Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I want Riise out. Absolutely had enough of him. I blame him pretty much entirely for drogba's first, he stayed with an already marked man, and ignored drogba behind him, even before the first shot was played. Drogba clearly saw Riise paying no attention to him and drifted away and to the right of him giving him a great chance of a rebound, which he got, and buried. Pepe should maybe have done better at his near post, but i think Riise's position unsighted him. A bit later you can see him on the big screen smiling and joking with the groundstaff before he takes a throw - which i know is no big deal but just really bugged me after the OG and the first goal. THEN, for Drogba's second, and as it turned out the clincher, he tracked him, raised his arm and let him go, and then tried to go after...PLAY THE WHISTLE!! He's been a great servent to the club but his time has come, his committment just doesn't look to be there, and i just want him out.

On a positive note, I think Babel has a great future ahead of him. Currently consistently delivers from the bench and with time should be able to give these displays over 80 or 90 mins instead of the final 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

themont85 wrote: »
    Last four years Premier League-An indication of overall strength:

Man Utd
    3rd
    2nd
    1st
    1/2

Pool
    5th
    3rd
    3rd
    4th

As an earlier poster said its easier to play in a one of competition if your not competing in the league. We should stop these delude arguments, if I could have had fergie the past 15 years I take it-he's built 3 great teams whilst we've regressed in the league. Rafa's a great manager too, he may win the league in the next couple of years but until he does I think we should shut up and accept that fergie's a damn good coach.

**** overall strength. I'm not questioning Ferguson's credentials in the league. But he has stumbled in Europe on many occasions whereas Benitez has been very consistent in that arena thus far. The idiot was questioning that fact - hence my rebuttal. Ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call_me_al wrote: »
    we wont get any money for Sami

He's signed a one year deal.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if Sami stays or leaves we wont get a penny. my point stands i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

themont85 wrote: »
    Last four years Premier League-An indication of overall strength:

Man Utd
    3rd
    2nd
    1st
    1/2

Pool
    5th
    3rd
    3rd
    4th

As an earlier poster said its easier to play in a one of competition if your not competing in the league. We should stop these delude arguments, if I could have had fergie the past 15 years I take it-he's built 3 great teams whilst we've regressed in the league. Rafa's a great manager too, he may win the league in the next couple of years but until he does I think we should shut up and accept that fergie's a damn good coach.
    At last somebody on here speaking sense,am giving benitez 12 months to convince me that he is the man to win the premiership,thats the premiership:mad:
    Now am off to bed good night :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Call_me_al wrote: »
    if Sami stays or leaves we wont get a penny. my point stands i think.

I hope Sami stays at Liverpool even after next year in a non playing capacity.. they should support him through getting his coaching badges and provide a role for him at Liverpool.

Assuming that's what he wants, of course.
    ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

decies wrote: »
    At last somebody on here speaking sense,am giving benitez 12 months to convince me that he is the man to win the premiership,thats the premiership:mad:
    Now am off to bed good night :confused:

You gonna give him a budget to get his squad to the same level as United's and Chelsea's in that time too then?

There are no guarantees in football, and there is no divine right to win the league. It's ridiculously simplistic to demand a championship victory without taking into account there are three other teams better resourced and with top class managers also vying for the title.

If Benitez brings in at LEAST 2 players next season who will have similar impact on the team to Torres and Mascherano, then I will be happy, it will show he can be trusted with the money and is buying the right players when given the resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So what do Liverpool need in order to get their squads up to the level of competing for the treble as United and Chelseas squads currently do? [Taking into account the fact that United this summer will probably fix the weaknesses in our squad of RB and Striker, and maybe another winger, and Chelsea are likely to buy a ****load more players]

IMO Liverpool need to get to that level

In order of priority:

A top class winger
    A top class winger
    A top class striker
    A new first choice LB [Aureilo just isn't good enough]
    *controversial* A new central midfielder to replace Alonso who isn't the player he used to be
    A new 4th choice CB

However to challenge for the league, you don't need the same level as United or Chelsea, as Arsenal clearly don't have that sort of strength in depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

we dont need a new striker,babel is a striker.we need 2 new wingers.and a left back

I dont understand,i cant comprehend.why was babel bought if he is gona play wing????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its the same argument about Cisse ... he was a striker playing a wingers role. He didnt know how to play the wingers role right and has done better since going back France as he is being played in the right position.
    I hope Babels talents are not wasted out on the wing like Cisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

GBX wrote: »
    Its the same argument about Cisse ... he was a striker playing a wingers role. He didnt know how to play the wingers role right and has done better since going back France as he is being played in the right position.
    I hope Babels talents are not wasted out on the wing like Cisse

babel is a far better talent then cisse.

also can anyone tell me why arbeloa is getting in ahead of steve finnan?? i think finnan is much more solider,consistant and puts in better closes the aarbeloa who frankly is quite average imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Benitez has been at Liverpool for four seasons:

Winner
    2nd Round
    Runner Up
    Semi Final

In all of Ferguson's time with Utd and taking into account the significantly higher shots he has had at the competition, he has managed one win and one final appearance - which Utd could very well win.

2 / 4 is better than 2 / 12 I think you can agree, yes?

But whatever, hopefully you can go away and expend your retarded comments elsewhere kthxbye.

Retarded comments?

No 'Lloyd' a retarded comment would be to suggest that Benitez and Ferguson's Champions League record should be compared whilst omitting the fact that Ferguson has had league challenges to worry about unlike Benitez.

A classic example of that could be seen this past weekend where Vidic and Rooney suffered injuries in a crucial league game, whilst Benitez had the luxury of resting players for his Champions League game since he is not in a league challenge.

He still lost though.

I hope you now appreciate being suitably educated on the subject.

scruff321 wrote: »
    babel is a far better talent then cisse.

also can anyone tell me why arbeloa is getting in ahead of steve finnan?? i think finnan is much more solider,consistant and puts in better closes the aarbeloa who frankly is quite average imo

I agree

Personally I think we need:

2 new winger
    2 new sb

then we will be a fore.philip deegan a rb from dortmund has been got on a bosman he obviously aint good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Babel may well be far better than Cisse, im just pointing out our need for a proper winger(s). In fairness to Benitez, he didnt buy Cisse and tried to utilise him as best he saw fit.

GBX wrote: »
    Babel may well be far better than Cisse, im just pointing out our need for a proper winger(s). In fairness to Benitez, he didnt buy Cisse and tried to utilise him as best he saw fit.

yeah but the goon is trying to use him as winger.if thi continues i hope he leaves for his own development.no joke

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    **** overall strength. I'm not questioning Ferguson's credentials in the league. But he has stumbled in Europe on many occasions whereas Benitez has been very consistent in that arena thus far. The idiot was questioning that fact - hence my rebuttal. Ok?

Reported btw.

Reported btw.

your a tos@@r

report that!

you have been trying to wind people up all night!
    crawl back into your hole and hail your support for your small team somewhere else.

i.e the chelski forum.
    Oh no its gone,there was no one talking in it,small club with no fans LOL

you can have your third slice of the cherry,your gona lose anyway.

dc69 wrote: »
    your a tos@@r

report that!

you have been trying to wind people up all night!
    crawl back into your hole and hail your support for your small team somewhere else.

i.e the chelski forum.
    Oh no its gone,there was no one talking in it,small club with no fans LOL

you can have your third slice of the cherry,your gona lose anyway.

Three things I'd like to say...

1. I have reported you because I don't deserve personal abuse (nobody does).

2. I haven't tried to wind people up all night.

3. I'm a Man Utd fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Reported btw.
    :rolleyes:

Anyways. Really gutted after tonight. Not looking forward to this champions league final now at all, but I suppose I want a chelsea win now if for avram grant above all else.

Looking towards next season....I reckon it looks like crouch will be on his way. Was sure he would of come on tonight at some point although who knows what he would of done had torres not got injured.

We definatly need to pick up a good lb/rb in the summer. Riise isnt good enough anymore and I dont rate arbeloa at all. Finnan is just getting old now.

We need a good winger aswell.

If we could pick up David Bently it would be a great buy. Im thinking though Silva is the most likely choice as valencia seem to be in alot of trouble.(can villa play on the wings?...though reckon hell go for crazy money.)

In a perfect world id like to see David Bentley,Silva and What good rb/lb is there at the moment? Glen Johnson maybe?? Also If Crouch is sold we'll need someone there. Santa Cruz would be a good choice but I cant see Blackburn letting either of their two main players go unless its for crazy money. Something I doubt Benitez will have....

The speculation starts now I suppose.

3. I'm a Man Utd fan.

you deserve more than abuse,you are a worm.scum of the earth!

change your name to
    Mr.Bent Guy

you are an attention seeker,your a piece of dirt.I wouldnt clean you off my shoe.

3-I could have guessed!

• Advertisement

dc69, I'm just going to let the mods deal with you. I dont want to be drawn into a slanging match.

I'll simply say what I said in the match thread and that is well done to Liverpool on a battling display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

you deserve more than abuse,you are a worm.scum of the earth!

change your name to
    Mr.Bent Guy

you are an attention seeker,your a piece of dirt.I wouldnt clean you off my shoe.

3-I could have guessed!
    Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

dc69 Banned.

Please remember that saying you reported a post is something which is not looked kindly upon. If you have a problem with a post, report it, don't tell us you've reported it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB wrote: »
    Please remember that saying you reported a post is something which is not looked kindly upon. If you have a problem with a post, report it, don't tell us you've reported it.

Reported!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

jank wrote: »
    Reported!:p

your reported

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

By the way the dc69 is an awfull tool (see holocaust post). I hope he was given an extended leave of absense PHB.

Anyway i kinda find it funny that some posters here want wholesale changes with 5,6,7 + players being sold, many of them bought my Rafa yet defend him to the hilt. What if he just buys in more average players?

I expect lots of **** stiring now in the media about Dubi etc.
    It wouldnt surprise me at all if he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

We were beaten by a side who have the luxry of playing Michael Essien as a right back, simple as that really. A truly detestable club if i've ever witnessed one. We were found out plain and simple, jesus christ Riise and Arbeloa were fukin brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fair play to Chelsea. They were the better team on the night. Drogba, Lampard and Essien were head and shoulders above any Liverpool player. There's no shame in being beaten in the semi-finals of the CL against a team like Chelsea. The lads done the club proud tonight, it just wasnt to be. I wonder has Avram saved his job? I hope so, he's actually quite likeable!

Lots of knee-jerk reactions on here with regards to ins and outs. I really don't think we're that far away from where we need to be, but we'll leave that for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Despite the fact that any outsider expressing a negative opinion towards Liverpool in this thread gets linched I wouldn't mind giving my opinion on the club, where they went wrong and where they need to go etc.

The Club - If it wasn't for Abramovich, Liverpool would firmly be established as the third team in England rather than the fourth. United and Arsenal are superior, no doubt about it. The thing that 'pool are missing for me is a decent youth system like Arsenal's. How many youngsters have been blooded this season really? I'm not talking about the League Cup, I mean in real games just like Song against United etc? Off the top of my head I can't think of one that stands out. Is it because they aren't there or are they just not good enough?

Personally I'd much rather see a hot young prospect given a shot than spend 2 or 3 million on some third rate right or left back from Spain who probably won't settle anyway.

The Manager - As far as I can see, Rafa is the best man for the job. No question about it. There aren't many managers out there with a better record. Ok some of his signings haven't been the best but any man who can attract Fernando Torres to the club has to be worth something. I was honestly shocked when he chose Liverpool, not because they aren't a big club, but because I didn't see the squad being good enough to challenge for the most important silverware this season i.e. the league. But he signed and has been a revelation. He wouldn't have gone near Anfield if it wasn't for Rafa.

The Players - There is a LOT of dead wood in that squad. Players I would want rid of are -
    Riise
    Hyypia
    Crouch
    Pennant
    Finnan
    Kewell
    Benayoun
    Voronin

I'd keep Arbeloa as I think overall he's had a good first full season and is flexible. He's played right back, left back and centre half this season and versatility is important when you don't have massive strength in depth.

I'd let Finnan go purely because he's 32 this year. Too old now and you have to look to the future. Same with Hyypia. Get rid of them and have 1 or 2 quality youngsters (if they exist at the club) to act as first team cover and them the odd start. If Riises goes then I'd keep Aurelio until a better option is bought

Pennant, Benayoun, Kewell, Riise and Voronin have done nothing to show they are capable of being in a title winning squad. Crouch is a limited player and I think the club should take the money and invest it in a player who more so suits their style of play. A mini-Torres if you will.

Who will come in? Well that's anyone's guess at this stage really. The areas that need to be addressed most are (in order of priority) - wingers (x2), full backs (x2) and striker (x1). Babel can take some of the heat up top for now but personally i think he's better in that Henry role as the left sided player in a front three.

Will the money be there though? You won't generate a massive amount from sales, probably only enough to get two of the five players I think you require. The rest will be up to the board.

Speaking from my own club's experience, I really think Liverpool need to sort out the youth system. What happened to all the players who won the FA Youth Cup two years ago? Surely they all couldn't have been duds.

I read a comment in the other thread about ideal signings where a pool fan said he'd most like to sign Micah Richards. Well where's the Liverpool version? Is there one in the academy? If not then why not? That for me is something that needs to be addressed.

Anyway, that's my 50 cents worth, bring on the linching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Despite the fact that any outsider expressing a negative opinion towards Liverpool in this thread gets linched I wouldn't mind giving my opinion on the club, where they went wrong and where they need to go etc.

[...]

I think that's an excellent post, very considered. I'm not sure about the lynching thing, but the internet does attract smug trollish gloaters. Maybe it's the same in real-life but it just doesn't work anonymously. I had neutral mates over to watch it - they brought Chelsea jerseys but that's just a bit of craic. And there was no rubbing it in. I also have a Barca jersey in the wardrobe that I would have been wearing last night.

Anyway brilliant post. There are some parallels with your club being taken out of the locals' control too. I hope the Sven thing gets sorted out sensibly.

As for the youth players, I've heard that one of the reasons Rafa has such support through unsuccessful seasons (English league-wise) is that the locals can see what he's doing with the youth system. That he's trying to do a WEnger. Will the next player to make the step up be an imported whizz kid (like Fabregas) or a local whizz (Fowler, Owen, Rooney, Gerrard, Carra)? Probably imported because there's just unlikely to be that much talent about. The game has changed but a manager like Rafa can read the modern scientific game. I agree fully with your analysis of the dead wood too, but there's a lot less of it than there was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Apologies to PHB, reported a few of Dc69 or whatever his name is posts before i saw he had been banned, and about time if i may say so? his comment about the holocaust shows his character.....not to mention all the personal abuse

ok, on to football, didnt watch the whole game, it would be too painful haha, but from what i saw Chelsea were very solid again and good value for their victory, Gerrard didnt turn up again, it cost you. Id have loved a United-Liverpool final. Well played anyway though, never gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Mascherano being so quiet was the main problem as I see it. More and more he sets the tone for us, but last night after about 10minutes I was thinking 'Where is he?' He just wasn't his usual self, snapping at the heels, closing down, doing what Carlitos did for Utd. the night before. As Claude and Gerrard more or less cancelled each other out, the battle between Masch and Alonso v Ballack and Lampard was crucial - in a tight enough game Ballack and Lampard came out on top, as a result Chelsea got more attacking ball and more chances, and fair play took them. On another night our defending might have been better - Riise could have closed down a bit better for the first if he was a) faster, or b) tried harder and fior the second Drogba goal did Carragher and Hyypia get into each others way? But all in all we were beaten by a better team on the night.

The not being at Anfield factor was bigger than I expected - we didn't sem to have the urgency. Considerignm it was 1-1 with about 20mins to go in normal time, it should have been remarkably tense as a goal for either could have won it, but it wasn't, seemed like they were both playing for extra time. Don't think this would have happened at Anfield, we would have kept the tempo up more after scoring. I just don't think we were up for it as we should have been.

Not as disappointed as usual for some reason. Maybe it's because we've had 3 great runs in 4 years. Maybe because the thoughts of losing to Utd would have made the build-up and the match unbearable. And the added bonus that Grant did something Mourinho couldn't do with Chelsea.

In regards to personnel changes - I'd go along with Xavi's obvious ones above but add in Alonso and Carragher. Alonso just doesn't seem to have the pace and can't seem to play his way back into form. I see Gerrard and Masch as the better prospect anyway for a midfield 2. And Carragher seems to be playing like a fellow 3 years older - still a very good defender but nowhere near as good as he was, so maybe just get rid now rather than having to drop him next year for Agger and Skrtle. Real potential for problems when you have to drop one of the star players and I can't imagine Carra being happy to be on the bench, as he will feel 3 years too young for that.

Arbeloa's got a bit of criticism after last night and he did give the ball away a lot at the end, but there was a frantic period when the rain was as it worst and no one could control the ball, and on at least 2 occasions he controlled 2 difficult balls incredibly - I think he'll get better abnd better.

A lot of surprise that Kuyt was kept on for the game. A weakness of Benitex that SAF and Wenger don't have - he is jaundiced about certain players, e.g. he loves Kuyt for his workrate and fitness, therefore in a 120 min ganme you are always going to keep on this type of player - last man standing might score a goal. So most of us would have him on for 0 mins but for Rafa it's 120. Similarly he doesn't liek crouch, theerfore he was never in the plans. For his own sake Crouch has to go.

Next year:

Reina

NEW
    Agger
    Skrtle
    Arbeloa

NEW
    Gerrard
    Masch
    Babel (if works out as a winger)

NEW
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Benitez is the best manager in the CL.How anyone can question it is beyond me.His record speaks for itself.
    Since we won the Champions League in 2005 the English media have spent their time devaluing the competition. Wait and see the headlines regardless of who wins in Moscow. It will be promoted back to the status of Greatest Club Competition in The World.

We ran Chelsea close despite conceding a heartbreaking own goal in the first leg and a frustrating penalty in the second. For long stretches of the game last night we really weren't at the races at all.

Hopefully the boardroom situation can be resolved over the summer and we can concentrate on getting some more top-class signings in and maybe, just maybe, a start can be made on building the new stadium (yeah, I know, I'm dreaming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fair play to Chelsea.

I do this in bullet points so as i dont get to long winded!

riise has to go.

unlucky to have skrtl injured.

drogba had an excellent game without prancing around on the floor.

whoever said sell carragher is clueless.

Arbeloa had his worst game for liverpool, but has been an excellent acquisition, bit harsh to write him off.

rafa is the right man to manage liverpool, for confirmation see post match interview. I'd rather wait 10 years to win the PL under him, than win it in 2 under Jose.

Torres had a poor game but still got a goal, says something about the player.

Alonso seems to haveforgotten that opposition players try and take the ball off you and will not give you all the time you want.

Silly tackle from Hypia.

Cech is not the goalie he used to be.

*and by the way, can we just knock the "lucky liverpool thing" on the head for good please, 3 decent peno shouts over two legs, 2 stonewall, Kalou possible offside, their goal in anfield being an OG, us not getting the corner that would've ended the game-instead they gotta goal kick-scored 30 secs later, 1 minute injury time last night (3 subs?3 goals including Lapard and Drogs looooooong celebrations)*

*i am not moaning, thems the breaks, but just shows all teams have decisions go for and against em, hard as it is sometimes, just gotta take that. but labelling us lucky does annoy me.

Also i'd just like to say that i think that its a ****ing disgrace that Rafa Benitez has to justify the subs he makes for "sky sports" to give them some sort of seal of approval. He told them in the interview that torres had a problem with his hamstring and needed to come off, they then proceeded to say "well why didnt they just leave him on?!" fukcin clueless! and made all the funnier considering the player who replaced him scored a ****ing goal.

anyway, onwards and upwards, resolve the bigger issues at the club, and start planning for next year. heres hoping for a chelsea double. gonna book a weeks holiday today, couldnt stand being around Dublin for a Chelsea-United final.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    gonna book a weeks holiday today, couldnt stand being around Dublin for a Chelsea-United final.

ROFL come join me over this side of the world. The game's on at such an hour that you can sleep right through it. The quarter-page coverage it gets in the sports pages is easy to avoid too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fair play to Chelsea. They were the better team on the night. Drogba, Lampard and Essien were head and shoulders above any Liverpool player. There's no shame in being beaten in the semi-finals of the CL against a team like Chelsea. The lads done the club proud tonight, it just wasnt to be. I wonder has Avram saved his job? I hope so, he's actually quite likeable!

Lots of knee-jerk reactions on here with regards to ins and outs. I really don't think we're that far away from where we need to be, but we'll leave that for another day.

an excellent post, despite the pain i feel today, we are no better a team or worse a team than before we lost to chelsea.

I had a bad feeling about it, and they owed us one, and the penalty luck against arsenal evened itself out last night as these things invariably do.

WE do need to move some players on who, despite being excellent servants, are now stale at LFC, but i dont think wholesale changes are required, 3 top quality signings will make a big difference.

I think we would have seen crouch if rafa had three discretionary subs, but he was forced to use one early and in many ways it was the injury to skirtel which changed the game.

Anway, well down lads, another rollercoaster CL campaign, ye did LFC proud.

Rafa Benitez is absolutely the man to take us forward, never has a foreigner become some immersed in a clubs tradition and way, he can create a great team at anfield i believe but he has to be backed and given at least 2 more years.

And well done frank lampard, tough for him, he showed great mental strength.

I reckon united to win EPL and i have a sneaking feeling chelsea for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Torres showed last night why i am so gutted United didn't get him in 2006. He didn't have a great game, but his goal was brilliantly taken - one touch to ge the ball out from his feet and then bang into the corner - brilliant. I wish United had a striker that could finish like that.

bit expensive Xavi, had money set aside for a moscow expedition but i suppose i'll just hang onto that and throw it into next seasons match going funds.

Aus = too far.

going somewhere cheap and hot (or where the women are cheap and hot, whichever is handier)

The Club - If it wasn't for Abramovich, Liverpool would firmly be established as the third team in England rather than the fourth. United and Arsenal are superior, no doubt about it. The thing that 'pool are missing for me is a decent youth system like Arsenal's. How many youngsters have been blooded this season really? I'm not talking about the League Cup, I mean in real games just like Song against United etc? Off the top of my head I can't think of one that stands out. Is it because they aren't there or are they just not good enough?

Personally I'd much rather see a hot young prospect given a shot than spend 2 or 3 million on some third rate right or left back from Spain who probably won't settle anyway.

The Manager - As far as I can see, Rafa is the best man for the job. No question about it. There aren't many managers out there with a better record. Ok some of his signings haven't been the best but any man who can attract Fernando Torres to the club has to be worth something. I was honestly shocked when he chose Liverpool, not because they aren't a big club, but because I didn't see the squad being good enough to challenge for the most important silverware this season i.e. the league. But he signed and has been a revelation. He wouldn't have gone near Anfield if it wasn't for Rafa.

The Players - There is a LOT of dead wood in that squad. Players I would want rid of are -
    Riise
    Hyypia
    Crouch
    Pennant
    Finnan
    Kewell
    Benayoun
    Voronin

I'd keep Arbeloa as I think overall he's had a good first full season and is flexible. He's played right back, left back and centre half this season and versatility is important when you don't have massive strength in depth.

I'd let Finnan go purely because he's 32 this year. Too old now and you have to look to the future. Same with Hyypia. Get rid of them and have 1 or 2 quality youngsters (if they exist at the club) to act as first team cover and them the odd start. If Riises goes then I'd keep Aurelio until a better option is bought

Pennant, Benayoun, Kewell, Riise and Voronin have done nothing to show they are capable of being in a title winning squad. Crouch is a limited player and I think the club should take the money and invest it in a player who more so suits their style of play. A mini-Torres if you will.

Who will come in? Well that's anyone's guess at this stage really. The areas that need to be addressed most are (in order of priority) - wingers (x2), full backs (x2) and striker (x1). Babel can take some of the heat up top for now but personally i think he's better in that Henry role as the left sided player in a front three.

Will the money be there though? You won't generate a massive amount from sales, probably only enough to get two of the five players I think you require. The rest will be up to the board.

Speaking from my own club's experience, I really think Liverpool need to sort out the youth system. What happened to all the players who won the FA Youth Cup two years ago? Surely they all couldn't have been duds.

I read a comment in the other thread about ideal signings where a pool fan said he'd most like to sign Micah Richards. Well where's the Liverpool version? Is there one in the academy? If not then why not? That for me is something that needs to be addressed.

another good and well reasoned post.

one point i would make, and i made this at the start of the season, if we finish within 10 points of the team that wins the league (we are currently 11 behind) then that is tangible improvement, last season we were 21 points behind at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

exactly, also worth noting points dropped at Birmingham with a weakened team ;)

every cloud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bit expensive Tauren, had money set aside for a moscow expedition but i suppose i'll just hang onto that and throw it into next seasons match going funds.

Aus = too far.

going somewhere cheap and hot (or where the women are cheap and hot, whichever is handier)
    i was very confused til i saw Aus....

Tauren wrote: »
    i was very confused til i saw Aus....

sorry, should have been for Xavi!

bit expensive Xavi, had money set aside for a moscow expedition but i suppose i'll just hang onto that and throw it into next seasons match going funds.

Aus = too far.

I hear Cork is nice this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Haven't read anything over the last few pages.

Sure I'm disappointed Liverpool lost, but on the balance of the last few years, and this years campaign, I think things like penalties and offsides have probably evened out, and I wouldn't begrudge Chelsea the win.

The season is over now, and I hope the assessment of the squad and how we performed will result in improvement in key positions for next season :)

Well done Rafa and the players, thats 3 semi finals in 4 years, with basically 2 different teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Man i feel sick today.
    Ultimately chelsea overpowered us for large parts of the match in midfield. Mascherano was not his usual self, I think it was because chelsea were playing deep in midfield and he didnt know whether to play further up or sit and cover Hyypia, and i think he got caught in no mans land bit too often.
    I was devastated when Yossi was hauled off. For 10mins before 'Nandos goal he was our best player, running from wing and inside always looking for the ball

Ah im just gonna leave it, going on a rant to explain where i thought we lost it is pointless as none of us, me included want to read it.

Still a proud red, and always will be. There will be another day and another big match to beat them some other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The thing that 'pool are missing for me is a decent youth system like Arsenal's.

That's something Rafa has finally gotten his hands on and is overhauling. There's been a lot of internal politics around it for years now with neither Houlier nor Rafa seeming to agree with the way Heighway was running the academy/them having no input whatsoever into it. Rafa has bought in some great prospects for the future and hopefully a few of them will work out but I think it'll be a couple of years before we can expect to start to see players coming through from it.

It's one thing locals are p1ssed with too - him buying so many players into the youth/reserve teams as it's always been the way for locals to make it into the team. But if the quality isn't there atm then stuff what the locals think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

3. I'm a Man Utd fan.

You are now on my ignore list. Your posts are a waste of peoples time. To everyone else, you can add any poster to this list by clicking the link in a posters public profile.

its not on united fans coming into the thread to wind people up after an emotional game like that.

fair enough have your say in the match thread but it seems this thread has become somewhere for united fans to talk down liverpool, to tell us what we need and what is wrong with our team.

i havent a notion of ever posting in the united thread, you know why, the only time i care about them is when we are playing them.

maybe some dont agree with me? but thats my opinion on the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Just everyone calm down,although there was also a lot of Pool fans who were annoying on United thread all the time,so it seems we are same in here,but no need to overreact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Cyrus wrote: »
    its not on united fans coming into the thread to wind people up after an emotional game like that.

fair enough have your say in the match thread but it seems this thread has become somewhere for united fans to talk down liverpool, to tell us what we need and what is wrong with our team.

i havent a notion of ever posting in the united thread, you know why, the only time i care about them is when we are playing them.

maybe some dont agree with me? but thats my opinion on the whole thing.

The thread is called "Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008".It is for everyone to discuss Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement