Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Speaking of stats/records it's interesting to note that (provided they don't lose next week) Liverpool have lost their fewest amount of games in a season for 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just to nip this debate in the bud, RVN's record is Most goals in a debut season for a foreign import. Well, RVN and Torres of course now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Keys ****ing hates us. Talking about Torres and Gerrard leaving. ****ing clowns.

Thought it was sly Shreeves asking Torres about his injury the other night, trying to trip him up imo and get him to land Rafa in it.

I found this to be ****ing comical also.. Any football club in debt that don't pay their bills will have to sell their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Is MOTD2 on or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is finished. Was on 1, enjoyed the game today, great atmosphere and also good to send the boys off before their summer break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

fans end of season bash in the Olympia pub/club in Liverpool tonight.

Carragher turned up at it.

Legend.

*interesting subtext is, it was the SOS season0end bash, and he was going on in a little speech he gave about he was with them all the way. the groups objective number 1 is getting rid of the yanks, carra knows this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

players and politics dont mix. dont want carra or any other player getting involved

This is a message from SOS, taken from another forum:
    Last night was special - a great occasion and everything Liverpool support is about. A big thank you to the performers and bands, those who organised it, The Olympia and those of you who came. We'd appreciate a bit of discretion about the very special guest and we'd also like to take the opportunity to thank him.

As a result of our ongoing dialogue, we've had it confirmed that Dubai are prepared to put a supporter's representative on the board and have approached SOS to work out exactly how such a thing should be done. We're taking this commitment at face value and expect them to follow up on it if they take control of the football club. We are not doing Dubai's PR for them, but feel obliged to say we've found the dialogue we've had with them to be rewarding and full of possibilities. There is the opportunity to change the way in which our football club is run and the way in which football clubs across the country are run. They may well disappoint us and their words do need to be followed up with actions but to this point those of us who have had discussions have been impressed.

A supporter on the board is a significant responsibility; one which we want but one which will need long consultation, with Dubai, with other agencies but most of all with you, the supporters. What we expect of such a role, how we want it to be defined, how we select it, these are key questions which tap into the bigger question which it is time to start asking: What, in 2008, do we expect of Liverpool FC in terms of how it manages itself off the pitch to compete on it? In the next fortnight we're going to try to start this debate across the forums. We don't think SOS and its management committee has all the answers, but collectively we are capable of answering this question and given the opportunity from Dubai we're capable of having these answers impact upon the football club should it change hands.

Lastly, we've won nothing yet. Hicks and Gillett are still here. We are working on more ways to make clear to the entire world how they've abdicated their responsibilities as custodians. When we have concrete plans we'll tell you how you can help. In the meantime we're listening to any suggestions you have. Let's redouble our efforts over the summer. This football club is the greatest in the land. It's supporters are the greatest in the land. We learnt that yet again last night. We shouldn't be lions led by duplicitious donkeys any longer. Let's change that.

Thank you for your support.

Spirit Of Shankly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've currently got a lot of sympathy for Liverpools situation in regards to their owners, even though they were silly enough to think that G&H would be any different to the Glaziers.

But if they are stupid enough to think that DIC will actually give the slightest **** what they think, then they really do deserve what will eventually happen to them. Decreased transfer budgets, extremely tight wage controls, youth system used as a cash cow, and most importantly of all, huge increases in ticket prices.

G&H are horrible owners. Just like the Glaziers. DIC are only better in one area, they can deliver the stadium. That's important for the long-term future of the club in terms of revenue taken in, but if it's only being used in order to make money, it makes little to no difference to Liverpool as a team, and will just let more day-trippers come into a stadium that will have completely priced out the average fan.

Would I trade DIC for G&H? Of course. Would I welcome them with open arms? You'd have to be a fool to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont know if it's been mentioned but I saw a horrendous rumour in a Sunday paper that we are in for Kenwyn Jones? Say it aint so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

A supported on the board might be good, or it could just be a PR exercise to keep them quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stekelly wrote: »
    Dont know if it's been mentioned but I saw a horrendous rumour in a Sunday paper that we are in for Kenwyn Jones? Say it aint so.

seriously, do people actually read transfer rumors in the media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

DIC need a PR man like General Krulak at Villa to appease the fans.
    Sheikh Krulak anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liam Harker who had cancer died earlier this afternoon.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Liam Harker who had cancer died earlier this afternoon.

Mike.

Jesus thats a real shame. poor kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Kenwyn Jones? Would not mind a bit if we signed him. Hes the potential to be a quality player. Cant see sunderland let him go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nor Keane let him go to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lad's, i've just had a bit of news.... was at a bit of a piss up here, but still only a small enough thing, 3 of us here (in austria) were drinking, when another guest came in who works in the hotel across the road, swearing that luis aragones was there tonight (its a tiny hotel, and noone is allowed in the restaurant if your not staying), and that the team is staying there for the summer! Its already been confirmed they're in the area, but this would be unreal, chance to actually chat with nando, and xabi, and pepe, and alvaro, and even little luis!

The only problem i have with is with the the lucky jersy i have with me, champions winner number 9, with cisse on the back, so i better try and get another so i can get the nando to sign it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Make sure you smuggle a sample of his semen back here too - it'd probably fetch quite a high price on these boards alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Lad's, i've just had a bit of news.... was at a bit of a piss up here, but still only a small enough thing, 3 of us here (in austria) were drinking, when another guest came in who works in the hotel across the road, swearing that luis aragones was there tonight (its a tiny hotel, and noone is allowed in the restaurant if your not staying), and that the team is staying there for the summer! Its already been confirmed they're in the area, but this would be unreal, chance to actually chat with nando, and xabi, and pepe, and alvaro, and even little luis!

The only problem i have with is with the the lucky jersy i have with me, champions winner number 9, with cisse on the back, so i better try and get another so i can get the nando to sign it!

you are only about an hours drive from Bad Ragaz in Switzerland, where Liverpool do they do their pre-season training. They stay in the Grand Hotel Hof Ragaz. Google it and you will see what a hotel is all about. Sometime around end of July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Jesus i hope not, that guy makes djimmi traore look like maldini.
    £8m for a 28year old whos no good.....?
    As someone said above, hes got great potential and is a power house......but no thanks, leave him where he is please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote: »
    I've currently got a lot of sympathy for Liverpools situation in regards to their owners, even though they were silly enough to think that G&H would be any different to the Glaziers.

But if they are stupid enough to think that DIC will actually give the slightest **** what they think, then they really do deserve what will eventually happen to them. Decreased transfer budgets, extremely tight wage controls, youth system used as a cash cow, and most importantly of all, huge increases in ticket prices.

G&H are horrible owners. Just like the Glaziers. DIC are only better in one area, they can deliver the stadium. That's important for the long-term future of the club in terms of revenue taken in, but if it's only being used in order to make money, it makes little to no difference to Liverpool as a team, and will just let more day-trippers come into a stadium that will have completely priced out the average fan.

Would I trade DIC for G&H? Of course. Would I welcome them with open arms? You'd have to be a fool to do so.

I have never heard so much hearsay and garbage in all my life, it reads like one of those obviously made up tabloid articles. Have you got ANYTHING available to back up the claims you are making there? At least SOS can say they have talked directly with DIC.. what can you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

spockety wrote: »
    I have never heard so much hearsay and garbage in all my life, it reads like one of those obviously made up tabloid articles. Have you got ANYTHING available to back up the claims you are making there? At least SOS can say they have talked directly with DIC.. what can you say?

Known facts on boards soccer forums...
    * Rafa has spent 3 trillion in the transfer market.
    * Torres cant score away from home.
    * Liverpool are always lucky in the champions league.
    * Take Gerrard and Torres out of the team and Liverpool would be relegated!
    * Fernando Torres would NOT be accosted by Mr Alan and Mellon if they met him in a dark room.
    * PHB always makes sensible and well constructed posts purely based on fact.

Please note all of the above are in fact false :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Decreased transfer budgets, extremely tight wage controls, youth system used as a cash cow.

This is entirely made up and extremely unlikely. It's hardly happened at United now has it. What big club in Europe uses their youth system primarily as a money making tool? West Ham?

• Advertisement

Its already been confirmed they're in the area, but this would be unreal, chance to actually chat with nando, and xabi, and pepe, and alvaro, and even little luis!

PM Dub13 he must have a full collection of shirts! :)

Mike.

This is entirely made up and extremely unlikely. It's hardly happened at United now has it. What big club in Europe uses their youth system primarily as a money making tool? West Ham?

hahaha
    you said big european club and west ham in the same sentence.
    sorry ill get my coat :pac:

Is it not pretty obvious that DIC are spending 18 months trying to buy a club
    for 100m more than they originally thought it was worth just so they can
    bleed it dry for its assets. This is inspite of the fact that the money they will
    be required to invest will more than likely never be fully recoverable.
    They are doing this not because of a huge interest in the club and football in
    general but because it will make them 0.00000000000001% richer than they
    already are :D

PHB if your argument was true then why dont they just buy newcastle?
    Huge fan base, huge stadium thats always full and very little requirement
    for investment in £25m+ players.
    Seems a lot more sensible since they are only doing it for the money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Seems all isnt rosey at united either 666 m of debt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/06/manchesterunited.premierleague

United play for the double on back of £58m losses last year
    David Conn
    The Guardian, Tuesday May 6 2008 Article history

Malcolm Glazer's takeover has led to Manchester United's financial fortunes taking a nosedive PJasienski/Getty

With Manchester United powering to a probable second successive Premier League title and ready for a Champions League final, it appears that life at Old Trafford could hardly be rosier, but the club's accounts, now published in full, detail a significantly bleaker picture of the club's finances under the ownership of the Florida-based Glazer family.

Before the family's 2005 takeover, United prided itself on being the only Premier League club regularly to make a significant profit, to have cash in the bank and, unlike all the others, no debts. After the leveraged takeover, the Glazer family loaded their borrowings on to the club and the position has changed. The accounts for the company that the Glazers use to own United show total borrowings, in the year to June 30 2007, were up to £666m, by far the highest of any English football club, ever. The total owed to all creditors, including the banks, was up to £764m and includes £56m that United owe to other clubs in transfer fee instalments on players Sir Alex Ferguson has signed.

The total interest payable by the club on its borrowings was £81m, although only £42m was actually paid. The rest, which accrued on the millions owed to hedge funds, is allowed to roll up until the whole amount has to be repaid in 2016, or, alternatively, until the Glazers can refinance it. A total of £152m is currently owed to hedge funds, at 14.25% interest a year - £22m from 2007-08. Last year the Glazers tried to refinance but were unable to strike a deal with financial institutions, and a spokesman acknowledged that the credit crunch is making it more difficult now.

David Gill, United's chief executive, announced the headline results back in January, stressing that United's phenomenal money-making power, with 76,000 crowding into Old Trafford and the Premier League's huge TV rights deals, had produced record income of £210m and operating profits of £75m. The full accounts show, however, that even though United made a further £11m profit from buying and selling players, the interest and other accounting provisions pushed United into recording an overall loss of £58m.

The accounts also reveal that by far the highest proportion of income, £92.5m, is still generated on home match days, and although the club has announced more modest ticket price rises for next season than for the previous two, supporters groups continue to protest that they are paying the debts of a takeover they opposed. "It is outrageous that supporters are paying the huge interest on these borrowings, which are worrying for the club's future," said Sean Bones of the Manchester United Supporters Trust. "Our money is pouring out to pay the Glazers, while they have not put a penny into the club."

The spokesman for the Glazer family pointed to the club's success on the field, and in generating income off it, as evidence of the family's competent management. "The family continue to run United as a business," he said. "Their model is to encourage success on the pitch by backing Sir Alex Ferguson, and to grow revenues off it. The interest payments are more than covered by the cash generated."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Meanwhile, speculation linking Liverpool with a move for Barcelona left back Eric Abidal is wide of the mark.

Benitez is in the market for a new left back with John Arne Riise likely to depart Anfield during the summer but Abidal is not on his shortlist and has not been watched by Liverpool’s scouts.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/05/06/lucas-adds-to-rafa-benitez-s-olympic-dilemma-100252-20867684/

If Lucas and Mascherano are selected for their international teams there isnt alot we can do about it. I take it they would be suspended by fifa if they refused to play/we refused to release them.

How many over-23s can each team select? Is there any chance they might opt for someone else instead of Javier?(I'd pick him, but im just wondering how they are fixed....will they bring someone else if they can only select 2 or 3 older players?)

• Advertisement

I think they are allowed 3 seniors.

Mike.

Maybe they will bring Zanetti, hes the captain i think, Tevez and Crespo......i dunno, just leave Javier here!!

That is exactly what has happened at United.

You are just being foolish.

DIC are about one thing and one thing only, making money. They will do what they can do make money. They don't give a **** about the history of the club, the current fans, or anything else that isn't about money.

Tell me any reason, any reason at all, why they wouldn't raise ticket prices to the highest possible levels that they can sustain. Seriously, any reason at all.
    PHB if your argument was true then why dont they just buy newcastle?
    Huge fan base, huge stadium thats always full and very little requirement
    for investment in £25m+ players.
    Seems a lot more sensible since they are only doing it for the money

Because Liverpool have a bigger fanbase to exploit. If they buy Liverpool, build the stadium, they can get more money out of the fans. They can then sell on Liverpool with a tidy profit, while during those years exploiting everything they can out of the club.

Jesus christ like, how ****ing naieve can you be? They are business men. They'll do whatever they can to make money.

DIC are the lesser of two evils, no doubt. But to be bloody happy that they own the club is just idiotic.

DIC are about one thing and one thing only, making money. They will do what they can do make money. They don't give a **** about the history of the club, the current fans, or anything else that isn't about money.

Tell me any reason, any reason at all, why they wouldn't raise ticket prices to the highest possible levels that they can sustain. Seriously, any reason at all.

Because Liverpool have a bigger fanbase to exploit. If they buy Liverpool, build the stadium, they can get more money out of the fans. They can then sell on Liverpool with a tidy profit, while during those years exploiting everything they can out of the club.

Jesus christ like, how ****ing naieve can you be? They are business men. They'll do whatever they can to make money.

DIC are the lesser of two evils, no doubt. But to be bloody happy that they own the club is just idiotic.

arent the latest reports that dic will have a stake but the dubai govt via a company will also hold a stake so as to exempt the club from the usual requirements of a dic investment?

Jesus christ like, how ****ing naieve can you be?

But to be bloody happy that they own the club is just idiotic.

Cheers for the abuse, obviously there is little point in reporting it though.

You've let us know we are fools, idiots, and ****ing naive. Thanks for your contribution.

And to think I used to reckon you were a decent poster on this thread.

You are talking rubbish in this instance, you have no facts on which to base anything you are saying with regards to how DIC could run Liverpool should they take over. You can talk about United all you want, as the Glazers have shown how they run your club. We can even talk about Hicks and Gillett too, as they have shown how they run ours. But you are coming from a nowhere stance in preaching to us idiots how DIC will run our club if and when they take over.

Liverpool fans are coming from a point where their club has owners who have consistently lied, and undermined the club and managers position. They have ridden roughshod over the traditions of the club, and placed a burden of debt which they specifically promised they would not. From that as your starting point, then yes people are optimistic about the prospect of a DIC takeover.

Man Utd on the other hand are coming from a point where they have been winning the league consistently over the last fifteen years, and are at a point where the Glazers takeover has not hindered that, and in fact may have helped it. Trying to compare that with Liverpool, no matter how much abuse you throw in, or how much patronizing authoritative tones you use, is pointless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Fair play to Bellamy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7385488.stm

Also I see everton are being linked with Joaquin.....
    Everton have approached Valencia about a deal for their Spain international winger Joaquin, but they face compeition for his signature from Roma. (Football365.com, 1322 BST)

To be honest thats bull****.
    Bigger fanbase thats true but they will have to spend probably in the region
    of £700m-£800m to buy the club, build the stadium invest in players and
    challenge the likes of United.
    Even if that did happen who on earth is going to pay £1bn for Liverpool?
    Answer is no one.
    At the moment they are paying over the odds for the club which is as much
    down to interest on a sporting front as it is a financial front.

You may aswell start finishing off your posts with FACT!
    That way people will know to completely ignore them instead of wasting
    their time reading the same rehashed rubbish.

Fair play to Bellemy , nice to see he is going to put some of his money to good cause. as it says there, the education etc is very important too. who knows he might unearth the next momo sissoko :D (yes i am aware he is from Mali by the way!)

Oh and Corriere Dello Sport are linking Xavi with Juve ( i was just googling looking for Juventus kit and it came up....its in italian if anyone is interested the link is here)

actually i think it is quoting the telegraph, so its probably just rumour mongering again, sorry for wasting everyones time, iv typed this much so il finish!

Yes, real thrifty last summer weren't they.

Cheers for the abuse, obviously there is little point in reporting it though.

You've let us know we are fools, idiots, and ****ing naive. Thanks for your contribution.

And to think I used to reckon you were a decent poster on this thread.

You are talking rubbish in this instance, you have no facts on which to base anything you are saying with regards to how DIC could run Liverpool should they take over. You can talk about United all you want, as the Glazers have shown how they run your club. We can even talk about Hicks and Gillett too, as they have shown how they run ours. But you are coming from a nowhere stance in preaching to us idiots how DIC will run our club if and when they take over.

Liverpool fans are coming from a point where their club has owners who have consistently lied, and undermined the club and managers position. They have ridden roughshod over the traditions of the club, and placed a burden of debt which they specifically promised they would not. From that as your starting point, then yes people are optimistic about the prospect of a DIC takeover.

Man Utd on the other hand are coming from a point where they have been winning the league consistently over the last fifteen years, and are at a point where the Glazers takeover has not hindered that, and in fact may have helped it. Trying to compare that with Liverpool, no matter how much abuse you throw in, or how much patronizing authoritative tones you use, is pointless.

I'm not being insulting towards you. You've already been completely and utterly ****ed over by your current owners. Like actually lied to on a consistant basis, constantly ignored, and constantly screwed over.
    Yet people are willing to hope that DIC will somehow be different. They won't. The only difference is they can deliver the stadium.

Also the idea that they are buying it on a sporting front is just delusional.

This isn't an attack on Liverpool fans. It's all bloody fans. People willing to accept the crap that these new owners feed them. Every bloody time, they think some owner is going to be different, that their owner is going to be special.

The best thing to come out of this sitation has been the attempt by the Liverpool fans to try and buy out the club. I'd love if that happened, unfortunately it's a little unfeasible due to the money required.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

• Advertisement

I'm not being insulting towards you. You've already been completely and utterly ****ed over by your current owners. Like actually lied to on a consistant basis, constantly ignored, and constantly screwed over.
    Yet people are willing to hope that DIC will somehow be different. They won't. The only difference is they can deliver the stadium.

The best thing to come out of this sitation has been the attempt by the Liverpool fans to try and buy out the club. I'd love if that happened, unfortunately it's a little unfeasible due to the money required.

Why won't DIC be different? It's looking more and more likely that they are looking to buy Liverpool for the prestige rather than as an investment. They won't get the club unless they pay way over the odds and then they have to spend hundreds of millions on a stadium. They are very unlikely to make any profit on resale of the club. There is a very good reason that there is not one single buyer out there for the club. It's not a good investment. No matter what costs they cut or prices they up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who says that DIC will buy the club, then just not build the stadium?

Didn't G&H promise a new stadium, but now aren't building it, for whatever reason.

Why wouldn't DIC do the same?

Why won't DIC be different? It's looking more and more likely that they are looking to buy Liverpool for the prestige rather than as an investment. They won't get the club unless they pay way over the odds and then they have to spend hundreds of millions on a stadium. They are very unlikely to make any profit on resale of the club. There is a very good reason that there is not one single buyer out there for the club. It's not a good investment. No matter what costs they cut or prices they up.

Because they are business men.

The whole prestige thing is just unsubstainated fan rumours, because it'd be nice.

In terms of pricing, they don't look to be paying hugely over the odds for Liverpool. That's why we haven't seen them buy it yet imo. G&H don't want to sell, but they relaly don't want to sell without making a decent profit. DIC aren't willing to give them that profit. I've no idea where you've gotten this whole they are willing to buy at an over-priced level.

Secondly, there is big money to be made in the stadium. That's why clubs do it. They cost lots, yes, but you get the loans against the future ticket prices, and eventually you pay it off, and you've grown massively as a business. It's why people expand stadiums, and it's how Arsenal worked.

I'm not being insulting towards you.

Yes, you are. You might not think it, but you are.

Whatever about the language you're using (foolish, naive, idiotic), you are insulting our intelligence by masquerading your opinion in a cloak of 'fact', assuming we should take it as gospel, without offering anything in the way of supporting evidence to back up your predictions of Liverpool's future under possible DIC ownership. I suspect that the only thing you would be willing to proffer is something along the lines of "DIC are a business, full stop, and this is how businesses work"...?

I can't imagine what else you could come up with, since unlike Glazers, or Hicks/Gillett, we don't have a football club that DIC have run on which we can base assumptions about how they behave in that role.

This isn't an attack on Liverpool fans. It's all bloody fans. People willing to accept the crap that these new owners feed them. Every bloody time, they think some owner is going to be different, that their owner is going to be special.

I think if you asked Aston Villa, or Chelsea fans, if they are happy in general with the behavior of their new owners, you would get a favorable response overall.

If you have evidence of DIC incompetence or ineptitude in sporting affairs, we are all ears.

DesF wrote: »

Didn't G&H promise a new stadium, but now aren't building it, for whatever reason.

i do :pac:

Because they are business men.

The whole prestige thing is just unsubstainated fan rumours, because it'd be nice.

The irony is positively dripping. :rolleyes:

So the devil you know is better than the devil you don't?

And you're just going to believe that this new devil is going to be something special?

If DIC come out and say, hey, we're not buying the club for profit, we're buying it to break even and have some fun, then fine. I'd be happy with DIC taking over then to.

But to think that these people are going to willingly sink money into the club is nothing short of naieve, foolish, and idiotic, since everything we know about them does not suggest that they will do this. Like nothing at all suggests this. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

DesF wrote: »

iirc they're waiting on the final go ahead in relation to planning, etc.. on the scaled back Hicks bowl. That's due very shortly and in theory G&H can start work then (restart actually as they had started before on the original Hicks bowl).

So in theory it's not that G&H are not building the stadium - they're just not building they one they decided to show to the world in all it's glory despite being advised not to at the time and can't start work on the scaled back version as they don't have approval to do so just yet. Whether or not they go ahead with the revised/scaled down plans once they get all the relevant approval remains to be seen - they have already borrowed the money to start the work so it's not as if they need to go begging to the banks again now but I strongly suspect that they'll find some way to stall it.

PHB wrote:
    But to think that these people are going to willingly sink money into the club is nothing short of naieve, foolish, and idiotic, since everything we know about them does not suggest that they will do this. Like nothing at all suggests this. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

And on the other hand, you have nada, zilch, zero evidence to suggest we will witness:

"Decreased transfer budgets, extremely tight wage controls, youth system used as a cash cow, and most importantly of all, huge increases in ticket prices."

"They don't give a **** about the history of the club, the current fans, or anything else that isn't about money."

"Yet people are willing to hope that DIC will somehow be different. They won't. The only difference is they can deliver the stadium."

You have offered us nothing to support any of this. You continue to post and post and post the same stuff over and over without addressing the fact that you are offering no evidence whatsoever on which to base these groundless claims.

The piece de resistance being "Because they are business men. The whole prestige thing is just unsubstainated fan rumours, because it'd be nice."

I mean, holy f***ing sh**balls, the above sentences and how ridiculously contradictory they are should tell us all we need to know about every posting of yours today on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It's long been know that the main mover in teh DIC attempt to buy LFC is Al-Ansari and he is a known Liverpool fan. Long before the proposed take over was discussed he attended matches. And - believe it or not - they may not be viewing this purely as a business. Sheik Mohammed has a bit of a liking for racehorses and seems to be quite happy to put money in there to sustain his hobby (you may have heard of his stable, Gololphin, they win the occasional race)

Say what you like but the value being placed on the club is inflated. Even with a new stadium it is difficult to see how DIC would make any kind of return on the investment. If they won't make a return then the only reason they are still interested is for vanity.

But here's the real point that you've missed.

It doesn't matter WHY they want to buy, thier actions will be the same. To increase teh value of the club they will have to wipe out the debt. This is a good thing. They'll have to build the new stadium. This is a good thing. They'll need to raise the profile of teh club, best done by being successful, having marketable (ie good) players and winning trophies. This is a good thing.

The only negative of DIC running the club on business lines is that ticket prices might go up and the first team might have to go on Man Utd style far eastern tours. Well, those things are going to happen anyway under G&H.

Regardless of which way you cut it DIC is better than G&H, why are we foolish, idiotic or naive to understand that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement