Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

did it look to anyone else like Hunt was gonna square up to Momo, and then thought better of it?

Stekelly wrote:
    Poor shot from Yossi, should have finished it,

yeah, or slid in Torres at the back post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

~Rebel~ wrote:
    did it look to anyone else like Hunt was gonna square up to Momo, and then thought better of it?

Probably thought he didnt fancy another red (and a good kicking :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That shot there sums up everything wrong with Gerrard's game.

PHB wrote:
    That shot there sums up everything wrong with Gerrard's game.

And that pass everything right. :)

4-2 hat trick for Torres. So calm, wasnt rushed or panicking, great to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hat trick for Torres, that is just quality. So cool in a one on one situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Hat trick Torres :D

Stekelly wrote:
    And that pas everything right.

Exactly. Could done that twice and Torres would have four :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

so rafa, what did you think of torres tonight?

"always we say, he is a good player, yes. and for sure, he gives us possibilities."

dropped for the weekend now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

\o/ yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Man is there highlights on TV of this match later? Wanna see Torres' hat-trick!

PHB wrote:
    Exactly. Could done that twice and Torres would have four :)

Thb, I know he's prone to stupid things but I reckon he was messing there just because it is a carling cup game. Alonsa probably slags about the 2 he got from his own half.

Just thinking about why he is playing Torres tonight, perhaps he is trying to protect him, and give him easy games for him to adapt to the English game properly. Playing him against teams that will give him chances to score so he doesn't have bad games etc. It's something Fergie Wenger has done with foreign players in the past.

PHB wrote:
    Just thinking about why he is playing Torres tonight, perhaps he is trying to protect him, and give him easy games for him to adapt to the English game properly. Playing him against teams that will give him chances to score so he doesn't have bad games etc. It's something Fergie Wenger has done with foreign players in the past.

maybe so. I would have classed Birmingham at home as one of them too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fergie Wenger

Oh-noes! The Ultimate Manager! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement

christ why didnt he play the ball in front of torres rather then off to leto?!

mike65 wrote:
    Oh-noes! The Ultimate Manager! :D

Mike.

Give him an overoat and a dodgy smig and he may well be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:

dont think there was anything easy about that game for torres tbh

i reckon the way he carried himself made it look alot easier than it actually was. he was battered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Torres ... Straight to the ref for the match ball

Heres hoping he builds a collection this season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm genuinely excited about watching Torres play this season! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Torres looked world class tonight.

I'm still taking him out of my fantasy team...can't trust Benitez!

Well a win for the pool 4-2 an improvement on 4-3 last year ;)

Positives for Liverpool, well Torres we all know about that. Great to see Aurelio back looked good out there one or two mistakes but still geting back to match pace. Will be interesting to see what happens with arbeloa when Agger and Aurelio are fully fit rotate every other game anyone? Sissoko poor in the first half but improved in the second.

Crouch: Got in some nice tackles to win balls and some nice footwork to keep posession but he is a striker where where the shots on goal.

Lucas: did ok bit anon in the second half

Leto: few nice touches also some wasted balls

yossi: great goal but a little anon in the last part of the match

Back four did fine, carragher saved them a lot in the first half.

intandje sp.? will be dissapointed i think

Well at least it was an exciting match to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

PHB wrote:
    In fairness I don't think he needs much adapting. In all his games he battles hard, chases balls and wins possession when he shouldn't really have got the ball back. He looks to me (not just based on tonight) to be well able for the english game and should really be unleashed as often as possible every week in the PL. He gets roughed up a lot but seems more than capable of absorbing it.

I really think this guy is the real deal and Rafa is being over cautious tbh. A couple more 0-0 draws in the PL and it will be a dog fight for fourth spot yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

LizardKing wrote:
    Torres ... Straight to the ref for the match ball

Heres hoping he builds a collection this season :D
    Most definitely! Nice pic :) I was fairly happy with our performance overall tonight. I thought Lucas showed some excellent touches and crisp passes. He faded a bit towards the end but that's probably to be expected. Great goal from Yossi and Torres just illustrated again why he has the potential to be an absolute legend at Liverpool.
    Also, a small piece of trivia from the match:
    Q: Who's the only player to start every game for Liverpool this season?
    A:
    Alvaro Arbeloa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stekelly wrote:
    Quit the moaning, the whole point of what everyone was saying was that he should have been playing saturday ad not today.

that was my point, why let him get injured in a nothing game. anyway he did brilliantly and lets hope he doesnt come off the team sheat again in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Rafa says he needs to think about playing torres at the weekend, WTF?

Does anyone else think Torres actually looks better in the EPL then he did in Spain? At this point i've probably seen about an equal number of games of him at Pool and him at Atletico and he's impressing me much more now. Seems to have a new lease of life!

Now. Who to play for the weekend? With the games next week being Saturday and Wednesday theres no real excuse for resting. Having said that Pennants bound to take Yossi's place on Sat since he's suspended in CL. Id like to see Yossi still playing, over on the left though, keep him in practice for CL and bring a bit of craft that we've been lacking in the PL. Gerrard and Masch for both id say. Torres really has to start both, maybe with different partners. Probably the usual back 4 for both as well, with Aurelio coming on for a bit of game time towards the end of either. Babel to come on against Wigan, and start in the CL.

I honestly believe Liverpools best first 11 should have Torres up top with Gerrard just off him. Liverpools 3 other strikers just aren't good enough. Incidentally, I think Gerrard would be a revelation in that position. Especially with Torres to work with.

And midfield would be Babel, Alonso, Mascherano and Pennant.

Would any 'pool fans fancy that idea?

Id certainly like to see it, though im not sure about Gerrard in that role. He looks much better running forward from midfield rather then collecting the ball with back to goal. He could of course play as OMF and leave a bit of distance between him and Torres.

Would like to see This at some point;

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Arbeloa/Aurelio

Masch
    Alonso--Gerrard
    Pennant
    Babel
    Torres

I think that plays to everyones strengths.

Nunu wrote:
    I honestly believe Liverpools best first 11 should have Torres up top with Gerrard just off him. Liverpools 3 other strikers just aren't good enough. Incidentally, I think Gerrard would be a revelation in that position. Especially with Torres to work with.

I'd put my considerable weight behind that.

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote:

Like this?...

..............Reina
    Finnan Carra Agger Aurelio
    Pennant Alonso Masch Babel
    .............Gerrard
    .................Torres

Would be similar to what he played 05/06 but without the quality we have now. Although it might lead to Torres being isolated or nearly negated in matches against stronger opposition.

Put Aurelio on the wing and Arbeloa at LB and that looks pretty good. Cue three pissed-off strikers on the bench (well two the other in the stands).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

any link to highlights anywheres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Does anyone else think Torres actually looks better in the EPL then he did in Spain?
    Definitely. He wasn't as highly rated there as some people seem to think, but I'm starting to think I may have slightly underrated him. Goalscoring was never really his forte but he's clearly a top player. Now that he's banging them in he might accurately be described as world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Does anyone else think Torres actually looks better in the EPL then he did in Spain? At this point i've probably seen about an equal number of games of him at Pool and him at Atletico and he's impressing me much more now. Seems to have a new lease of life!

Athletico were a one man team with Torres, often playing him alone upfront, or at times on the wing. He often had to drop back, and he had the responsibility of being captain.

Its still early days for Torres in England but he hasn't failed to impress me yet.

I thought Lucas had a great first half. I agree with Melion that he reminds me of first season Xabi. Very assured passing, I think he's going to be first choice centre midfield in the next couple of years.

I thought Benayoun was great. Worked very hard. Great goal. Was almost playing right back late in the second half. Some great defensive headers.

Crouch was so-so. He improved as the game went on, but I think he's still feeling a bit hard done by judging by his body language.

Leto was ok. Showed positives and negatives.

Not convinced by Arbeloa at centre half. Mind you it was his first game there.

Itjande (sic?) was a bit shakey. Couldn't fault him for the first goal, but he didn't look too comfortable with crosses (ie the second goal).

I think Rafa will play Torres against Wigan. In fairness to Rafa, Reading did play a high defensive line, which suited Torres hugely, but Torres isn't a one dimensional speed striker. I think he's as good as Kuyt or Voronin at the hold-up / link-up type play as well.

It is a problem for Rafa. He's trying to keep 4 strikers going with games and confidence. I'm sure he doesn't want to become reliant on one player. That would give him a bigger problem should that player become injured.

Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into tonight. It is only the Carling Cup. Enjoyable match, but the really serious stuff returns at the weekend.

darkskol wrote:
    Like this?...

..............Reina
    Finnan Carra Agger Aurelio
    Pennant Alonso Masch Babel
    .............Gerrard
    .................Torres

Would be similar to what he played 05/06 but without the quality we have now. Although it might lead to Torres being isolated or nearly negated in matches against stronger opposition.

Ye, that would be the basic set-up.
    As regards Gerrards role, think along the lines of where Kaka plays and what he does for Milan. I really believe Gerrard could aspire to that level...but maybe not just quite reach it:D

I think it would suit Torres down to the ground also. He'd have no problem at all effectively being the only striker and we've already seen how well himself and Gerrard can link up with the latters through balls so far this season. It would be even better if they were that bit closer to each other playing one twos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just saw the goals now. Torres is a different class, he really should be starting every game when he's fit.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I must admit I had some doubts about Torres for that money, mainly as regards goalscoring, but his form so far, coupled with his willingness to run and bounce back after every challenge has eradicated those completely, and that is not just based on tonights excellent game.

I must admit I cringed though when I saw the replay of that challenge in the first couple of minutes and the way his ankle seemed to twist badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Anyone got links to highlights from tonights match?

• Advertisement

thought this video was kinda funny, Carra being interviewed after the game about how wonderful torres was, with a very awkward looking torres standing next to him; http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_2755909,00.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

torres got 3 where rooney, giggs and co. couldnt get 1, makes me happy :p

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well impressed by Torres tonight, not so much my the goals as by the way he stood up to some rough treatment. quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

copacetic wrote:
    well impressed by Torres tonight, not so much my the goals as by the way he stood up to some rough treatment. quality.

He looked as if he was actually enjoying getting kicked around the place. I have to admit, am sure that some defenders thought the same thing, that I was worried that the physicality of the PL might prove a problem for him and that he would shy away from getting his hands dirty. I am delighted, am sure defenders are heart broken, that he seems to revel in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Highlights here for those who were asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

i dont think gerrard should be played behind the front man, should be in central midfield.

he said himself, he doesnt like playing there, and if a player doesnt like playing there, he wont give his all, regardless what he says

from that position, he wouldnt be able to tackle really, would be constantly told to stay up front.
    And tbh, i dont think he is the player to be going around one of two men in a small space and sliding it through to torres

play him in the middle, its his best and favoured position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

event wrote:
    play him in the middle, its his best and favoured position.

Agreed - always prefer Gerrard playing in the middle and breaking forward. He's played up front a few times and I've never thought he looked too comfortable there or been overly effective. And it's not just Gerrard & Torres who link up well - add Kuyt to the mix and you've 3 intelligent (football wise at least :D ) players who all link up well together.

Very impressed with Torres last night - his finishing was brilliant but it's more than that - many (myself included) were unsure about him being able to stand up the more physical nature of english football but he's proved us all wrong about that. He's got the upper body strength to hold off defenders and just keeps picking himself back up without complaining after having the crap kicked out of him.

He's wasted in the PL though - should keep him for the cups :rolleyes: :p

Also impressed with Leto last night - still young & adapting to the game but I thought he did quite well considering. Defo the kind of player who would benefit from a decent cup run. Similar with Lucas - his first touch let him down a few times but overall he did a decent job.

Grrr - forgot tickets for Marseille went on sale this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

shotamoose wrote:
    Highlights here for those who were asking.

Bloody hell. Torres took an absolute hammering by the looks of it. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, the performance of Torres last night and in the 30 mins v Birmingham does prove one thing, that Benitez got his selection wrong on Sat and that it cost us 2 pts in the league.

Question: Who else here on boards.ie now feels that Torres is our no.1 stiker and should be one of the first names down on every team sheet?

Its good to get a good run-out in the Carling Cup, but hold on, this is the Carling Cup, and arent we supposed to be optimising for the league this year?

If Benitez doesn't start Torres in both games on Sat and Wed, then I'm afraid that will be another mistake by Rafa and I wont have much faith in future key decisions throughout the season.

Redspider

Thanks for the vid Shotamoose (fred!?) much better than a youtube blur.

As for Torres, its bleedin' obvious! Start him every league game and CL game, as for the other cups I don't care really. Bench warmer then. :)

How the hell was Conveys goal not dissalowed?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lads, give it up with the Gerrard in the middle talk, please, its bad enough on Sky, its obvious he is Rafas first choice CM this season when fully fit.

Torres was sheer class last night. Still baffled he didnt start there on Saturday, but tbh lads, i wouldnt be suprised if he didn't start a couple more games this year, Rafa is ALWAYS going to rotate, like it or lump it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement