Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Dunno?? Sir Alex Ferguson????

I'm joking. Maybe Frank Rijkaard????
    Rijkaard? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rjikard = Defo not the man for Liverpool.

What would be the reaction of here if a certain Mr.Mourinho was to take the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

are you taking the piss? after the way he went on with us? no ****ing chance, anfield would revolt. some things are more important than winning titles, and the character of the club is definately that. he does not have the class to be associated with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are you taking the piss? after the way he went on with us? no ****ing chance, anfield would revolt.

Then in true football fan fickle world, he would be a god amongst Liverpool fans a few months later

i really dont think so, i'm sure it would subside somewhat, but i cant see an owner/chief executive brave enough to deal with the initial backlash anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maureen (with Pako) would objectivly be a great choice, subjectivly he'd be terrible until he won something. Either way it not likely.

DIC have made it known they won't get rid of Rafa and they will own the club by next season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

mike65 wrote: »
    Maureen (with Pako) would objectivly be a great choice, subjectivly he'd be terrible until he won something. Either way it not likely.

DIC have made it known they won't get rid of Rafa and they will own the club by next season.

Mike.

We will see...........! I can't friggin wait for the "silly season" to start again. I;m gonna get killed for saying this, but until Liverpool mount a serious challenge for the league, we are only going to be able to sign 2nd rate players. The only real TOP CLASS players we have in our team(that Rafa has signed) are Torres & Babel.

(Patiently awaits the abuse).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Don't forget the reserves won their league this year and there looks to be some real talent coming through - Plessis, Nemeth, Insua for a start. Not to mention the likes of Guthrie, Anderson and Hobbs that are out on loan and the likes of Torres, Mascherano and Škrtel who themselves aren't even 25.

But sure, let's get rid of Rafa and bring in Rijkaard. He's well able to beat Man Utd isn't he? Knee-jerk reactions have never been the solution, Liverpool FC is not Newcastle Utd! The top two teams in England in recent years have a few things in common. One of the most important being managerial stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

anfield would revolt.
    Anfield is already revolting. :pac:

We will see...........! I can't friggin wait for the "silly season" to start again. I;m gonna get killed for saying this, but until Liverpool mount a serious challenge for the league, we are only going to be able to sign 2nd rate players. The only real TOP CLASS players we have in our team(that Rafa has signed) are Torres & Babel.

(Patiently awaits the abuse).
    :confused:So what are Reina and Mascherano for a start? Then what about Agger and Škrtel?

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    Don't forget the reserves won their league this year and there looks to be some real talent coming through - Plessis, Nemeth, Insua for a start. Not to mention the likes of Guthrie, Anderson and Hobbs that are out on loan and the likes of Torres, Mascherano and Škrtel who themselves aren't even 25.

But sure, let's get rid of Rafa and bring in Rijkaard. He's well able to beat Man Utd isn't he? Knee-jerk reactions have never been the solution, Liverpool FC is not Newcastle Utd! The top two teams in England in recent years have a few things in common. One of the most important being managerial stability.

I bet those players that you've mentioned will end up playing a s**tload of games for the reserves, before being eventually sold off, while Rafa(or whoever is in charge?)looks around for better talent......?

:confused:So what are Reina and Mascherano for a start? Then what about Agger and Škrtel?

Ok. There's two more. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I bet those players that you've mentioned will end up playing a s**tload of games for the reserves, before being eventually sold off, while Rafa(or whoever is in charge?)looks around for better talent......?

Uhhhh...not sure if I agree with you there. At18, Insua played a few games at the end of last season. He came on against Birmingham last weekend and played brilliantly. The lads only 19. He's an Argentinian under 20 I believe.

Plessis is about the same age and has started two games this season and had huge performances in both...and he only arrived last summer and is only 20!

Lucas started on the reserves last August.

In the past two years, many of the player he has signed at underage level have had interest from the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real, Barca, Inter, Juve, etc. When you buy all these starlet, some aren't going to make it through to the first team (e.g. Palletta), but a few will make the cut and progress nicely (Insua, Plessis, Lucas)

Ok. There's two more. Fair enough.
    Which two? As for more players, how about Morientes? Every Liverpool fan was delighted when he was signed. Robbie Fowler? He wasn't nicknamed God for nothing.
    I imagine Guthrie will be sold to Bolton and I doubt Hobbs will make it at Liverpool either. We are quite well stocked at centre back and centre midfield. I fully expect Nemeth to do well though. Wait for Pighead to pick that up as a quote sometime in 2010 :).

Which two? As for more players, how about Morientes? Every Liverpool fan was delighted when he was signed. Robbie Fowler? He wasn't nicknamed God for nothing.

I imagine Guthrie will be sold to Bolton and I doubt Hobbs will make it at Liverpool either. We are quite well stocked at centre back and centre midfield. I fully expect Nemeth to do well though. Wait for Pighead to pick that up as a quote sometime in 2010 :).

When Robbie Fowler came back to Liverpool he was waaaaaay past his sell by date. Even I would've done better than him, and I can't f**kin walk!!!! :D

Just for media watchers
    A thrilling Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Liverpool pulled in a bumper audience for Sky Sports 2 last night, Wednesday April 30.

The audience peaked at 3.7 million viewers and 17% of multichannel homes between 9.15pm and 9.30pm as normal time drew to a close.

Sky's coverage of Chelsea's 3-2 win, which sent them into the first all-English final against Manchester United later this month, averaged an audience of 2.8 million and a 14% share between 7pm and 10.15pm, according to unofficial overnight ratings.

Sky said the match-time average of 3.3 million viewers made it Sky Sports' fifth highest ever audience and its record for a Champions League match.

and

RTE figures

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

some things are more important than winning titles

for a football club and professional players there is nothing more importent then winning titles. nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Jesus.

Is it just me, or has this thread turned into one almighty bitchfest!!??? We lost the game, get over it. We just are not good enough. And unlike others, I don't think Rafa is the man to bring us the Premiership title......? Since he took over, we have not finished any closer to the big three. Houllier was the only manager to get anywhere close to winning the league, when we finished 2nd behind Arsenal. If Rafa fails to get closer to top spot next season, he should be shown the door.

This simply has to be a joke?? Or else hideously misinformed.

In Rafa's 3 full league campaigns, Liverpool HAVE been one of the 'big three' for two of those seasons, assuming you count league position as the decider in that one. We have finished ahead of Arsenal twice now since he took over.

He also brought Liverpool their highest league tally in history with 82 points, something Houllier never managed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

PHB wrote: »
    Hey, this has nothing to do with me being a mod, I've been de-bunking Liverpool myths since long before I was a mod on the forum.

You call it debunking, most other people call it talkin complete rubbish.
    :D

When Robbie Fowler came back to Liverpool he was waaaaaay past his sell by date.
    I don't agree with that at all. According to the stats for 2006-2007 he scored a respectable 8 goals in 29 games. Then imagine what having him around the club will have done for the younger strikers? Also, I can recall at least two wrongly-disallowed goals for him which would have gotten him into double figures for the season with a 1 in 3 ratio (roughly). Hardly past his sell by date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

spockety wrote: »
    This simply has to be a joke?? Or else hideously misinformed.

In Rafa's 3 full league campaigns, Liverpool HAVE been one of the 'big three' for two of those seasons, assuming you count league position as the decider in that one. We have finished ahead of Arsenal twice now since he took over.

He also brought Liverpool their highest league tally in history with 82 points, something Houllier never managed.

this lad has a habit of coming in here and making stupid statements like this, i doubt he actually is a liverpool fan, more like a troll imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

but until Liverpool mount a serious challenge for the league, we are only going to be able to sign 2nd rate players.

Thats not true. CL participation and CL success (and money of course) is what attracts players to a club. Yes, winning trophies as well, and a dmoestic league would help, but the CL is the baramoter. Players, many of which have huge egos, also like to be worshipped by fans, and they also want play time, and they also like to live in the place, the city, etc, and even the weather. Many Brazillians avoid england because its cold in winter (although Italy can also get cold) and the players can under-perform, etc. Its also easier for some to learn the latin based language.

Also, finishing 3rd/4th etc is a serious title challenge. The key for player attraction is CL qualification, and we definitely have that. Then its doing well in the CL and we have that in spades, the most succesful in England up until now. I hope this years english success isnt a start of a run of wins by Man Utd/Chelsea. That will make it even more difficult to compete with them.

Redspider

redspider wrote: »

Also, finishing 3rd/4th etc is a serious title challenge.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Liverpool challenged for the League this season.

Absolutely laughable.

Laughable.

DesF wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that Liverpool challenged for the League this season.

Absolutely laughable.

Laughable.

Seriously Des how do you really feel on the subject? :D

Absolutely laughable.

Laughable.

is that laughable twice or just once with added effect

are you laughing like a super villan now?

liverpool did challenge for the title from august to dec, and mounted a bigger challenge than the 16 clubs that will finish behind them.

yet again more non liverpool fans coming in here to antagonise, nice one

Cyrus wrote: »
    liverpool did challenge for the title from august to dec,
    er...what?

The title is played out over 38 games. From August to May. No medals for being third in December.

After those 36 of those 38 games only two teams are seriously challenging, Arsenal could conceivabley still do it, but after this weekend, their challenge will be over I'd say.

No, Liverpool didn't mount a serious challenge at all this season.

They'll finish the season closer to fifth than third.

I'm not trying to antagonise, I'm just trying to debunk a myth, before it starts, that finishing third or fourth in the league is a significant title challenge.

(Unless there are only a couple of points between the teams, of course, which ISN'T the case this year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This thread gets better every day.

ul liverpool / gg chelsea

er...what?

The title is played out over 38 games. From August to May. No medals for being third in December.

After those 36 of those 38 games only two teams are seriously challenging, Arsenal could conceivabley still do it, but after this weekend, their challenge will be over I'd say.

No, Liverpool didn't mount a serious challenge at all this season.

They'll finish the season closer to fifth than third.

I'm not trying to antagonise, I'm just trying to debunk a myth, before it starts, that finishing third or fourth in the league is a significant title challenge.

(Unless there are only a couple of points between the teams, of course, which ISN'T the case this year).

another myth debunker :rolleyes:

why dont you go tell kids that santa doesnt exist or something

why dont you go tell kids that santa doesnt exist or something
    Because kids are allowed to live in fantasy land.

OK, here you go.

- being within touching distance of the eventual winners, in december, but then falling behind to not being in contention by May is to be considered a serious title challenge. FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Des - you are becoming a parody of yourself.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Because kids are allowed to live in fantasy land.

OK, here you go.

- being within touching distance of the eventual winners, in december, but then falling behind to not being in contention by May is to be considered a serious title challenge. FACT.

oh it must be true you put fact in capitals at the end

im sorry :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

being within touching distance of the eventual winners, in december, but then falling behind to not being in contention by May is to be considered a serious title challenge. FACT.

Bit of a contradiction there DesF

oh it must be true you put fact in capitals at the end

im sorry :rolleyes:
    dardoz wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there DesF
    *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liverpool challenged for the title as much as City did this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

*sigh*

to be honest, i'm shocked - i though what you were saying and meaning was obvious...

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    to be honest, i'm shocked - i though what you were saying and meaning was obvious...
    yeah but....

Can we get this thread off junk bond posting and on to something of substance like the clubs future? Or even the man City game?

I hope he starts with a strong side even if its a largely meaningless match then brings on three youngsters for the last 30 mins.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dunne will be back for City. No Richards yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I hope he starts with a strong side even if its a largely meaningless match then brings on three youngsters for the last 30 mins.

Mike.

I'd say he could very well do that as it will be the last home game of the season. Players doing a lap of the pitch afterwards and all that.

Cant believe the season is just about over - thank god for Euro 2008 to keep our interests.

And in other news DIC SAVE OUR CLUB:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think this thread should probably be moved to a more appropriate forum, such as:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1042

or:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=827

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    I think this thread should probably be moved to a more appropriate forum, such as:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1042

or:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=827

yeah or maybe all the anti lfc heads would go and discuss their own clubs somewhere else so we wouldnt have to retort all the time

its getting boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can we get this thread off junk bond posting and on to something of substance like the clubs future? Or even the man City game?

Mike.

He might have a stong team out for the game since its the last home game, but i would like to start with some of the reserve team just to see how good they are, and dumb found that Andy Gray even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

yeah or maybe all the anti lfc heads would go and discuss their own clubs somewhere else so we wouldnt have to retort all the time

And maybe people would learn to not feed people they consider trolls.
    He might have a stong team out for the game since its the last home game, but i would like to start with some of the reserve team just to see how good they are,

Me too. I'd like to see a good percentage of experienced players, at least 2 thirds of the team, and start a few players like Insua, Plessias, Nemeth and maybe Leto for the first while. Assuming they're not injured, I haven't checked. Its a meaningless game, against decent opposition, at home. Few better places to get a bit of experience against top-flight opposition before depending on them in pressure situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd like to see Babel up front for the last 2 games, considering a lot of people here think he is more suited as a striker than a winger.

From here
    May 2 2008 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL have tabled a £10m bid to bring Aston Villa star Gareth Barry to Anfield.

The offer was made yesterday as Rafa Benitez reacted to Liverpool's Champions League exit at the hands of Chelsea by making an immediate move for his number one summer transfer target.

The Reds boss has earmarked Barry as a potential key signing and the centre piece of his rebuilding plans as he looks to put together a squad with enough strength in depth to be able to mount a genuine challenge for the Premier League title.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has insisted he would be reluctant to let the England international leave Villa Park. But the 27-year-old central midfielder is keen to experience Champions League football and is believed to favour a transfer to Anfield, despite interest from both Arsenal and Chelsea.

The two London clubs have been monitoring Barry's situation for several months and both are believed to be ready to test the water by make offers of their own.

But Liverpool have stolen a march on their Big Four rivals by getting in first with a £10m bid. Though Benitez rates Barry highly, he would be reluctant to get involved in an auction for a player understood to be keen on a move to Anfield.

O'Neill is desperate to retain the services of his club captain and is due to meet Villa owner Randy Lerner next week in an attempt to put together a lucrative contract in a last ditch bid to convince Barry not to quit.

But, with Liverpool able to offer Barry the Champions League football he craves and the opportunity to team up with international team mate Steven Gerrard, it is unlikely that even the prospect of being the best paid Villa player of all time would be enough to tempt him to remain at the club he joined as a teenager in 1997.

With 17 international caps and 313 Premier League appearances to his name, Barry is a seasoned campaigner whose stock has risen in recent seasons thanks to a string of influential performances for both club and country.

Former England manager Steve McClaren gave Barry a regular place in his starting line-up and Fabio Capello, his replacement as national team manager, has continued to select him in his preferred central midfield role, despite competition from the likes of Chelsea's Frank Lampard and Manchester United's Michael Carrick.

Now Benitez is keen to make him his first acquisition of the summer and Liverpool's offer will test their determination to keep hold of their star player.

* Meanwhile, Liverpool's on-loan winger, Paul Anderson, 19,has been named as Swansea's young player of the year. He scored 10 goals as they clinched promotion to the Championship.
    I'm not too convinced by Barry. He would be a useful acquisition but not at the rumoured loss of Alonso.

Fair play to Paul Anderson though. God knows we could do with more competition in the wide midfield areas.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'd like to see Babel up front for the last 2 games, considering a lot of people here think he is more suited as a striker than a winger.

Would like to see the B team for the last 2 games with maybe the likes of
    mascherano and carragher at the back to give a bit of experience.
    Think torres and gerrard should be basically told enjoy the next 2 weeks off.
    Would be great to see some of the reserves get a chance to impress and
    see what they are actually made of.

From here

I'm not too convinced by Barry. He would be a useful acquisition but not at the rumoured loss of Alonso.

Fair play to Paul Anderson though. God knows we could do with more competition in the wide midfield areas.

Brilliant news about anderson looked an excellent prospect a year ago.
    Havent seen him this year.
    Hope to **** we dont get barry, dont rate him at all.
    One paced with a limited passing range, he is an older version of lucas :(

Im more worried by the fact that Tony Barrett rates him as Rafa's number 1 target. If thats true then its a disaster and I think Utd Chelsea and Arsenal will widen the gap to us next season.

Where does TB say that he is his number 1 target?

Alonso says he is going nowhere....

http://www.goal.com/en-india/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=680257

Where does TB say that he is his number 1 target?

in the second line of that article
    making an immediate move for his number one summer transfer target

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement