Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

yom 1 wrote: »
    Im more worried by the fact that Tony Barrett rates him as Rafa's number 1 target. If thats true then its a disaster and I think Utd Chelsea and Arsenal will widen the gap to us next season.

Smoke and mirrors. :D

Tony Barrett is obviously a co-conspirator. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Barry is a very decent player. Can cover a few positions - which Rafa always values. I'd be happy to see him in a red shirt. Just ask any Villa fans how good he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cheers Yom, i wasnt being cheeky, genuinely missed it when reading the article.

as for Barry, yes he is a very good player.

difference between a title winning team and non title winning team? doubt it (although carrick made the difference for Utd and i'd definately rate Barry higher than him).

But if there wasnt a couple of exciting other signings,i'd be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Barry is an exceptional player, but I'd see him as part of a 3 man midfield, and I'm not sure if he's a player we desperately need?

Would he be happy playing LB?

He should easily have 50 England caps, if it wasn't for the fact that mangers often choose to shoehorn ego's into the team rather than pick the best team.

The fact that both himself and Gerrard made there débuts together, yet SG has 65 caps speaks volumes for all the managers since Keegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Barry will surely be a contender for the Left Back/Left Midfield area of the pitch. The fact that he can play in the centre is just a bonus. I would definitely prefer to jettison Riise rather than Alonso!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cheers Yom, i wasnt being cheeky, genuinely missed it when reading the article.

No problem
    spockety wrote:
    Smoke and mirrors.

Tony Barrett is obviously a co-conspirator.

lol can just see himself and rafa sitting down cooking up some headlines
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Barry is a very decent player. Can cover a few positions - which Rafa always values. I'd be happy to see him in a red shirt. Just ask any Villa fans how good he is.

I think he is too. But I was hoping for another big name top quality signing this summer. Someone to get excited about. But this seems to suggest another season of decent squad type players. I was hoping for a summer of less is more when it came to signings and not another clear out and rebuild season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

What do people think rafa's plans are for barry if we do get him?

Will we be saying goodbye to alonso and be having barry sitting in beside mascha, or will it be a case if him being out on the left to plug that very big gap out there?

Personally, i'd like to see Barry out on the left, i think he'd do a good job there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

IrishMike wrote: »
    Think torres and gerrard should be basically told enjoy the next 2 weeks off.
    Isn't Torres just 1 goal of RVN's debut season record ? If so I think Torres should be given every chance to better that record.
    Would be great to see some of the reserves get a chance to impress and
    see what they are actually made of.
    Agreed but think we can expect a strong team this weekend for the last home game of the season. Maybe next week he'll tinker more but I'd be surprised to see too many 1st teamers rested this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can't believe that people are complaining that we are singing Barry.. He is an extremely good central midfielder, a good left back and can also play on the left. You need players that can offer you stuff like this if you have any hope of competing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I can't believe that people are complaining that we are singing Barry.. He is an extremely good central midfielder, a good left back and can also play on the left. You need players that can offer you stuff like this if you have any hope of competing.

I think many people are wary that he would be taking up valuable transfer funds that might be spent better elsewhere - such as a good attacking winger. Not that he wouldn't do a good job on the left mid, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He is a more versatile version of Alonso.
    Thing is if we are keeping Alonso the money should be spent on a first choice fullback and a first choice winger before further strenghtening our strongest
    position on the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I can't believe that people are complaining that we are singing Barry

ahaha for 10 million you wont be signing him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barry for 10 million would be a great deal. Considering though that Carrick as 17 and Hargreaves for 18, I'd be utterly amazed if he went for that low a price.

I don't think he's top top class, but he'd really help the squad, and a bit of competitin for Alonso might bring out the best in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'd be real happy with signing barry. very versatile player and very good from set pieces which tbh we were very poor from this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He could be a good buy but i would not spend 10M on him what about a swap deal with Carlson going to Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think Villa want Carson, his England chance seems to have ****ed him up.

MON say its something like Caron + Crouch for Barry or something, which wouldn't be terrible business. I'd say he'll try go for some cash (enough to fund his other keeper, apparently he's after some American dude) and Crouch.

He could be a good buy but i would not spend 10M on him what about a swap deal with Carlson going to Villa.

lol

hes gonna cost minimum £14m

also, we dont want carson by the looks of it

PHB wrote: »
    I don't think Villa want Carson, his England chance seems to have ****ed him up.

MON say its something like Caron + Crouch for Barry or something, which wouldn't be terrible business. I'd say he'll try go for some cash (enough to fund his other keeper, apparently he's after some American dude) and Crouch.

crouch plus £8m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Helix wrote: »
    crouch plus £8m

wont be crouch + 8, maybe carson plus 8

the lad wants out of villa, and wants to join liverpool, itll happen and at less than villa value him at

Cyrus wrote: »
    wont be crouch + 8, maybe carson plus 8

the lad wants out of villa, and wants to join liverpool, itll happen and at less than villa value him at

you seem to forget that therell be other clubs after him too, clubs who actually have money to spend and wont be relying on player deals

mon on the deal:
    Liverpool haven't made a straight cash offer. They've made an offer involving a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges

we dont want carson, so it wont be him. if we wanted carson we wouldnt be after jaskalinnen and guzman

and here

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2008/05/02/peter-crouch-set-to-return-to-aston-villa-in-14m-gareth-barry-deal-97319-20854205/
    GARETH Barry has moved a significant step closer to joining Liverpool this summer with Martin O'Neill set to take Peter Crouch in part-exchange. Barry is expected to join the Reds in a deal worth around £14million with Crouch and £8million coming Villa's way.

• Advertisement

we'll see

doesnt matter who else wants him if he wants to goto liverpool ;)

we dont want carson, so it wont be him. if we wanted carson we wouldnt be after jaskalinnen and guzman

Unless O'Neill's trying to keep the price of Carson down by declaring an interest in other keepers. Just a thought.

we'll see

doesnt matter who else wants him if he wants to goto liverpool ;)

he never said he wanted to go to liverpool, he said he owed it to himself to make a decision on whether he wanted champions league football and to be challenging for honours next season

if arsenal, united or chelsea came in for him hed take any of them above chelsea

i have a feeling he'll be an arsenal player come august, we just havent heard anything coz wenger has a bit of class and doesnt generally discuss players under contract or use the media to tap them up for him

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Unless O'Neill's trying to keep the price of Carson down by declaring an interest in other keepers. Just a thought.

have you seen carson in the last 6 months?

2 clean sheets since december iirc

the chaps gone to the dogs after the england thing

Is crouch really only valued at £6m. Considering Bent went for 16.5 last year I'd have thought we would get at least £10m for Crouch

have you seen carson in the last 6 months?

2 clean sheets since december iirc

the chaps gone to the dogs after the england thing

Indeed, he does rather seem to have lost a bit of confidence alright.

i have a feeling he'll be an arsenal player come august, we just havent heard anything coz wenger has a bit of class and doesnt generally discuss players under contract or use the media to tap them up for him

If that's suppose to be a dig at Rafa its a pi$$ poor attempt!

yom 1 wrote: »
    If that's suppose to be a dig at Rafa its a pi$$ poor attempt!

no its a dig at teams who use the media to tap up players, any team, any league, any country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Barry is not worth Crouch + 8m. A straight swap would be a fair deal. It's a strange deal though because unless Alonso is definitely gone, we don't really need Barry and Villa don't really need Crouch at all, since they have Carew. But if Alonso does go, surely there are better ways to spend the money raised. Like on Ashley Young :v

liverpool fans seem to be hugely underrating barry

the bloke is worth 14m easy in the current market

7 goals and 11 assists isnt particularly bad in a team thats not hugely consistent, especially when you consider he plays with stilliyan petrov in the middle. he can play left side, center, and left back and is a proven leader

great set piece delivery, decent crosser of the ball, doesnt give the ball away much, strong in the tackle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's a good player, but we're not short of CM's at the moment, so either he plays as LB, or CM, or LM.

If it's LB, there are better, and it would be playing him out of position
    If it's CM, we already have equal or better players, unless Alonso is going
    If it's LM, we don't play with a LM...

It's also pretty disgraceful the way this news has come out, considering our season is over, but Villa still have something to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

If Liverpool play Barry anywhere but central midfield they won't be getting the best out of him.

dead right

plus hes the perfect foil for gerrard as we saw for england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would say Barry would fit into the 4-5-1 system and 4-4-2, one advantage of him over Alonso is he sits a bit further up the park which was really missing against chelsea on wednesday.

i would imagine though he is mainly being bought for improving our record against the top 3 clubs so we could go to united, chelsea and arsenal with a flat 4 man midfield somehting like this

Gerrard - Alonso - Masch - Barry
    Babel
    Torres

also he is another captain which benitez values and some cover for LB.

so there is a place for him in the squad but 8m plus crouch is too high, hopefully 6m plus Crouch.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    so there is a place for him in the squad but 8m plus crouch is too high, hopefully 6m plus Crouch.

you seem to be under the illusion we'll sell him for less than we think hes worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You seem to be under the impression that he's some sort of messiah.

He'd be a good squad player.

you seem to be under the illusion we'll sell him for less than we think hes worth

we paid 7.5 million for Crouch - his value should not have dropped since he has signed and he is a better player now. Liverpool tend to get less than they should for most players they sell and i would expect 6-7m cash but i would say Benitez values him around the 8-9m mark. therefore the deal would be around 14-15m - which i think is a fair valuation of Barry.

PiE wrote: »
    You seem to be under the impression that he's some sort of messiah.

He'd be a good squad player.

no i never said he was a messiah, i said hes worth £14m in the current market

hes a guarenteed first xi player if he signs for you btw

we paid 7.5 million for Crouch - his value should not have dropped since he has signed and he is a better player now. Liverpool tend to get less than they should for most players they sell and i would expect 6-7m cash but i would say Benitez values him around the 8-9m mark. therefore the deal would be around 14-15m - which i think is a fair valuation of Barry.

crouch has barely played and hasnt exactly been prolific when he has this season

£8m plus crouch is fair imo

id rather finnan + crouch + £5m tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You do know who Rafa Benitez is dont you? :confused:

no i never said he was a messiah, i said hes worth £14m in the current market

guaranteed first 11, not a hope

for a start theres only 3/4 liverpools that are guaranteed first 11

secondly he isnt as good as, gerrard, alonso or mascherano.

anyway reports from liverpool is that he has agreed terms in principle, which would explain why rafa is confident.

reports from liverpool is that he has agreed terms in principle

howd he manage that then?

we havent accepted a bid

thro his agent i would imagine, how do you think these things actually work :rolleyes:

oh and benitez in an interview today
    Gareth Barry is a player you have been linked with, is there anything in that at all?

I read about a lot of names and different players in the press. I also read about my own players, but we do not have any comment. We continue working and that is it.

you dont have to accept a bid, a team can give permission to a player to talk to another team before any deal is agreed.

yeah

we're definitely gonna give barry permission to talk to liverpool despite them offering us a deal we're not interested in and following them running blabbing to the media, which our manager was publicly angry about on the eve of a must win match for the club

of course we would
    thro his agent i would imagine, how do you think these things actually work

you cant talk to a player without the clubs permission, unless youre suggesting youve tapped him up?

• Advertisement

you cant talk to a player without the clubs permission, unless youre suggesting youve tapped him up?

admit to nothing Cyrus, Helix could be on to the FA....:rolleyes:
    yeah

we're definitely gonna give barry permission to talk to liverpool despite them offering us a deal we're not interested in and following them running blabbing to the media, which our manager was publicly angry about on the eve of a must win match for the club

of course we would

atletico gave us permission to talk to Torres without a fee being agree, as did Benfica with Simao.

EDIT: i may have missed it but could you show where Benitez has said something about Barry other than saying he is a good player.

EDIT: i may have missed it but could you show where Benitez has said something about Barry other than saying he is a good player.

liverpool use the echo to leak anything they want in the press in return for exclusives

everyone knows that

atletico gave us permission to talk to Torres without a fee being agree, as did Benfica with Simao

somewhat different things

1) we dont want to sell barry
    2) mon wont let anyone talk to anyone til after the season, nor will he talk to any clubs
    3) mon deemed the bid unacceptable
    4) barry is club captain and has said hes not going to do anything until after the summer regarding decisions on his future

why would we let you talk to the club captain less than 24 hours before a must win game that could see us take 5th place in the league?

I originally thought that Barry would only be signed if Alonso was going. Having thought about it, I actually think he will be signed even if Alonso is staying. I think that it is going to happen as part of Gerard effectively being promoted to become a forward player and no longer considered to be part of the midfield.

Also, iirc, there were reports a few months ago that Gerard pleaded with Rafa to go for Barry after Barry's run in the English set up when Gerard and him played together when Lampard was injured.

Promoting Gerard to become what is effectively a forward, retaining Torres and Crouch would also take the pressure of signing a striker off somewhat. A quality striker is going to cost anything from £15 million upwards - closer to £25 or £30 million if we are realistic.

Along with signing Barry for between 5 and 8 plus a player, quite a bit of cash will remain free for wingers.

Alonso/Barry and Masch will playing against the tougher opposition. Alonso/Masch and Barry will play agaisnt middle of the road opposition the Lucas and whoever will play against the weaker opposition.

liverpool use the echo to leak anything they want in the press in return for exclusives

everyone knows that
    somewhat different things

1) we dont want to sell barry
    2) mon wont let anyone talk to anyone til after the season, nor will he talk to any clubs
    3) mon deemed the bid unacceptable
    4) barry is club captain and has said hes not going to do anything until after the summer regarding decisions on his future

why would we let you talk to the club captain less than 24 hours before a must win game that could see us take 5th place in the league?

You are making quite a matter statements there as if you know them to be facts.

Instead of getting ultra worked up and pointing the finger, why not take a deep breath and see what happens. For all you know, it could have been Barry telling Gerard that he would like to sign a few months back that has prompted all this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement