Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Indeed, and I expect a lot more points to be dropped this season than last season, might see the PL revert to the days when you could lose 4-5 games and still win the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

i agree Torres should only be rested for wasy games.
    Birmingham was an easy game. or at least it should have been.

i don't think we'll have lost the league when the last few months of the season come rolling in, we've had one poor result and one average result (draws with Birmingham and Portsmouth). Far as i know we're 2 points behind Utd with a game in hand and we're still unbeaten, lets not paint it out as if we are in a crisis or anything

Meanwhile Arsenal lie 4 points ahead of you, leaving manu's position irrelovent if liverpool want to win it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Meanwhile Arsenal lie 4 points ahead of you, leaving manu's position irrelovent if liverpool want to win it this year.

agreed, my point was simply though, PHB seems to think Liverpool are slipping out of the title race, when in actual fact, we are on a similar (better?) footing to Utd, who he thinks are firmly in the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

PHB speaking through Man Utd... uh... coloured glasses? An outrageous allegation!

I don't think anyone expects Arsenal to keep up the good form for the entire season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I never said Liverpool were out of the title race. That said, I never said they were in it either :) It's not a crisis, but it shows that Rafa still hasn't learnt from his mistakes. There's still time to fix that, but you've got a tough couple of games coming up, so let's see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

agreed, my point was simply though, PHB seems to think Liverpool are slipping out of the title race, when in actual fact, we are on a similar (better?) footing to Utd, who he thinks are firmly in the title race.

Well given that Liverpool after a decent start, have managed to revert to form of previous seasons against poor opposition, whereas after a disastrous start, United are already back into it.

You only have to look at the last 16 years to see PHB's way of thinking :) Liverpool will be doing well to have an outside shout at it by christmas, but still that would be an improvement on November. (imo of course).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i say just let the lad play football and express himself and have him not worry about squad rotation. then we will get the best out of a top player... and just like van nistlerooy and henry, we might have a PL winning striker

astrofool wrote:
    Well given that Liverpool after a decent start, have managed to revert to form of previous seasons against poor opposition, whereas after a disastrous start, United are already back into it.

Gone backwards? Ya know we drew lost against Portsmouth last year in Frattan park? As did Utd. We've reverted to nothing, we had one poor result against Birmingham at Anfield-and even there we didnt lose.

I aint losing heart about this years title, i still think we'll be there or there abouts, which will be a massive improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

id be in agreement with Miller, i think we're right back in it again now. Even though its only the carling cup, it was important to get back to winning ways and more importantly, playing decent football. we did both. Torres will play this weekend and then in midweek again.

I think the whole saga surrounding him has been a little blown out of proportion, ie. using his omission last week as a sign that Liverpool are going backwards/falling into old mistakes. I think its as simple as Rafa looking at the fixture list and thinking, "hmm we do like to win cups..and the CC could be won pretty easily this year, and early too..and we're only playing Birmingham at the weekend..yeah, Torres for CC and the other lads for Brum, sure Brum are rubbish anyway." It Was a mistake, as hindsight has told us, but they happen. If anything, that issue has clouded over the much more important issue of just why did the 11 excellent players on the field not get the job done against Brum? And why did we play such pathetic nonthreatening football? THAT is imo where we could be slipping into past poor form/mistakes. Not getting the best out of the 11 guys out on the field at any particular time.

true dat^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wigan Liverpool on the box on Setanta Ireland (the free one) on Sunday morning at 11 am. Live its on Setanta Sport 1 I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah tis live on Setanta Sports 1, got my box set to record it as I'll be in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

11am !!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

...it's a repeat, the following morning.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's on live at 3pm tomorrow I believe as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Does anybody know were you can get a list of games Today FM have on Saturday afternoons...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Dub13 wrote:
    Does anybody know were you can get a list of games Today FM have on Saturday afternoons...?

You looking for a list of which games they're planning on broadcasting over the next X weeks/months or just to find out the game for the coming weekend. Never seen the former unfortunately and I've gotten the impression they don't plan their schedule very far in advance. The coming weekends game is always listed in the sports section on their www site but iirc it's often not update until close to the weekend.

I am trying to find out what games they have on for the next few weeks,its no big deal I was just thinking it would be handy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Rafa just has to start Torres tomorrow doesn't he?? I get a funny feeling that he may well be sub again.... hope to God i'm very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

From the BBC match tracker:
    Half an hour until Football Focus on BBC One. Steven Gerrard's the headline act on that today.

Wonder what they'll say?

• Advertisement

My fantasy rafa selection (not that I'd start this lot but hey)

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Aurelio
    Pennant-Gerrard-Masch-Riise
    Voronin-Crouch

Mike.

Rafa just has to start Torres tomorrow doesn't he?? I get a funny feeling that he may well be sub again.... hope to God i'm very wrong.

Yeah I want rafa to start Torres also, but I dont want a situation to develop where we are reliant on one striker for the rest of the season (ala M.Owen), Crouch and Veronin up front for me, rest the multimillion legs of torres. Liverpool should dispose of wigan without him, I'm going to be seriously worried if they dont, although wigan are turning out A LOT of 1 - 1 draws at the moment....its going to be another tough game.

I think babel will make a start also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yeah I want rafa to start Torres also, but I dont want a situation to develop where we are reliant on one striker for the rest of the season (ala M.Owen), Crouch and Veronin up front for me, rest the multimillion legs of torres. Liverpool should dispose of wigan without him, I'm going to be seriously worried if they dont, although wigan are turning out A LOT of 1 - 1 draws at the moment....its going to be another tough game.

I think babel will make a start also.

Thank you, at last someone who feels the same as me. We shouldnt be reliant on Torres to beat the likes of Wigan. He should start but i wont be too disappointed if he doesnt. Crouch/Kuyt/Voronin/Babel should be enough to see them off.

Ill take a stab at what i think his starting xi will be

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Riise
    Hyypia
    Carra
    Pennant
    Babel
    Stevie
    Mo
    Torres
    Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Gerrards on Footie Focus now.

Drawn Cardiff in the next round. Will gladly see us go out of the comp to one last Fowler goal in front of the kop

Reina, Aurelio, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Pennant, Riise, Kuyt, Torres.

Subs: Itandje, Finnan, Sissoko, Benayoun, Voronin.

Kuyt/Torres! Crouch not even on the bench.

Melion can explain this away I'm sure! :D;)

Mike.

Torres to start, excellent.!? Lets see. :)

• Advertisement

9 for fantasy rafa so. had finnan instead of aurelio and babel instead of riise.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Dub13 wrote:
    I used to work on the production staff for Premiership Live. They didn't make a definite decision on which game would be the live game until a week beforehand. But if something came up during the week that could always change. The producer of the show has left since I worked there, around 5 years ago, but I would imagine they still do it the same way.

8/11 right in Fantasy Rafa.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why isnt Finnan starting? Rafa gonna be the death of me in premierleague.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Yea is Finnan not 100% or being phased out?

It's just to get Rafa's rotation fix. Possibly saving him for the Champions League midweek as he's no longer a spring chicken?

• Advertisement

any working streams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

streams?!

0 - 0 at half time, same story as usual, wigan playing a good defensive game, well able for anything liverpool can throw at them, pennant looking like he can score more than the strikers, torres has had a little goal action.

Looking more and more like another scoreless draw.

Why oh why didnt we try to buy Elano instead of Babel? He's just the kind of player we've been missing. Terrible performance again. Torres was unlucky with a few but nothing from Kuyt and very little coming from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Why oh why didnt we try to buy Elano
    Id say there are afew Premiership managers asking themselves that question, he was fantastic today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Woeful decision for disallowed goal..

liverpool enjoying some domination now, goal benaiyon, veronoin coming on.

Some liverpool fans getting battered by wigan fans.

Liverpool, Yosi off the bench and in the goal.

Mike.

Now, Torres started and did nothing. Can we al get off Rafa's back please.

Waster wrote:
    I used to work on the production staff for Premiership Live. They didn't make a definite decision on which game would be the live game until a week beforehand. But if something came up during the week that could always change. The producer of the show has left since I worked there, around 5 years ago, but I would imagine they still do it the same way.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dub13 wrote:

that was quick, cheers :) Bit of magic and a bit of luck, what an incredible turn on the ball initially though.

? Torres has been exposed now, so I think give Raffa a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Surely Benayoun has earned a starting place by now?

i know its been said, but Torres started today and we still struggled to score, rafa doesnt deserve stick, the players do - we are not playin well, and are still there or there abouts in the league, which is good!

Gerrard hasn't played well since his exertions for England.
    Yossi is an excellent little player,starting place?
    Pennant is so annoying.
    Arbeloa is not as good at RB as he is at LB, which is unusal
    Glad to see Aurelio getting fitness back.
    Reina is the best goalie in the PL.
    Hypia is still solid.
    Mascherano has disappointed me a bit.
    Riise is still ****.
    Crouch is definately gonna be sold.
    Torres is a great player/but we cant rely on him every game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement