Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seriously folks, just ignore PHB's posts in this thread. I don't even bother reading them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

It's long been know that the main mover in teh DIC attempt to buy LFC is Al-Ansari and he is a known Liverpool fan.

Some suspect the while Al-Ansari/DIC may be the front of their bid due to his long standing connections with people within the club that the real movers behind the deal are in fact Al Maktoum & one of his sons. If there is any truth to that then it would change most peoples perceptions significantly about why DIC are buying the club. That's just hearsay for now - however the continued interest in doing a deal despite said deal having become significantly less attractive for a company like DIC over the last 18 months suggests there could be more to it than just another investment on DICs behalf. Only time will tell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ugh I don't know why I even beother,
    PHB wrote: »
    I've currently got a lot of sympathy for Liverpools situation in regards to their owners, even though they were silly enough to think that G&H would be any different to the Glaziers.

But if they are stupid enough to think that DIC will actually give the slightest **** what they think, then they really do deserve what will eventually happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

we dont either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cyrus wrote: »
    Seems all isnt rosey at united either 666 m of debt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/06/manchesterunited.premierleague

United play for the double on back of £58m losses last year
    David Conn
    The Guardian, Tuesday May 6 2008 Article history

Malcolm Glazer's takeover has led to Manchester United's financial fortunes taking a nosedive PJasienski/Getty

With Manchester United powering to a probable second successive Premier League title and ready for a Champions League final, it appears that life at Old Trafford could hardly be rosier, but the club's accounts, now published in full, detail a significantly bleaker picture of the club's finances under the ownership of the Florida-based Glazer family.

Before the family's 2005 takeover, United prided itself on being the only Premier League club regularly to make a significant profit, to have cash in the bank and, unlike all the others, no debts. After the leveraged takeover, the Glazer family loaded their borrowings on to the club and the position has changed. The accounts for the company that the Glazers use to own United show total borrowings, in the year to June 30 2007, were up to £666m, by far the highest of any English football club, ever. The total owed to all creditors, including the banks, was up to £764m and includes £56m that United owe to other clubs in transfer fee instalments on players Sir Alex Ferguson has signed.

The total interest payable by the club on its borrowings was £81m, although only £42m was actually paid. The rest, which accrued on the millions owed to hedge funds, is allowed to roll up until the whole amount has to be repaid in 2016, or, alternatively, until the Glazers can refinance it. A total of £152m is currently owed to hedge funds, at 14.25% interest a year - £22m from 2007-08. Last year the Glazers tried to refinance but were unable to strike a deal with financial institutions, and a spokesman acknowledged that the credit crunch is making it more difficult now.

David Gill, United's chief executive, announced the headline results back in January, stressing that United's phenomenal money-making power, with 76,000 crowding into Old Trafford and the Premier League's huge TV rights deals, had produced record income of £210m and operating profits of £75m. The full accounts show, however, that even though United made a further £11m profit from buying and selling players, the interest and other accounting provisions pushed United into recording an overall loss of £58m.

The accounts also reveal that by far the highest proportion of income, £92.5m, is still generated on home match days, and although the club has announced more modest ticket price rises for next season than for the previous two, supporters groups continue to protest that they are paying the debts of a takeover they opposed. "It is outrageous that supporters are paying the huge interest on these borrowings, which are worrying for the club's future," said Sean Bones of the Manchester United Supporters Trust. "Our money is pouring out to pay the Glazers, while they have not put a penny into the club."

The spokesman for the Glazer family pointed to the club's success on the field, and in generating income off it, as evidence of the family's competent management. "The family continue to run United as a business," he said. "Their model is to encourage success on the pitch by backing Sir Alex Ferguson, and to grow revenues off it. The interest payments are more than covered by the cash generated."

Well that makes for interesting reading..

I wonder what this means for United as a club for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote:

I've currently got a lot of sympathy for Liverpools situation in regards to their owners, even though they were silly enough to think that G&H would be any different to the Glaziers.

But if they are stupid enough to think that DIC will actually give the slightest **** what they think, then they really do deserve what will eventually happen to them.

Seeing as you're on the Liverpool superthread, you may as well say "you" instead of "they/them".

Stadium Planning permission decision today:
    From the AP news service

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) - Liverpool's plans for a new stadium have been approved by legislators in the northern England city.

Liverpool council tells the The Associated Press that a planning committee unanimously approved construction of a 60,000-seat venue to replace the 115-year-old Anfield stadium.

The club's plans were for a 71,000-capacity stadium, but the council said "future proofing" had been built into Tuesday's decision.

However, the stadium will be limited to 45,000 seats if traffic management issues aren't resolved.

Two previous plans had been granted approval. The initial designs were revised when American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr. bought the club last year.

In January, rising costs forced them to scale back plans for a sleek, asymmetrical design.

Liverpool Echo
    LIVERPOOL FC’s third stadium plan was approved today.

Councillors gave the go-ahead to the £350m proposal for a 60,000-seater ground in Stanley Park at Liverpool town hall.

It is the third time in five years the council has backed a stadium scheme from the Reds, but it is still unclear when work will start.

The club’s American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett ordered a massive redesign of the original proposal when they took over last year and their plan was approved last summer.

But it was shelved and redrawn a second time by Dallas-based architects HKS earlier this year when the tycoons decided it was too expensive.
    Today, the council’s planning committee backed a scheme showing a number of crucial changes, notably a smaller underground car park beneath the stadium and a reduced height.

Daily Post

LIVERPOOL FC’s third stadium plan was approved today.

Councillors gave the go-ahead to the £350m proposal for a 60,000-seater ground in Stanley Park at Liverpool town hall.

It is the third time in five years the council has backed a stadium scheme from the Reds, but it is still unclear when work will start.

The club’s American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett ordered a massive redesign of the original proposal when they took over last year and their plan was approved last summer.

But it was shelved and redrawn a second time by Dallas-based architects HKS earlier this year when the tycoons decided it was too expensive.
    Today, the council’s planning committee backed a scheme showing a number of crucial changes, notably a smaller underground car park beneath the stadium and a reduced height.

The alterations do not affect the restoration of the rest of Stanley Park, which is already underway.

A number of residents, community leaders and heritage experts objected, but the plan was eventually backed unanimously by the nine-man committee.

Chairman Dave Irving, who visited the stadium site this morning, said: “We had a good look at the park and saw the work being carried out on some of the listed buildings.

“It is quite exciting and will certainly benefit Anfield’s regeneration.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

With the greatest respect how does that answer the points I made?

Assuming the takeover happens DIC will be different to G&H (or the Glazers for that matter) for teh following reasons:
    • They will wipe out the club debt. A debt free club is more valuable, clearing teh debt makes business sense as it relieves the interest repayments which increases cashflow making for a more stable and profitable business. A stable and profitable business is a valuable business
    • They can deliver a top class stadium. They have the financial muscle to be able to press on with developing a world class stadium irrespective of the credit crunch. They would do this because the long term success of teh LFC business depends on it
    • They will revamp the clubs commercial operations. Hicks was right - we are 15 years behind in commercial terms. DIC would bring in much needed expertise on sponsorship and alternative means of revenue generation. This isn't just hikes in ticket prices but is related to the sale of merchandise (availability would be a good start) and opening new markets. For example we are would be well placed to sell a lot of merchandise in the Middle East.

Where they would be at least as good
    • Backing the manager - Rafa needs funds for players. G&H are talking it but we need to see the proof. DIC may want Rafa to balance the books but equally (like the Glazers) they will appreciate that marquee names shift shirts. How many Torres shirts do you think have been shifted since he's been signed. How big a boost to our profile were the CL win and final apperance? Success sells
    • The unpleasant side of the business. Ticket prices will go up. There will be tours to far flung places. They might sell naming rights. But all of this was on teh table as soon as Moores started hawking the club
    • Media and relations. Like G&H they seem happy to use the press in the takeover talks. But at least they are in discussions with SOS about a fan representative on the board and traditionally, if you look at Goldolphin, the media relations have been excellent.

So I'll ask again, regardless of which way you cut it DIC is better than G&H, why are we foolish, idiotic or naive to understand that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I wonder the same thing after reading your endless posts in this thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Seriously folks, just ignore PHB's posts in this thread. I don't even bother reading them.

+1

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    However, the stadium will be limited to 45,000 seats if traffic management issues aren't resolved.
    And there's the next stalling option for G&H if they so want it. After all there's no point in spending all that money to build a shiny new stadium that you can't fit any more people into than you can in your current one across the road. Personally I'll be surprised to see another penny being spent on the stadium while the current crap between Tom, DIC & Parry is on going.

zing wrote: »
    Tom, DIC & Parry

Very droll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

They will wipe out the club debt.
    Says who, nobody buys a club/company/business out of their own pocket. You need to live in the real world, debt will always be part of the deal but the ability to manage the debt is the key. The Saudis wont buckle under pressure from the banks are will be in a much better position to manage the clubs debt

[*] They can deliver a top class stadium. They have the financial muscle to be able to press on with developing a world class stadium irrespective of the credit crunch. They would do this because the long term success of teh LFC business depends on it

I concur and the new stadium is key to your clubs future
    [*] They will revamp the clubs commercial operations. Hicks was right - we are 15 years behind in commercial terms. DIC would bring in much needed expertise on sponsorship and alternative means of revenue generation. This isn't just hikes in ticket prices but is related to the sale of merchandise (availability would be a good start) and opening new markets. For example we are would be well placed to sell a lot of merchandise in the Middle East.
    [/LIST]

Do you really think the Saudis are experts in marketing and deriving value from commercial ventures, moreso than the Americans. Again, this is nonsense.

However, They will be able to focus on the long term when developing commercial ventures which will add value to the club unlike the Americans who are only interested in massaging their own debt (ala Utd).

One last thing, Goldolphin isnt a toy, it makes a huge amount of money (be careful they dont use Torres and Gerard to impregnate the next Saudi football team, although it would be a small price to pay for your next league title :D)

All valid points...

On teh debt there will always be a certain amount of debt in any business - very few manage without an overdraft for example. I'm talking though about large scale long term debt. With interest rates as high as they are (Glazers are at 14% on the hedge fund money) there is no sense in a cash rich organisation like DIC paying interest if they don't need to. Business finance is like personal finance in that sense - no gain in investing until you have disposed of debt as your income will never outstrip the interest. And get rid of expensive debt first. So I don't agree that there will be large, long term debt on LFC if DIC buy in.

I don't think that the Saudi's are hot at sales and marketing at all. But if you look at Dubai it's gone from a desert to one of teh worlds top tourist destinations in a decade or so. They are excellent managers - they know what they know and buy in what they don't. And are damn ruthless about getting it.

Lastly Godolphin may make shedloads of cash now but it will have been capital intensive to establish. If it is making money now then so much the better as a model for LFC!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

--amadeus--, I'm not arguing with you, DIC are certainly better than G&H, infact you'll notice I've already said that.
    The key reason for that? The debt free nature.

But the things that they bring, a bigger stadium, revamped commerical stuff, will only benefit themselves. They won't help the club at all.

The two benefits of DIC?
    Bigger stadium that allows more people to see it (although I'd wager that most, if not all of the new seats will be executive seats like at Old Trafford)
    No debt so the club has less of a risk of going under

Those two things are why DIC are better. But they will still pursue the aggresive money making tactics that will help make them rich. This is why people should not welcome them with open arms, merely as a lesser of two evils.

Also, maybe DIC might buy players for marketing, but it's likely they'll do what United are currently doing, the bare minimum to maintain their market position. When this cycle of the United team ends, I truly worry for the future of our football. Without Fergie's eye for a bargin that he's found again lately, we'd be already ****ed.

The two benefits of DIC?
    Bigger stadium that allows more people to see it (although I'd wager that most, if not all of the new seats will be executive seats like at Old Trafford)
    No debt so the club has less of a risk of going under

Those two things are why DIC are better. But they will still pursue the aggresive money making tactics that will help make them rich. This is why people should not welcome them with open arms, merely as a lesser of two evils

Again this is all hear say and complete guesswork.
    There is as much a chance of DIC becomming Randy lerner or Abramovich as
    there is a new version of G&H.
    You are telling people what to believe based on pure and utter crap that you are making up.
    Please stop as you are starting to annoy everyone.
    You have no clue what DIC will do with the club nor does anyone else.
    They have a track record of excellence and being willing to spend big to achieve that.
    They are also fans of the team.
    Anything else you say after that is pretty much guesswork so please stop
    preaching as if you have inside knowledge or that you have seen it all before because you have not.
    You were most likely spouting the same crap in the Villa thread before Lerner took over.
    DIC look like they want the club, its obviously not for any short term profit or gain.
    If they want to spend 700m to make the club a worldwide football
    powerhouse in the hope that someone will offer them 900m for it i dont
    think there will be too many fans complaining considering the state we are
    in at the moment.
    It is far from being the lesser of 2 evils.

Going OT/getting back to football for just a mo - one of these might be worth going along to. Utd legends Vs 'pool legends in your choice of Dublin, Cork or Galway later this month.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004099DA172DEF
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004099DA4D2DF8
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004090A33418BF

apols if these have been posted before - don't recall seeing reference to them myself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2IXgUebtDQ

And Barry looks like being asked to become an LFC player this year:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3529943,00.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mad rumour that Lil Luis could be on his way back! It seems he and Rafa are still in regular contact and Raf said he had a player lined up who was not English but spoke it and was faimiliar with the prem ;) Its him I tell ya.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Mad rumour that Lil Luis could be on his way back! It seems he and Rafa are still in regular contact and Raf said he had a player lined up who was not English but spoke it and was faimiliar with the prem ;) Its him I tell ya.

Mike.

Where would he fit in the current formation though if he came back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Where would he fit in the current formation though if he came back??

IMO the current formation is absolutely tailor made for him! Would be perfect for the LWF or RWF positions. Did his best work from a wide attacking position when he had license to get into the box. Id quite like him back as backup to 2 top notch WF's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Garcia would be such a step backwards. He wasn't good enough then. He's not good enough now. He brought us some great memories but he's not what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mike.

Would be a big step back. I loved little Luis and he scored lots of important goals for us but he was horribly inconsistent. We need someone that can do what he did on a much more consistent level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

didnt Mr Alan suggest his return a good few pages back just to get shot down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He'd pretty much do the same as Kuyt only without Kuyts (fairly substatial) defensive contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think it would all depend on what role he would be brought back for. if its regular 1st teamer, as he was before, then yes its a step backwards, but if he came with, say, Silva and was going to be used more from the bench and against lesser teams and was obviously in our 2nd tier of players, i'd welcome him back with open arms. Inconsistent, yes, but he had a lot more input into our goals then people realised. Its only now when looking back at other players goal compilations that you see just how many he had a hand in. He was also very much a big game player, thrived on the big occasions.

Yeah - but that's an automatic reaction :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Interesting aticle regarding the potential move of Barry to Liverpool:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_3527660,00.html
    There were several peculiarities to the bid tabled by Liverpool on Thursday for Gareth Barry and, in the days that have followed since, Fleet Street has only added to the puzzlement.

Let's begin with the timing of the offer, made less than 24 hours after Liverpool's exit from the Champions League. Were, say, Arsenal to have bid for a new central defender after their own elimination then the matter would have been straightforward. But Liverpool are not in obvious need of a new central midfielder - the position in which Barry has prospered - and Fleet Street have struggled to provide adequate explanation for why his pursuit was seemingly prioritised in the wake of defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Perhaps Liverpool's intention was simply to let their intentions be known. But they must have realised that Villa would not welcome the bid and that any negotiations would be deferred until the end of the season. By seeking to gain a head start, they have instead run the risk of a serious stumble - the anger of Martin O'Neill at the "destabilising" approach will only harden his resistance to selling Barry to Liverpool.

According to The Guardian, Rafa Benitez is equally 'determined to pair Barry in midfield with his England team-mate and close friend Steven Gerrard'. Yet, even if accepting the implication that Xabi Alonso will be written out of the equation, that sentence also poses more questions than answers. What of Javier Mascherano? Has Benitez decided not to prolong Gerrard's partnership with Fernando Torres? Could it be that the Spaniard is considering introducing a new formation for next season?

Factor in the disclosure that Peter Crouch and Jermaine Pennant will be allowed to leave in the summer and it is possible to reach the conclusion that Benitez is considering the virtues of a 4-3-3 formation. Yet just as soon as that idea took route came the claim in The Independent that Barry 'is likely to be asked by Benitez to fulfil a role on the left side of midfield and defence rather than in the centre'.

It would be nonsensical for Benitez to consider Barry as a defender given the breakthrough the player has just achieved in the centre of midfield; it would, however, tally with the notion of a 4-3-3 were Barry to be deployed off centre with Gerrard on the other side of Mascherano. On paper at least, it is a formidable combination.

Less gratifying to Liverpool supporters will be the disclosure that when the piece of paper declaring Benitez's interest in Barry was sent on Thursday to Villa, a cash offer was conspicuous by its absence. Instead, revealed O'Neill, the offer consisted of "a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges". Benitez knows the importance of cash. The aftermath of last May's Champions League final was dominated by his demand for substantial funds. Twelve months later, did he sanction the cashless bid for Barry in order to highlight the constraints under which he is currently operating?

Or it may be the case that, having been told by Benitez that Barry was his number one summer target, the bid was the composition of Rick Parry, the club's chief executive. If so, its amateurish manner will only reinforce Benitez's ill-disguised belief that Parry is incapable of conducting the club's transfer business.

Even the actual manifestation of the bid was slack. "The fax was signed as a pp on behalf of the chief executive," lamented an already-aggrieved O'Neill. As yet, none of Fleet Street's publications has offered any sort of explanation as to why in the days of instant communication and sophisticated technology, football clubs are still conducting their business via such clumsy and unreliable means.

The second half of the article is of particular interest. I genuinely believe that Rafa is shrewd enough to do something like that.

Saying that, I think a midfield 3 of Barry, Masch and Gerard would be interesting.. Don't think that this is what he really is planning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i have no idea what to make of all these barry rumours, i know i would like him to be a liverpool player as he is very very good, but i don't think it'll happen don't know why, but we'll see.

mayordenis wrote: »
    i have no idea what to make of all these barry rumours, i know i would like him to be a liverpool player as he is very very good, but i don't think it'll happen don't know why, but we'll see.

They depress me. Hes a good player, not an amazing player. He also happens to play in the position that we are by far, strongest in. We should be spending 100% of our transfer funds on the flanks. Preferably the attacking flanks.

Attacking players that Rafa has bought.

-Crouch
    -Voronin
    -Torres
    -Bellamy
    -Fowler
    -Kuyt
    -Pennant
    -Luis Garcia
    -Zenden
    -Babel

He really needs to splash the cash again on a quality attacker if you ask me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

for me zenden and voronin were the only ones in that list that were of little use, and they were both free.
    everyone else for me was either good enough or worth the money paid ie. bellamy sold on for more.

mayordenis wrote: »
    for me zenden and voronin were the only ones in that list that were of little use, and they were both free.
    everyone else for me was either good enough or worth the money paid ie. bellamy sold on for more.

I agree. I think he has done well for the most part for the money he has spent....but how many of them are real top class additions ? We have enough good players, we need more top quality players.

Reina
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Carragher
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Torres

They are our best players and 6 of the 8 are defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Report in the Liverpool Daily Post suggests that Harry cost Liverpool £157, 000 per game played. To be honest i thought it would be more. The definition of a wasted career, he had so much potential but was unlucky with injuries and obviously lacked motivation at times.

It also suggests that Insua could be called in to this Olympic muck, who is going to be left? :o

The olympics might be good for Insua, is flipping maddness for Lucas to be going though.
    He needs a good pre season to try and start the season with some bit of form
    or else he is going to have another season like this one where he has been the Liverpool
    version of Darren Fletcher.
    He does realise that to play for Brazil you have to be playing first team football regularly?
    He is not going to be doing that if another CM is brought in and his form is a continuation
    of the average at best performances he has put on this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It amazes me that fans of teams who have players going to these international tournaments moan and faff about players going.

FFS like, the club, the manager knew that these players were more than likely going to be going to these tournaments when they signed them.

Like 'Arry having a whinge about the African Nations.

Far from whinging Des, tournaments like these were the making of players like Mascherano and Riquelme.
    I just dont see how Lucas going, sitting on the bench for all the matches more than likely
    would benefit him when he could be having a full pre season which he badly needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

DesF wrote: »
    It amazes me that fans of teams who have players going to these international tournaments moan and faff about players going.

FFS like, the club, the manager knew that these players were more than likely going to be going to these tournaments when they signed them.

Like 'Arry having a whinge about the African Nations.
    Believe it or not, i didnt actually sign the players for Liverpool, so i think i can have a moan about the tournament! As mike says, its probably good for younger players, but Masch is an established player at this stage, how many International tournaments should full internationals be asked to play in?
    Each continent has there own tournament (euros, Copa America etc) and the world cup, surely the Olympics should be restricted for under age players and players with limited caps.......which means that Lucas is within his rights to go.

Having said that, its in the interest of his Liverpool career not to go, to stay and try to establish himself (perhaps while Masch is gone!??!)

I think it's unfair to the guy to dismiss his chances of featuring in any of the games like that. Sure competition in any Brazilian team will be strong but he did get to captain them at u-20 (or was it u-21) level and at 22 or whatever age he is has already featured for one of their senior squads (Brazil having the luxury of having multiple first teams depending on where they'll be playing).

Not many athletes will turn down the opportunity to represent their country at any level and I can see the appeal of the Olympics to players in that age bracket. Yes it would be nice to see him get a full pre season under his belt and hit the ground running in August but it's a once in a life time opportunity for him so if that chance comes round for him then I for one think he should jump at it.

zing wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to the guy to dismiss his chances of featuring in any of the games like that. Sure competition in any Brazilian team will be strong but he did get to captain them at u-20 (or was it u-21) level and at 22 or whatever age he is has already featured for one of their senior squads (Brazil having the luxury of having multiple first teams when where they'll be playing).

Not many athletes will turn down the opportunity to represent their country at any level and I can see the appeal of the Olympics to players in that age bracket. Yes it would be nice to see him get a full pre season under his belt and hit the ground running in August but it's a once in a life time opportunity for him so if that chance comes round for him then I for one think he should jump at it.

Well that is probably true.
    A chance to play for Brazil in the Olympics is great, but he will lose yet more
    ground in the Liverpool midfield pecking order if he does.
    If Macherano and Lucas are gone, Plessis may get a few games and impress
    if he has a good preseason.
    That will surely limit Lucas first team chances.

I have said it a dozen times but i think he is a very average player and as a
    result will have to work as hard as possible to try and establish himself as
    a good squad player not to mention a first choice starter.
    Going to the olympics will mean it maybe October before he is fully up to
    premiership pace again.
    Catch 22 situation really :pac:

Either way i think buying barry is a good move because as was said a few
    posts earlier Lucas would really benefit from being loaned out and playing 30
    games this season for someone like Sunderland. He needs games and lots of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

is the barry deal not being done because rafa expects alonso to leave?even if he doesnt i think a title chasing team needs as many quality players in important positons as possible.United have hargreaves,scholes,carrick and anderson and fletcher to come off the bench.Barry will be a squad player who can also fill in a left back if needed.
    Also the deal will involve very little cash and will get rid of one possibly two of the deadwood.Very good deal if we can get him.

After watching that DIC promo video I would definitely not want those blaggards anywhere near LFC!! ............................. (Not)

I think I have finally understood PHB's position.. he's obviously cacking himself at the prospect of Liverpool coming up the hill backed by DIC, as United lose Fergie to retirement and struggle with their own ownership woes once the great man has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mike.

*cough* cough*

Yes, Yes he did.

One day people will take me seriously ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didnt see your post Mr Alan (honest! :) )

I'm sure its a bit of wishful thinking by someone.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    One day people will take me seriously ;)
    lol

...........he drinks sangria
    he came back from atletico to bring us joy
    hes 5ft 7, he's football heaven
    Please dont take, our luis, away!!

all together now, that would be class

im not ashamed to say i cried the day fowler re - signed, im a sucker for this stuff :o

DesF wrote: »
    lol

or maybe we'll all listen to DESF and PHB :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This isn't surprising but from here, Benitez confirms that Kewell will be off. I wonder who's going to get the number 7 shirt now?
    No new deal for Harry Kewell at Liverpool FC

RAFAEL BENITEZ has called time on Harry Kewell’s disappointing Liverpool career.
    The Australian will not be offered a new deal at Anfield when his current contract expires at the end of the season.

Such an outcome has been inevitable with Kewell having not figured for Liverpool since the FA Cup defeat to Barnsley in February.

The 29-year-old was signed in a blaze of publicity by then Anfield manager Gerard Houllier for £5million from Leeds United in July 2003.

Kewell scored 11 goals in his first season but, since Benitez assumed charge in 2004, has been dogged by a catalogue of series injuries ranging from serious groin, knee, thigh and ankle problems to septic arthritis in his foot.

Nevertheless, Benitez has been a consistent admirer of the Australian and turned to Kewell for all four of the major finals of his tenure.

Typically, though, Kewell limped off injured in the Carling Cup final in 2005, the Champions League final later that season and the FA Cup final the following year before emerging from the bench in the 2007 Champions League final despite having previously played only 46 minutes that season.

The Australian, who is unlikely to be given the chance of a swansong at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, has made 138 appearances and scored 16 goals in his five years at Anfield.

And when wages and his transfer fee are taken into consideration, Kewell has cost Liverpool an estimated £157,000 per game.

Kewell has been determined to stay at Anfield but is thought to have already lined up a possible move elsewhere, with Juventus among a clutch of potential suitors.

3m bid for a 17 yo from Cardiff city -- Aaron Ramsey
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=liverpool-bid-163-3m-for-cardiff-city-s-aaron-ramsey%26method=full%26objectid=20868852%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Maybe Rafa is just trying to get deals done quickly before Rick fecks off for his usual 2 or 3 week holiday at the start of the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I didnt see your post Mr Alan (honest! :) )

I'm sure its a bit of wishful thinking by someone.

Mike.

Not so sure Mike, rumour is he is available for 2 million. tbh, with the possible exception of Babel, he suits the two wide positions in our new formation better than anyone we currently have.

If we are operating on a tight budget, which we clearly are, i'd sign him up.

just a shame we didnt have him for the match against Chelsea! ;)

Also worth noting Rafa didnt want to let him go in the first place, and supposedly he never sold his gaf in Liverpool :)

and Des, stfu! you already take me seriously!:cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement