Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Call_me_al wrote: »
    also does anyone fact check these days?

Nope.

they "SKY check", if they said it, it must be true :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

mike65 wrote: »
    15 million? Hmmmmmmm! Everyone has a price and if thats to be belived I'd sell him assuming a solid replacment can be found.

Mike.

Would want more than 15m to sell him to be honest.
    On form he is one of the best passers of the ball in Europe.
    Injuries have messed his season up but a good pre season and it will
    hopefully be like having a new signing if he recaptures his form.
    Selling him and replacing him with Barry would be flipping maddness.
    We would then have no midfield playmaker despite having 5 or 6 midfielders.

Bring back Garry Mack!!!!!!

Xabi already said he doesnt wanna go anywhere so unless we get an offer Rafa deems to good to turn down. i cant see him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

joker77 wrote: »
    Oh boo hoo for poor Harry, is it?

Not necessarily poor Harry but cursing the guy and calling him a greedy bastard is a bit extreme.
    Plenty of players with his level of ability have come back from worse injuries, and I still think he had the potential to be involved, albeit as a squad player. So yea, I think if he was able to get himself back fully fit he would be used.

He's tried that on more than one occassion to be fair. It didn't work as he just got injured again or else the fans slated him after one or two games, despite his long term absence.
    After picking up all the money over the past few years, would you not feel a responsibility to pay them back? You'd just say "Thanks very much for all the money, now that I'm getting back fit I'd rather make some bucks somewhere else than take a pay cut."

Maybe he knows he can never get back to the level required at Liverpool and feels it'd be better to try at a lower level. There's rumours he may even come back to Australia. Would he be a greedy bastard if he did that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'm sorry, but in my opinion it's all about the money now with Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

At least wait til you see where he goes next. If he somehow signs a big money deal then yep I'll agree with you.

talk of Juve being a possible destination (they seem to love all our players at the minute:))

Harry Kewell never really had the fans on his back when he was on the pitch Xavi. In fact despite his injury troubles and attitude problems, his name was regularly sung whenever he was playing or warming up. Cant ever remember him being booed to be honest.

My biggest problem with Kewell is the effort, or lack there of, when he was on the pitch.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    talk of Juve being a possible destination (they seem to love all our players at the minute:))

Harry Kewell never really had the fans on his back when he was on the pitch Xavi. In fact despite his injury troubles and attitude problems, his name was regularly sung whenever he was playing or warming up. Cant ever remember him being booed to be honest.

My biggest problem with Kewell is the effort, or lack there of, when he was on the pitch.

Effort considering he is earning 60k a week and plays 5 games a year should
    be a given an not something you have to hope for from a player.
    Thats the reason i think he is a wanker to be quite honest.
    When you are ronaldo or henry and score 20 goals a season from a deep
    position then you can be forgiven for not tracking back etc.
    But when you are an average player work rate should be the first thing you
    bring to the team. He is everything Kuyt is not.
    Kuyt had kewells skill and vision he would be one of the best wingers in the world.
    Severe waste of talent.
    Didnt he also go for an operation so he would be fit for Oz despite it meaning
    he would have to miss lots of club games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

why the hating of Gareth Barry?he is a very good player who could do a job.To me he doesnt pass the ball like xabi but he is very consistent,he will give you at least a 7 out of 10 game every game.To me he is an ideal liverpool squad player,the kind you need when you rest gerrard or mash away or at home to birmingham or wigan.
    We need players like this if we are to win the title,and lets not forget its for very little cash.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    why the hating of Gareth Barry?he is a very good player who could do a job.To me he doesnt pass the ball like xabi but he is very consistent,he will give you at least a 7 out of 10 game every game.To me he is an ideal liverpool squad player,the kind you need when you rest gerrard or mash away or at home to birmingham or wigan.
    We need players like this if we are to win the title,and lets not forget its for very little cash.

Never said he wouldnt be a good addition to the squad, what i said was he
    would not be suitable as a replacement for Alonso if thats what Rafa is planning.
    He doesnt have the vision or passing range, plus he is not a playmaker.
    Even with Alonso playing poor, without him Liverpool are a weaker side and a
    lot less creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Barry 8 goals,10 assists this season,not bad for a holding midfielder.

we need to realise that maybe xabi himself wants to leave and unless xavi becomes available what type of player is identical to him?

Xabi said last week he wants to stay! :( and Rafa does not want to get rid of him.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/05/09/manual_094501.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/05/02/ufnliverpool102.xml

If Alonso leaves, it'll be because we get an offer to good to turn down. I have faith in Rafa to know what that offer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

we need to realise that maybe xabi himself wants to leave and unless xavi becomes available what type of player is identical to him?

8 goals but I think 5 or so of them were penalties. I like Barry and reckon he'd be a good addition to the squad but not as a replace for Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Player says he wants to stay, manager says he wants to stay - he'll prob be gone next week so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

zing wrote: »
    Player says he wants to stay, manager says he wants to stay - he'll prob be gone next week so.

With Parry in charge I wouldn't be suprised, He'll go on a free and we'll end up paying his wages for 2 years :D

• Advertisement

http://premiersoccerstats.com/Records.cfm?DOrderby=OPAss&DYearby=2007/8

Shows 8 goals and 8 assists.
    Still a really good return.

Kenwyne jones has 10 assists and 7 goals this season.
    Really think he could do a damn fine job as #2 to Torres.
    Pace, power, good in the air, can hold up the ball.
    Anyone else have any thoughts on him?
    10 assists in a **** team is an excellent return.

Would love to see Jones, ashley young and silva/mancini join the club in the summer.
    Along with barry and a new full back think that would put us in a very stong league
    position next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive no problem with Barry. My problem is this.

-We seem to have a very limited budget this summer due to the boardroom problems. It looks as if we might have to sell to buy. Our flanks are BY FAR our weakest areas and we keep being linked to a central midfielder that isnt even as good as what we currently have. Thats what depresses me.

Chelsea, Utd & ourselves are in the market for a right back this year. Chelsea are being linked to Ramos & Alves, Utd will undoubtedly buy someone top class and we are being linked to bloody Deegan on a free transfer.

Tusky wrote: »
    Chelsea, Utd & ourselves are in the market for a right back this year. Chelsea are being linked to Ramos & Alves, Utd will undoubtedly buy someone top class and we are being linked to bloody Deegan on a free transfer.

And then gimps like ronnie whelan say Liverpools spending is on par with that
    of Chelsea. God he is some idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

IrishMike wrote: »
    And then gimps like ronnie whelan say Liverpools spending is on par with that
    of Chelsea. God he is some idiot.
    Sure PHB will probably be along any minute with all the facts & figures to back up what whelan said..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sure PHB will probably be along any minute with all the facts & figures to back up what whelan said..
    He won't.

He's busy with exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

DesF wrote: »
    He won't.

He's busy with exams.

FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

zAbbo wrote: »
    FACT!
    Yes, fact.

He said it in a post around here someplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Also that a fairly trollish comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so, what does any of ye think of the bid for gerrard?

i thought it would have been discussed.

wonder if someone goes higher would G+H decide to accept?

event wrote: »
    so, what does any of ye think of the bid for gerrard?

i thought it would have been discussed.

wonder if someone goes higher would G+H decide to accept?

I dont think it should be given a moments thought. If they bid 40m then maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

malice_ wrote: »
    Is Gareth Barry a solid replacement? ;)

A Barry / Young combo would be. In return they can have Riise, Carson and Voronin.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/05/09/pepe-reina-in-line-for-third-golden-gloves-award-100252-20885667/

Reina wins the golden gloves again for the third season on the trot. yet people still doubt him. undeniably one of the best around imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Pepe Reina has, for the third consecutive season, picked up the Premier League Golden Gloves award for the most clean sheets in a season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159874080509-1205.htm

eccchhhhooooooo! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Xavi6 wrote: »
    At least wait til you see where he goes next. If he somehow signs a big money deal then yep I'll agree with you.
    Ok, if he takes the same pay cut to go to a club where he'll be guaranteed first team football, I'll take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A Barry / Young combo would be. In return they can have Riise, Carson and Voronin.
    I like the sound of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yis can have that combo for torres and 25m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-20885667/

Reina wins the golden gloves again for the third season on the trot. yet people still doubt him. undeniably one of the best around imo.

Maybe last year but from speaking to people about him, they all rate him fairly highly.

Nice achievement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Maybe last year but from speaking to people about him, they all rate him fairly highly.

Nice achievement

Really? i always think people have a different impression of him.

Even Redspider only a couple of weeks ago in here said that he aint good enough to be our first choice! :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Really? i always think people have a different impression of him.

Even Redspider only a couple of weeks ago in here said that he aint good enough to be our first choice! :eek:
    O RLY? How odd. Excellent keeper. Reminds me of Seaman for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i think he's a top class keeper but he gets caught a bit on crosses, but then so do most

for shot stopping he is generally quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Barry is no replacement for Alonso and I'd like to see a bid put in for Young.

I think he is probably being looked at for more of a LB position than in midfield and probably for his versatility. He only seems to have shone really since O'Neil took over which that manager can do for a lot of players. His price is inflated IMO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Martin O'Neill today reacted furiously to 'staggering' comments from Rafa Benitez as the row over Liverpool's bid for Gareth Barry rumbled on.

Speaking to this morning's Mirror, Benitez suggested there had been an ongoing dialogue with his Villa Park counterpart - a suggestion which has been flatly denied by O'Neill.

The Villa boss was angry as news of Liverpool's interest was made public last week but Benitez claims the Anfield outfit have done nothing wrong.

O'Neill told [url]www.avfc.co.uk:[/url] "I'm absolutely astonished at this story 'Rafa Exposes O'Neill' I've never denied speaking to Rafa Benitez so how can you be exposed for something you haven't denied?

"I think Rafa is being very clever here. He gives the impression that there's been constant dialogue. That's simply and utterly untrue.

"He made a phone call to me; I did not initiate the phone call. He asked about Gareth Barry and I said: 'Well he's got a testimonial and two years left to run and he's our best player. So what would the reaction be?'

"I said that I would speak to our owner - obviously because he has a big, big say in the proceedings - and I assumed he would have the same answer as myself, that Gareth wasn't for sale.

"So I'm astonished to read this. The next conversation I had with Rafa Benitez was last Friday morning when Liverpool had put in a faxed offer to us which we received on Thursday afternoon.

"There was hardly time to speak to the chairman or to react to things before it was in the Liverpool Echo. The only reason Rafa Benitez was phoning me was to cover himself! It was as simple as that."

O'Neill added: "I see there's a reference in the paper this morning, and this is his quote: 'I was surprised by part of his comments I had a private conversation with him 20 days ago. He knew everything about my idea and I knew about his idea.'

"What idea did I have? I've got absolutely no idea! I have no idea what he's talking about. It's absolutely crazy.

"It suggests this is a conversation that I wanted to keep going, to keep on the boiling pot. Absolutely not. It's a complete nonsense.

"This is not something I initiated and I certainly was not on the phone to him to ask him about his players either, which I think is something he's trying to refer to.

"That is not true. He mentioned players himself but I might not be interested in any of his players."

Seing as Martin O'Neil seems to be respected by virtually everyone I cant see this whole saga doing Liverpools reputation much good (though you have bigger problems behind the scenes tbh). hope all this rubbish gets sorted soon though as Liverpool is a club ive always really liked and im really sick of the story/transfer saga especially seing as the season isnt even over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Seing as Martin O'Neil seems to be respected by virtually everyone I cant see this whole saga doing Liverpools reputation much good (though you have bigger problems behind the scenes tbh). hope all this rubbish gets sorted soon though as Liverpool is a club ive always really liked and im really sick of the story/transfer saga especially seing as the season isnt even over yet.

o'neill respected by everyone? :confused:

anyway he is just annoyed that barry wants to go, and is trying to get as much as he can for him, i actually hope we dont get him, waste of time and doesnt address any of our problems unless alonso leaves.

the only villa player that would make the liverpool first XI is Young

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    the only villa player that would make the liverpool first XI is Young

The can is open, there are flipping worms everywhere.
    What have you done!!!!!!!!!

not even a controversial statement :D

Well Berger made the Liverpool starting XI:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Gabby Agbon would too..IMO

as our lone striker ahead of torres :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The only Villa player that would make it into the Liverpool starting IX would be the little Valencia forward called David!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

O'Neill is furious.. it's manifesting itself as fury at Benitez/Liverpool, but I'd say he's just furious that he is going to lose Gareth Barry and is lashing out. It's not good for Aston Villa's ambitions to sell/lose their best players, and it must be incredibly frustrating for him when he's trying to build something. But welcome to the real world, AV aren't in the Champions League, and that's where players want to strut their stuff.

RWF ahead of Kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

No feeding off Gerard and creating space for Torres run into. He would be great on the wing. His speed alone would be a major asset

In regards to Reina. I think he is under rated by non Liverpool fans but over rated by Liverpool fans.

He is a good keeper and I think he will only get better but he has some big flaws. People always say he is a great shot stopper but this season especially he has made some major errors. Many many times this season he has let in a shot that I felt he should have done better on. He is also awful on crosses.

Having said that, his distribution is second to none and he is capable of pulling off amazing saves. I think hes probably the best young keeper in the world right now and in time, will be up there with the best.

James has only one less clean sheet and he is playing for Portsmouth! What I would like to see is the amount of saves each keeper makes. Reina doesn't have to pull off as many saves in a game as someone in a lesser team would.

I'm chuffed hes at Liverpool though and think hes a great keeper.

nah casillas is the best young keeper, reina is up there tho, and james is like a fine wine, that was ****e when he was in our cellar :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement