Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

spockety wrote: »
    Actually they only have permission for 45,000 seater now.
    60,000 is based on some infrastructure conditions being met.
    The spade that goes in the ground will be to build an approved 60k seater
    stadium. During the build other conditions will be met or changes applied
    for that will bring it up to either 71k or 73k depending on which report you
    read.

It will NEVER be 80. The max amount of seats the stadium will ever hold is
    71/73K. There will be no future expansion beyond that.

No, there is currently an agreement with Liverpool City Council for a 60,000 seater stadium, as long as conditions that have been agreed by Liverpool are met.
    There are three main ones if I remember correctly.

One is the development of a youth center, and park.
    The second is some area regeneration work.
    The third is some road widening and a new bus terminal.

LFC and LCC have already agreed to this, and plans are drawn up.
    Only if LFC cancelled these already schedualed improvements would the capacity be stuck at 45,000.

The plan is for LFC to submitt revised plans before completion.
    This is to bring it up to 71,000 or so.
    The will have to do a lot of local infrastructure improvements such as more road widening, and lots more area regeneration before LCC allow this, but the plan is to have it all done so that the staium will open at roughly 71,000.

The stadium will definately be future proof, and if you think that it won't you're in dreamland!

The plans are to have it go up to 80,000 + in the future, although not for a decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Strong noises from Spain a while back that he had already pretty much agreed to go to Barca, i'd imagine they'll be one of the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i think you will find that list is estimated at around 20 years waiting... i have been on it for 4 or so now. it is expected to be completely cleared out when the new stadium is built though.
    Daemonic wrote: »
    According to the website - "Please note, there is currently a waiting list of many years for new season tickets."

That bad!
    I guess I'll be waiting till 2011 then!
    I've been on for two years now, and was hoping (albeit naively:p)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    out of our price range now.

the yanks have changed nothing i fear. we still cant compete with Chelsea/Utd/Real etc financially.

tbh i dont think any clubs can, well not with madrid and chelsea anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Does anybody here know what has happened to the TIA website

www.thisisanfield.com

Has been down for 3 days now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I have a bad feeling the yanks are going to give us VERY little to spend on top of what we make on selling this year. 10 mil tops.

With all the players we are going to sell, it looks like its going to be another summer of bolstering the squad and throwing out the dead wood leaving no extra cash for a any big signing at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The stadium will definately be future proof, and if you think that it won't you're in dreamland!

The plans are to have it go up to 80,000 + in the future, although not for a decade or so.

Where are you getting this from? Sources?

I've said what I believe is correct..

45,000 currently. 60,000 with conditions. 71/73k to be applied for later with the hope that that that is opening day capacity. Anything I've seen says that this is the max the stadium will hold, ever.

dardoz wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling the yanks are going to give us VERY little to spend on top of what we make on selling this year. 10 mil tops.

With all the players we are going to sell, it looks like its going to be another summer of bolstering the squad and throwing out the dead wood leaving no extra cash for a any big signing at all.

Well time will tell, but if it is the case it is very unfortunate, it means we are no further on from where we were under David Moores. And poor Rafa is going to spend another season being lambasted by dead weight TV/media pundits for having created a rubbish squad compared to Chelsea and United. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

spockety wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? Sources?

I've said what I believe is correct..

45,000 currently. 60,000 with conditions. 71/73k to be applied for later with the hope that that that is opening day capacity. Anything I've seen says that this is the max the stadium will hold, ever.

That's my understanding too. Have never seen 80k mentioned. The previous Hicks bowl was to seat approx 76k which is the highest potential capacity I can recall seeing mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1IHjSAXYo

Quaresma goal for portugal for anyone that hasnt seen it.
    Work of art so it is.
    The new luis garcia ? ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

IrishMike wrote: »
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1IHjSAXYo

Work of art so it is.

That's a stunning goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

IrishMike wrote: »
    Work of art so it is.

Good luck in trying to get consensus around here that he's a great player...

Besides, I was reading a couple of weeks ago that Porto are looking for 25m for him now, and with the sale of Bosingwa going through, they can afford to be picky. If he moves, I'd say it will only to be to either Chelsea or Real. No one else can afford him.

I'd imagine its 25 million euro.

Spurs,Us,Newcastle,Villa and Arsenal could possibly afford him

Stky10 wrote: »
    Good luck in trying to get consensus around here that he's a great player...

Im unconvinced about him myself to be honest.
    Have only seen him in Europe for Porto and i dont think i have ever watched him and thought he would be a revelation in the premiership or anything like that.
    Seems lightweight and easily pushed off the ball.
    Also is a bit of a diver and a sulker
    But he has speed, unreal skill and can score wonder goals.
    At 25m for a player who may or may not be able to hack the physicality of
    the premiership it would certainly be a risk.
    When he can score goals like that though it makes you wonder what he
    could do for liverpools title aspirations.
    Cant imagine Kuyt or Pennant doing anything like this anytime soon tbh
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=1L82VWIJepE&feature=related
    Never seen so many goals scored with the outside of the boot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Before we signed torres i would have said we would run the same risk with him as regards the physicality of the EPL

dont think we will get quaresma anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

surely the fact that
    a) liverpool are one of the top ten (six even?) clubs in europe
    b) have weaknesses on the wings (defence and mid) and
    c) have world class players in Torres, Mascherano and Gerrard

would entice players like quaresma/alves/mancini/bentley etc. who actually want to play football and not warm the bench ala Wayne Bridge/SWP etc.

Quaresma has been linked with a move to several high profile clubs including Arsenal, Chelsea,[1], Lyon,[2] Bayern Munich,[3] Atlético Madrid,[4] Liverpool,[5] and Real Madrid.[6] Quaresma however has already rejected a move to Munich, joking "In Germany, it always seems very cold!"[3] Atletico have been very public in their desire to sign Quaresma, reported having bid €21 million.[4] On 4 July 2007, the Portuguese press reported a €20.7m (£14m) bid from Liverpool had been turned down.[5]. Porto's president, Pinto da Costa, has already stated that the club will only accept offers for Quaresma above €40 million. Quaresma scored 2 quality goals against Vitória de Guimarães in a 5-0 thrashing.

hold onto your hats lads we might yet pick him up while Auntie Martha {MoN} and Rafa have their little spat over Barry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Quaresma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

sweetie wrote: »
    surely the fact that
    a) liverpool are one of the top ten (six even?) clubs in europe
    b) have weaknesses on the wings (defence and mid) and
    c) have world class players in Torres, Mascherano and Gerrard

would entice players like quaresma/alves/mancini/bentley etc. who actually want to play football and not warm the bench ala Wayne Bridge/SWP etc.

Mancini is not really that good any more, and Bentley needs to prove himself further.

apparently barry will sign a new contract with villa this week,

i think id be happier if he stayed there and we hung onto alonso

he is a decent player but like i said, we need better than decent

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

link??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

100% agree.

much rather have an in form alonso than an in form barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

all i've read is that Villa are looking to open up negotiations asap. nothing has been initiated yet from what i've heard.

ive heard that they are confident that he will stay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7396310.stm

'last ditch' isnt quite accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ive heard that they are confident that he will stay

Wenger was 'confident' Flamini would stay up until a fortnight ago. that means nothing.

Really dont want bentley.
    Had a good season, not a great one.
    Also am unsure about how he would fit into our system and his lack of real pace
    makes me think there are much better options for the huge price we will be forced to
    pay because he is english.

• Advertisement

Wenger was 'confident' Flamini would stay up until a fortnight ago. that means nothing.

we'll see wont we ;)

anyway we dont need him, at all :confused:rafa has a hard on for CM, especially ones that give us many possibilities, yes?

but he has quality

you know our idea for him, no?

always we try to win first :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you know our idea for him, no?

always we try to win first :D

for sure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think Quaresma would be a good shout for Kuyt's place in the 4-2-3-1, would add some real quality to Liverpool as an attacking force. I would be worried for yous, however, that you would be a bit lightweight up front. Babel, Torres, Quaresma - there's no real battler in there to nick a goal in a tight game (dare I say, a Kuyt??). For a reasonable price, I think he would be worth the risk, but €25m+? Too risky maybe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    but he has quality

lmfao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dunno what to make of Quaresma really.

Lot of people saying he's lightweight and gets pushed off the ball easily, but at the same time he's built like a tank, not a slight frame by any means, but yet he goes down so so easy. I think a lot of this is cause he gets the decisions in Portugal, but I'd be confident that, like torres, he could easily hold off players and stay on his feet if that was the more successful approach.

On Torres, Babel, Quaresma being lightweight, i dunno...Torres is a beast, Babel is already very tall and strong, and will develope rapidly for the next 2 or 3 years to be bigger again (remember Ronaldo's metamorphosis at that age), and as I said Quaresma has the build and strength, just up to him if he uses it. I get the point about Kuyt, but thats when you have kuyt on the bench to get amongst them. I think that would all be reasonably well balanced between pace and power. Would like Zarate as another option up front, but if Crouch goes I wonder if we could see a bid for Zigic at Valencia. Hasn't really settled there since he moved and would give same kind of game changing 'pure size' that crouch does. Or perhaps Rafa's interest in Baptista may be rekindled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FFS they'll report any old iron.....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I think Quaresma would be a good shout for Kuyt's place in the 4-2-3-1, would add some real quality to Liverpool as an attacking force. I would be worried for yous, however, that you would be a bit lightweight up front. Babel, Torres, Quaresma - there's no real battler in there to nick a goal in a tight game (dare I say, a Kuyt??). For a reasonable price, I think he would be worth the risk, but €25m+? Too risky maybe.

Torres is an immense battler imo. Always closing down defenders and generally making a nuisance of himself off the ball as well as on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Chelsea offers 50 million euros to LIVERPOOL
    Abramovich se encapricha con Torres Abramovich is encapricha with Torres
    Fernando Torres es el último capricho de Roman Abramovich. Fernando Torres is the latest whim of Roman Abramovich. Según ha adelantado Paco García Caridad, director de Radio MARCA, el Chelsea ofrece 50 millones de euros al Liverpool por Torres, pero no hay negociación porque los 'Reds' no quieren escuchar ninguna oferta por su goleador. According Charity has advanced Paco Garcia, director of Radio Marca, Chelsea offered 50 million euros to Liverpool for Torres, but there is no negotiation because the 'Reds' do not want to listen to any offers for their scorer.

Sin duda, Torres se ha convertido en un pilar fundamental del conjunto que dirige Rafa Benítez y un nuevo ídolo para 'The Kop'. Certainly, Torres has become a cornerstone of all who heads Rafa Benitez and a new idol for 'The Kop'. El último récord que ha logrado el de Fuenlabrada es convertirse, superando a Van Nistelrooy, en el debutante extranjero más goleador en la Premier League con 24 dianas. The last record he has achieved is to become the de Fuenlabrada, beating Van Nistelrooy, in debutant abroad more scorer in the Premier League with 24 goals.

Números como ese del '9' en su primera temporada en Inglaterra ya se han traducido en dinero. Numbers like that of the'9 'in his first season in England have already been translated into money. Fernando Torres se está revalorizando a marchas forzadas. Fernando Torres is revalorizando a rush. Si su traspaso desde el Atlético se cifró en 36 millones de euros, el mercado ya ofrece 50 'kilos' por él. If his transfer from the athletes is estimated at 36 million euros, the market already offers 50 'kilo' for him.

Y, aunque en Anfield no quieren perderle, no es la primera vez que se habla de su posible salida. And, although not want to lose at Anfield, is not the first time that we talk about his possible departure. Hace menos de un mes, el diario 'The Times' publicó que el Liverpool tendrá que devolver cerca de 40 millones de euros a la banca en poco más de un año si no quería verse obligado a vender a Fernando Torres y Ryan Babel. Less than a month ago, the daily 'The Times' published that Liverpool will have to repay about 40 million euros to banks in just over a year if he did not want to be forced to sell Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel.

Ahora, el Liverpool ha rechazado esa primera oferta del Chelsea de 50 millones de euros, pero tratándose de Abramovich, esa cifra puede aumentar. Now Liverpool has rejected the first offer from Chelsea for 50 million euros, but in the case of Abramovich, that figure may increase. De hecho, Avram Grant, técnico de los 'Blues', ya mostró su interés en hacerse con los servicios de Torres cuando quiso conocerle a través de Benayoun. In fact, Avram Grant, the technician 'Blues', already showed their interest in becoming services with Torres when she wanted to know through Benayoun.

Lol at the automatic translator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rafa pretty much again informing Barry we want him, nicely done rafa, says nothing bad at all but keeps the issue alive in the public domain for maximum unsettlement. MON really shouldn't have ever commented though, just gave more credence to what the echo said. Had he kept schtum, there would never have even been an issue to blow over, it would have been just another random transfer story in the papers and treated as such, even if it was TB.
    Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has suggested Martin O'Neill needs to accept the prospect of Gareth Barry leaving Aston Villa.

Benitez has made no secret of his desire to land the £10million-rated Villa captain, after news of the approach to sign Barry became public two weeks ago.

O'Neill has recently voiced his disappointment at the manner of Benitez's approach for Barry and the Villa boss said on Monday that he and chairman Randy Lerner were set to join forces in an attempt to persuade the England midfielder to stay.

However, Benitez has now hinted that O'Neill must come to terms with the fact that Barry, who is believed to be keen to play UEFA Champions League football, is set to leave Villa.

"If your captain wants to leave, it is a problem, but that's football," Benitez told the Liverpool Echo.

Problem

"I have been very clear. The player had said before that he wanted to play Champions League football. We knew that and so tried to sign a good player. It is that simple.

"I think the right approach when you want to sign a player is to talk to the manager.

"I was talking to Martin O'Neill. I said we would like to sign Gareth Barry and asked what the situation was.

"He just said he needed to talk to the owner and I said okay. He will not have any problems with his supporters because he never said to me he wanted to sell Barry.

"We were also talking about (Liverpool goalkeeper) Scott Carson because they have the option to sign him.

Angry

"We were just talking about football so why he was so angry, I do not know."

Benitez has also hit back at the criticism from O'Neill and the Spaniard is adamant that it is not his fault that news of the proposed transfer became public.

"We made an offer but I think we were straight," Benitez added. "When you make an official offer, you do so by fax. Some people see the fax and you cannot control everything.

"The Birmingham press found out about the offer and it was not our fault. They were very clever and used that information.

"I was talking with Martin O'Neill 20 days before that and nobody knew. We were doing things properly. We are waiting now to see what happens next."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3556252,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Was it a week or two ago, Rafa said there was a deal done with some English speaking foreigner, if it was, anyone know of any developments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Was it a week or two ago, Rafa said there was a deal done with some English speaking foreigner, if it was, anyone know of any developments?
    Do Scots/Irish/Welsh count as foreigners? Maybe we've done a deal with Reading for Doyle and Hunt? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i thought the general consensu was it is Degen who Rafa was talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Vills fans where i am are going mental its brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i thought the general consensu was it is Degen who Rafa was talking about?
    Anybody know how good David Villa's english is? :D;)

If David Villa not a striker?
    If so we would need to change our system to accomodate him.
    Not really something i can see or even want to happen.
    Think the £20m+ it would take to sign him would be a lot better spent on wingers
    rather than another, albeit it top class, striker.
    Then again he may be able to play as a winger in the Ronaldo mould but i really doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rafa pretty much again informing Barry we want him, nicely done rafa, says nothing bad at all but keeps the issue alive in the public domain for maximum unsettlement. MON really shouldn't have ever commented though, just gave more credence to what the echo said. Had he kept schtum, there would never have even been an issue to blow over, it would have been just another random transfer story in the papers and treated as such, even if it was TB.

the more rafa messes villa around the less likely barry is to sign for him, thats the fact of the matter

ive no problem with barry going, once its not to liverpool

Helix wrote: »
    the more rafa messes villa around the less likely barry is to sign for him, thats the fact of the matter

How has Rafa messed Villa around, exactly?

And please don't make stuff up, can we have some concrete evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a fan thinks is pretty much irrelevent.

Mike

jesus talk about bitter :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

:confused: Why would the interaction between Benitez and Villa have any bearing on what Barry does? Like most footballers his only loyalty is to himself.

As I posted earlier in this thread, if he's in any way ambitious he should be jumping at the chance to play Champions League football which Villa won't be offering him any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Still haven't decided if I'd be happy or not with Barry. Have to say i'm not really sure about Plessis at all, he looks pretty ordinary and has a touch of the Momo's about him.
    I guess for anything 10m or less i'd be all for nabbing him but it seems unlikely...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement