Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Welcome to Liverpool the brand Mr. Alan. Soon you'll get rid of FC from your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lets hope they get off to winning ways in the new strip ... Looks well .. waiting for mine to be delivered. Hope to get it before the 22nd as its my b'day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PHB wrote: »
    Football players have consistantly shown they aren't this smart. Players only ever leave top clubs to get first team football, so few of them actually don't join top 4 clubs cause they dont think they'll get enough games. Why? Because they all think they are amazing.

Chelsea are the best example, why Anelka would join, considering everyone here knows that Chelsea are going to try sign another top choice striker this summer is beyond me. SWP? Sidwell? Ben-Haim? Idiots

Nothing wrong with being confident in your own ability. If all players had an inferior complex to other professionals they won't make it far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh I know this, but I was just explaining to Malice that players will consistantly join big clubs even though there are world class players playing in their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Question for Xavi:

How has Hammann fared over the entire course of the season? Will he be a City player next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Question for Xavi:

How has Hammann fared over the entire course of the season? Will he be a City player next year?

Like City as a whole he started out brilliant but has faded badly. When Jonno came back from injury it made more sense to give the two young lads (him and gelson) more game time to blood them. They are the future after all.

Didi has signed a one year contract up til next summer but rumours are he won't hang around if Sven leaves.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Like City as a whole he started out brilliant but has faded badly. When Jonno came back from injury it made more sense to give the two young lads (him and gelson) more game time to blood them. They are the future after all.

Didi has signed a one year contract up til next summer but rumours are he won't hang around if Sven leaves.

ty. I have only seen him two or three times in full and was very impressed each time (most notably at Old Trafford). Though obviously, you would be able to properly assess his performance.

I think the idea of Sven going is madness by the way (though I know there are other threads on these topics).

Thanks for the response.

I figure most would disagree, but I have been more and more impressed with Kuyt down the right hand side as the past few months have worn on. So impressed infact, that if he is still first choice there after the summer dealings I won't be unhappy at all.

Bit of Pink Floyd from the City fans - "Hey, Thaksin....leave our Sven alone!" Quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I figure most would disagree, but I have been more and more impressed with Kuyt down the right hand side as the past few months have worn on. So impressed infact, that if he is still first choice there after the summer dealings I won't be unhappy at all.

if he was a better crosser of the ball then maybe, but he constantly hits the first man.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

we absolutely always have our new home jersey for the last few games of the season when its being replaced. always.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Call_me_al wrote: »
    if he was a better crosser of the ball then maybe, but he constantly hits the first man.

most people would say he's the only person who actually beats the first man with his crosser.

oooh so close to being a goal, great save.

A super ball from Ireland at one end and then an unreal save from Hart at the other.

Cristiano Ronaldo	7	897'	Man. United
    Didier Drogba	6	908'	Chelsea
    Steven Gerrard	6	1093'	Liverpool
    Fernando Torres	6	916'	Liverpool
    Lionel Messi	6	808'	Barcelona
    Raúl González	5	714'	Real Madrid
    Ryan Babel	5	789'	Liverpool
    Dirk Kuyt	5	856'	Liverpool
    Deivid	5	814'	Fenerbahçe
    Frédéric Kanouté	5	731'	Sevilla

Liverpool well represented in the CL Top Scorers. All our attacking 4 in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cristiano Ronaldo	7	897'	Man. United
    Didier Drogba	6	908'	Chelsea
    Steven Gerrard	6	1093'	Liverpool
    Fernando Torres	6	916'	Liverpool
    Lionel Messi	6	808'	Barcelona
    Raúl González	5	714'	Real Madrid
    Ryan Babel	5	789'	Liverpool
    Dirk Kuyt	5	856'	Liverpool
    Deivid	5	814'	Fenerbahçe
    Frédéric Kanouté	5	731'	Sevilla

Liverpool well represented in the CL Top Scorers. All our attacking 4 in fact.

I think our attacking players have had a good distribution of goals.

Also with Benayoun on 10 and Crouch on about the same.

• Advertisement

Rafa was saying on Friday about hoping to finish the season with 6 players on double figures .. thats a definite improvement.

Although on the lfc.tv stats page we already have 6 in double figures:
    Torres, Gerrard, Crouch, Kuyt, Yossi & Babel.

I think thats in all comps. Not sure what the league stats are.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/stats/

Some free kick by Elano. Very unlucky.

lol. Dunne pwned by Torres. 1 - 0.

wowowow. Great pure volley from Kuyt produces a good save from Hart who also keeps an acrobatic follow up from Lucas out.

Plus, Hammann begins to warm up and receives a big reception from the fans. Awesome.

Hit the bar; miss a sitter; pile on the pressure. We should be up by a lot more.

• Advertisement

Great reception for Didi. Really nice to see and well deserved.

Hit the bar; miss a sitter; pile on the pressure. We should be up by a lot more.
    Happened too many times this season... :rolleyes:

GBX wrote: »
    Happened too many times this season... :rolleyes:

yuh. Tis true.

why is andy gray so critical of us not putting City away today, while i realise it is a problem he wasnt half as harsh when Arsenal nearly didnt score today.

and giving out about taking Gerrard off in an meaningless game is retarded - he cant hide his blue blood.

City looked poor and disinterested. We created loads of chances; were fun to watch and fully deserved the win. Good stuff.

Thought Insua did some good stuff in the second half even if he looked like he needs to work on his positional sense a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thought Insua did some good stuff in the second half even if he looked like he needs to work on his positional sense a bit.

The problem with all our LB's. They like to drift forward. Nice touches on him all the same and very little got by him. Thought Finnan was terrible on the right though. Can see now why Arbeloa was in for most of the games recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

why is andy gray so critical of us not putting City away today, while i realise it is a problem he wasnt half as harsh when Arsenal nearly didnt score today.

and giving out about taking Gerrard off in an meaningless game is retarded - he cant hide his blue blood.

He questions whether we are capable of making the step up while saying that this game was like most games that we drew this season, i.e. should be 3 or 4 up but then the opposition scrape a goal dispite being extremely ineffective for the whole match.

As I said a few posts up, 10 silly goals conceeded made a heck of a difference this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

PHB wrote: »
    Football players have consistantly shown they aren't this smart. Players only ever leave top clubs to get first team football, so few of them actually don't join top 4 clubs cause they dont think they'll get enough games. Why? Because they all think they are amazing.

Chelsea are the best example, why Anelka would join, considering everyone here knows that Chelsea are going to try sign another top choice striker this summer is beyond me. SWP? Sidwell? Ben-Haim? Idiots
    That's a fair point about the mentality of your average footballer. I'm pretty sure the 3 players you named moved because of money and not much else :). Wright-Philips hasn't developed much as a player at all and the other two have hardly featured for the first team.

Now, onto today's game, I thought Liverpool played very well in parts. Yet another fantasic strike from Torres. As has so often been the case this season, they couldn't find the second goal and only for a lack of composure from the opposition, could easily have squandered 2 of the 3 points available.

Interesting that yet again Voronin featured ahead of Crouch and I wonder was that Alonso's last game in a red shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

+1

Overall a decent debut. Hopefully he starts against Spurs too. My only criticism of him today, is that when there was another red shirt about, he seemed to let them tackle the city player. That said, he's only a young lad. Hopefully he has a big future for us.

Hopefully Nemeth gets a game against Spurs. Anythinh would be better that Voronin...dear God he was terrible today.

City looked poor and disinterested. quote]

Off the field problems seems to be affecting them ... They started the season great and went downhill quickly... Who knows how long their problems have been going on for. I wonder if its City that Ferguson was talking about when he said he knows of one team that the owner faxes the team before the game to the manager?

Im glad our gang didnt get sucked into any of the drama with the yanks. Fair play to Rafa for keeping the team focused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Keys ****ing hates us. Talking about Torres and Gerrard leaving. ****ing clowns.

Thought it was sly Shreeves asking Torres about his injury the other night, trying to trip him up imo and get him to land Rafa in it.

rosboy wrote: »
    Hopefully Nemeth gets a game against Spurs. Anythinh would be better that Voronin...dear God he was terrible today.
    I would also like to see Nemeth but I don't think Voronin did a lot wrong today. He had one long range shot blocked when he might have passed to Kuyt but that's all as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

just saw the goal there now, stufying for the finals so couldnt watch the game

some finish, abs walked past dick dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It had the end of season vibe to it. Still 20 shots to 3 or something so at least one team was trying :)

Torres needs one more to set a record.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    It had the end of season vibe to it. Still 20 shots to 3 or something so at least one team was trying :)

Torres needs one more to set a record.

Mike.

Hes equaled the record at the mo.

Which record is that Mike? The debut striker total?

malice_ wrote: »
    I would also like to see Nemeth but I don't think Voronin did a lot wrong today. He had one long range shot blocked when he might have passed to Kuyt but that's all as far as I remember.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Voronin made more than 1 or 2 passes. Thought his touch was terrible, and most of his passes were astray, or were so poor that the recipient had to break himself retrieving it. I know he's been injured most of the season, but anytime he's played in the past few games I think his short fallings have been more than just being rusty.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Voronin made more than 1 or 2 passes. Thought his touch was terrible, and most of his passes were astray, or were so poor that the recipient had to break himself retrieving it. I know he's been injured most of the season, but anytime he's played in the past few games I think his short fallings have been more than just being rusty.

His touch isnt great in general... I had high hopes when he was scoring pre season ... thought good signing for free. Oh how my thoughts quickly changed. Obviously Rafa and the staff saw videos etc before they signed him. I dont rate him at all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which record is that Mike? The debut striker total?

yep. RVN holds it right now I think.

Oh yeah, Insua - he did well I thought, looked tidy with the ball, didn't do anything rash in defending that I saw.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, Insua - he did well I thought, looked tidy with the ball, didn't do anything rash in defending that I saw.

Mike.

RVN & Torres hold it right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm not going to defend him, I think we can both agree that he has had a disappointing season. That wouldn't have changed even if he had scored today.

Mike.

Martin Tyler said it was Kevin Phillips, i thought it was RVN before though.

Martin Tyler said it was Kevin Phillips, i thought it was RVN before though.

I think I remember hearing that RVN has the record for the most goals in a debut season for a foreign player. I thought that was the record he was in contention for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Can't remember which one but one of the news programs tonight also mentioned Torres had equalled Roger Hunt's record of scoring in 8 homes games in a row. Here's hoping Torres rewrites lots of records over the next few seasons :)

• Advertisement

I think I remember hearing that RVN has the record for the most goals in a debut season for a foreign player. I thought that was the record he was in contention for.

it seems ruud has the most goals in a debut season while Phillips holds most PL goals in a debut season.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Can't remember which one but one of the news programs tonight also mentioned Torres had equalled Roger Hunt's record of scoring in 8 homes games in a row. Here's hoping Torres rewrites lots of records over the next few seasons :)

lets hope he doesnt get a bout of SSS...

RVN got 32 in his 1st season. ... Philips got 30 in his 1st Prem season

RVN got 32 in his 1st season. ... Philips got 30 in his 1st Prem season

Ruud only got 23 in the league though while Phillips got 30 in the league.

Right ... I didnt say RVN got them all in the PL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement