Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was reading the latest issue of The Kop and it was saying that a couple of Liverpool supporting builders who are working on Gary Neville's house put a copy of the Kop and a scarf underneath his swimming pool before tiling it over. Well done lads. Maybe that will curse him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good work archimedes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

United fans' Liverpool obsession/paranoia is sad sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Everyones second favourite rag
    The Daily Mail says Benitez may struggle to match last summer's outlay on Torres, Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun, but he is ready to increase his spending power by cashing in on Peter Crouch and Xabi Alonso and listening to offers for Steve Finnan, John Arne Riise and Jermaine Pennant.

Portsmouth are in pole position for Crouch, whose failure to play any part in the return leg with Chelsea could prove the final straw, while Real Madrid and Barcelona continue to monitor Alonso's availability

Definitely cant see pennant going nor can i see alonso being sold.

Would you keep Pennant over Banayoun Mike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Benayoun for sure, gives us options, yes.

The only reason i can see Alonso being sold is if its raise finance for a TOP quality player, maybe as a makeshift for the likes of Silva, Villa, Eto'o etc....cant see any other reason tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I can; he's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If anyone here can prove to me they are a scouser, Archimedes gets banned.

Guys, stop teasing the Pool fans and Pool fans, I KNOW you're a bit thicker skinned than this week would have me believe

Would you keep Pennant over Banayoun Mike?

Most definitely.
    Better crosser of the ball and has real pace.
    If his work rate was up to scratch and he stopped going missing in games he
    would be a definite starter on the right, but at the moment he is very one
    dimensional and thats fine when you have a top quality cross to deliver but
    when you dont it makes you look a little headless at times.
    Yossi is far far far too wasteful to play against any top 6 side.
    He is the poor mans luis garcia because he doesnt have the same goal threat

• Advertisement

PSI wrote: »

Guys, stop teasing the Pool fans and Pool fans, I KNOW you're a bit thicker skinned than this week would have me believe

Did somebody ask for him to be banned?

If i can prove im Irish can you ban PHB and Mr Alan?
    Just for a day........
    I may also be in a position to offer money :pac: :D :pac:

IrishMike wrote: »
    Most definitely.
    Better crosser of the ball and has real pace.
    If his work rate was up to scratch and he stopped going missing in games he
    would be a definite starter on the right, but at the moment he is very one
    dimensional and thats fine when you have a top quality cross to deliver but
    when you dont it makes you look a little headless at times.
    Yossi is far far far too wasteful to play against any top 6 side.
    He is the poor mans luis garcia because he doesnt have the same goal threat

I don't know how to feel about Pennant to be honest, i've defended him on numerous occasions but i just can't see him taking that next step up i think he just falls short of being a very good player, his lack of goals and effort are a problem for me.

IrishMike wrote: »
    If i can prove im Irish can you ban PHB and Mr Alan?
    Just for a day........
    I may also be in a position to offer money :pac: :D :pac:

wtf did i do now?!

By that same token, It's ok for my to say all mancs are scumbags, and that should only offend people from Manchester?

I reported that post, and the fact is there is a recurring cycle of crap and counter crap with the occasional on topic discussion which gets trolled off by a unhelpful post like Archimedes.

Run a quick search on his contribution to this thread, and tell me if it's worthwhile?

But how can you argue with on topic quality posts like this:
    Archimedes wrote: »
    In all fairness, spockety has been having his period lately. His hormones are all over the place, give the wee petal a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It was a bloody joke, and a popular one at that between United - Liverpool banter, lighten up ffs, there was no offene intended.

Awfully professional of you to advertise that if anybody can claim to be offended, then ill be banned. FFS.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    wtf did i do now?!

It was a joke Alan, a joke :D :pac: :D
    Your posting every 5 mins gives me something to read at work, which is
    always a good thing as it means im not actually doing anything constructive!
    Which is always a good thing in my book.
    Carry on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Distinct end of term feel to this thread right now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mike65 wrote: »
    Distinct end of term feel to this thread right now.

Mike.

distinct end of life feel to it. dont think it can handle anymore *facts* being posted on the teams failings from certain members in red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

btw, anyone reckon the barry interest could signal a loan move for lucas?

wouldnt mind seeing him loaned out to another premiership team, some regular football would be good for him, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

spockety wrote: »
    This simply has to be a joke?? Or else hideously misinformed.

In Rafa's 3 full league campaigns, Liverpool HAVE been one of the 'big three' for two of those seasons, assuming you count league position as the decider in that one. We have finished ahead of Arsenal twice now since he took over.

He also brought Liverpool their highest league tally in history with 82 points, something Houllier never managed.

Hideously misinformed??? I don't think so? Forget about him bringing us our highest ever points tally since he took over. Maybe points wise he finished nearer the winners but not in a positional sense. Do you not remember the 01-02 season, when Arsenal won the league?? Liverpool under Gerard Houllier finished second that year. So, I am the one who has my facts straight. Granted, Benitez has been fantastic in European competitions since he took over, but in the league we haven't come anywhere NEAR challenging for honours since he took charge.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=Club&article=344299&lid=History&Title=Club+Honours. I've included this link to prove my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hideously misinformed??? I don't think so? Forget about him bringing us our highest ever points tally since he took over. Maybe points wise he finished nearer the winners but not in a positional sense. Do you not remember the 01-02 season, when Arsenal won the league?? Liverpool under Gerard Houllier finished second that year. So, I am the one who has my facts straight. Granted, Benitez has been fantastic in European competitions since he took over, but in the league we haven't come anywhere NEAR challenging for honours since he took charge.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=Club&article=344299&lid=History&Title=Club+Honours. I've included this link to prove my point.

He hasnt come near to winning the league, this is true. However, you have to look at what he is up against.

1) The richest team in the world that has had a manager in place for two decades and has full control of the club while spending big money on the players he wants for as long as I can remember.

2) A team that has had a manager in place for a long time doing things his way. He has had lots of time to buy young talent and personally develop them into great players. Rafa has got the the better of Wenger in regards to league placing, trophies and European advancement since he has been here.

3) A club owned by a billionaire who pumps money in, splashing out big money and offering massive wages.

It was never going to be a case of Rafa coming in and winning the league immediately. Will he win it next year ? or the year after ? I have no idea BUT he has done a good job so far when you look at things in context.

I have absolutely no doubt that Rafa is the man to bring the title back to Liverpool.

Making comparisons over previous campaigns isn't totally relevant considering the emergence of Chelsea as a rival both in the league and transfer market.

Tusky wrote: »
    He hasnt come near to winning the league, this is true. However, you have to look at what he is up against.

1) The richest team in the world that has had a manager in place for two decades and has full control of the club while spending big money on the players he wants for as long as I can remember.

2) A team that has had a manager in place for a long time doing things his way. He has had lots of time to buy young talent and personally develop them into great players. Rafa has got the the better of Wenger in regards to league placing, trophies and European advancement since he has been here.

3) A club owned by a billionaire who pumps money in, splashing out big money and offering massive wages.

It was never going to be a case of Rafa coming in and winning the league immediately. Will he win it next year ? or the year after ? I have no idea BUT he has done a good job so far when you look at things in context.

Yeah, Abrahmovich(sp?) has f**ked it up for everyone else in the league. If only H & G would sort out their s**t, maybe we could start spending major moolah, and bring in real top class talent. As long as Abrahmovich is around, teams like ourselves, ManUre and Arsenal will never be able to get the real top class talent. IMO, the only 2 Liverpool players that would be able to walk into any of the other top European sides, are Gerrard & Torres.

zAbbo wrote: »
    I have absolutely no doubt that Rafa is the man to bring the title back to Liverpool.

Making comparisons over previous campaigns isn't totally relevant considering the emergence of Chelsea as a rival both in the league and transfer market.

I actually think it is relevant seeing its the same club.

• Advertisement

I actually think it is relevant seeing its the same club.

It's a vastly different club in fairness. Houlliers squad would get murdered by the current Chelsea one, Rafa has done well to have the record we have against them.

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's a vastly different club in fairness. Houlliers squad would get murdered by the current Chelsea one, Rafa has done well to have the record we have against them.

The times we've beaten them, we've bored them to defeat. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

David Villa has rejected advances from Spurs, because he has his heart set on Real Madrid

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3510410,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

IMO, the only 2 Liverpool players that would be able to walk into any of the other top European sides, are Gerrard & Torres.
    Can you please stop posting this kind of drivel? The other day you had this to say:
    The only real TOP CLASS players we have in our team(that Rafa has signed) are Torres & Babel.
    So, Babel is top class but wouldn't walk into any other top European side? Do you seriously think Skrtel, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso and Kuyt wouldn't get into a top European side? What is a top European side in your mind anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mental by name....

Gareth Barry then, is he Mr Flexible? I reckon Rafa wants him for the left side which can
    set Babel on a new path as Crouches replacement. Barry can also fill in when one of Alonso and Masch is not availible (then put Babel wide). Lucas will have to be patient next season I suspect.

Reina
    ?????--Agger-Skrtel--Aurelio
    Alonso--Masch
    RS
    Gerrard
    Barry
    Torres

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Mental by name....

Gareth Barry then, is he Mr Flexible? I reckon Rafa wants him for the left side which can
    set Babel on a new path as Crouches replacement. Barry can also fill in when one of Alonso and Masch is not availible (then put Babel wide). Lucas will have to be patient next season I suspect.

Reina
    ?????--Agger-Skrtel--Aurelio
    Alonso--Masch
    RS
    Gerrard
    Barry
    Torres

Mike.

Is it possible he wants him for left back ?

If he wants him for center midfield and Alonso is going, its a step back. If he is buying him as 4th/5th choice CM then its retarded as we desperately need to improve the flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Are people really excited about the prospect of signing Barry? Surely I would have thought the first priority would be new wingers. Barry is a central midfield, or maybe a left sided midfielder. He is not a player who would be good playing on the left side of an attacking 3 behind a striker.

Surely he is wanted for his central midfield abilities, with the option of using him at LB in order to provide LB cover (which I assume means Rafa is looking at Aureilo as first choice there)

Or there is of course the distinct possibility that Alonso is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PHB wrote: »
    Are people really excited about the prospect of signing Barry? Surely I would have thought the first priority would be new wingers. Barry is a central midfield, or maybe a left sided midfielder. He is not a player who would be good playing on the left side of an attacking 3 behind a striker.

Surely he is wanted for his central midfield abilities, with the option of using him at LB in order to provide LB cover (which I assume means Rafa is looking at Aureilo as first choice there)

Or there is of course the distinct possibility that Alonso is leaving.

i didnt want Barry lest week but this week i've sorta changed my mind, as long as we didnt spend crazy money.

there is no way in hell that Auriello will ever be first choice left back - way too injury prone. Degen/Arbeloa/Insua/Barry/Auriello will cover the full back spots.

2 Top class players on the flanks and I would be happy. Dont need wholesale changes. Lets give the team time to gel. Just need an injection of quality in certain positions. Wouldnt be happy with Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

While I have advocated the need for 2 quality wingers and a striker, I think that a return to full fitness for Agger could prove to be the most important additions to the first team next season.

I said before that the difference between us and United this season has been 10 goals or so. Those 10 goals have been handed to the opposition through careless mistakes, own goals and penalties.

Promoting Gerard to come one of the forward players, signing Barry as part of the central midfield team, sign a full back, 1 up and coming young striker and then finally 1 (2 if we are lucky) winger to add that little bit of extra quality. I also think that we will start to see far more of Insua this season.

wat would people think about re-signing Luis Garcia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

my god. i dont even what to think about it alan.

its one thing signing a new player who doesnt, but its just stupid re-signing a player who already didnt work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In a hypothetical universe, where Barry could be signed for free / we could sign Barry and as many other players we wanted because money is no object - then we would all welcome him as a signing because he will improve the squad depth and be capable of doing a good job in at least two positions. He has a lot of upside.

So the question is if he is signed how it will effect the ability to bring in other players over the transfer window. And to that end who the **** really knows what the budget will be like? All estimations I have seen in this thread are no better than guessworks with varying levels of education.

People speak of Barry as a step down from Alonso. The Alonso of three seasons ago maybe. But Alonso has been very poor and inconsistent this year and last year to a certain extent. On current form, you would have to put Barry in there instead of him and be happy.

So I say do this signing and improve the squad and then bring in other players over the summer. Yes we have other holes to fill, but genuine improvement of the ability level of the squad should always be welcomed.

I would normally be against the signing of younger English players that have had one or two good seasons cause you end up getting fleeced. But Barry has been the standout performer at premiership level at Aston Villa for years now. The next logical step in his career is a top four side and Champions league football. He is a club captain and a model pro. Fill your side with guys like him and you'll be ****ing tough to beat. We would be taking one of the best English players in the league - a player who should have at least 20 more caps for England by this stage if it wasn't for the shortsightedness of the media and the ineptitude of management.

This wouldn't be a Kronkamp / Gonzalez / Voronin shot in the dark type squad depth signing. It would be a very solid acquisition of a player proven at this level and continue the trend of Skrtel / Torres type purchases - i.e. players who can come in and contribute to the first 11 from the word go. I say get him once it's for £14m or less and worry about the unknown as the coming weeks and months unfold.

my god. i dont even what to think about it alan.

its one thing signing a new player who doesnt, but its just stupid re-signing a player who already didnt work out

seriously though,

he offers **** load more than Voronin.
    hasnt gone great for him since leaving,available for only a couple of million.
    he was actually a very good player for us.
    this new formation would suit him more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

No way José.

On the subject of Barry, reports are that it's a 'mishmash' of player exchanges.
    I would like to know first who'd be leaving Anfield[in this exchange], fingers crossed Harry is one of them :pac:.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    No way José.

On the subject of Barry, reports are that it's a 'mishmash' of player exchanges.
    I would like to know first who'd be leaving Anfield[in this exchange], fingers crossed Harry is one of them :pac:.

Harry or pennant... pennant is little more than a squad player for us at the mo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I asked this before but it was post Chelsea first leg and got passed by in the match review comments...

anyone know if LFC.TV will be showing the playoff between the Reserve North Champs (Liverpool) and the Reserve South Champs (Aston Villa) coming up this week? They had all the other pool reserve games didnt they? and of course LFCTV is free for anyone with setanta (me :)).

out:
    pennant,riise,voronin,kewell(actually forget about him),carson,maybe crouch?

in:
    silva,barry,garcia,bentley.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

No way José.

Isn't Kewell out of contract at the end of the season? That would mean he'd be available on a free transfer

hasnt gone great for him since leaving,available for only a couple of million.

theres a reason for that alan. the boy has no consistency. and he's 29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

There was no £10m, just talk about cash and players. How can you offer nameless players?

Someone asked whether it meant Torres and Gerrard — but I’m not sure they want to leave Liverpool at the moment

so basically it was a nothing bid involving liverpool saying "we'll give you some players, and some money... or something"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

rosboy wrote: »
    Isn't Kewell out of contract at the end of the season? That would mean he'd be available on a free transfer

Good news and bad news so!!!

theres a reason for that alan.

You sound like my mother! :)

I was just pointing out that, he is a better attacking option than we currently have out wide, and if money is tight, for so little, might be am option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

We wont get anything for Harry obviously, but the 70k a week his departure frees up will be pretty usefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

No way José.

The 'nameless' players MON referred to were apparently a choice of Carson, Pennant and Risse. Presumably the cash amount involved would have varied depending on which of those players (or combination of them ?) were involved in the deal if it were to go ahead.

If true then MON is basically referring to his own #1 keeper as a nameless player which isn't exactly much of a vote of confidence in advance of their last 2 games (only 1 game now but the comments were from yesterday).

Source: http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-offers-aston-villa-choice-of-riise-pennant-or-carson-to-help-get-gareth-barry%26method=full%26objectid=20858038%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement