Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

A top class winger would be handy, Babel could be a back up striker as well as a decent winger in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villa only looking like Intertoto and Barry scoring. He'll surely want away now

dunno, sure the inter twobob is only 2 extra games before the wafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bare Stats

Played___Won__Drawn___Lost____GF____GA
    All competitions
    All competitions - Home -30
    All competitions - Away -28

CLEAN SHEETS: 24
    Premiership: 17
    FAILED TO SCORE: 10
    Premiership: 8

Awards -
    Fernando Torres - Barclays Player of the Month for February
    Golden Gloves Pepe Reina

Premier League 76 points (GD +39) Third highest total in Liverpool Prem history.

16 players scored this season (unfortunatly Riises was at wrong end), 6 Hat-tricks scored

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So now that Utd have won the title, again, are the pool fans getting worried about their 18 year long record of 18 league title being broken in the next few years, by a team other than Liverpool?

Not at all astro. You got anything else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

astrofool wrote: »
    So now that Utd have won the title, again, are the pool fans getting worried about their 18 year long record of 18 league title being broken in the next few years, by a team other than Liverpool?

nah, we're still holding on tight to them 5 european cups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

astrofool wrote: »

in an era where winning the league has been out of our reach we've done the next best thing and won everything else available, some multiple times. lets see if the other top 4 teams continue to win trophies when fergie/wenger leave, abromovic walks away.

its something i'm definitely proud of. i'm confident the next time we win 1 league, the next few will follow soon after. i have confidence in what rafa is trying to build, for sure, no?

Wenger has won zip since Rafas arrival.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote: »
    Wenger has won zip since Rafas arrival.

Mike.

FA cup in 05 i think, just before Rafa won the CL? But its still been a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hope Danny Murphy's daughter is ok, congrats to him for scoring today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Call_me_al wrote: »
    hope Danny Murphy's daughter is ok, .

? What happened?

Taken in to hospital yesterday thought he would miss the game, she got a bit better towards the end of the day and managed to get away to the game as she was okish. Then he scored the winner, "Written in the stars" was I believe what he said. Fair play to him.

I heard him mention something but didn't quite catch it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

would this work:
    was thinking over the last day or so, would it be crazy to revert back to 4-4-2 by signing villa for say 20mill, masch and gerrard the two central midfielders, lucas and plessis the two in reserve, sell alonso for 12mil(realistic i think) and keep crouch as our top class reserve striker(if he'll go with it). we would have the most feared striker force in the PL for 8 million pound.

easier said than done of course!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    would this work:
    was thinking over the last day or so, would it be crazy to revert back to 4-4-2 by signing villa for say 20mill, masch and gerrard the two central midfielders, lucas and plessis the two in reserve, sell alonso for 12mil(realistic i think) and keep crouch as our top class reserve striker(if he'll go with it). we would have the most feared striker force in the PL for 8 million pound.

wingers are more important imho...

• Advertisement

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! 4-2-3-1. The ghost of Valencias past is our future. Its the wide postions that need the work.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    would this work:

Don't think so. Gerrard is not suited to playing a disciplined midfield role. Would the addition of Villa make up for blunting Gerrard's effectiveness? Maybe it would but I hope Rafa sticks with the formation that allows Gerrard a free role behind Torres because I can only see it getting better. I haven't seen Villa play much so no idea if he can play in that position, if he can great. Otherwise better to spend the money on a wing forward who can fit in to the current preferred formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Interesting to see that Gillet turned up for the game today. Didn't make it to Anfield for tha last home game last week but happened to be in London today ? Hopefully he was in town to meet with a certain bunch of businessmen from Dubai and now that the football is over for this season we'll start to see progress with the off the field problems surrounding the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

looks like Alonso could be on his way this summer.

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691374

Ill be sad to see him go. I think he should be given another season to get back to form....If he goes paves the way for barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

joe123 wrote: »
    looks like Alonso could be on his way this summer.

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691374

Ill be sad to see him go. I think he should be given another season to get back to form....If he goes paves the way for barry.

paves the way for barry and also pays the way for barry 24 million you reckon thats fairly high aint it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I really hope Xabi doesnt go. He's been unlucky with injuries, but there is no doubting his ability. He's a cool head, and has produced in some very big games for us too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If Xabi goes I will be gutted.. he's a real Benitez era defining player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

class player alright

sometimes i think he could give a little more going forward, if he pushed himself he could get a few more goals, would hate to lose him and replace with GB, a sideways step at best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Update on Leto
    Sebastian Leto's future at Liverpool is in serious doubt.
    The News of the World says Leto, 21, has not played for the club since December as Italian cops are probing the validity of thousands of citizenship decisions.

The Argentinian, who has an Italian grandparent, has been caught up in the mess and Liverpool are not prepared to risk playing him until the probe is concluded.

Boss Rafa Benitez favours sending the winger on loan to Spain but may have to sell.

Think his development has been really stunted because of this.
    He could have been a really decent squad player with lots of pace and power.
    Pity but hopefully he will bounce back if he can get the passport sorted

Hicks says stadium work due to begin in September...

From the Liverpool Daily Post today:
    LIVERPOOL CO-OWNER Tom Hicks last night said building working on Liverpool's new stadium will begin in the autumn.

The 60,000-capacity development was given planning permission last week, but doubts have been raised about the club's ability to fund the £350m project while the power battle between co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett continues.

But Hicks last night said: "Site work starts in September and construction in late October or early November.

"Completion will still be in time for August 2011."

Hicks is also sure he will be able to raise funds to buy Gillett's share of the club to kill off interest from investors DIC.

Gillett is believed to prefer selling to Dubai consortium DIC. At the same time, a fans-buyout continues to gather momentum.

As far as the stadium is concerned, the Daily Post understands an initial £60m would allow the club to start land and preparatory works for the stadium, and see the scheme through to the end of the year.

A statement on LFC’s website after planning permission was granted last week said: “The club is committed to take the stadium project forward and start on site as soon as possible and aim for an opening for the 2011/12 season.”

Right. I suspect it'll be the chief executive of DIC who turns the sod myself

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,451 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »

typical. 40 lads and only with with a shovel.

Tauren wrote: »
    typical. 40 lads and only with with a shovel.

They'll probably still get it built faster than Hicks would

Thats 2 reports i've read of the new stadium now, and both have said 60,000 capacity - is it not supposed to be 70,000+? The initial plans by Moores in the bowel stadium were 60,000 and that was one of the major reasons for a revamp..

is it just a mistake, or is this a clause in the planning permission thing for better access to the site? that it stays at 60,000 if the infrastructure isn't in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats 2 reports i've read of the new stadium now, and both have said 60,000 capacity - is it not supposed to be 70,000+? The initial plans by Moores in the bowel stadium were 60,000 and that was one of the major reasons for a revamp..

is it just a mistake, or is this a clause in the planning permission thing for better access to the site? that it stays at 60,000 if the infrastructure isn't in place?

I'm pretty sure its 70,000 with plans to increase the size depending on infrastructure developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »

it was planned at 70,000 (r at least 60,000 with the possibilty to expand further), until the credit crunch happened. they can't afford the extra 100million or so the additional 10,000 seats will costs, they scaled it back because of this iirc. something to do with the larger stadium needing a more expensive to implement structural design.

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure its 70,000 with plans to increase the size depending on infrastructure developments.

good stuff, would suck if there was any reason to be staying at 60,000. Probably just a mistake so.

From what I remember, it was said months ago that construction would begin on a 60k seater stadium, but by the time it was finished it would actually open as a 71k seater, as in the meantime other infrastructure around transport etc. would be put in place to enable them to bring it up to 71k with the council's blessing.

It has nothing to do with the credit crunch.

spockety wrote: »
    From what I remember, it was said months ago that construction would begin on a 60k seater stadium, but by the time it was finished it would actually open as a 71k seater, as in the meantime other infrastructure around transport etc. would be put in place to enable them to bring it up to 71k with the council's blessing.

indeed you are correct. doing some reading on it, the new stadium is a traditional 4 stand design, whereas the old plans were the bowl type like the Emirates. the reason for the redesign was indeed costs however, and given the timing of the credit crunch i'm sure it had some influence on the decision to redraw plans.

It has nothing to do with the credit crunch.

Was scaled back largely as a result of significantly increased costs of steel iirc. Saw a reference that the new footprint is 25% smaller than the original Hicks bowl but not sure how true that is.

As spockety says it's for a 60k seater capable of expanding to around 71k (have also seen 73k mentioned could have been a typo) whereas the original design was capable of expanding to around 76k.

indeed you are correct. doing some reading on it, the new stadium is a traditional 4 stand design, whereas the old plans were the bowl type like the Emirates. the reason for the redesign was indeed costs however, and given the timing of the credit crunch i'm sure it had some influence on the decision to redraw plans.

I think you are confusing your stadium redesigns.

There have been two iterations of the 4 stand design. The old bowl type dates back to 2001!!

The reason for the 2nd 4 stand design was because of spiralling costs of the first one, not the ability to get money for it.
    It was coming back with ridiculous build costs of 600m+, so it would have been pointless trying to go ahead with it.
    Costs needed to be cut, but it has nothing to do with a 'credit crunch', and more to do with prudent project management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i thought we were getting at least 70,000 seater stadium to stay competitive?:confused:
    so were going to compete with man u by building a stadium with 20,000 less seats than them.
    at £30 a ticket for 19 league games that makes us 11.4m worse off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

prendy wrote: »
    i thought we were getting at least 70,000 seater stadium to stay competitive?:confused:
    so were going to compete with man u by building a stadium with 20,000 less seats than them.
    at £30 a ticket for 19 league games that makes us 11.4m worse off?

How are we going to fill a 70,000 seat stadium every week?
    The global Liverpool FC franchise isnt as prolific as Utd's nor is there the same amount of affluent fans in Liverpool who can afford such ticket prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

The global Liverpool FC franchise isnt as prolific as Utd's nor is there the same amount of affluent fans in Liverpool who can afford such ticket prices.

funny-pictures-cat-birdcage.jpg

I think you are confusing your stadium redesigns.

bah... the whole thing is really confusing. :(

Indeed it is. Here's a few years worth of articles from the Echo/Post on it if you're feeling bored:
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/gronudmove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Affulent fans?!
    Unlike Manchester?!!!
    that's a mute point man.

Livrpool would fill out a 70,000 seater stadium no problem.
    There's a 2-3 year wait for season tickets in Anfield as it is!
    Not for League cup games maybe, but deffinately for the big EPL and EC nights.

The stadium is being built at 60,000 when the project starts, however during the development, they are going to apply for permission to have it increased to 71-72,000 by the time it opens.

That however will not be the end of the stadium development, as it is supposedly future proof.
    Meaning that down the line it is designed so that the capacity can be improved again.
    Up to an eventual 80,000 roughly.

Basically.
    The only have permission for 60,000 now.
    Are hoping to improve infrastructure during the building process, so that it can be increased to 71,000 by opening.
    And have the stadium future proofed to over 80,000 down the line.
    (Of course that's well down the line. As in one of the conditions laid out for the increase to 80,000 was that Liverpool shoulder the expense of reopening a disused rail line to shoulder the increased transit!!!)

Then again, all this was released by the Hicks PR team, so who knows!;)

Sure with all the Irish fans buying season tickets they'll be no trouble filling the place :)

Mike.

i think you will find that list is estimated at around 20 years waiting... i have been on it for 4 or so now. it is expected to be completely cleared out when the new stadium is built though.

• Advertisement

Basically.
    The only have permission for 60,000 now.
    Are hoping to improve infrastructure during the building process, so that it can be increased to 71,000 by opening.
    And have the stadium future proofed to over 80,000 down the line.
    (Of course that's well down the line. As in one of the conditions laid out for the increase to 80,000 was that Liverpool shoulder the expense of reopening a disused rail line to shoulder the increased transit!!!)

Actually they only have permission for 45,000 seater now.
    60,000 is based on some infrastructure conditions being met.
    The spade that goes in the ground will be to build an approved 60k seater
    stadium. During the build other conditions will be met or changes applied
    for that will bring it up to either 71k or 73k depending on which report you
    read.

It will NEVER be 80. The max amount of seats the stadium will ever hold is
    71/73K. There will be no future expansion beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Livrpool would fill out a 70,000 seater stadium no problem.
    Not for League cup games maybe, but deffinately for the big EPL and EC nights.
    According to the website - "Please note, there is currently a waiting list of many years for new season tickets."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Former Chelsea and Liverpool target Daniel Alves of Sevilla will be having talks with two big clubs this week, according to the player's agent.

Could Alves be the solution for right full/wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

out of our price range now.

the yanks have changed nothing i fear. we still cant compete with Chelsea/Utd/Real etc financially.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7395831.stm

Chelsea look to have their right back problem sorted so we could be looking at Alves but I suspect Utd are one of the clubs with Real being the other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement