Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

spockety wrote: »
    Well someone is going to have to make the step up sometime, otherwise there is no point buying lots of reserve team players. Rafa's idea is to emulate Wenger in terms of youth transfer policies, he has said that.

With Liverpool acheiving a lot at youth and reserve level over the last couple of seasons, you would have to hope that there is at least 1 player there who will step up to the mark and not be another Neil Mellor, John Welsh, or Jon Otsemobor....

Nemeth, Insua & Plesis are the most likely candidates. At the same time, theres no point putting someone in the first team if they arent good enough. At the very least, the reserves are a good earner with the off chance of unearthing a gem (i,e Fabregas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

All I know about the reserves is what I have read in reports.
    On Nemeth & Brouwer I don't know, cos it's a huge step up for the first team.
    Rafa did bring them to Anfield so you'd hope they'd be able to make it.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    All I know about the reserves is what I have read in reports.
    On Nemeth & Brouwer I don't know, cos it's a huge step up for the first team.
    Rafa did bring them to Anfield so you'd hope they'd be able to make it.

Ive watched most of the reserve matches this season. Seriously doubt Brouwer will ever make the first team at Liverpool. Insua looks very good and I'm confident he could provide backup at the least, at LB. Its hard to know how Nemeth would do against better defenders but he certainly looks a talent. Will make it somewhere, if not at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think dicking our club around publicly is any way to entice the club captain to join you

Links to statements from Liverpool that are "dicking" your club around please. If not, then back in your angry little box.

Only one man seems to have an inability to shut up crying in the media about this, and it most certainly isnt Rafa Benitez.

edit:well said Mr Gerrard. Please end all transfer speculation about him NOW :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Brouwer will definitely not make the first team judging by his reserve performances this season. He has looked very very poor in comparison to Nemeth who i think will definitely be a premiership striker in years to come. Insua has the potential to be the best left back in the EPL IMO and Plessis will be a good squad player as backup to Masch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

With Liverpool acheiving a lot at youth and reserve level over the last couple of seasons, you would have to hope that there is at least 1 player there who will step up to the mark and not be another Neil Mellor
    In fairness, while the other two have more or less disappeared off the radar, Mellor has been injured quite a bit. He's at Preston and has had knee trouble I think. He deserves a lot of credit for two goals in particular which I never tire of watching:

The 30 yard screamer against Arsenal

The second goal against Olympiakos

From the highlights that I've seen of the reserves I agree with the general consensus on Brouwer. He took his goal against Villa well the other night and he did set up Nemeth nicely however.

Melion wrote: »
    Insua has the potential to be the best left back in the EPL IMO

:eek: Exaggerating a bit ? If that was the case surely he would be playing first team football regularly already. The lad is 19 aint he ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    :eek: Exaggerating a bit ? If that was the case surely he would be playing first team football regularly already. The lad is 19 aint he ?

well i s'pose he did say "has the potential to be", which is a very tough thing to disprove.

He does look great though, definately looks like a better option then Riise at the moment anyway. Id be happy enough with him and Aurelio at LB next season. Aurelio will be rested a fair bit so as to stop him getting broken everytime he plays 2 games in a week, so Insua could get plenty of game time. Id love a top notch RWF and RB, as well as a new young winger. Speaking of which what do you folks make of the rumours Dos Santos will be allowed to leave Barca for 7.5million this summer? City apparantly in the lead to get him at the moment, but for that money we should really have a crack at him imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I have to say, signing Dos Santos would be a dream come true to me. If only cos I'm married to a Mexican so I've been watching their games and supporting them for a few years now.

Mind you, I am also a huge fan of Neri Castillo, but he isn't exactly doing the busines for City that he does for Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ah cheers for that malice_, whenever I hear/read Mellor's name that strike against Arsenal always springs to mind, [very Stevie G esque strike too :pac:].

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Links to statements from Liverpool that are "dicking" your club around please. If not, then back in your angry little box.

Only one man seems to have an inability to shut up crying in the media about this, and it most certainly isnt Rafa Benitez.

edit:well said Mr Gerrard. Please end all transfer speculation about him NOW :)

Oh why look here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/10/premierleague.astonvilla

Sample Quotes:
    accusing the Liverpool manager of being "disingenuous" and "not respecting anything"
    "All this about a prolonged conversation is simply untrue. It's disingenuous of him and he knows that. Rafa said something about wanting to respect our viewpoint by waiting until the end of the season. In my view Rafa does not respect anything."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While I have been greatly encouraged by everything I have seen, heard and read about Nemeth and Insua the reality is that it is far more likely for them to be playing their football elsewhere (probably at a lower level than prem top half) within three years than being fixtures in our first team. That is just the way it is.

Mellor has been very unlucky with injuries since he left Anfield. This has stunted and limited his development so it's hard to say that he wasn't good enough if he had maintained a clean run of fitness over the last three years. But he didn't and he will probably see out the rest of his career as a Championship / League One striker. I'd take the form he showed in 2004 / 5 over Voronin though - that's for sure!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

People forget that Kuyt was absolutely awful for most of the season. He played well in the last 6 weeks, mainly in the champions league. I like him and hes a good option to have but surely we need to upgrade on him.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that, around the turn of the year, I was calling for Kuyt to be dropped. His touch was absolutely shocking, and for all his huff and puff, he wasnt impacting on games at all. However, he has subsequently admitted that he was dealing with some pretty significant personal problems earlier in the year.

And that aside, since Rafa has switched to the 4-2-3-1, Kuyt has been an ever-present, and he has flourished. He's right up there with Torres and Gerrard in terms of performances since the Barnsley game.

Kuyt's still getting a lot of flack for his performances earlier in the season, but judging on his recent showings, he deserves another crack at the whip. He may not be a flair player, but he's incredibly effective at stretching the defence, and at winning the ball high up the pitch. He's chipped in with his goals too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Not giving out but have you seen many reserve games this year? Every time i see the lad he impresses me more and more. Looks better going forward than most EPL left backs(bar Evra, Cole and Clichy), so comfortable on the bar which you expect from an argie. I have no doubts once he gets a run of 2-3 games in a row he will be impossible to displace from the starting XI

Kuyt has definitely thrived in the 4-2-3-1 formation. He's far more intelligent than Pennant when it comes to making runs or spotting passes and he's also got the energy to run all day. I wonder how much of his recent resurgence is down to the fact that he doesn't really have any competition for that position, unlike up front where he has to displace Torres?

With Kuyt playing wide right, Babel playing wide left, Crouch expected to leave, Nemeth probably too inexperienced to make the step up and Voronin just not good enough are we not looking at potentially being very short of options up front especially if, God forbid, Torres gets injured?

Melion wrote: »
    Not giving out but have you seen many reserve games this year? Every time i see the lad he impresses me more and more. Looks better going forward than most EPL left backs(bar Evra, Cole and Clichy), so comfortable on the bar which you expect from an argie. I have no doubts once he gets a run of 2-3 games in a row he will be impossible to displace from the starting XI

As Ive said, Ive watched most of the reserves games this season. I think Insua could make it in the first team but saying he is on his way to being the best left back in the premier league is a bit premature.

If you put Voronin in the reserves, he would look a bit special. The difference in quality is absolutely immense. We wont know truly how good Insua is until we see him defend against the likes of Drogba, Adebayor, Ronaldo etc...

We wont know truly how good Insua is until we see him defend against the likes of Drogba, Adebayor, Ronaldo etc...
    Even that mightn't be enough. Remember Arbeloa's debut in the Nou Camp last season? He kept Ronaldinho very quiet and has put in some very solid performances this season too but still he's not particularly highly regarded by Liverpool fans. It's probably because he's keeping Finnan out of the team or something :p.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

is the match televised today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dardoz wrote: »
    is the match televised today?

Nope - not according to http://liveonsat.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

:cool:
    DeadSkin wrote: »
    Ah cheers for that malice_, whenever I hear/read Mellor's name that strike against Arsenal always springs to mind, [very Stevie G esque strike too :pac:].

not only does/did he shoot look him, but he looked like him too. They were the spitting image of each other. so much so, I wonder was Stevie G's dad a milkman:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Insua starts today so another chance to see if he's ready for the first team.

What is wrong with Benitez ? Crouch isnt even in the squad. Surely he should have given him one last game? Disgraceful. I'm never more unexcited before a game as when I see Voronin in the starting line up. Will be good to see Insua play again.

Reina

Arbeloa----Carra--Skrtel---Insua

Gerrard--Mascherano

Kuyt
    Voronin
    Babel

Torres

Or it could be a 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Think this may be voronins last chance too. decisions may already be made on Crouchy so has nothing to prove either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

What is wrong with Benitez ? Crouch isnt even in the squad. Surely he should have given him one last game? Disgraceful. I'm never more unexcited before a game as when I see Voronin in the starting line up. Will be good to see Insua play again.

True. And what signal does it give to the reserves that have done so well all season?. Even a place on the bench would show that their progress has been noted and is being rewarded. Instead they don't even get a chance in one of the most unimportant matches we've played in years.

Poor form IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

any streams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then Crouch and Alonso are gone.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

crouch is a done deal to pompey according to the itk mr alan was telling me i dont know, and doesnt exist

any streams that actually work anywhere? trying to follow on sportinglife but its fairly vague on details...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691374

God knows many sources are best ignored and it may be bull, but as it stands I think this is more true and false.

Miek.

mike65 wrote: »
    http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691374

God knows many sources are best ignored and it may be bull, but as it stands I think this is more true and false.

Miek.

It originated in Marca. Didnt Alonso say he would never play for Madrid though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Goal Voronin apparently. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shotamoose wrote: »
    Goal Voronin apparently. Madness.

Hopefully that doesnt mean Rafa will keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He deserves another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Might convince someone to take Voronin off our hands. Goal to Torres, gets him the record ahead of RVN :)

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    He deserves another season.

He really doesnt you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes I know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Villa only looking like Intertoto and Barry scoring. He'll surely want away now

Derby finished on -69 GD. :D

woops. wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Stekelly wrote: »
    He really doesnt you know.

Hopefully somebody saw him today and wants to snap him up.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Hopefully somebody saw him today and wants to snap him up.

Tesco maybe. They're always looking for people.

Stekelly wrote:
    Tesco maybe. They're always looking for people.

Aye, I think they're running an 'outreach' program and all at the moment. suits everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Right.

Who's out of Liverpool FC in the closed season?? I'd guess at Riise, Crouch, Voronin(hopefully?), Pennant, and Benayoun.

Ins: I haven't got a f**kin clue!!!!

:o

Right.

Who's out of Liverpool FC in the closed season?? I'd guess at Riise, Crouch, Voronin(hopefully?), Pennant, and Benayoun.

Ins: I haven't got a f**kin clue!!!!

:o

I think Yossi will stay. Seems happy enough at being a squad player, and can play a number of roles in the system, LW, LWF, RW, RWF or Gerrards supporting role. Pennant will probably leave to make room for a better winger. Riise, Crouch and Voro hopefully gone as you say. Also a chance Finnan could be gone since we keep getting linked with RB's. Rumours still persist over Alonso as well, worryingly enough...

Ins, I want; Dos Santos, Silva, Rafinha and a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

so is there no chance of villa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Any links for the goals today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

is he not madrid bound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think Yossi will stay. Seems happy enough at being a squad player, and can play a number of roles in the system, LW, LWF, RW, RWF or Gerrards supporting role. Pennant will probably leave to make room for a better winger. Riise, Crouch and Voro hopefully gone as you say. Also a chance Finnan could be gone since we keep getting linked with RB's. Rumours still persist over Alonso as well, worryingly enough...

Ins, I want; Dos Santos, Silva, Rafinha and a striker.

Benayoun reminds me of Garcia, I just don't think he cuts the mustard at this level?

Thank f**k Harry Kewell's gone though.............:D

id be astonished to be honest. think we'll get 1 big name, top class player, and it'll be a winger. Not sure we'll even see a striker come in, could see Kuyt and Babel being the backup for Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Can we send Kyut away to one of those kids soccer camps?

Maybe he'll pick up some tips on being a solid goalscorer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement