Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didn't see the interview but I imagine he was pissed off at the timing. I might also be underwhelmed if I had Barry and was offered Riise! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

well if he is pissed off at the timing, maybe he shouldnt have confirmed it? he is the one who has brought it into the public domain.

after all, Liverpool have yet to say anything on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well if he is pissed off at the timing, maybe he shouldnt have confirmed it? he is the one who has brought it into the public domain.

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand MON stating he doesn't like such deals being made public when he's the one doing the talking. I would think it points towards Alonso leaving.

i wouldnt imagine so tbh

think it just signals that if Gerrard is gonna be playing the same role next year he was for the second half of this season-at the moment, we have Alonso/Mascherano/Lucas for 2 CM spots, Rafa wouldnt be happy with that, an injury and we'd be in trouble.

2 of the following would be an excellent CM.
    Alonso/Mascherano/Barry/Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mike65 wrote: »
    I didn't see the interview but I imagine he was pissed off at the timing. I might also be underwhelmed if I had Barry and was offered Riise! :p

Mike.

Based on Barrys performance today, I'd keep Riise :eek:

Valencia on the otherhand would be a fantastic addition.

If Reading go down, would a cheeky bid for Shorey be worthwhile I wonder? He offers the same as the glassman at LB (apart from the persistent injuries).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Why would Pool need Barry? They have a bunch of central midfielders!

because, if gerrard is now counted as an attacking player in our new formation, we now have 3 midfielders for 2 spots. thats not enough.

I guess, it'd be difficult to keep em all happy though, although Lucas won't be considered as a first choice for another season I'd say...

Based on Barrys performance today, I'd keep Riise :eek:

Valencia on the otherhand would be a fantastic addition.

Barry was thinking about the CL qualifiers! :p Valencia would be an exellent and cheap buy.

Mike.

scholes,carrick,hargreaves,anderson,fletcher

lampard,ballack,essien,makalele,obi mikel.....

tis the way of the world! ;)

the mancs are interested in valencia as well arent they?

Valencia only had two goals up until today, little worrying

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right...yeah the whole Valencia thing, no one would be arsed talking about here on the forums if it wasn't for him being linked by the papers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard in the latter half of this season has become a Rooney/Tevez style player who drops off the attacking. The key thing is that he plays a lot of his game now with his back to goal, something that midfield players rarely do.

The Valencia stuff is all from his agent, including his links to United and Liverpool. I'd be shocked if either clubs moved for him to be honest.

----

I think Barry would be an improvement of Alonso this season, however I think a large part of the problem Alonso has is that there's nobody making good runs for him, especially the wingers. Passing players like Alonso and Carrick thrive on wingers finding space, and then them pinging it to them.

Alonso isn't what he used to be, but I think with some wingers who made good runs you'd see him back to his old passing game. Players with quality don't just go ****e randomly, it's to do with the system they employ.

True but I think Alonso needs to get a good run of games, his season has been disrupted this season, hopefully he'll recapture his form of last season

**** Valencia, bring back Garcia! :)

Silva and Bentley and Alonso and Mr Alan would be happy lads.

it's funny when players leave big clubs because of limited first team action and then prove themselves and get a big move, like Bentley probably will...

Although in recent weeks I've been impressed with Pennant...

Leave it alone! :p he ain't coming back.

Rafa bigging up some of the reserves today, it looks like they'll play at least some of the game tomorrow.

Mike.

I don't know why people are so crazy about Bentley. The up and coming English winger I think the top 4 should be looking at is most certainly Young.

i think both Bentley and Young are exceptionally talented players.

Usually i'd favour Bentley, and if given the choice i'd choose him, but Villa fans are pissing me off today so part of me is hoping Rafa raids Young as well! ;)

lol :) I think Bentley is fine in a team that plays a classic 4-4-2 with strikers who score headed goals, but Liverpool don't really have any great headers of the ball playing up front, even Crouch despite his height is not a great header of the ball. He just doesn't seem like the right sort of player, and since he'd cost the same as Young, I don't know why people aren't looking for young. I'm really hoping this summer we sign Young personally.

can't see Young moving, he's only just got his feet under the table...be interesting to see if O'Neill can keep the guts of his side together, all these big fish floating about...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

PHB wrote: »
    I don't know why people are so crazy about Bentley. The up and coming English winger I think the top 4 should be looking at is most certainly Young.

Oi:D! quit stirring!

just watching the 30 minutes with Torres, wat a ****ing legend :)

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/_image/item/_large/406931_0.jpg

hahaha, thats a funny little love in montage they put together of Torres and Gerrard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Personally i'd definately go for Young for the WF role. Would actually quite like Agbonlahor as well tbh. We could give Villa Pennant and convince Kewell to join them as well ;) Think Pennant would actually suit Villa a lot if they keep Carew up front.

I'm not sure i actually want 2 TOP class wingers, think i'd prefer one top class and one very good. I want space left for Babel to still get plenty of games so he can develope. Think he'll be a great player, just looking at how he's developed this season already. Can now consistently give amazing sub performances - only more games can increase this to the 90mins.

Barry once he didn't mess up our budget would be a good buy with his versatility, would probably end up playing most weeks in one of his 3 positions.

With Riise absolutely wrecking my head i really want Insua starting tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Barry once he didn't mess up our budget would be a good buy with his versatility, would probably end up playing most weeks in one of his 3 positions.

Depending on what Benitez has in mind for him, I think he could be a good signing. Any time Rafa has sent 10+ million on a player the result has been positive (Alonso, Babel, Torres).

Was just looking at my fantasy football team and saw that Barry has 8 goals this season, and 10 assists. Gerrard has 11 goals and 11 assists, and I think we all agree how important he has been for us this season. If Barry can perform similarly for us next season, he would be a worthwhile addition to the team.

.......Oh, and Bentley has 6 goals and 10 assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bently is a good player .... I dont think he is a top class player.

Its funny how the media forget. Recently 1 rag in the UK said Wenger should sign him for Arsenal ... which would be quite a turnaround considering he left Arsenal for 1st team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

I think Rafa should be going for tall players with a bit of pace if possible...It seems we get a lot of Corners but we are rarely a threat in the box :(

If you look at Utd and Arsenal they have really quick players who can counter the opposition really fast, i think we need this also (and our full back's to push forward a bit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You mean like Babel for example who did that very thing against Arsenal and Chelsea ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

haha.. don't be that naive.. the story was broken in the Liverpool Echo.. I think it's safe to say that it came straight from Rick Parry or Rafa Benitez. Liverpool moved first in the public domain, and shouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mada999 wrote: »
    I think Rafa should be going for tall players with a bit of pace if possible...It seems we get a lot of Corners but we are rarely a threat in the box :(

The majority of our corners this season have been shockin, can't even get the ball past the first man. There's players in the box but the ball ain't gettin' to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    lol :) I think Bentley is fine in a team that plays a classic 4-4-2 with strikers who score headed goals, but Liverpool don't really have any great headers of the ball playing up front, even Crouch despite his height is not a great header of the ball. He just doesn't seem like the right sort of player, and since he'd cost the same as Young, I don't know why people aren't looking for young. I'm really hoping this summer we sign Young personally.

Torres is a great header of the ball. Has scored 4 or 5 headers this season.

If we dont lose either of our last 2 games, we'll have lost only 2 games all season. Our best record since 87/88.

Thats progress for me :)

All we have to do now is turn some of our draws into wins and things can get interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Looking forward to today's game. Hope to see a couple of the young lads.

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Insua

Plessis
    Lucas

Gerrard

Nemeth
    Babel

Torres

I see absolutely no point in Riise, Voronin, Crouch, Pennant playing in the last two games if they aren't going to be here next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If we dont lose either of our last 2 games, we'll have lost only 2 games all season. Our best record since 87/88.

All we have to do now is turn some of our draws into wins and things can get interesting :)

We have lost 4 in the league and 3 in the CL...

What table are you looking at?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/table/default.stm

Er, Man Utd, Man Utd, West Ham, Reading

oops! stolen from another site! wat they meant was in 87/88, we lost 2 league matches, this season will be our lowest amounts of loses since then.

still represents good progress to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

oops! stolen from another site! wat they meant was in 87/88, we lost 2 league matches, this season will be our lowest amounts of loses since then.

still represents good progress to me.

Doesnt mean anything tbh.

tbh, it does to me.

do we not wanna see progress? if we win today, we are 11 points off the leaders. or 3 extra wins and a couple of draws. not an insurmountable gap with the right improvements and a couple of new additions to the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tbh, it does to me.

do we not wanna see progress? if we win today, we are 11 points off the leaders. or 3 extra wins and a couple of draws. not an insurmountable gap with the right improvements and a couple of new additions to the squad.
    Thing is though, the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea aren't going to stand still, they will also be improving/strenghtening their squads.

And at the moment Manchester United would seem to be the preferred destination for any player considering a move to the Northwest.

Say if "Right Full X" (I pick Right Full because it is a position that both MU and Liverpool need to buy) was offered the same package by both clubs, he'd be more likely to move to MU as League Champions and CL Finalists, rather than an underachieving Liverpool, imo.

Reina

Finnan
    Insua
    Carragher
    Hyypia,

Luca
    Mascherano
    Babel
    Kuyt
    Gerrard

Torres

Subs: Itandje, Voronin, Benayoun, Alonso, Skrtel.

i agree Des, they arent going to stand still, so we need to improve at a quicker rate than them.

which is wat makes it so difficult.

but we wont have much problem attracting top players either Des, we are undoubtadly a "big" club, and our recent record in the CL is probably very attractive for players too.

i was just trying to point out that there is positives to be taken from this season, we have improved a lot imo as a team. as i said, its all about progress ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

delighted to see Insua play today, lets hope he has a stormer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pffft. He's gonna get roasted by Vas :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What does nemeth have to do to get a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

25. Joe Hart

16. Vedran Corluka

22. Richard Dunne

3. Michael Ball

17. Sun Jihai

12. Darius Vassell

7. Stephen Ireland

6. Michael Johnson

15. Martin Petrov

11. Blumer Elano

27. Benjani Mwaruwari

SUBS
    1. Andreas Isaksson (GK)

28. Fernandes Gelson

30. Nery Castillo

21. Dietmar Hamann

24. Javier Garrido

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DesF wrote: »
    And at the moment Manchester United would seem to be the preferred destination for any player considering a move to the Northwest.

Say if "Right Full X" (I pick Right Full because it is a position that both MU and Liverpool need to buy) was offered the same package by both clubs, he'd be more likely to move to MU as League Champions and CL Finalists, rather than an underachieving Liverpool, imo.

Jesus christ.. Yes, this is the case , in the same way that Chelsea can technically hijack any deal that United are trying to make. There is always a bigger fish out there but there is only so many players they can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

tbh, it does to me.

Also, Liverpool were basically out of the title race early this season. So the team were playing with no title winning pressure. That can contribute to a couple more losses/ draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DesF wrote: »
    Thing is though, the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea aren't going to stand still, they will also be improving/strenghtening their squads.

You're absolutely right about other teams not standing still. I would question your logic about destination though. Given the choice between trying to oust Arbeloa and Finnan rather than Neville, O'Shea, Hargreaves and Brown, which would you choose?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Also, Liverpool were basically out of the title race early this season. So the team were playing with no title winning pressure. That can contribute to a couple more losses/ draws.

i could also say that Liverpool fielded weakened teams that they may not have done if they were in the race, so that could a few more points picked up ;)

also, stop with the no pressure thing, up until the derby at Anfield, we were fighting our biggest rivals for the final CL spot, theres quite a bit of pressure involved in that :)

malice_ wrote: »
    You're absolutely right about other teams not standing still. I would question your logic about destination though. Given the choice between trying to oust Arbeloa and Finnan rather than Neville, O'Shea, Hargreaves and Brown, which would you choose?

Football players have consistantly shown they aren't this smart. Players only ever leave top clubs to get first team football, so few of them actually don't join top 4 clubs cause they dont think they'll get enough games. Why? Because they all think they are amazing.

Chelsea are the best example, why Anelka would join, considering everyone here knows that Chelsea are going to try sign another top choice striker this summer is beyond me. SWP? Sidwell? Ben-Haim? Idiots

we're wearing our new jersey

strange

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement