Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Heres what I said.
    Tusky wrote: »
    I think he will be good this season and hopefully, v.v.good next season. I would be happy with around 15 goals and a fair few assists. The main thing for me is that we now have a striker that teams will fear. Someone who can run at players, create something out of nothing...someone with skill and pace. You can hardly say that about Crouch or Kuyt.

This is classic.
    gosplan wrote: »
    Torres - probably the most over-hyped player in the world.

Listen up all, he's never been a 30 goal a season man. Moving to a new country, city, team and league will hardly make it all just click straight away.

He'll probably take ages to score his first and then do ok for the second half of this season. Then we'll all have the same conversation next year.

As regards whoever listed those strikers and said they were ok....

Please. they've all still playing and after liverpool moved onto lesser clubs.

i.e failure!!!!!

And PHB was way off with the comparisons with Rooney. Hes an all out striker were as Rooney is a link player.
    PHB wrote: »
    No, Torres is kinda like Rooney as a player. I don't judge Rooney on how many goals he scores, nor will I judge Torres on that account.

Just because Liverpool need a goalscorer in your opinion doesn't mean you should judge Torres on how many goals he scores. I doubt Rafa has bought him to be a Van Nist style character, he has bought him to be a Rooney style character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think you'll find that PHB will have some way to twist what he said into looking like he was right all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Kuyt will get 15 league goals next season. wait and see ;)

Yes, but for what team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

deffo pool as long is rafa is still here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd be shocked and disappointed if Kuyt was sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Darren Bent is worth 16m, then Crouch is worth at least 15m imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

being worth and getting it are two evry different things

i cant see any club in england spending £15m on crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Sensational bit of business if it were true.
    Anyone think a 10m offer for bent would be money very well spent?
    Big strong good in the air and able to hold the ball up.
    Everything liverpool are looking for to be honest.
    Might well get him cheap as he is not playing for spurs and it looks like they
    will have a bit of a clean out in the summer.

Strikers then would be Torres, Bent, Nemeth and Babel.
    Not bad at all if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id rather keep Crouch and Kuyt than buy Bent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

15 million for Crouch. Are they taking the piss??
    He is worth about 7 or 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Let down all round by Kewell as well, was really excited when I heard he was coming.

Rafa said:

"We have tried to come to an agreement with the player and his agent, but that has not been possible."

translated

"Kewell is a greedy f*ck who wouldn't take a paycut"

Good riddance at this stage, he earned his money very easily at Anfield

jank wrote: »
    15 million for Crouch. Are they taking the piss??
    He is worth about 7 or 8
    I doubt Rafa realistically expects to get 15, I think he's just letting them know that Crouch has a contract and he intends to use him, so he's not going anywhere on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Based on Rafa saying that he has now agreed with MON to speak after the last game, does it look like Rick Parry has made another bungled attempt in purchasing a player.

I don't remember any direct quotes coming from Rafa when the story broke, did he originate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

joker77 wrote: »
    Let down all round by Kewell as well, was really excited when I heard he was coming.

Rafa said:

"We have tried to come to an agreement with the player and his agent, but that has not been possible."

translated

Sounds like he was offered some kind of deal i.e a very basic wage but a larger appearance bonus than normal. Wes Brown was on one of those with Utd because of his constent injuries. Pity we cant make Saha sign one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Melion wrote: »
    Id rather keep Crouch and Kuyt than buy Bent

I'd rather keep Voronnin!:p

zAbbo wrote: »
    Based on Rafa saying that he has now agreed with MON to speak after the last game, does it look like Rick Parry has made another bungled attempt in purchasing a player.
    Rafa to Rick: Buy me David Villa
    Rick: ermm what did he say again - something about buying someone from Villa..
    I don't remember any direct quotes coming from Rafa when the story broke, did he originate it?
    Story was covered by TB in the Echo with MON then wading in. Don't recall seeing anything from Rafa on it previously.

In other news Danny Agger is back training which is great to see. Hopefully he'll get his fitness up and get a full pre-season under his belt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i read somewhere that it cost liverpool £150,000 for every match kewell played in. thats obviously adding his wages and dividing it by the amount he played. f**king ridiculous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Here is one of the most unsafe things have seen in a while.The 'irregulars' coach broke down going to the semi at Chelsea CL so they hitched a lift from a polish truck driver....!!

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Rafa said:

translated

Find it disappointing that Rafa would try and do a deal with Kewell.

Kewell has served us no purpose over the years, was never a fan of him, number 1 reason being you never see him challenge for a ball. Everytime I saw his name on the team sheet or even on the bench I'd be ragin' :mad:.
    Feel the same way 'bout Voronin these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Find it disappointing that Rafa would try and do a deal with Kewell.

Kewell has served us no purpose over the years, was never a fan of him, number 1 reason being you never see him challenge for a ball. Everytime I saw his name on the team sheet or even on the bench I'd be ragin' :mad:.
    Feel the same way 'bout Voronin these days.

maybe he said, you owe us fat lad, how about you pay us back £50k a week and you can warm the bench!

Cyrus wrote: »
    maybe he said, you owe us fat lad, how about you pay us back £50k a week and you can warm the bench!
    ha ha - yea sounds pretty reasonable to me

Cyrus wrote: »

He would still be on £7k a week which is too much for the gimp.
    Good riddance to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

People being ridiculously hard on Kewell.

Should he go ? Definitely
    Has his time here been a disappointment ? For sure
    Is it his fault that he has been injured constantly ? No

Its not as if he is making the injuries up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

zing wrote: »
    Rafa to Rick: Buy me David Villa
    Rick: ermm what did he say again - something about buying someone from Villa..

Funny, very funny because it's probably true. Sad also for the same reason.
    In other news Danny Agger is back training which is great to see. Hopefully he'll get his fitness up and get a full pre-season under his belt.

+1. Will Rafa go for Heinze again? Always rated Heinze, and it was our defence for once which scuppered our challenge this year. (lack of cover)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Dub13 wrote: »
    Here is one of the most unsafe things have seen in a while.The 'irregulars' coach broke down going to the semi at Chelsea CL so they hitched a lift from a polish truck driver....!!

Link

Looks a laugh :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks a laugh :D

They are a crazy bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Little Sammy will be back in the fold to replace Alex Miller. Rafa also seemed to think there would be movement on the ownership front sooner than later.

Mike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kewell could have been offered a paid as you play contract. To me that would have been an ideal situation as he would have to work his socks off to get a game and get paid if it was money he was after.

That thread linked about Torres, I bet a few people are cringing looking at it now, I forgot all about it until I clicked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Kewell could have been offered a paid as you play contract. To me that would have been an ideal situation as he would have to work his socks off to get a game and get paid if it was money he was after.

That thread linked about Torres, I bet a few people are cringing looking at it now, I forgot all about it until I clicked into it.

On some level though you can't begrudge someone their "Winston Bogarde" like moment of clarity. He obv realises he can still negotiate a big salary in the general market as a 29 year old who has amassed plenty of highlight footage over the years - and he wants to secure a last payday.

Is this annoying as a fan? Yes. Is it admirable? Not really. Is it in the best interests of his wife and kids? Well, yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

From here:
    Liverpool stalwart Ronnie Whelan believes that Rafa Benitez’s days at Anfield are numbered as The Reds tumble out of the Champions League following a titanic struggle against Chelsea last week.

The Showtime pundit and Liverpool great is not “100 per cent” convinced the Spaniard is the right man to lead Liverpool to success next year. Instead, he would like to see former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho at the helm.

“Rafa’s not won a trophy this season,” says Whelan, whose own days as a midfielder at Anfield in the 1980s glory years were littered with trophies. “He has been quoted many times as saying ‘judge me at the end of the season’, well it’s the end of the season and his squad simply isn’t strong enough.”

Whelan believes Benitez has made bad decisions.
    “When the Americans [co-chairmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett in 2006] came in, they gave Rafa a lot of money to spend on players.

“But he obviously didn’t get the right players — the results say so. Jermain Pennant, Alvaro Arbeloa, Lucas Levia and Ryan Babel — I don’t think they are good enough to get Liverpool where they want to go. So should they give him the chance to spend another £40 million (Dhs 290m) and try and get the right players?”

Whelan points to Benitez’s baffling decision to compile a dossier going back four years of Chelsea striker Didier Drogba’s theatrics on the pitch prior to the Champions League clash as an example of strange choices made by the Spaniard.

When the big man from the Ivory Coast scored his first goal of the night from an acute angle to make the score 1-0 (2-1 aggregate), he gleefully ran the length of the touchline to slide in front of the Liverpool bench in celebration.

“People are saying it may have motivated Drogba to score those two goals, but honestly, I don’t think so,” Whelan says.
    “I don’t think he needed motivation in the semi-final of the Champions League. I really don’t know why Rafa decided to do that before the game. There were plenty of times in the past when he could have done it if he’d wanted to. I don’t think it was a good idea.”

The game saw Chelsea start with an away-goal advantage following the first leg at Anfield when defender John Arne Riise inexplicably tried to head a low-ball clear and found his own net.

With the score tied at 1-1 on aggregate both sides had everything to play for.

Then Drogba’s goal in the first half put a rather flat-looking Liverpool under more pressure with the aggregate score 2-1.
    But the Reds came out fighting after the break with the knowledge that a single goal at Stamford Bridge would put them right back in the fight burned into their minds.

And that goal came 20 minutes into the second half courtesy of nifty footwork from Fernando Torres in the box to level the score 2-2 on aggregate.

With full-time approaching fast, Chelsea defended with all their might aware that another away goal from Liverpool would kill their hopes of reaching a first Champions League final.

Extra-time saw Michael Essien’s joyous celebrations cut short when his bullet-like shot was disallowed for offside but salvation came in the shape of a penalty awarded to the Blues after Sami Hyypia tripped Michael Ballack in the box.

A brave Frank Lampard, grieving the recent death of his mother, stepped forward to slot in a text-book penalty making the score 2-1 to Chelsea (3-2 on aggregate). And less than 10 minutes later, Drogba slotted home another goal to make it 3-1 (4-2).

Refusing to admit defeat, Liverpool kept fighting and Babel, on for Fernando Torres in the second half of extra time, who was apparently suffering a hamstring injury, hit a 30-yard shot which found the top corner.

The game finished 3-2 to Chelsea with the Blues winning 4-3 over the two legs and Liverpool unable to stage a miracle fightback.

Whelan has nothing but praise for the way a grieving Lampard, wearing the black armband of mourning, delivered a sterling performance for his team and took that penalty.

“It shows tremendous bottle to be able to do that,” he says. “When you think about what’s gone on for him and his family. Probably before the game he said to the manager that he wanted to play and do it for his mother, but it takes something extra to step up and take that type of penalty.

“You might have expected him to blast it and hope for the best, but he placed it calmly and that showed great professionalism and presence of mind.”

Chelsea’s win is a result that Whelan, even with all his affinity for Liverpool, believes that Avram Grant’s men richly deserved.

“Chelsea would have been strong enough on the night to take them through to the final anyway, even without that away goal,” he said.

“Liverpool got their away goal too which they felt that they needed and played a lot better in the second half, but Chelsea just seemed to have more conviction.”

With the trophy cabinet sadly bereft of silverware for the 2007-08 season, Whelan says Liverpool’s decision-makers need to think carefully about where they are headed.

“Everything needs to be looked at now,” he says. “We don’t know if the American owners will be there next season or if the Dubai group [Dubai International Capital] will be the new owners.

“Whoever is there will need to decide if they have confidence in Rafa. Personally I don’t.”

And he believes that Liverpool fans, who haven’t been able to celebrate a league title since 1990, won’t care who is in charge providing they spare enough cash to buy new players capable of propelling the club back to their former glory.

“I doubt the supporters will mind who the owner of the club is as long as they are winning trophies. If they give money to the manager and the manager spends it wisely, that’s all the fans care about.”

So if Steven Gerrard et al need a fresh start, whom would Whelan like to see in charge?

“I think Mourinho would be very good,” he says. “Look at the players that he brought to Chelsea. He spent the same amount of money that Rafa did and those players are in the Champions League final now.

“He might be a bit unpopular with some people, but if your team is winning, you don’t care if a few people don’t like your manager,” Whelan said.
    It always saddens me to read this kind of article from an ex-red. I like the way he says Rafa hasn't gotten the right players then doesn't mention those that he got right. Indeed, Babel, Lucas and Arbeloa haven't done a lot wrong in their Liverpool careers so far. Certainly I would have agreed with him if he'd mentioned Voronin :).

The article also doesn't explain why Benitez compililng a dossier on Drogba was strange. Does he think managers just make things up as they go along or do they try to make informed decisions based on past evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rafa said:

translated

WTF are you on about? He earned his money easily? Do you really think Harry Kewell, or any other footballer for that matter, ENJOYS being constantly injured and not being able to play? Whether he was on 15 grand or 150 I'm sure Harry would have just loved to play some football.

As for him not taking the paycut, do you honestly think he would get a look in at Liverpool now even when fit? Of course not. They've moved on and now it's time for him to do the same. He knows that, hence the rejection of the contract. Let him go somewhere else and get a few games under his belt.

Obviously hanging around with Dunphy and Giles has rubbed off on Ronnie, what a load of crap

and Benitez spending same money at Mourinho, hardly ronnie :pac:

malice_ wrote: »
    From here:

It always saddens me to read this kind of article from an ex-red. I like the way he says Rafa hasn't gotten the right players then doesn't mention those that he got right. Indeed, Babel, Lucas and Arbeloa haven't done a lot wrong in their Liverpool careers so far. Certainly I would have agreed with him if he'd mentioned Voronin :).

The article also doesn't explain why Benitez compililng a dossier on Drogba was strange. Does he think managers just make things up as they go along or do they try to make informed decisions based on past evidence?

Agree with him on a few points though.
    Fans dont give a crap about the owners if they give the manager money and
    dont meddle on the field. This is despite some of the very strange
    arguments presented in this thread and in others on the forum.

Also i think some of Rafas signings have been very poor, however for me babel
    is definitely not one of them.

To say he got a lot of money to spend but the squad isnt any stronger is
    just plain wrong and bloody stupid to be honest. He inherited a squad with
    Traore, Biscan, Diao etc for crying out loud. He has done well in some
    signings but others have been strange.

Overall i see improvement every season since Rafa took over.
    He tried to build a squad by wheeling and dealing with not enough money
    to cover what needed to be bought. When he was given proper money to
    spend the acquisions of Skyrtl, Mascherano, Babel and Torres show he
    knows how to buy quality.
    Also the constant boardroom speculation and speculation about his job
    is bound to have effected him and the team in some way.
    Ronnie would do better to shut the hell up and actually try and encourage
    the players and the team.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Also i think some of Rafas signings have been very poor
    He has done well in some signings but others have been strange.[/QUOTE]Okay, I think most of us would agree about poor signings but who has he signed that was strange? Maybe Lucas given that we were already fairly well-stocked in the centre of midfield and short on the flanks.

Most of the signing that Rafa made that didn't work out were shipped out pretty quickly (Morientes, Josemi, Kromkamp, Bellamy, Cissé) and at close to their transfer cost if not a profit. This is in stark contrast to Houllier. For example, I read somewhere earlier today that Le Tallec is still part of the squad!

• Advertisement

Ronnie Whelan does not like Rafa. Never has. The man is just another bitter pundit/hack now unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ronnie Whelan annoys me with his whiney talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

He's full of shíte.

Frankly.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    WTF are you on about? He earned his money easily? Do you really think Harry Kewell, or any other footballer for that matter, ENJOYS being constantly injured and not being able to play? Whether he was on 15 grand or 150 I'm sure Harry would have just loved to play some football.

As for him not taking the paycut, do you honestly think he would get a look in at Liverpool now even when fit? Of course not. They've moved on and now it's time for him to do the same. He knows that, hence the rejection of the contract. Let him go somewhere else and get a few games under his belt.
    Oh boo hoo for poor Harry, is it?

Plenty of players with his level of ability have come back from worse injuries, and I still think he had the potential to be involved, albeit as a squad player. So yea, I think if he was able to get himself back fully fit he would be used.

After picking up all the money over the past few years, would you not feel a responsibility to pay them back? You'd just say "Thanks very much for all the money, now that I'm getting back fit I'd rather make some bucks somewhere else than take a pay cut."

I think Rafa would have just let him go if he didn't think he'd play him again.

Remember Tomassi taking a paycut at Roma or Redondo taking a paycut at Milan. It's not unheard of for players to have a conscience, just very unusual :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Oh god, Ronnie Whelan, what have you said? :(

He must have been pissed drunk and not thinking straight when he gave that interview, surely he wasn't right in his head at the time?

There are so many holes and innacuracies in what he's saying there is little point in picking them all apart, but he finishes with this:

"I think Mourinho would be very good,” he says. “Look at the players that he brought to Chelsea. He spent the same amount of money that Rafa did and those players are in the Champions League final now."

Those players might be in the CL final now, but not with Jose at the helm. When those players had Jose guiding them, Rafa knocked them out of the Champions League, twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ronnie was a great player, but he's also an idiot. I think people forget what our squad was like when Rafa came in - Traore, Biscan, Smicer, Baros, Cisse, Le Tallec etc. Our squad now is leagues ahead of that.

djimi traore was in the cl final aswell ronnie you knob

“I think Mourinho would be very good,” he says. “Look at the players that he brought to Chelsea. He spent the same amount of money that Rafa did and those players are in the Champions League final now.

Double serving of "WTF??????????????" please!

In 2005 and 2007 Rafa had spent a fraction and was in two finals and won one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Idiot.

Mike.

it was quite apparent at the night Dub13 organised in the Tram not long ago that Whelan did not like Rafa and wanted to see the back of him.

Once a manc ..... :(

Moving on from that twat Whelan

Inter supposedly lodged a 25m bid for Gerrard which needless to say got rejected.

And Juve want another one of our midfielders - reportedly prepared to offer 15m for Xabi

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/09/ufngerrard109.xml

zing wrote: »
    And Juve want another one of our midfielders - reportedly prepared to offer 15m for Xabi
    I hope that's just paper talk! As much as I think Xabi hasn't played too well in the last couple of seasons, I think a lot of what he does on the pitch goes unnoticed e.g. the thankless running to quickly close down opposition players with the ball.

15 million? Hmmmmmmm! Everyone has a price and if thats to be belived I'd sell him assuming a solid replacment can be found.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd sell him assuming a solid replacment can be found.
    Is Gareth Barry a solid replacement? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i hope every liverpool fan that meats whelan tells him where to go, we dont need ex-players like him and souness giving rafa bad press.

the hilarious thing is ronnie and souness are the first to give out about the owners handing of affairs in the public eye - not the liverpool way they say, well kettle say hello to pot....

also does anyone fact check these days?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement