Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

evil_seed wrote: »
    Welcome back Sammy :D:D

+1 Liverpool legend

He had alot to do with the defensive organisation under big Sam's Bolton so could be a very good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

GBX wrote: »
    Sammy should fit in nicely with his general football experience, his past at the club and being fairly handy at spanish.

Good to see him given another chance at the game after his bolton experience.

lets not forget there is a pretty hefty fine for speaking spanish at the club....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone like to see Deco arrive if the price/wages were alright? Could complement/replace our other main creative forces, Alonso and Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Telegraph today saying that Benitez will offer cash plus Leto to Espanyol for Riera.
    Is that the same player who played for city for a while?
    Looked distinctly average from what i remember of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

"Anyone like to see Deco arrive if the price/wages were alright? Could complement/replace our other main creative forces, Alonso and Gerrard."

Nope, he's far too lightweight. And to be honest I want to see Babel in Stevie's position when he's not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

sweetie wrote: »
    Anyone like to see Deco arrive if the price/wages were alright? Could complement/replace our other main creative forces, Alonso and Gerrard.

Torres

Babel
    Deco
    Gerrard

Alonso---Mascherano

Aurelio----Carra---Agger---Arbeloa

Reina

Would all depend on how willing Gerrard would be to play in that right attacking role. Thats the only place Deco would slot in really.
    IrishMike wrote: »
    Telegraph today saying that Benitez will offer cash plus Leto to Espanyol for Riera.
    Is that the same player who played for city for a while?
    Looked distinctly average from what i remember of him

It is indeed. I really hope all these average players are nonsense paper talk and we actually sign some quality this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Tusky wrote: »
    I really hope all these average players are nonsense paper talk and we actually sign some quality this summer.

Id say thats likely.I can see some random signings.Were we linked with Babel or was it out of the blue?

dc69 wrote: »
    Id say thats likely.I can see some random signings.Were we linked with Babel or was it out of the blue?

Arsenal were strongly linked with him for a long time and then we pretty much signed him out of the blue. He wasnt our first choice though, I think we went for Malouda ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Arsenal were strongly linked with him for a long time and then we pretty much signed him out of the blue. He wasnt our first choice though, I think we went for Malouda ahead of him.

Thats exactly what I think will happen,I think this may be the year we get quaresma.Hes gona leave for a club sometime soon cause he aint getting younger,we are a big club with a need for his position.Makes sense.

The only other team I can see going for him are real madrid,they may buy him because they wont get ronaldo this year but quaresma will buy time.with the fans.

In fact madrid may buy quaresma and swap him for ronaldo plus 70million next year lol

• Advertisement

Andrei Arshavin, he has the creativity to provide us with in midfield to link the midfield with forward line.....

dc69 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I think will happen,I think this may be the year we get quaresma.Hes gona leave for a club sometime soon cause he aint getting younger,we are a big club with a need for his position.Makes sense.

The only other team I can see going for him are real madrid,they may buy him because they wont get ronaldo this year but quaresma will buy time.with the fans.

In fact madrid may buy quaresma and swap him for ronaldo plus 70million next year lol

Quaresma has said in the past that he wouldn't go to Germany because of the weather so cant see him coming to England. He doesnt seem like the type of player Rafa would go for unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,308 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

has anyone seen this

www.degendegen.com :eek:

Cyrus wrote: »
    has anyone seen this

Unfortunately, yes.

has anyone seen this

Posers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,308 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Posers :rolleyes:

thats being nice about it

looks like they have caught 'teh gheyniss'

has anyone seen this

Awesome! ;) Can't wait for the photos of him, Nando and Pepe... the new Spice Boys! Maybe the Sugaboys... thank god we have Dirk and Yossi to throw in there to stop this happening!!! :D

thats being nice about it

looks like they have caught 'teh gheyniss'

:D maybe he's trying to bring the Spice Boys back? if so, he can f*** off!

i didnt know he was only 24 though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    "Anyone like to see Deco arrive if the price/wages were alright? Could complement/replace our other main creative forces, Alonso and Gerrard."

Nope, he's far too lightweight.

I could see you not wanting him because of his age, but to call him a lightweight is silly... His mix of strength, passing range, shooting, intelligence, and his pace (losing now) was what made him one of the best midfielders for 3/4 seasons 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    I could see you not wanting him because of his age, but to call him a lightweight is silly... His mix of strength, passing range, shooting, intelligence, and his pace (losing now) was what made him one of the best midfielders for 3/4 seasons 2 years ago.

Yep but after tearing a few teams apart he'll be playing with his back to goal at pool (Stevie G's role now) and will end up getting clattered repeatedly. Maybe my opinion of him is wrong but he always seemed like a bit of a wuss, but if you tell me he's not sure you've seen a lot more of him than I have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

John Barnes/Jan Molby legends night

1)If anybody payed me for these and did not receive them in the post yet PM me,I don't think this has happened to anybody but I am just checking.

2)Anybody who opted to collect them at the door just ask for Pam, she will have your tickets.You will have to give her the reference number I gave you.

There are still a few tickets left and some may be on sale at the door so let me know if anybody wants to go at this late stage and I will see that tickets are put aside for you.

See you all tomorrow night.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yep but after tearing a few teams apart he'll be playing with his back to goal at pool (Stevie G's role now) and will end up getting clattered repeatedly. Maybe my opinion of him is wrong but he always seemed like a bit of a wuss, but if you tell me he's not sure you've seen a lot more of him than I have.

Physically he's not a wuss, but he was the valedictorian of Mourinho's school of diving so that might be why he sometimes seems physically weak.

Good video of Babels season. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1msc4WebKEE

Only has 7 goals so I assume it was made about 3/4 the way through. Whats clear is that the lad has got all the attributes to be a big success. I think alot of how well we do next year will be down to how much he improves. 10 goals is a good return for someone in his position...its the rest of him game he needs to improve. He needs to be more consistent, improve his fitness, work on his left foot and grab more assists. Heres hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

We're reportedly in talks to sign Dossena from Udinese.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=liverpool-fc-eye-swoop-for-italian-defender-andreas-dossena%26method=full%26objectid=20925661%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

He's a left back so we can assume he'll be a direct replacement for Risse. Can also assume from it that Rafa doesn't reckon Insua is up to the job just yet - unless Aurelio gets off loaded too.

Other reports overnight suggest Pennant has been told to grab the next bus out of Melwood with the funds from his sale going towards a move for Bentley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Apart from away to Villarreal on Wed 30th July, did anyone hear of any pre-season friendlies? Meant to be playing Rangers at Ibrox too but I think I'll give that one a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Andrea Dossena looks like deffo prospect if the Voice of LFC are reporting it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im another oe that would love Andrei Arshavin at the club, he looks like he'd fit in nicely, can put a great cross in to

Im another oe that would love Andrei Arshavin at the club, he looks like he'd fit in nicely, can put a great cross in to

jesus people havent stopped going on about him since the the rangers game... i hope its not like this after the european champs...

Spanish squad announced for Euro 2008 including Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso and striker Fernando Torres.

I guess with no local interest, Spain is our team this summer! :D

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Spanish squad announced for Euro 2008 including Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso and striker Fernando Torres.

Mike.

For sure...and what a team it is. I'm gonna buy the home jersey.

• Advertisement

Here is the full list, note which teams have the most players

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
    Jose Reina (Liverpool)
    Andres Palop (Sevilla)
    Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
    Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)
    Raul Albiol (Valencia)
    Carles Puyol (Barcelona)
    Carlos Marchena (Valencia)
    Fernando Navarro (Real Mallorca)
    Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool)
    Juanito (Real Betis)
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)
    Xavi (Barcelona)
    David Silva (Valencia)
    Santi Cazorla (Villarreal)
    Xabi Alonso (Liverpool)
    Ruben de la Red (Getafe)
    Marcos Senna (Villarreal)
    David Villa (Valencia)
    Daniel Guiza (Real Mallorca)
    Sergio Garcia (Real Zaragoza)
    Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Mike.

De la Red is in there, we've been linked with him nearly every summer since Owen left - i never though he would come to much. anyone know any more about him? is he still co-owned by Real?

also lets hope some of the boys can put in some good words to a few players like Silva...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Here is the full list, note which teams have the most players

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
    Jose Reina (Liverpool)
    Andres Palop (Sevilla)
    Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
    Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)
    Raul Albiol (Valencia)
    Carles Puyol (Barcelona)
    Carlos Marchena (Valencia)
    Fernando Navarro (Real Mallorca)
    Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool)
    Juanito (Real Betis)
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)
    Xavi (Barcelona)
    David Silva (Valencia)
    Santi Cazorla (Villarreal)
    Xabi Alonso (Liverpool)
    Ruben de la Red (Getafe)
    Marcos Senna (Villarreal)
    David Villa (Valencia)
    Daniel Guiza (Real Mallorca)
    Sergio Garcia (Real Zaragoza)
    Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Mike.

Suprised about Raul not included....whats the story with joaquin? Didnt see much of him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Mike.
    Jumpin on the sky sports band wagon eh mike????

only kiddin i tink i'll be joining you!!

well im hardly gonna support portugal now am i!!!!!!;)

Momo sent off for Juve against Sampdoria. he's time at juve has been like a rollercoaster especially with his two bicycle kicks :D

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Momo sent off for Juve against Sampdoria. he's time at juve has been like a rollercoaster especially with his two bicycle kicks :D

He's actually been fantastic for Juve recently, one of their most important players from what some of my Juve friends have been telling me....

Call_me_al wrote: »
    De la Red is in there, we've been linked with him nearly every summer since Owen left - i never though he would come to much. anyone know any more about him? is he still co-owned by Real?

also lets hope some of the boys can put in some good words to a few players like Silva...

Had an excellent season with Getafe this year, more than likely going to be integrated into Madrids midfield next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shamrok wrote: »
    Apart from away to Villarreal on Wed 30th July, did anyone hear of any pre-season friendlies? Meant to be playing Rangers at Ibrox too but I think I'll give that one a miss.

wrexham presumably.

Liverpool are close to completing a £13m double swoop for Italian defender Andrea Dossena and Espanyol left winger Albert Riera. (News of the World)

The Reds will also turn their attention to Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing if they fail to land Aston Villa's Gareth Barry. (News of the World)

i thought Riera was a striker, anyone know much about Dossena? Rumors that Anelka may leave in the Summer too, i would definitely take him as a back up to Torres.

American president George Bush has emrged as a key figure in Tom Hicks's plans to retain his grip on co-ownership of Liverpool. (News of the World)

and that is a disgusting piece of news, two of my least favourtie americans owning liverpool would be a nightmare.

Call_me_al dont be a silly billy! :p

Mike.

sorry Mike :D i realise all from the NotW so pinch of salt and all that...

• Advertisement

Liverpool swoop in on Kranjcar
    http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=392584

If that were true I'd not mind but not for Crouch and 7 million cash.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Mike.

No way is he worth that much

Its looking more and more like a summer of 5/6 good players instead of 2/3 quality ones:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Mike.

Considering Rafa put a 15m price tag on Crouch last week that would value Kranjcar at 22m ?? Even a more realistic 10m (give or take) for Crouch would still value him up around 17m which seems like too much imo.

I dont know much about Kranjcar. Looks good on youtube but then again, who doesnt ? 7m + Crouch seems to be an insane price. I honestly believe in todays market Crouch is worth 12-15m when you consider the prices of other English players.

Hargreaves - 17
    Carrick - 17
    Bentley - 15 ?
    Bent - 16 ?
    Dafoe - ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont know much about Kranjcar. Looks good on youtube but then again, who doesnt ? 7m + Crouch seems to be an insane price. I honestly believe in todays market Crouch is worth 12-15m when you consider the prices of other English players.

Hargreaves - 17
    Carrick - 17
    Bentley - 15 ?
    Bent - 16 ?
    Dafoe - ?

only having a year left on his contract makes a massive difference though. He can sign a pre-contract in only a few months and move on a free next summer, so pool are at a disadvantage. We HAVE to shift him, or lose him for free. Also it looks like his money will be needed to finance other sales, putting us at another disadvantage. Would be surprised if we got more then 10 or 11 for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zing wrote: »

Other reports overnight suggest Pennant has been told to grab the next bus out of Melwood with the funds from his sale going towards a move for Bentley

I'm going to cross everything in the hope this is true. I heart Bentley.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

to be honest Kranjcar and bentley on the wings would be a ****ing superb combo, feeding babel and torres with gerrard and masch killing children in the middle.

mayordenis wrote: »
    to be honest Kranjcar and bentley on the wings would be a ****ing superb combo, feeding babel and torres with gerrard and masch killing children in the middle.

I dunno if I want to see 4-4-2 being played much and I certainly don't wanna see Stevie in a central role in 4-2-3-1! I wouldn't mind either player to be honest although I do wish we were aiming higher...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I can see Rafa raiding Zaragoza now they're relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

For sure...and what a team it is. I'm gonna buy the home jersey.

Anyone know who does gold (yellow) lettering? Need to get F. Torres 9 on the back :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement