Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Mr Alan wrote: »
    One day people will take me seriously ;)

One day Mr Alan

* me looks off in the distance wistfully

One day, but not today! ;)

Garcia #7 !
    Lets start a petition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

IrishMike wrote: »
    Garcia #7 !
    Lets start a petition!
    I like it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Also worth noting Rafa didnt want to let him go in the first place, and supposedly he never sold his gaf in Liverpool :)

iirc the main driving forces behind his move back to Spain was his missus who wanted to bring their child up back in Spain.

Personally I don't think I'd have him back - he was a great little player for us and provided us with some great goals and memories and I'd be happy to keep those memories as they are. I just couldn't see him being a success if he came back and I think we need to be aiming higher.

zing wrote: »
    iirc the main driving forces behind his move back to Spain was his missus who wanted to bring their child up back in Spain.

Wimmins, the ruination of many a good man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Where you hear that Zing, afaik it was simply that Athletico wanted him as part of the Torres deal and he was tempted by a move back to spain.

well that hasnt really worked out for him, so COME BACK LUIS! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Zing is correct, the Atletico deal was convient rather than some grand plan. I imagine the missus will not want to return to the dark damp NW of England.

Mike.

well then he needs to **** that bint off and get back to anfield! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

spockety wrote: »
    I think I have finally understood PHB's position.. he's obviously cacking himself at the prospect of Liverpool coming up the hill backed by DIC, as United lose Fergie to retirement and struggle with their own ownership woes once the great man has gone.

Even if you truely believe this, you should keep your mouth shut as it leaves you very open to a big "**** you" when it all goes south.

it leaves you very open to a big "**** you"

PHB couldnt do that or he'd have to ban himself :)

• Advertisement

Even if you truely believe this, you should keep your mouth shut as it leaves you very open to a big "**** you" when it all goes south.

It will take years before that statement can be proved right/wrong.
    By then the only person who could find that post is pighead.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

IrishMike wrote: »
    It will take years before that statement can be proved right/wrong.
    By then the only person who could find that post is pighead.
    :pac:

don't worry, if it's proved right I'll find it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The worst thing about it, normally I'd take joy in pointing out how silly it is to believe DIC will be any different, but it just saddens me to see another football club get ****ed over by foreign owners while the supporters swallow all the crap they are given.

PHB wrote: »
    The worst thing about it, normally I'd take joy in pointing out how silly it is to believe DIC will be any different, but it just saddens me to see another football club get ****ed over by foreign owners while the supporters swallow all the crap they are given.

wat do you think we should do?

sit here and moan about both potential foreign owners? Despite not actually knowing wat DICs intentions are?

The one thing we know for sure is that G&H are bad news. This is undeniable. DIC are the much safer option to have as owners of our club.

This alone would have people feeling good about the potential takeover. But combining this with the history of the people involved from Dubai, the talks they've been having continuously with fans groups, the effort and time gone into the takeover, the takeover actually in the most part being by a section of the Dubai government as opposed to the investment company and the fact that they intend one of the seats on the board being a fans representative, people are feeling quite optimistic about it. cant see anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

seriously whats the point of that post? how do you know how it's gonna go? maybe we should just call you mystic meg.

Have Chelsea been ****ed over by Abramovich? What about Derby, Villa, West Ham, Fulham, Portsmouth? Where is the precedence for your consistent negative comments.

wat do you think we should do?

sit here and moan about both potential foreign owners? Despite not actually knowing wat DICs intentions are?

The one thing we know for sure is that G&H are bad news. This is undeniable. DIC are the much safer option to have as owners of our club.

This alone would have people feeling good about the potential takeover. But combining this with the history of the people involved from Dubai, the talks they've been having continuously with fans groups, the effort and time gone into the takeover, the takeover actually in the most part being by a section of the Dubai government as opposed to the investment company and the fact that they intend one of the seats on the board being a fans representative, people are feeling quite optimistic about it. cant see anything wrong with that.

I accept that Mr. Alan. I'm not denying that DIC are better than G&H, who the hell would.

People need to realise that DIC will **** you over, it's just they'll do it better than G&H. This will most certainly lead to an increased success on the pitch in the long term, but at huge costs.

People who actualy think that DIC won't act just as the Glazers have done are actually so guillible that I can't see a point in even arguing with them. Like they are believing in blind hope, when everything else shows that the owners will try and make money no matter what. What's amazing is that they have this belief even after the current owners lied to them consistantly, ****ed them over to no ends, yet they still think, it's ok, the new owners will be better. Everything we know about DIC suggests that they won't, except two or three random hopes, like one of the guys in Dubai happens to support Liverpool, or that they are willing to give the fans a seat on the board. They are manipulating you.

I hope people are still looking into the fan ownership option, I also think people should start getting the government involved in order to ensure that clubs are owned by people, or maybe something like ensuring that clubs can't have debt/asset ratios over 10%? The more clubs fans who really do this and stop being blinded by idiotic partisan bias.
    This is the one issue where fans actually should have the same priorities, and another club getting bought by foreign owners who want to make money is something I won't celebrate whatsoever.

If I was you Mr. Alan, I'd welcome DIC in comparison to G&H, but I'd pray to god that something else happens.
    There's an element of United fans who are hoping that United go under. Why? Because if they do, it might give the fans finally a chance to get back control of the club. Everything not about instant success.

Also if you think this is about me not liking Liverpool, have a look at the United thread, cause I'm having the same arguments with foolish guillible United fans too.

• Advertisement

The more clubs fans who really do this and stop being blinded by idiotic partisan bias.

i think it is you who is blinded by idiotic partisan beliefs, since you wont shut the hell up about it. I used to welcome your contribution but you've really gone downhill in the last few weeks PHB.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i think it is you who is blinded by idiotic partisan beliefs, since you wont shut the hell up about it. I used to welcome your contribution but you've really gone downhill in the last few weeks PHB.

Don't worry, I won't be around as much in the coming weeks due to exams so you can get back to believing in the dreamland scenario of DIC saving the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

now now folks

Don't worry, I won't be around as much in the coming weeks due to exams so you can get back to believing in the dreamland scenario of DIC saving the day.

i love how you are thinking of our feelings, thanks for protecting us poor naive liverpool fans from the big bad world. you are a man among men...

PHB: this is an update from ShareLiverpool that i recieved today....
    Liverpool FC Legend John Barnes announces ShareLiverpoolFC support
    One of Liverpool FC's greatest-ever players, John Barnes, has given his backing to ShareLiverpoolFC in their quest for fan ownership of the club.

Part of the last title-winning LFC team in 1989/90, John says:
    "I've been saddened by what's been happening in the boardroom lately, and I think it's time for things to change. Liverpool Football Club is part of the community, and it's time our magnificent supporters had a say in how the club is run."

"That's why I'm delighted to back ShareLiverpoolFC. If democratic ownership works for clubs like Barcelona and Bayern Munich, why can't it work here?"

Affectionately known as "Digger", John joins his old team-mates John Aldridge and Phil Thompson in declaring his support for the ShareLiverpoolFC concept. They are amongst nearly 40,000 people who have registered an interest through the ShareLiverpoolFC website http://www.shareliverpoolfc.com

With the ownership troubles at LFC reigniting recently, ShareLiverpoolFC has been gaining momentum and high levels of media interest. On Saturday, a feature appeared in the main local paper, the Liverpool Echo, with a tear off coupon allowing many local fans who may not use the internet the chance to get to know all about ShareLiverpoolFC and to register their interest. You can see the online version of the article at: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -20856025/

As the season draws to a close, sadly without a trophy this year, the work to get fans on the road to ownership of our great club will continue. We're very optimistic about the prospects.

We are developing closer relations to the Spirit of Shankly movement too. ( http://www.sonsofshankly.com/ ). One of the SOS leading lights, Peter Furmedge, is on the Board of ShareLiverpoolFC, and we expect former SOS Chairman, Nicky Alt, (who recently stepped down from that role) to join the SLFC Steering Group this week. We want to make sure both organisations work in tandem; we share a common goal: Our Club owned by, and responsible to, the Liverpool fans.

The website is currently being entirely rebuilt, so we can offer a much more interactive facility for you, and deal much easier with the substantial database we now possess. For those of you who might be interested in a form of 'group membership' (where fans can join together to purchase a single share in LFC) we hope, alongside SOS, to develop proposals for 'share clubs' which will be formerly registered, along lines similar to lottery syndicates.

There's much to do. We'll be in touch soon.

With thanks again for your patience and support,

Rogan Taylor,
    On behalf of ShareLiverpoolFC

PHB, i get you and wat you're saying i really do.

BUT if DIC/Dubai are taking over, people are hopeful that they will be somewhat different to G&H and the Glaziers.

For starters, in how they deal with the fans, they've already given great hope for this with their actions with SOS and also with their promise of a fans representative on the board (which is a major deal).

I know where you're coming from, but our club is being embarrased daily by the actions of the yanks-and i have no doubt that DIC would be far more responsible owners (Gillette himself admitted as much).

In a perfect world the fans would own us, but i just cant see it happening.

A responsible company which listens and acts on fans concerns would be about as good as anyone can get in this current climate imo.

• Advertisement

You lot need to tone it down with some of the crap you are giving PHB..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

now now folks

I dont think PHB is trolling. He has made some very good points, we all long for the Barcelona model but it is unrealistic to start now with the amounts of money involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

PHB: this is an update from ShareLiverpool that i recieved today....
    Liverpool FC Legend John Barnes announces ShareLiverpoolFC support
    One of Liverpool FC's greatest-ever players, John Barnes, has given his backing to ShareLiverpoolFC in their quest for fan ownership of the club.

Part of the last title-winning LFC team in 1989/90, John says:
    "I've been saddened by what's been happening in the boardroom lately, and I think it's time for things to change. Liverpool Football Club is part of the community, and it's time our magnificent supporters had a say in how the club is run."

"That's why I'm delighted to back ShareLiverpoolFC. If democratic ownership works for clubs like Barcelona and Bayern Munich, why can't it work here?"

Affectionately known as "Digger", John joins his old team-mates John Aldridge and Phil Thompson in declaring his support for the ShareLiverpoolFC concept. They are amongst nearly 40,000 people who have registered an interest through the ShareLiverpoolFC website http://www.shareliverpoolfc.com

With the ownership troubles at LFC reigniting recently, ShareLiverpoolFC has been gaining momentum and high levels of media interest. On Saturday, a feature appeared in the main local paper, the Liverpool Echo, with a tear off coupon allowing many local fans who may not use the internet the chance to get to know all about ShareLiverpoolFC and to register their interest. You can see the online version of the article at: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -20856025/

As the season draws to a close, sadly without a trophy this year, the work to get fans on the road to ownership of our great club will continue. We're very optimistic about the prospects.

We are developing closer relations to the Spirit of Shankly movement too. ( http://www.sonsofshankly.com/ ). One of the SOS leading lights, Peter Furmedge, is on the Board of ShareLiverpoolFC, and we expect former SOS Chairman, Nicky Alt, (who recently stepped down from that role) to join the SLFC Steering Group this week. We want to make sure both organisations work in tandem; we share a common goal: Our Club owned by, and responsible to, the Liverpool fans.

The website is currently being entirely rebuilt, so we can offer a much more interactive facility for you, and deal much easier with the substantial database we now possess. For those of you who might be interested in a form of 'group membership' (where fans can join together to purchase a single share in LFC) we hope, alongside SOS, to develop proposals for 'share clubs' which will be formerly registered, along lines similar to lottery syndicates.

There's much to do. We'll be in touch soon.

With thanks again for your patience and support,

Rogan Taylor,
    On behalf of ShareLiverpoolFC

PHB, i get you and wat you're saying i really do.

BUT if DIC/Dubai are taking over, people are hopeful that they will be somewhat different to G&H and the Glaziers.

For starters, in how they deal with the fans, they've already given great hope for this with their actions with SOS and also with their promise of a fans representative on the board (which is a major deal).

I know where you're coming from, but our club is being embarrased daily by the actions of the yanks-and i have no doubt that DIC would be far more responsible owners (Gillette himself admitted as much).

In a perfect world the fans would own us, but i just cant see it happening.

A responsible company which listens and acts on fans concerns would be about as good as anyone can get in this current climate imo.

DIC are feeding you the same ****e that G&H fed you and the glaziers to Utd, the differnce here is that you are willing to believe it time and time again. Nobody is asking you to revolt against them but be a little sceptical and take everything you are being fed with grain of salt. I know for a fact that Utd wioll fall flat on their face because the debt is too much to manage and is getting worse.

Whats worse than that is that you will laugh when it happens without ever thinking of the possible consequences for your own club.

imagine if he was going on about a signing in the same tone - "every signing from country X is rubbish why would this guy be different". there is no rationale for that and no rationale for saying every owner is going to screw you over.

i also love the fact that the question about other teams who havent been screwed by foreign owners was ignored. he has a blinkered view and clearly has a mandate to ruffle some feathers in here.

waste of time reading his posts for the last few weeks, so i wont be doing it anymore.

The difference between G&H, the Glaziers and DIC is that DIC are one of the richest investor groups in the world. There is no doubting that the long term goal for the club is a profit but once they take the debt of the club and finance the stadium out of their own funds, they are a good thing.

I agree.
    Killme00 wrote: »
    DIC are feeding you the same ****e that G&H fed you and the glaziers to Utd, the differnce here is that you are willing to believe it time and time again. Nobody is asking you to revolt against them but be a little sceptical and take everything you are being fed with grain of salt. I know for a fact that Utd wioll fall flat on their face because the debt is too much to manage and is getting worse.

Whats worse than that is that you will laugh when it happens without ever thinking of the possible consequences for your own club.

first off, i wouldnt laugh :)

second; they arent really feeding us the same crap at all.

With G&H and the Glaziers there was no ongoing discussions with fan groups, no promises of a seat on the board, and neither the Glaziers or G&H are anywhere near as wealthy as DIC, therefore there is less chance of the club falling to pieces financially under their tenure.

i agree Liverpool fans need to be somewhat sceptical, but there is also reason be at least a little hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Glazers, not Glaziers, ugh!

I accept that Mr. Alan. I'm not denying that DIC are better than G&H, who the hell would.

People need to realise that DIC will **** you over, it's just they'll do it better than G&H.

For the very last time im going to ask why is that definitely the case?
    Why on earth are you 110% sure that DIC are going to be poor owners and
    screw over the fans of a club which they actually support themselves?
    Why is it so inconcievable that they would do their very best for the club and
    the fans because they are fans themselves and know that with proper
    investment the club would be far more successful and therefore their asset
    would be worth a lot more?
    Instead you consistently tell us that DIC will screw the fans, strangle the club
    and drain it dry like the Glazers.
    Hate to break it to you PHB but you are living in as big a dreamworld as
    the people you keep looking down on.
    No one knows what DICs intentions are, some of us are hopeful they will be
    in line with what is best for the club.
    You however are telling us this is not the case, id like to know what you are
    basing this on?
    The history of foreign owners in the premiership is actually a good story not
    the complete disaster you are making it out to be.
    So why will it be a disaster at Liverpool when it wasnt at Chelsea, Portsmouth, Villa, West Ham, Sunderland etc?

People who actualy think that DIC won't act just as the Glazers have done are actually so guillible that I can't see a point in even arguing with them.

Well since all your arguments so far are as baseless as the hopes of the
    people disagreeing with you then why would we be convinced?
    Like they are believing in blind hope, when everything else shows that the owners will try and make money no matter what..

Nothing wrong with DIC making a return on their investment
    Isnt that what a business is all about?
    What's amazing is that they have this belief even after the current owners lied to them consistantly, ****ed them over to no ends, yet they still think, it's ok, the new owners will be better. Everything we know about DIC suggests that they won't

What pray tell do you know that everyone else doesnt about DIC that
    suggests they wont be better than G&H?
    I really couldnt be bothered going through the rest of your post pointing out
    the BS. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Did anyone see the photo doing the rounds of Peter Crouch's mother and father at the time they conceived the big man?.....*

........ah sure I'll post it up

*BTW, I still think he's a valuable member of the squad

it just saddens me to see another football club get ****ed over by foreign owners while the supporters swallow all the crap they are given.

While I get your concerns about DIC and putting blind faith in them I do have something of a gripe with your repeated suggestions that foreign ownership of clubs is fundamentally bad for them compared to local/domestic ownership. One needs to look no further than the clubs like Aston Villa or Chelsea to see examples where the opposite appears to be true.

Please stop grouping all foreign owners together as bad - it's simply not the case.

The owners of clubs (unless they're fan owned like Barca) will always be perceived to f**k over the fans in one way or another if they're trying to run the club as a successful business - whether they grew up in the shadow of that club or are from the other side of the planet doesn't really come into it. The days of local supporters like David Moores buying the clubs they love and trying to then compete are largely over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Have DIC taken over yet? How can people put such faith in assumptions if nothing's actually happened yet?

Have DIC taken over yet? How can people put such faith in assumptions if nothing's actually happened yet?

We are not putting faith in assumptions.
    We are hopefuly that it will happen and that they will stay true to their word
    and run the club well and fairly.
    PHB and others are saying this definitely wont be the case.
    I want to know where this FACT is coming from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB, in a lesser of two evils fight ill back the one with more money :p

Maik Taylor anyone ? Would certainly be a better backup keeper than Itandje.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3533407,00.html

Yea i'd take him as back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Has there been anything more on the future of Scot Carson? His future with Villa looked in doubt there a while back....was there ever anything more about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I know that you should always argue the post and not the poster but there is a limit.

I would define trolling as deliberatley posting comments that you know the vast majority of people on a given board / thread will strongly disagree with, in order to provoke a reaction. Or to continually advance those controversial opinions despite an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

In my opinion the constant groundless speculation, provocative posts and blinkered / selective replies about the possible actions of DIC consitute trolling.

I strongly believe that Ronaldo is overrated. I firmly think he is a self obsessed, egotistical litlle grotbag who has been overhyped by a complicit media to sell shirts. I'm not going to go into the Utd thread and post that opinion again and again. And if I did the mods would be right to ban me.

So why is it acceptable for him to continue to post inflamatory content in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Team for tonights reserves playoff final. Lucas starts against Villa tonight to see which is the best reserve team in the country. Liverpool are sticking to their youths while it seems that there are quite a few more experienced players on the Villa side including Marlon Harewood. Will be watching this one on LFC TV, coverage starts at 7:30 for anybody else thinking of watching. Fancy Nemeth to stick one tonight too.

Liverpool team

Peter Gulacsi
    Stephen Darby
    Emiliano Insua
    Mikel San Jose
    Ronald Huth
    Damien Plessis
    Nabil El Zhar
    Lucas
    Jordy Brouwer
    Krisztian Nemeth
    Ryan Flynn

Subs

Daniel Pacheco
    Dean Bouzanis
    Martin Kelly
    Craig Lindfield
    Andras Simon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Team for tonights reserves playoff final. Lucas starts against Villa tonight to see which is the best reserve team in the country. Liverpool are sticking to their youths while it seems that there are quite a few more experienced players on the Villa side including Marlon Harewood. Will be watching this one on LFC TV, coverage starts at 7:30 for anybody else thinking of watching. Fancy Nemeth to stick one tonight too.

Liverpool team

Peter Gulacsi
    Stephen Darby
    Emiliano Insua
    Mikel San Jose
    Ronald Huth
    Damien Plessis
    Nabil El Zhar
    Lucas
    Jordy Brouwer
    Krisztian Nemeth
    Ryan Flynn

Subs

Daniel Pacheco
    Dean Bouzanis
    Martin Kelly
    Craig Lindfield
    Andras Simon

Cool, thanks for that. I'd love to see Lucas boss this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If anyone finds a stream for the reserves final... would appreciate a link, ta.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

anywhere i can keep up with the scores or maybe one of you guys could keep us up to date i'm in work sadly :(

I will post on here and keep ya on track den. Would imagine it will be on the website mind.

Cannot see minute by minute anywhere for it.

One nil to pool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nemeth scored it

Could have been two there, Brouwer and el zhar combining well after a run by Nabil.

Flynn looks dangerous on the left.

• Advertisement

Nemeth scored it
    Just as I predicted. ;)

Jesus, Harewood and Maloney work well from a liverpool throw, take posession and hurt hits the post with the keeper beaten.

And San Jose saves one off the line after keeper flapped and missed one. The first teamers are really working together well for Villa, well maybe not first teamers but more experienced lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Why is this game at Anfield? its a one off i.e there is no second leg at VP so why do Liverpool get a home final?

seems weird to me

Why is this game at Anfield? its a one off i.e there is no second leg at VP so why do Liverpool get a home final?

seems weird to me
    No idea, probably toss of a coin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement