Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I tonight tonight hammered home the need for Liverpool to get better fullback cover/better fullbacks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone who questions Rafa's position is deluded. There may be a few people popping their heads back above the parapet after a few months of silence to throw some mud, but they will be quickly shot down by voices of reason.

3 Champions League semi finals in 4 years with Liverpool's resources is no mean feat.
    Chelsea are worthy finalists, they have an unbelievable squad, and they played better than Liverpool as a result. There is no shame in going out to them.

People have had superstitions in previous years about "This is Liverpool's year" in Europe because of X, Y, or Z. Perhaps this year is Chelsea's.. a Russian final played by a team owned by a Russian.. their 3rd semi against Liverpool but this time they get the 2nd leg at home...

Let's get to the Summer, take stock, and get in 2 or 3 high quality additions to the squad to replace the starting places of the likes of Riise, Benayoun, and Kuyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

spockety wrote: »
    Anyone who questions Rafa's position is deluded. There may be a few people popping their heads back above the parapet after a few months of silence to throw some mud, but they will be quickly shot down by voices of reason.

3 Champions League semi finals in 4 years with Liverpool's resources is no mean feat.
    Chelsea are worthy finalists, they have an unbelievable squad, and they played better than Liverpool as a result. There is no shame in going out to them.

People have had superstitions in previous years about "This is Liverpool's year" in Europe because of X, Y, or Z. Perhaps this year is Chelsea's.. a Russian final played by a team owned by a Russian.. their 3rd semi against Liverpool but this time they get the 2nd leg at home...

Let's get to the Summer, take stock, and get in 2 or 3 high quality additions to the squad to replace the starting places of the likes of Riise, Benayoun, and Kuyt.

I agree,If rafa benitez had the money to spend that chelski and utd have,he would have won the CL the last 3 years and this year!

He is the best European manager in the world.

Rafa is about to be interviewed on Sky Sports 2 to clear up why Torres was taken off.

EDIT: Torres hamstring injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey Yossi set up the first goal, its not his fault his best position is filled by Gerrard. There will be a clear out of course but before that there is much bigger fish to be fried.

The move by DIC was being held of until the after Liverpools European campaign ended, so we could see action very quickly.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thought Chelsea played really well. No shame. We're not far off Chelsea and Manchester United, but I think the best two teams in Europe are in the final this year. Pity they happen to be English teams (who we see a lot of anyway on TV). Hope we can make two or three good signings over the summer, especially at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

dc69 wrote: »
    I agree,If rafa benitez had the money to spend that chelski and utd have,he would have won the CL the last 3 years and this year!

And if David Moyes had the money Liverpool have, he would have won the treble I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There you have it, hamstring issues.

And if David Moyes had the money Liverpool have, he would have won the treble I suppose?

No he wouldnt have,Benitez is the best manager in the CL.How anyone can question it is beyond me.His record speaks for itself.

No he wouldnt have,Benitez is the best manager in the CL.How anyone can question it is beyond me.His record speaks for itself.

What was the score tonight?

• Advertisement

Well he's a damned sight better than Fergie that for sure.

Mike.

Surely the real question is, what would the score have been tonight if Benitez was managing Chelsea, and Avram Grant was managing Liverpool..........??

what would the score have been if risse hadnt given a goal away and and our penalty had been awarded.

On a side not Avram Grants holocaust story was touching,just touching!
    That lad is a grade A Toad!

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

LOL. The fact Fergie's in the final suggests otherwise.
    spockety wrote:
    Surely the real question is, what would the score have been tonight if Benitez was managing Chelsea, and Avram Grant was managing Liverpool..........??

You could do hypotheticals all day. Where would Everton and Liverpool be in the league if Moyes had Liverpool's funds and Benitez had Everton's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Stekelly wrote: »
    There you have it, hamstring issues.
    Good reason then. :)

Don't feed Mr.Nice Guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Carlo Ancelotti is the best CL manager BTW

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Right here is my assessment of players that will more than likely leave in the summer:

Riise: hasn't been good in a while. Say we should get 5-6 Million for him.
    Crouch: Seems like he is well out of favour. 10-12 Million
    Kewell: Gone either way this summer. 0 Million
    Voronin: Hasn't done all that much. 4-5 Million (If we are lucky).

Don't know who else to sell but if I had to I would get rid of:

Pennant: I don't see him being a big part of the club but he could prove me wrong. 8 Million maybe.

Thats roughly 30 Mill in the kitty.
    If the 16 Mill prices for Villa are true then Rafa should snap him up. Leaving 14 Mill for Bentley and then if the owners throw in 20-30 Mill we can buy a top class Winger and cover for LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mike.

Crazy talk... just plain crazy.:eek:

You could do hypotheticals all day. Where would Everton and Liverpool be in the league if Moyes had Liverpool's funds and Benitez had Everton's?

mate,are you on the sauce?

fergies chamions league record is muck compared to benitez.your clueless or drunk.Probably both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I haven't read any of the above since about five this evening. But, i cannot believe Rafa took off Torres. Unless he's injured, surely kuyt shoud have come off.
    Anybody see the coincidence in last week when Aurelio came off injured, on came Riise to score the og. Tonight, Skrtel came off to be replaced with Hyppia who gave away the penalty!!!
    Anyway, we should have had a penalty when Hyppia was brought down and the first goal was possibly offside. But that's football. Let's not go on like Arsenal fans and Wenger. Overall, Chelsea took their chances.
    There is no way though that i am watching the final. I will not get any satisfaction, entertainment or enjoyment from that match.
    In saying that, hope Chelsea do the double.

• Advertisement

How many Euro finals has Fergie got Utd to in his 20 years?

Mike.

Well the league is currently ordered in the exact same way as the order of how rich the clubs are. Maybe managers don't even come into the equation :D

fergies chamions league record is muck compared to benitez.your clueless or drunk.Probably both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem_argument

Sir Alex, unlike Benitez, has had league title challenges to worry about.

How many Euro finals has Fergie got Utd to in his 19 years?

Mike.

How many titles has Fergie won? It's easier to concentrate on Europe when you're out of the domestic race.

Ok we get it, Alex Ferguson trumps Benitez. Points well made. Please now vacate the thread.

*uncrosses fingers*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gutted

dont know where to start...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What has Fergie got to do with tonights game..?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dub13 wrote: »
    What has Fergie got to do with tonights game..?

He was at it :p

nothing,Mr Nice guy is just being a dick,Maybe his small club can win the final and get to 1/100th of our clubs history.no doubt abramovich will have rigged the final.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    He was at it :p

So was my mate Keith.....but nobody is talking about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Right here is my assessment of players that will more than likely leave in the summer:
    Riise: hasn't been good in a while. Say we should get 5-6 Million for him.
    Crouch: Seems like he is well out of favour. 10-12 Million
    Kewell: Gone either way this summer. 0 Million
    Voronin: Hasn't done all that much. 4-5 Million (If we are lucky).
    To be honest, I don't see us getting anything like those fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Gutted tonight:mad:
    Champions League comes down to performance on the night and Benitez has done well. As a 'pool supporter myself I can't honestly say Rafa is better than Fergie, Fergie has done consistantly better in the league. How many times have we beat Man Utd since Rafa arrived? I want Rafa to stay, but lets be honest he's yet to get what we really want and Fergie has.

As regards players he's bought, for every good one there's been a bad one imo. He tries to build a good squad to challenge for the league, but where are we relative to United. Sure they have spent slighlty more than us in recent years, but I don't begrudge that. They earned their money through success, breeding some quality youngsters who did the business for them and now they reap the rewards. Unlike Chelsea who are the personification of everything thats wrong with football.

Shamrok wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't see us getting anything like those fees.

Well how much would we get for them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well we can be positive about tonight ... 2 Goals at the bridge .. :D

What I would say about Benitez in his defence, the players he has do give their all for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Keith hasn't a hope of of winning the Champions League!!!!

Have to say, it's people like Mr Nice Guy who make me hope for a Chelsea double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Benitez has been at Liverpool for four seasons:

Winner
    2nd Round
    Runner Up
    Semi Final

In all of Ferguson's time with Utd and taking into account the significantly higher shots he has had at the competition, he has managed one win and one final appearance - which Utd could very well win.

2 / 4 is better than 2 / 12 I think you can agree, yes?

But whatever, hopefully you can go away and expend your retarded comments elsewhere kthxbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

what would the score have been if risse hadnt given a goal away and and our penalty had been awarded.

A toad that has a damn better chance of silverware this year then liverpool fc :rolleyes:
    Have to say the way benitez has handled crouch this season is a bloody disgrace,the brilliance of torres has covered up some mayor cracks in this team :mad:

decies wrote: »
    Have to say the way benitez has handled crouch this season is a bloody disgrace,the brilliance of torres has covered up some mayor cracks in this team :mad:

If he does not rate Crouch what can you do we have to go along with his vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

10-12 Million for Crouch :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

A toad that has a damn better chance of silverware this year then liverpool fc :rolleyes:

mmm where would utd be with the brilliance of Ronaldo...anyway do you think we woud have signed Torres if Benitez wasnt the manager??

Grant had most of them players handed to him this season (weren't they league winners a couple of seasons ago??)

cson wrote: »
    10-12 Million for Crouch :eek:

Well if Bent can go for 16 Mill then I think Crouch could get us easily 10!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Bitterly disappointed.

Thought for a brief minute after babel got that goal that this could be another liverpool legandary night, but you cant win them all.

Sickning that both United and Chelsea are there, I wish both teams could lose. Even if it was a another euro team I could be up for somebody.
    Id rather Chelsea win though now.

Well, season over, look forward to the Euros now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Riise: 3-4 Million
    Crouch: 6-9 Million
    Kewell: 0 Million
    Voronin: 1.5 Million (If we are lucky)
    Pennant: 6 Million
    Carson: 5 Million

22 million generated maybe plus 35 million fund hopefully

17 million for Silva leaves 40 million that would do us good, then need a right and left back (depending on whether Insua will feature), a backup winger and back up striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fairplay lads, ye came close yet again... F*cking lucky feckers or what!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Riise: 3-4 Million
    Crouch: 6-9 Million
    Kewell: 0 Million
    Voronin: 1.5 Million (If we are lucky)
    Pennant: 6 Million
    Carson: 5 Million

22 million generated maybe plus 35 million fund hopefully

17 million for Silva leaves 40 million that would do us good, then need a right and left back (depending on whether Insua will feature), a backup winger and back up striker

I'd like to see the following players leave:

Riise
    Pennant
    Alonso
    Crouch
    Voronin
    Arbeloa or Finnan
    Hyppia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Benitez has been at Liverpool for four seasons:

Winner
    2nd Round
    Runner Up
    Semi Final

In all of Ferguson's time with Utd and taking into account the significantly higher shots he has had at the competition, he has managed one win and one final appearance - which Utd could very well win.

2 / 4 is better than 2 / 12 I think you can agree, yes?

But whatever, hopefully you can go away and expend your retarded comments elsewhere kthxbye.

Last four years Premier League-An indication of overall strength:

Man Utd
    3rd
    2nd
    1st
    1/2

Pool
    5th
    3rd
    3rd
    4th

As an earlier poster said its easier to play in a one of competition if your not competing in the league. We should stop these delude arguments, if I could have had fergie the past 15 years I take it-he's built 3 great teams whilst we've regressed in the league. Rafa's a great manager too, he may win the league in the next couple of years but until he does I think we should shut up and accept that fergie's a damn good coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mada999 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the following players leave:

Riise
    Pennant
    Alonso
    Crouch
    Voronin
    Arbeloa or Finnan
    Hyppia

forgot about Alonso, dont want him to leave but i reckon he will, should generate 10million.

Arbeloa is a good player, and we wont get any money for Sami or Finnan.

relax man,the toad is a toad,simple as.he has fluked a result.chelski will be gone in a few years ,they will be the next leeds.lol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement