Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Has fairly quietened off this second half. Pool really taking a lot of pressure now but look dangerous on the break.

That young lad has just come on, alfonso or some such, is an U21 england international is looking good. Other lad salifou has just hit the crossbar with a screamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great goal! Lucas!

He has been reasonably quiet, thought that he should be doing better at this level but they have some good players on show TBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

He has been reasonably quiet, thought that he should be doing better at this level but they have some good players on show TBF.

I only saw the first half, but I thought Lucas did well. His passing seemed better than in some of his first team appearances. This probably had a lot to do with the fact that he was playing a reserves side, but Villa fielded 4 experienced players (Harewood, Maloney, Taylor, Routledge). He also seemed a little more confident. I think if he can build his confidence a little more in the first team he can live up to his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Great season for the reserve team winning 3 trophies. The back 4 tonight were brilliant tonight, I could see both of the full backs getting a couple of games in the first team next season.

Great result alright, report here.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159854080507-2136.htm
    LFC.tv wrote:

Liverpool Reserves have been crowned National Champions after powering to a resounding victory over Aston Villa in an entertaining play-off final at Anfield.
    Gary Ablett's men produced the type of performance typical of their all-conquering campaign, combining attractive, flowing football with some gutsy, determined defending to clinch a 3-0 win courtesy of goals from Krisztian Nemeth, Jordy Brouwer and Lucas Leiva.

It caps a remarkable season for the Reds' second string, who can now add the national title to both the Dallas Cup and the Northern Division championship, to complete what is a superb cup treble.

On a rare sun-drenched evening at Anfield, it was Villa who settled the quicker of the two sides, but for all their good approach play Liverpool manufactured the game's first real moment of note when Krisztian Nemeth's cute back heel was deflected away by the last-ditch boot of Isaiah Osbourne, to deny Lucas a clear run at goal.

The Brazilian was in the side in place of the injured Jay Spearing and provided some South American rhythm at the centre of the park against Kevin McDonald's experienced Villa outfit that included first-teamers such as Stuart Taylor, Wayne Routledge, Shaun Maloney and Marlon Harewood.

In truth, the visitors enjoyed the majority of the possession throughout an entertaining first-half and went close through Chris Herd's 20-yard snap shot before the hosts took the lead courtesy of a familiar marksmen.

The lively Nabil El Zhar ran at the heart of the Villa defence and fed a neat ball through to Jordy Brouwer who in turn laid an instant flick to Nemeth on the right, with the Hungarian showing great composure to flash a shot from just inside the penalty area into the far corner to give Liverpool the perfect start.

It was a magnificent team goal and all the more fitting that the yellow-booted forward was the man on target, having been irrepressible in front of goal throughout a superb season with the reserves.

It gave the Reds the lift they needed and El Zhar drilled a long range strike over the cross bar before Jordy Brouwer wasted a great chance to double the home side's advantage on 24 minutes.

Ryan Flynn showed great determination to outpace his marker and fire in a dangerous cross from the left and although no one was on hand to finish off his superb wing play, El Zhar took up the baton on the far right and surged beyond Nathan Baker before cutting the ball back to Brouwer who side-footed a weak effort straight at Taylor from eight yards out.

However, it was as good as it got for the Reds in the first period and Villa began to dominate the proceedings as they pushed forward in search of the equaliser.

The first opportunity for the visitors to level fell to Marlon Harwood, who had already scored at Anfield during a 2-2 draw against Rafael Benitez's senior side earlier in the season, and he will feel he should have repeated that feat on 26 minutes, after lashing a fierce 25-yard strike just over Peter Gulacsi's crossbar.

The pace of Routledge was a cause for concern for Gary Ablett's men throughout the match and just seconds later Villa had carved Liverpool open down the right once again, but this time Herd somehow contrived to hit the post from 10 yards out after Harwood and Moloney combined to put him clear.

The Reds continued to look a threat on the counter-attack but it was the away side who again went closest to scoring prior to the interval when Mikel San Jose reacted brilliantly to clear Maloney's stabbed effort off the line after Gulacsi had dropped Routledge's right-wing cross.

It was a similar story after the break too, but Villa's fortune in front of goal continued to desert them as proved on 57 minutes when Moustapha Salifou saw his long range volley crash back off the crossbar with Gulacsi well beaten.

El Zhar and Nemeth offered some brief respite for the Reds rearguard with the former seeing his run and shot well blocked before the latter stung the fingertips of Taylor with a rasping 25-yard drive.

With both sides creating a series of good openings, something had to give, and after Maloney wasted a glorious chance to pull the Villains level, Liverpool struck the killer blow on 66 minutes.

Emiliano Insua won the ball deep in Villa territory allowing Nemeth to seize on the loose ball and play in Brouwer, who raced into the penalty area before hammering the ball, low into the bottom left-hand corner to send the Kop into raptures.

It was a strike that seemed to deflate the away side and on 76 minutes the Reds wrapped up victory when substitute Daniel Pacheco's delightfully disguised pass sent Lucas clear and the Brazilian made no mistake to ensure the 7,580 supporters packed into Anfield went home happy.

Liverpool Reserves: Gulacsi, Darby, Insua, San Jose, Huth, Plessis, El Zhar (Simon 86), Lucas, Brouwer (Pacheco 73), Nemeth (Lindfield 80), Flynn. Unused subs: Bouzanis, Kelly, Simon.

Aston Villa Reserves: Taylor, Lund (Bannan 74), Baker (Delfouneso 46), Osbourne, Clark, Lowry, Salifou, Routledge, Harewood, Herd, Maloney (Albrighton 77). Unused subs: Bevan, Collins.

Liverpoolfc.tv man of the match: Krisztian Nemeth. A classy forward who once again showed his promise with a superb goal and a clever assist.

Attendance: 7,580

Decent attendance too for a reserve game, even if it was the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure how an attendance of 7,580 copuld be crammed in Anfield :D

Great result even if it flatters the performance a bit by the sound of it. Hope Rafa was in there.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Not sure how an attendance of 7,580 copuld be crammed in Anfield :D

Great result even if it flatters the performance a bit by the sound of it. Hope Rafa was in there.

Mike.

He was. Was sitting beside Rick Parry.

Who looked grimmer? ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Why is this game at Anfield? its a one off i.e there is no second leg at VP so why do Liverpool get a home final?

seems weird to me

It alternates every second year being played at the home of the winners of the north and south section, ie last year it was played at the home of the south section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Great win, hopefully next year Nemeth will be given a chance as 3 or 4th choice striker instead of Voronin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

IrishMike wrote: »
    Great win, hopefully next year Nemeth will be given a chance as 3 or 4th choice striker instead of Voronin.

absolutley. also Pacheco and Insua i would like to see featured more, especially with the new 7 subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

IrishMike wrote: »
    I agree but I wonder would it be too much of a step up for him in one go? Also, if Crouch is leaving we are going to be quite short up front considering of our current forwards, only Torres seems capable of regularly finding the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

absolutley. also Pacheco and Insua i would like to see featured more, especially with the new 7 subs

is Pacheco the Midfielder that played against arsenal in the league? was very impressed with him if its him!

malice_ wrote: »
    I agree but I wonder would it be too much of a step up for him in one go? Also, if Crouch is leaving we are going to be quite short up front considering of our current forwards, only Torres seems capable of regularly finding the net.

If crouch goes in the summer voronin should be out the door behind him.
    That leaves Torres as your only real target striker.
    Babel can play up there but he cant hold the ball up.
    So if crouch and voronin go then someone should be bought to be #2
    Babel can be used as an option and Nemeth should be given a run maybe in
    the 2 cup competitions or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Miller a target to manage a J-League team
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3537284,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

prendy wrote: »
    is Pacheco the Midfielder that played against arsenal in the league? was very impressed with him if its him!

Plessis

malice_ wrote: »

No that was Plessis i think.
    His distribution is still pretty poor to be playing in the first team from what i have seen of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

No that was Damien Plessis, Pacheco is a midfielder/attacker similar to messi/bojan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

emc2 wrote: »
    No that was Damien Plessis, Pacheco is a midfielder/attacker similar to messi/bojan.

WOW...great way to build him up there!! Cant wait to see this guy play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

emc2 wrote: »

What a statement.. I don't know much about him but my expectations have just rocketed!!!

The way Rafa has the formation focused on a single striker its hardly a surprise he dominates the scoring. Babel has done well with the time he has had from a wide position. If 4-2-3-1 is the way forwards then Torres and Gerrard are almost certain to be the top scorers next season.

Mike.

The way Rafa has the formation focused on a single striker its hardly a surprise he dominates the scoring. Babel has done well with the time he has had from a wide position. If 4-2-3-1 is the way forwards then Torres and Gerrard are almost certain to be the top scorers next season.

Mike.

ya but Mike we should be getting a better reurn in the league from the wingers as it gives them licence to attack with the 2 holding players.
    this season we havnt had much goals from either wing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bob Paisley cup

We have the final amount in and we raised €2280.00 for the fund,it was a great day and thanks for your support.We are going to make this an annual event so hope to see some more of you next year.

• Advertisement

Mike.

In fairness, the goals have been spread around.

21?
    11?

tusky, have you the same breakdown for just the league?

Like I say Tusky Babel has done pretty well as has Kuyt for someone who less than than "mobile" at times. If a new winger is brought in I wouldn't expect much better.

I want more goals from elsewhere - Alonso, Agger (hopefully!), the FBs.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

gucci wrote: »
    WOW...great way to build him up there!! Cant wait to see this guy play!
    ibh wrote: »
    What a statement.. I don't know much about him but my expectations have just rocketed!!!

I'd better keep quiet about Bruna then, or ye'll both need a change of pants!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Tusky wrote: »
    In fairness, the goals have been spread around.

21?
    11?
    tusky, have you the same breakdown for just the league?

The 6 being Kuyt+ Pennant and the 8 being Babel +Benayoun. Can't believe Kuyt has scored in just 2 league games all season.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »

The 6 being Kuyt+ Pennant and the 8 being Babel +Benayoun. Can't believe Kuyt has scored in just 2 league games all season.

Yea its pretty poor regardless of the work he does for the team etc etc..
    Would have expected him to get a few more than that. This year he seemed to have the knack of grabbing the odd Champs Lge goal but just didn't happen in the PL.

Kuyt will get 15 league goals next season. wait and see ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Kuyt will get 15 league goals next season. wait and see ;)

Be careful MrAlan. I went on the teamtalk pool forum last summer and stated that Kuyt would be our top scorer for this season.. :o

ibh; that was an amateur prediction you made, i on the other hand am never wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So Kewell is on his bicycle after a bitterly disappointing 5 years at the club. I was genuinely excited by the prospect of him joining the club and I imagined at the time that he was going to give us a creative edge up front / out wide that we were sorely lacking then - and still lack to this day if the truth be told. The same goes for the other big failure of the past five years Morientes - a player who destroyed the champions league with Monaco and then just couldn't get going and revisit form of seasons past when he moved to Anfield.

In Kewell's case, was it bad luck or lack of effort? Well, he did get injured a lot. But then again, it is difficult to avoid skepticism as a fan when his best period in a Liverpool jersey came the season before Australia played in the world cup - a fact that he shares with former Leeds teammate Mark Viduka.

When one looks at the respective careers of some of the players who lit up the premiership during Leed's highpoint (Kewell, Viduka, Bowyer, Woodgate, Smith, Bridge, Robinson) since the fiasco of a court case that contributed to the club's eventual disintegration it must be noted that they have all failed to repeat or consistently sustain the form that they enjoyed under O' Leary. What was O' Leary doing that subsequent managers weren't? Or did the players in the squad at that time just mesh perfectly together as part of a collective that allowed each individual space to produce their best football? Bar Robinson, the other six have all struggled mightily with injuries and maintaining consistent fitness since they moved on. Much as I am left wondering what might have been as a Liverpool fan who remembered how good Kewell was playing for Leeds - I'm sure fans of Newcastle, Middlesborough, West Ham, Tottenham also think similarly when they consider the fortunes and ultimate form of these players over the past few years. The odd flashes these players (Kewell included) have shown since moving on from Elland road just serves to make the taste all the more bitter.

Kewell is now a free agent. So where will he go? Assuredly some manager will see footage from a few years ago and, upon receiving assurances from an agent / Kewell himself that he is going to be fit and consistent this time around, will open up the chequebook to provide a contract that is way out of proportion with the body of work Kewell has put together during his time with us.

Ultimately, I think that when you assess the impact of Harry Kewell during his time at Liverpool it allows you a greater appreciation for the effort put in by the likes of Dirk Kuyt. You can be as limited as you like, but if I think you are giving 100% you'll get my vote as a fan.

Good riddance.

ibh; that was an amateur prediction you made, i on the other hand am never wrong ;)

Ok and Printscreen and save.. Done..

Can't wait till next year. I can't lose. If your right and Kuyt scores 15 league goals then we'll have done a lot better than this year so i'll be happy.
    If you're wrong then i'll be happy cause i was right..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53120665&postcount=7044

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

At least I didnt question Torres..

• Advertisement

Pighead u legend :D

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

My secret shame! PIIIIIIIGHHHEEEEAAAAAAAADDDDDD! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Every ounce of Mr_Alans credibilty has just been blown out the window.

well he never had much anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

In Kewell's case, was it bad luck or lack of effort? Well, he did get injured a lot. But then again, it is difficult to avoid skepticism as a fan when his best period in a Liverpool jersey came the season before Australia played in the world cup - a fact that he shares with former Leeds teammate Mark Viduka.

When one looks at the respective careers of some of the players who lit up the premiership during Leed's highpoint (Kewell, Viduka, Bowyer, Woodgate, Smith, Bridge, Robinson) since the fiasco of a court case that contributed to the club's eventual disintegration it must be noted that they have all failed to repeat or consistently sustain the form that they enjoyed under O' Leary. What was O' Leary doing that subsequent managers weren't? Or did the players in the squad at that time just mesh perfectly together as part of a collective that allowed each individual space to produce their best football? Bar Robinson, the other six have all struggled mightily with injuries and maintaining consistent fitness since they moved on. Much as I am left wondering what might have been as a Liverpool fan who remembered how good Kewell was playing for Leeds - I'm sure fans of Newcastle, Middlesborough, West Ham, Tottenham also think similarly when they consider the fortunes and ultimate form of these players over the past few years. The odd flashes these players (Kewell included) have shown since moving on from Elland road just serves to make the taste all the more bitter.

well to be honest, i have no sympathy for kewell as a leeds fan. he was a judas who deserved all he got.
    When he played for us, he was amazing at times, but he has always been a lazy player. Everyone remembers the goal he scored against arsenal that kept us up, scored after a few minutes from around 35 yards. But what people dont remember, and this happened a lot, was that he would then stand on the halfway line, hands on hips waiting for the ball. he was quite a lazy, but gifted player.

With liverpool it looks like he just didnt settle properly and then he started on his "injuries". notice how he would start to suddenly get fit when a big game was coming up? And then of course the fact he was on serious wages meant he didnt care how well he did.

Regarding the others, it can be harsh on viduka, he was good with boro just got injured a lot.
    Woodgate has always been excellent, again injuries harmed him.
    Bowyer played his best football during the court case, after that he faded.
    Robinson was always a great shot stopper (still is) but very dodgy on crosses.
    Smith is a striker, but doesnt score that many. better at holding it up but i think the years of midfield and right wing have ruined him
    Bridges was gifted but injuries ruined him too.

i wont go on, cos its a pool thread, but i have no sympathy for kewell

in my own defence;

i didnt say Torres wouldnt make it :) just that i had doubts about him.
    most people did. check out the Torres thread from the time and it makes interesting reading indeed!

and i really do rate Tevez, although we now know he aint as good as Torres, but he would've been a safer bet this time last year.

I'm glad rafa knows better than i do though ;)

check out the Torres thread from the time and it makes interesting reading indeed!

I'd like to see my comments. Do you have a link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

event wrote: »
    well to be honest, i have no sympathy for kewell as a leeds fan. he was a judas who deserved all he got.
    When he played for us, he was amazing at times, but he has always been a lazy player. Everyone remembers the goal he scored against arsenal that kept us up, scored after a few minutes from around 35 yards. But what people dont remember, and this happened a lot, was that he would then stand on the halfway line, hands on hips waiting for the ball. he was quite a lazy, but gifted player.

With liverpool it looks like he just didnt settle properly and then he started on his "injuries". notice how he would start to suddenly get fit when a big game was coming up? And then of course the fact he was on serious wages meant he didnt care how well he did.

Regarding the others, it can be harsh on viduka, he was good with boro just got injured a lot.
    Woodgate has always been excellent, again injuries harmed him.
    Bowyer played his best football during the court case, after that he faded.
    Robinson was always a great shot stopper (still is) but very dodgy on crosses.
    Smith is a striker, but doesnt score that many. better at holding it up but i think the years of midfield and right wing have ruined him
    Bridges was gifted but injuries ruined him too.

i wont go on, cos its a pool thread, but i have no sympathy for kewell

Good post, and I agree that Woodgate was very unlucky with injuries and has been very good thus far at Spurs.

Completely agree about Kewell staying fit before the big occasions. The best example of this is the 2005 / 2006 season when he knew a world cup was on its way. That was also Viduka's best season since he left Leeds in terms of goals and appearances (Boro also had a Uefa cup run to keep him interested). Coincidence? I feel shortchanged.

Tusky wrote: »
    I'd like to see my comments. Do you have a link ?
    LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good post, and I agree that Woodgate was very unlucky with injuries and has been very good thus far at Spurs.

Completely agree about Kewell staying fit before the big occasions. The best example of this is the 2005 / 2006 season when he knew a world cup was on its way. That was also Viduka's best season since he left Leeds in terms of goals and appearances (Boro also had a Uefa cup run to keep him interested). Coincidence? I feel shortchanged.

aye, viduka would also play when there was a contract renewal coming up.

before he joined newcastle, the 6 months before, he played very well. He also was always injured around christmas time, i though that strange

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    aye, viduka would also play when there was a contract renewal coming up.

before he joined newcastle, the 6 months before, he played very well. He also was always injured around christmas time, i though that strange

Much nicer weather in Australia at that time of year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement