchester United - they got their tactics right and did very well to come through that tie without Rooney and Vidic.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Rafa will play this one. He's a great man for confounding people. I wonder will he switch to 3-5-2 if we haven't scored after 70 minutes? It's a formation I'd love to see Liverpool adopt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Come on the pool. \o\ /o/ \o/ \o\ /o/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its going to be a hard night but we Can do it.BELIVE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

oobydooby wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how Rafa will play this one. He's a great man for confounding people. I wonder will he switch to 3-5-2 if we haven't scored after 70 minutes? It's a formation I'd love to see Liverpool adopt.

Rafa has had a long time to prepare for this, I wouldn't be surprised if we see something new from Liverpool tonight. I think he will start with more or less the expected line-up, but may well switch it in the second half.

3-5-2 would allow Gerrard to play his attacking role behind both Torres and Crouch while keeping both Alonso and Masch, but weakens us on the flanks. I don't think we could use that against Chelsea, at least not unless the situation is desperate. More likely is going to 4-4-2 if we need a goal late in the game, with Torres and Crouch up front, Babel and Pennant on the wings and Gerrard asked to play Alonso's role in midfield and still get into the box when needed.

Can't wait. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

iv nervous already, its gonna be a long day!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I don't care how we score as long as the ball hits da back of the net!!It could take 5 deflections and I won't care.A goals a goal.

• Advertisement

Come on the reds! (If we do win/go through I'll probably **** the bed watching the final)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

oobydooby wrote: »
    Credit to Manchester United - they got their tactics right and did very well to come through that tie without Rooney and Vidic.
    They did, however the next time someone says the words "attacking" and "The Utd Way™" in the same sentence I do believe I will rooooll my eyes, drop to my knees and die. Laughing.

They produced a Liverpool-esque display when they probably could have outscored Barca comfortably had they given it a go. I only hope they play the same way against Liverpool, if we get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

PiE wrote: »
    They did, however the next time someone says the words "attacking" and "The Utd Way™" in the same sentence I do believe I will rooooll my eyes, drop to my knees and die. Laughing.

I'd just do this:rolleyes: because nobody thinks that except MU fans or people who believe their cheerleaders. They've been very average to watch (effective) when I've seen them this year, Ronaldo's spectacular contributions aside. Anyway that's irrelevant because the game is about winning, and Ferguson knows that too.
    They produced a "Liverpool-esque" display ..

fixed it with "quotes". I'm very happy with the way Liverpool are playing these days. Great to watch. (and yes, I do do irony)

Is anyone else finding it impossible to focus on work today?

I'm sure most of you have seen this videos already but if not, make sure you watch them at least once today. The Road to Athens video still sends shivers down my spine and as for the In My Life video, calling it moving doesn't do it justice!

Road to Athens

In My Life

Shankly

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

my god that road to athens video almost makes me cry. I can feel my stomach knotting up every time I watch it.

I wish I hadn't watched it just now, cos I can't bloody concentrate on work now

dardoz wrote: »
    I wish I hadn't watched it just now, cos I can't bloody concentrate on work now
    :D Sorry! I needed something to do while I waited for coffee break time to arrive so I put up that post.

There's just over 8 and a half hours to go....

Come On The Reds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it actually does make me well up everytime i see it

god i feel sick about tonight

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Steven Gerrard kills off tomorrow's tabloid stories today:
    Gerrard: I'll never leave Reds
    by Tom Adams, 30 April 2008

With Liverpool’s Champions League showdown against Chelsea just hours away, Reds captain Steven Gerrard has pledged to end his career at Anfield.

The England international has been intermittently linked with a move to Stamford Bridge over the past few seasons and almost joined Chelsea in July 2005 before deciding to stay on Merseyside at the very last minute.

His commitment to Liverpool has been beyond reproach ever since and Gerrard is the heartbeat of a Reds side that is seeking to make it three Champions League finals in four years on Wednesday night.

Although progress in The Premier League continues to be elusive under Rafa Benitez, with Liverpool confirmed as fourth-placed finishers this season, Gerrard sees no reason why he would ever seek to leave Anfield.

"It's true, when we play them [Chelsea] there's always a story,” said Gerrard in the Daily Mirror. “But I can't see myself playing anywhere else now.

“While it is in my hands and it's my decision, then that decision will be to stay at Liverpool and try to fulfil my remaining ambition here.

"I have got three years left on my contract. I signed a new deal to stay here long term, and no matter what you hear every time we play Chelsea, I am happy here.

"I want to stay. I am enjoying my football and the development of this side. I can see this team getting stronger and stronger because we are a young team that is developing.

"We say this every summer, but maybe this year is the important summer because it's the chance for us to go to the next level."

Liverpool are underdogs to reach the final in Moscow given they conceded a late own goal to draw 1-1 in the first leg at Anfield a week ago.

However, ahead of the 20th meeting of the two sides since Benitez’s appointment in 2004, Gerrard feels Liverpool are well aware of what is required to send the London club out at the semi-final stage for the third time in four years.

"We know their weaknesses, we know how to beat them,” Gerrard added.

“We will need big performances from our big players to do that but the only important thing is how we produce those performances."
    http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/30/Premier-League-Gerrard-on-Liverpool-future/

I was excited but now you ****ers are making me more excited :D

*shakes fist*

Come on the pool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

well done stevie lad. getting in ahead of the red tops!

will the fact man u are in the final be more of a motivation for our lads tonight>?
    obviously it will for carra and gerrard but the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Feeling very calm about tonight - probably will get nervous on way to pub later as I await team news but I firmly BELIEVE we can do it.

COME ON YOU REDMEN !!

and btw .. Yossi - you suck. As do you Dirk and ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> I wonder will he switch to 3-5-2 if we haven't scored after 70 minutes?

Yeah, I think Rafa will be more adventurous at 70 mins, especially if its still 0-0, as Liverpool can 'afford' to let in a goal and score one and still be in the tie. So a 3-5-2 then wouldnt surprise me, although as someone else wrote, he may try 4-4-2 first.

How Rafa shapes up our team will be fascinating. I do hope he doesnt throw us a wobbly (such as starting Kewell!) or something like that and surprise us all. I hate it when he does that and Liverpool have to win despite his selection, if you know what I mean.

He should start with the recently succesful 4-2-3-1. I think that would be most observers first choice.

But its Rafa - anything could happen ....

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Nerves are kicking in already. Gonna be a tense night.

Not really feeling all that confident. Just this nagging feeling that they owe us one for the last few years.

Suppose all we can do is believe;)

COME ON YOU REDMEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right now I have no great feeling, maybe this what happens with a euro final of some description happening every year or two! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i was confident up to last night. today i am not so sure it's gnna be so close. the game of pro evo i played yesterday put it at Chelsea 1 (2) - (3) 2 Liverpool aet! so thats my new prediction!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Oh yea, had a dream a few nights ago that it was a high scoring game, something like 4-3 to us, sure we'd take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

About article up,did anyone really believe Gerrard would ever leave Liverpool for Chelsea,i start laughing every time i hear someone saying that as an option.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

About article up,did anyone really believe Gerrard would ever leave Liverpool for Chelsea,i start laughing every time i hear someone saying that as an option.........
    Enough people that he was getting death threats a few summers ago.

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
    He kisses the badge on his chest,
    He puts in a transfer request,
    Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Firstly, so you don't think I'm having a pop - I'm an Arsenal fan but I'd love to see Liverpool win the champions league this year.

The problem is that I really can't see them beating Utd in the final.

Liverpool > Chlesea > Utd > Liverpool ... if that makes any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

**** me-this lad can say nothing wrong. i just ****ing love him.

From the official (interview to be aired on LFCTV tonight at 18.30)

He may have netted thirty goals in his first season in English football and got the Kop bouncing again, but Fernando Torres has pleaded with Liverpool supporters not to compare him with past Anfield greats.
    The Spanish striker will attempt to add to his stunning goal tally for the season tonight when Liverpool will be aiming to find the back of the net for the first time at Chelsea since 2004 and set up a final date with Manchester United in Moscow.

Despite netting more league goals in a season than any Liverpool player since Robbie Fowler and despite an on-field relationship with skipper Steven Gerrard which has had fans purring over a new Dalglish/Rush-like partnership, Torres insists it's far too early to bracket him alongside some of the greatest players in the club's history.

Speaking in an exclusive interview to be aired on LFC TV at 6.30pm this evening, Torres said: "I'm very proud (of the comparisons) but now is not the moment. Kenny, Robbie and Stevie [Gerrard] have a lot of trophies, a lot of titles and they have played hundreds of games for the club. They have been legends for lots of years.

"This is only my first season at Liverpool and I want to play better for many more seasons yet. So far I've had one good season but Kenny and Robbie have had six, seven, eight or ten good seasons at Liverpool. It's different.

"When I have finished my career then maybe that will be the moment to talk about these things but not now. It's too early. It's important to me that the fans think highly of me and if they're saying these things then I would say 'thank you, but not yet'."

Torres has been left in no doubt as to the impression he's made on the red half of Merseyside since his record-breaking move from Madrid in the summer.

Thousands of supporters proudly show off the Spaniard's name and number on the back of their replica kits while the Kop's song in his honour has had Anfield bouncing like never before.

"The best thing is for me to see my name on the shirts of our fans," he added. "It's strange in my first season because normally it would be Stevie or Carra but it's fantastic to see a lot of Torres as well.

"It's very important for me to make the fans happy. We play football to give them enjoyment. I think they love me and I love them. It's great when kids and their grandads come up to me in the street and say 'you're the best'.

"I was with Kenny Dalglish the other day and you could see in the faces of the people how much of a hero he is, 20 years after he finished his career. I want everyone to remember me in 20 years time."

And asked if he would like to remain a Liverpool player for the rest of his career, he replied: "I hope so. I feel very confident here. If we can win trophies, then much better. This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch. I feel very good."

I certainly did. Remember all he had to do was release a statement much like the one today but he never did. Also it was clear that Rafa's preferred midfield partnership (at the time) was Alonso and Sissoko/Hamman/Biscan. It was also clear that Gerrard wasn't happy playing wide right despite setting up and scoring quite a few goals. While I would have been sad to see him go (and still would be if he did leave), the team is bigger than one player and if the £40 million fee was invested back in the team it would go a long way towards addressing deficiencies in various positions. We've lost players in their prime before (Souness, Keegan, Beardsley, Staunton) and the club hasn't collapsed!

That last paragraph is not meant to sound like I don't rate Gerrard. I think he's our best player!

yeah,i know he had that bad period and thats when i really was thinking a bit theres a chance he go to Chelsea,but i am talking about situation now when i really dont believe at it even a bit,i am saying that coz of these rumours again Chelsea wants him this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

gosplan wrote: »
    Firstly, so you don't think I'm having a pop - I'm an Arsenal fan but I'd love to see Liverpool win the champions league this year.

The problem is that I really can't see them beating Utd in the final.

Liverpool > Chlesea > Utd > Liverpool ... if that makes any sense?

Are you having a pop?

Mr Alan wrote: »

From the official (interview to be aired on LFCTV tonight at 18.30)

He may have netted thirty goals in his first season in English football and got the Kop bouncing again, but Fernando Torres has pleaded with Liverpool supporters not to compare him with past Anfield greats.
    The Spanish striker will attempt to add to his stunning goal tally for the season tonight when Liverpool will be aiming to find the back of the net for the first time at Chelsea since 2004 and set up a final date with Manchester United in Moscow.

Despite netting more league goals in a season than any Liverpool player since Robbie Fowler and despite an on-field relationship with skipper Steven Gerrard which has had fans purring over a new Dalglish/Rush-like partnership, Torres insists it's far too early to bracket him alongside some of the greatest players in the club's history.

Speaking in an exclusive interview to be aired on LFC TV at 6.30pm this evening, Torres said: "I'm very proud (of the comparisons) but now is not the moment. Kenny, Robbie and Stevie [Gerrard] have a lot of trophies, a lot of titles and they have played hundreds of games for the club. They have been legends for lots of years.

"This is only my first season at Liverpool and I want to play better for many more seasons yet. So far I've had one good season but Kenny and Robbie have had six, seven, eight or ten good seasons at Liverpool. It's different.

"When I have finished my career then maybe that will be the moment to talk about these things but not now. It's too early. It's important to me that the fans think highly of me and if they're saying these things then I would say 'thank you, but not yet'."

Torres has been left in no doubt as to the impression he's made on the red half of Merseyside since his record-breaking move from Madrid in the summer.

Thousands of supporters proudly show off the Spaniard's name and number on the back of their replica kits while the Kop's song in his honour has had Anfield bouncing like never before.

"The best thing is for me to see my name on the shirts of our fans," he added. "It's strange in my first season because normally it would be Stevie or Carra but it's fantastic to see a lot of Torres as well.

"It's very important for me to make the fans happy. We play football to give them enjoyment. I think they love me and I love them. It's great when kids and their grandads come up to me in the street and say 'you're the best'.

"I was with Kenny Dalglish the other day and you could see in the faces of the people how much of a hero he is, 20 years after he finished his career. I want everyone to remember me in 20 years time."

And asked if he would like to remain a Liverpool player for the rest of his career, he replied: "I hope so. I feel very confident here. If we can win trophies, then much better. This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch. I feel very good."

Excuse me while i wipe away this tear

• Advertisement

David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

THE ruling Sheikh of Dubai is to take a more hands-on approach to secure ownership of Liverpool Football Club, the Daily Post understands.

Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum is believed to be taking a close personal interest in the attempt to persuade American co-owner Tom Hicks to sell up.

If Sheikh Mohammed did manage to buy the club it would be the first time a Premier League club were fully owned by a sovereign state.

As the Daily Post previously exclusively revealed, co-owner George Gillett has already agreed to sell his share.

The Sheikh’s involvement represents a shift from investing via Dubai Interna-tional Capital (DIC), which is owned by the mid-east emirate.

The shift away from using DIC as an investment vehicle is understood to surround the need for the private equity group to make large returns.

The amount that has been offered for the club, between £400m and £500m, and the £350m needed for the new stadium mean returns would not come as quickly or be as high as the demands of private equity.

To that end Sheikh Moham-med is understood to be in regular contact with Amanda Staveley, of PCP Capital Partners, Dubai’s UK-based advisers.

A source familiar with the situation said Miss Staveley had known the Dubai Royal family for more than a decade.

She is understood to have come into contact with the Sheikh in Newmarket where she was involved in the restaurant trade.

Sheikh Mohammed also owns famous horse racing brand Godolphin which has a stud in the town.

The source said that the Sheikh’s ownership could be along the same lines as Godolphin.

“Godolphin is not run as a plaything, it is a serious organisation,” the source said.

The Sheikh has enjoyed considerable success with Godolphin, in which he has invested untold millions. It is regarded as having one of the top two horse breeding operations in the world alongside Coolmore in Ireland.

Since starting in 1992, Godolphin has won 138 Group One races in 11 countries, their most famous jockey being Frankie Dettori.

The presence of Miss Staveley and DIC chief executive Sameer al-Ansari at Liverpool’s first leg Champions League semi-final against Chelsea at Anfield last week gave a clear indication of the group’s continued interest in the club.

It is understood Dubai and Gillett are likely to press for a solution to the current impasse at the club once it has got the Champions League campaign, which res- umes at Stamford Bridge tonight, out of the way

Lads when posting article's could you also put in a link to were you found it.

Sorry, didn't have the link. It was just sent to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Only another 5 hours :)

And while we're talking about Gerrard, Yes I was happy to see him go for 40m, if he didn't want to play for the club under the circumstances, it was time to cash in. No player is bigger than the club, much of the two times he was close to signing with Chelsea were both due to Rick Parry's incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

monkey9 wrote: »
    Excuse me while i wipe away this tear

Sweet Jeebus, Torres has certainly swept ye ladies off yer feet.

What else would ye expect him to say?

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    Only another 5 hours :)
    :D I haven't been watching the clock this much since err.. the quarter final against Arsenal!
    yeah,i know he had that bad period and thats when i really was thinking a bit theres a chance he go to Chelsea,but i am talking about situation now when i really dont believe at it even a bit,i am saying that coz of these rumours again Chelsea wants him this summer
    I'm not sure where he would fit into the current Chelsea midfield. Himself and Lampard have proven repeatedly that they cannot play together at international level. There's no reason to believe club level would be any different. Then you've also got Makelele, Essien, Ballack, Wright-Philips, Cole, that guy they signed from Reading and probably a few more I've forgotten about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

malice_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure where he would fit into the current Chelsea midfield. Himself and Lampard have proven repeatedly that they cannot play together at international level.

So that would leave fat frank on the bench then wouldn't it

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Sweet Jeebus, Torres has certainly swept ye ladies off yer feet.

Does my bum look big in this Liverpool outfit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DeadSkin wrote: »

Interviewer: So Fernando, your rise has been quite quick at Anfield, has this taken you by suprise?

Fernando: Not really, i always have had belief in my own abilities, and one day on trawling the internet i came across the soccer forum at boards.ie. There is a poster there by the name of Mr Alan, and tbh his reasoned and well thought out points are the reason for my confidence. That and his unwaivering love for Rafa. So i would like to thank him for inspiring me. Oh yea and Gary Neville is a ****.

now that'd be perfect :o

I'm not sure where he would fit into the current Chelsea midfield. Himself and Lampard have proven repeatedly that they cannot play together at international level. There's no reason to believe club level would be any different. Then you've also got Makelele, Essien, Ballack, Wright-Philips, Cole, that guy they signed from Reading and probably a few more I've forgotten about.

So far i know Lampard is leaving Chelsea this summer...

Interviewer: So Fernando, your rise has been quite quick at Anfield, has this taken you by suprise?

Fernando: Not really, i always have had belief in my own abilities, and one day on trawling the internet i came across the soccer forum at boards.ie. There is a poster there by the name of Mr Alan, and tbh his reasoned and well thought out points are the reason for my confidence. That and his unwaivering love for Rafa. So i would like to thank him for inspiring me. Oh yea and Gary Neville is a ****.

now that'd be perfect :o

"his reasoned and well thought out points..............." Hee, hee! I wonder who'll be the first to hop on this

dardoz wrote: »
    So that would leave fat frank on the bench then wouldn't it
    Probably although I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them were shoe-horned into a formation just to satisy their egos.
    So far i know Lampard is leaving Chelsea this summer...
    That's true. The last rumour I heard was that he's going to buy out the last year of his contract and head to Barcelona. I think the newspaper made that one up based on the fact that his wife is Catalan.

That's true. The last rumour I heard was that he's going to buy out the last year of his contract and head to Barcelona. I think the newspaper made that one up based on the fact that his wife is Catalan.

Well i have info he already agreed with Juventus about everything....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

another high profile player buying out his contract :rolleyes:

wont happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

three hours and counting...

i cant concentrate on anythign at the moment!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement