Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tusky wrote: »
    Well we have been linked with dozens of cheap player for a start. Secondly, Gerrard has come out practically begging the owners to back Rafa during the summer. Why would he do that if everything was dandy ? Thirdly, with the situation at the club I wouldn't be surprised if the owners didn't want to pump money in. Lastly, Rafa has hinted numerous times that we will have to sell to buy. This is backed up by the fact that the majority of deals we are linked with, have one of our players going the other way.

Its not gospel, but theres no smoke without fire.

As I said, every year we're linked with loads of players.
    From the ridiculous, to the sublime as the saying goes.

Remember how the papers were convinced that we were signing Eto'o last year?!

Hicks knows that if he wants to stay, he has to back Benitez.
    He knows this.
    He's told us this.
    He's told Rafa this.
    (Now don't get me wrong, I don't trust Hicks as far as I could throw him, but if he stays, then his position is untenable unless he does).
    If Hicks goes, then DIC will be willing to spare Rafa a few coppers!!!

Gerrard is throwing his full support behind Rafa.
    As he should.
    With all the doubts behind his managers future, why would he not.
    He's the captain.
    It's his job!

And as for the idea that all of our transfers involved players going the other way.
    That was one transfer!
    With a team that already had the player on loan.

As for the Portsmout Krancjaer one that valued Crouch at £3,000,000.
    Come on!!!

What it comes down to is that nobody knows how much we have, and you can be as pesimistic as you want, but to say that Degan and possibly Barry are stupid accuisitions "because" we have so little money is just stupid.

If it turns out we have no money, then yes.
    Untill then, IRWT!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Darby wont make the step up at Liverpool imo, he is very limited player, the reason he is captain and in the under 20 team is due to his determination and grit a la Carragher. but he isnt the fastest and his technical skills arent really up there. Insua is a class ahead of him when i have watched the reserves.

i do hope i am proved wrong though.

absolutely agreed about Darby. Solid player but overhyped because he's local. There should be a semi clear out of the reserves this summer imo. Darby and Spearing should go on loan a la Guthrie. They'll never make the first team here, but we may be able to sell them on.
    Brouwer, Putterill, El Zhar, Hammill, Lindfield and Hobbs will probably be moved on.
    There are some very talented Under 18 players waiting to make the move up to the Reserves - Irwin (really high hopes for him), Makay-Stevens, Adjarevic, Amoo, Pourie and Ecclestone. Along with Bruna, Pacheco (the best of them all) and Ayala they'll make a very young and exciting Reserve side for next season.

Bouzanis

Irwin
    Huth
    San Jose
    Ayala

Duran
    Flynn

Amoo
    Pacheco
    Bruna

Simon/Ecclestone

Edit: Adjarevic is apparantly looking for a new club. Gutted, thought he would make it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As I said, every year we're linked with loads of players.
    From the ridiculous, to the sublime as the sating goes.

Remember how the papers were convinced that we were signing Eto'o last year?!

Hicks knows that if he wants to stay, he has to back Benitez.
    He knows this.
    He's told us this.
    He's told Rafa this.
    (Now don't get me wrong, I don't trust Hicks as far as I could throw him, if he stays, then his position is untenable unless he does).
    If Hicks goes, then DIC will be willing to spare Rafa a few coppers!!!

Gerrard is throwing his full support behind Rafa.
    As he should.
    With all the doubts behind his future, why would he not.
    He's the captain.
    It's his job!

And as for the idea that all of our transfers involved players going the other way.
    That was one transfer!
    With a team that already had the player on loan.

As for the Portsmout Krancjaer one that valued Crouch at £3,000,000.
    Come on!!!

What it omes down to is, that nobody knows how much we have, and we can be as pesimistic as you want, but to say that Degan and possibly Barry are a stupid accuisition "because" we have so little money is just stupid.
    If it turns out we have no money, then yes.
    Untill then, IRWT!;)

If we sign great players in positions that are more needy than CM then the Barry transfer wont look so odd. I just cant see us signing a quality first choice right winger, a couple of strikers, a backup left winger, a quality first choice left back and a back up goal keeper. They are all positions that need additions more than CM.

15m best spent somewhere else. Add a few million to it and we could get Villa, Silva, Quersma or Lahm. Someone of real quality in positions we are weak!

Blah, wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Blah, wait and see I suppose.

That's just it really.

We're all just speculating, guessing, and hoping!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Edit: Adjarevic is apparantly looking for a new club. Gutted, thought he would make it here.
    Same here - have been very impressed with him anytime I've seen him play. Really hope it's not true and he makes the move to Melwood over the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Looks like Pompey have stolen a march in regards to getting Zarate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/7400878.stm

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He oozes class. Just because Alex McLeish didn't always use him doesn't mean Rafa shouldn't buy him. He would give us something none of our other forwards have - that extra bit of guile we've been missing for about 10 years

Yeah...but put things in perspective. The club he is contracted to are talking silly money for him....started off as 10mil and then rising to quotes of 20mil.

And compare him to one of his team-mates, McFadden, he scored a few goals and only cost Birmingham 2 mil and a bag of Tesco seedless grapes (or something like that). Some might say he 'oozes' class (although he's a dirty blue) and would be alot cheaper....although doesnt have nice hair.

Or you could look at the likes of Santa Cruz for just under the 10mil mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yeah...but put things in perspective. The club he is contracted to are talking silly money for him....started off as 10mil and then rising to quotes of 20mil.

And compare him to one of his team-mates, McFadden, he scored a few goals and only cost Birmingham 2 mil and a bag of Tesco seedless grapes (or something like that). Some might say he 'oozes' class (although he's a dirty blue) and would be alot cheaper....although doesnt have nice hair.

Or you could look at the likes of Santa Cruz for just under the 10mil mark

Zarate will go for 8-12m i guarantee you. they are not looking for 20m anymore even his agent said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

redspider wrote: »
    Hobson's Choice was used in its colloqually common, yet incorrect usage form.

Hobson's choice is often misused not to mean a false illusion of choice but simply a choice between two undesirable options.

The CL final can more aptly be described as a Morton's Fork, or even a Buridan's Ass.

I know what plenty of us would like to call it!
    Whatever the outcome it will not be very palatable ......

Redspider

I feel smart in that I instantly recognized what a Hobson's choice was and why you had used it. Guess those four years of a University education were good for something. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On Degen, seriously lads, stop mentioning the "Chelsea paying 16mill for Bosingwa" thing. There's a massive difference. A) Chelsea have unlimited spending power. B) Thats their only real problem position until anybody leaves.

For our RB problem, there were 2 real options - Prioritise it and buy a top top class player like alves for top dollar, or do what we've done, add much needed depth so that we're comfortable in the position, can make a profit when we sell on Degen and upgrade next year or the year after. He's also a different option, a very attack minded RB who can change those games where we're doing all the attacking. Lets the wingers go inside more to help break down a bus-type defence.

Been thinking about Ballague's prediction. He's often pretty right, though usually has a few aspects wrong (or else things just dont work out in practise), but here's some possibilities, if all the players bought became first teamers;

Reina
    Degen--Carra--Agger--Dossena
    \/
    Masch
    \/
    \/
    Alonso
    \/
    \/--Gerrard
    Barry---\/
    ?????/Babel
    Torres
    with the 3 attacks behind Torres all shifting position.

or a less likely but still potential
    Reina
    ---Skrtel--Carra--Agger
    Masch
    Degen----Alonso----Dossena
    ----Gerrard
    Barry
    Torres

I dont see this happening tbh with Gerrards form last year behind Torres, but you know Rafa, always we are looking for options, no?

I'd still be happy with Dossena, Degen, Silva and another player who could play both WF and CF effectively.

The summer and all the permutations hurts my brain though. Its important to remember that Rafa's not an idiot and if he makes a move, its for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

joker77 wrote: »
    F*cking ridiculous statement - what age are you - 12?

Well maybe its just me then but ive grown up in a era where man utd was the team EVERYONE supported. So many times down through the years ive seen united get one over/do better than Liverpool all the while these "sunny day" supporters feel the need to slag and slate your team.

Perfect example was last year. Was watching the Champions League Final in the pub. Decent amount of pool fans. What happens when we lost the match? They put on glory glory man united and people who I know dont really have an interest in football start singing along.

So much slagging year after year from united fans one grows to hate the team. I Love Liverpool and I just cant fathom how ANYONE who loves Liverpool would prefer Manchester United to win over Chelsea and im pretty sure most scouse liverpool fans would agree.

Yes I dont like chelsea....but damn if I ever heard a liverpool fan say theyd support United Id seriously question their love of Liverpool. But yeah yeah im 12 stupid comment etc etc. I cant help the way I feel with regards to the Liverpool/Man U rivalry. I hate them simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    On Degen, seriously lads, stop mentioning the "Chelsea paying 16mill for Bosingwa" thing. There's a massive difference. A) Chelsea have unlimited spending power. B) Thats their only real problem position until anybody leaves.

For our RB problem, there were 2 real options - Prioritise it and buy a top top class player like alves for top dollar, or do what we've done, add much needed depth so that we're comfortable in the position, can make a profit when we sell on Degen and upgrade next year or the year after. He's also a different option, a very attack minded RB who can change those games where we're doing all the attacking. Lets the wingers go inside more to help break down a bus-type defence.

Been thinking about Ballague's prediction. He's often pretty right, though usually has a few aspects wrong (or else things just dont work out in practise), but here's some possibilities, if all the players bought became first teamers;

Reina
    Degen--Carra--Agger--Dossena
    \/
    Masch
    \/
    \/
    Alonso
    \/
    \/--Gerrard
    Barry---\/
    ?????/Babel
    Torres
    with the 3 attacks behind Torres all shifting position.

or a less likely but still potential
    Reina
    ---Skrtel--Carra--Agger
    Masch
    Degen----Alonso----Dossena
    ----Gerrard
    Barry
    Torres

I dont see this happening tbh with Gerrards form last year behind Torres, but you know Rafa, always we are looking for options, no?

I'd still be happy with Dossena, Degen, Silva and another player who could play both WF and CF effectively.

The summer and all the permutations hurts my brain though. Its important to remember that Rafa's not an idiot and if he makes a move, its for a reason.

Im sorry but Degen will not, or more accurately, should not become a first choice especially if its at the expensive of Skrtel. Oddly enough, I have seen quite a bit of Borussia Dortmund this year - I happened to make friends with a German guy from Dortmund and he's rigged his satellite to somehow get most German matches so Ive seen Dortmund play maybe 15 times this year. They really are a poor team to watch by the way but Degen is, well, unimpressive. He's not a bad player, he's just alright from what Ive seen but he's certainly not an upgrade on your current back 4 options. Leave Carragher at right back - it would be absolute lunacy to exclude Skrtel just to accomodate Degen. This isnt Degen-bashing, its more pro-Skrtel than anything. I also really strongly disagree with the 'buy him then sell him for profit' way of things. Despite the fact Liverpool lost a place in the league compared to last year, ye are obviously gaining confidence - this is mainly down to the signing of Torres in my opinion, he does a lot more than just score goals, he is great for morale - so now was the perfect time to bring in another big player and Daniel Alves was just that player imo. Desperate to quit Sevilla and although Barcelona is his favoured destination, test him with a nice contract and the guarantee of first team football, champions league action, etc. It probably wasnt your major problem area to fill, but you still needed a world class right back, and a player like Daniel Alves does not come along every day, especially one who wants to leave his current club and who WILL leave his current club this summer.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Im sorry but Degen will not, or more accurately, should not become a first choice especially if its at the expensive of Skrtel. Oddly enough, I have seen quite a bit of Borussia Dortmund this year - I happened to make friends with a German guy from Dortmund and he's rigged his satellite to somehow get most German matches so Ive seen Dortmund play maybe 15 times this year. They really are a poor team to watch by the way but Degen is, well, unimpressive. He's not a bad player, he's just alright from what Ive seen but he's certainly not an upgrade on your current back 4 options. Leave Carragher at right back - it would be absolute lunacy to exclude Skrtel just to accomodate Degen. This isnt Degen-bashing, its more pro-Skrtel than anything. I also really strongly disagree with the 'buy him then sell him for profit' way of things. Despite the fact Liverpool lost a place in the league compared to last year, ye are obviously gaining confidence - this is mainly down to the signing of Torres in my opinion, he does a lot more than just score goals, he is great for morale - so now was the perfect time to bring in another big player and Daniel Alves was just that player imo. Desperate to quit Sevilla and although Barcelona is his favoured destination, test him with a nice contract and the guarantee of first team football, champions league action, etc. It probably wasnt your major problem area to fill, but you still needed a world class right back, and a player like Daniel Alves does not come along every day, especially one who wants to leave his current club and who WILL leave his current club this summer.

Oh I dont think he'll be first choice, nor do i want him to be (unless he impress's in his chances obviously), was just putting up things to show how the team could change based on Ballague's information. I really dont know about Carra at RB though, he's fine, but all his strong qualities are a bit wasted there. Though i do agree the future is Skrtel and Agger at CB. Think this year will have all 3 of them playing in the CB positions regularly with Carra being the most common fixture there and the other two swapping in an out based on fitness, rotation etc etc.

I also agree on the big signing thing, but i just dont think it should be a full back that gets most of our money. Someone like Silva would create just as much buzz and add to the all important final 3rd for us. Our defence is fairly decent as it is with Aurelio, 2 from the CB 3 and Arbeloa/Finnan, but we really really need a dangerous winger/wingforward. Its just an awful pity that the powers that be didn't listen to Rafa when he was twice very close to landing Alves before his stock rose.

IMO to challenge, a world class full back is a luxury while a world class winger is a necessity. All about priorities.

Having said all that, id prefer to not go for Barry or Dossena and instead be able to field this;

Reina
    Alves--Carra--Agger--Aurelio/Insua/Arbeloa
    Masch--Alonso
    ---Silva----Gerrard---Babel
    Torres

Now THAT looks tasty!

Could be created for about 30/35mill. Would leave us a bit short up front, but christ! Kuyt and Nemeth mightn't be bad cover options. That team has a lot of non striker goals in it too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

IMO to challenge, a world class full back is a luxury while a world class winger is a necessity. All about priorities.

Thats why I think Dani Alves would have been the smart buy - he's both rolled into one player ;)

Archimedes wrote: »
    Thats why I think Dani Alves would have been the smart buy - he's both rolled into one player ;)

Ach its depressing and head wrecking, theres so many decent permutations. for instance we could do as you say and get Alves as the main buy, and considering he adds to much to the attack, buy a younger winger/wing forward like Dos Santos for a rumoured 8million pounds, which is a pretty tasty right hand side in itself and still maybe have enough for a backup striker or left full back.

Ach its depressing and head wrecking, theres so many decent permutations. for instance we could do as you say and get Alves as the main buy, and considering he adds to much to the attack, buy a younger winger/wing forward like Dos Santos for a rumoured 8million pounds, which is a pretty tasty right hand side in itself and still maybe have enough for a backup striker or left full back.

Or how about we just dont buy Barry and use that money on a full back ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

joe123 wrote: »
    Well maybe its just me then but ive grown up in a era where man utd was the team EVERYONE supported. So many times down through the years ive seen united get one over/do better than Liverpool all the while these "sunny day" supporters feel the need to slag and slate your team.

Perfect example was last year. Was watching the Champions League Final in the pub. Decent amount of pool fans. What happens when we lost the match? They put on glory glory man united and people who I know dont really have an interest in football start singing along.

So much slagging year after year from united fans one grows to hate the team. I Love Liverpool and I just cant fathom how ANYONE who loves Liverpool would prefer Manchester United to win over Chelsea and im pretty sure most scouse liverpool fans would agree.

Yes I dont like chelsea....but damn if I ever heard a liverpool fan say theyd support United Id seriously question their love of Liverpool. But yeah yeah im 12 stupid comment etc etc. I cant help the way I feel with regards to the Liverpool/Man U rivalry. I hate them simple as.
    Build a bridge, and get over it

thats what i mean, that we just get degen which has been done and then Alves, Dos Santos and a decent backup striker or fullback (with a cheap/free for whichever we dont spend money on).

I'd say Alves will cost 20mill+, Dos Santos rumoured at 8-10 which is our usual 30mill budget used up. Depending on how much extra we get from sales generosity of owners we sort out the LB and striker positions to the best of our ability. Personally i'd cancel the Barry bid pretty much no matter what we're doing, unless Alonso is going.

thats what i mean, that we just get degen which has been done and then Alves, Dos Santos and a decent backup striker or fullback (with a cheap/free for whichever we dont spend money on).

I'd say Alves will cost 20mill+, Dos Santos rumoured at 8-10 which is our usual 30mill budget used up. Depending on how much extra we get from sales generosity of owners we sort out the LB and striker positions to the best of our ability. Personally i'd cancel the Barry bid pretty much no matter what we're doing, unless Alonso is going.

Why would we get Degen AND Alves ? That would leave us with 4 right backs.

Why would we get Degen AND Alves ? That would leave us with 4 right backs.

dont particularly want degen, but its done so we gotta live with it. would still love alves (obviously not gonna happen now though). we can donate Degen to charity or something ;) Im sure Rafa could make use of a surpluss player somehow.

Rafa; Phillip?
    Degen; Yes gaffer?
    Rafa; Go to my house and read to my wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Rafa; Phillip?
    Degen; Yes gaffer?
    Rafa; Go to my house and read to my wife.

:D

LOL

is 8m not enough to spend on a left back?

is 8m not enough to spend on a left back?

Yeah it is, Id rather spend 8-10m on a right back as well as the 8m on the left back though. You'd still have money left over from the Barry transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

any link to this left back we are/have signing/signed for 8m??:confused:

Bit worrying that noone has heard of him, hes 26 and isnt in the Italian Euro 2008 team BUT Ive been pessimistic enough today so I'll keep my mouth shut!

Yeah it is, Id rather spend 8-10m on a right back as well as the 8m on the left back though. You'd still have money left over from the Barry transfer.

well Rafa obviously has faith in Arbeloa or he would obviously have prioritised it. i just cant understand how you keep going on about this. clearly for Rafa Arbeloa is up to the job of being our starting right back, and i would even say he is one of the best right backs in the league. So if Rafa is happy with this why would he spend 8-10m on a right back who would be arbeloas back up.

If Dossena does come we will have:

Right Back: Arbeloa, Degen, Finnan, (reserve player)
    Left Back: Dossena, Arbeloa, Auriello, Insua

I would be happy with that especially considering United won the league with Wes Brown as their right back. also considering Brown has signed a contract larger than the 50,000 per week one he rejected a few months ago, i dont see united buying a new right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Right Back: Arbeloa, Degen, Finnan, (reserve player)
    Left Back: Dossena, Arbeloa, Auriello, Insua

Not much difference but I don't see Arbeloa playing left back next season at all thus leaving an even 3 in each position.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Degen is an Offensive player right?? Well I think Rafa might deploy him on the right mid a few times in preseason to see how he does there as backup aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i dont understand how people can be that annoyed with a free transfer .

Voronin was free.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I agree with whats being said about d final tommorrow, I really want both teams to lose, but I think Chelsea is the lesser of the 2 evils, as a Liverpool supporter i could never wish for United to win, imagine Rio, Ronaldo, gary neville etc lifting big ears, no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

I agree with whats being said about d final tommorrow, I really want both teams to lose, but I think Chelsea is the lesser of the 2 evils, as a Liverpool supporter i could never wish for United to win, imagine Rio, Ronaldo, gary neville etc lifting big ears, no thanks!

You don't have to imagine it, cos it will happen! :D
    Tune tmw night around 9.45pm for celebration time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've hired a Ruskie crop duster to drop a big can of fast acting aids into the stadium on the 20 min mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'll be hoping for a Chelsea win. No doubt in my mind. Lesser of two evils as I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Tusky Bit worrying that noone has heard of him, hes 26 and isnt in the Italian Euro 2008 team BUT Ive been pessimistic enough today so I'll keep my mouth shut!

Couldnt leave this alone

Much more downbeat about this transfer now - He only has one cap for Italy a friendly against South Africa . Had a look at who was ahead of him in the pecking order in the squad, seeing as he's apparently so highly rated. (Also for fantasy football purposes)

Grosso - fair enough - decent player - rate him
    Zambrotto - also a decent player - pushing on but rate him
    Max Tonetto - never heard of him - 33 - one cap for Italy - More of a left winger than left back, but listed as a defender in the squad.
    Manuel Pasqual - also never heard of him - 26 - two caps for Italy - doesnt exactly look superb.

Bit worried if he cant make the squad ahead of the last two tbh, especially if he has had such a good season. £8m looking sorta pricey for him.

Just going to have trust Rafa's judgement on this.

Regarding Lucas, there seems to be some sort of indication that he might be moving. Can anyone cast any light on this?

Fair enough he didnt have a super season, but I thought he definately was up to the part of a squad player along with the fact of his pedigree and his age, along with the fact that I think he is type of player who would need time to settle into the Premiership, that he wouldnt be going anywhere. Would be disappointed if he werent at the least given another season. A lot of other players in the squad i'd move on before him.

• Advertisement

Couldnt leave this alone

Much more downbeat about this transfer now - He only has one cap for Italy a friendly against South Africa . Had a look at who was ahead of him in the pecking order in the squad, seeing as he's apparently so highly rated. (Also for fantasy football purposes)

Grosso - fair enough - decent player - rate him
    Zambrotto - also a decent player - pushing on but rate him
    Max Tonetto - never heard of him - 33 - one cap for Italy - More of a left winger than left back, but listed as a defender in the squad.
    Manuel Pasqual - also never heard of him - 26 - two caps for Italy - doesnt exactly look superb.

Bit worried if he cant make the squad ahead of the last two tbh, especially if he has had such a good season. £8m looking sorta pricey for him.

Just going to have trust Rafa's judgement on this.

Regarding Lucas, there seems to be some sort of indication that he might be moving. Can anyone cast any light on this?

Fair enough he didnt have a super season, but I thought he definately was up to the part of a squad player along with the fact of his pedigree and his age, along with the fact that I think he is type of player who would need time to settle into the Premiership, that he wouldnt be going anywhere. Would be disappointed if he werent at the least given another season. A lot of other players in the squad i'd move on before him.

Re: Lucas, it has all stemmed from a report from an Italian website that we are signing a Slovakian midfielder (cant remember his name) from Napoli (I think) for 16m euro + Voronin + Lucas.

The website is supposed to be fairly reliable and the guy is very highly rated. Its most likely a load of crap though. Part of it could be people trying to make sense of the Barry transfer also.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I've hired a Ruskie crop duster to drop a big can of fast acting aids into the stadium on the 20 min mark.

And there u go, just like that idiot that hit Phil Neville on TV, or the fool who threw HIS phone (with all his details on it to identify him) at Wayne Rooney, u now left behind a trail of evidence that will work against u!! go ahead and edit, my quoting u means u will be caught!! Say hi to Joey barton in jail for me!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D

Only messin, however, just do what i did and dont watch the match? if it were Liverpool vs Chelsea, i just wouldnt watch it, Id just go on holiday, like Mr Alan has done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just regarding Lucas:

A lot of people here have been saying how he will never be more than a squad player for us. I've said it before but some of them need to start realising he hasn't had a break from football in over 18 months. He had no break last summer like the majority of premiership footballers as he was involved with Gremio into late July and then was straight into first team training with us. Gamst Pedersen was the exact same when he signed for Blackburn, looked tired when he signed that January until the end of the season but exploded last season (06/07) and looked brilliant.

Lucas definitely needs another year and Rafa needs to settle on a position for him, he looks to be a ready made replacement for Alonso IMO, typical brazilian who always looks for the ball and plays it simple unlike someone like Stevie who will give it away a lot during a game trying hollywood passes.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Zaragoza got relegated at the weekend there, reckon Benitez will be in for a few of their players? (millito, Aimar at the top of my head)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont think he'll go in for players just because Zaragoza were relegated. We have no need for Aimar as his best position is behind a striker and i dont think Rafa is going to push Stevie out to the right again just to accomodate Stevie. I think Milito would be great to have as backup for Torres, if not him then Sergio Garcia would be another brilliant player for us. And if we are signing a midfielder id much rather Zapater to Gareth Barry, great midfielder and would be brilliant to have as backup for Masch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can't believe all the pessimism.

Right-back is literally the least important position on the football field. It is currently filled by Steve Finnan, who has been consistantly one of the league's best fullbacks for years, and Arbeloa, who has rarely put a foot wrong for us, and is going to the European Championship with Spain.

If Rafa went out and spent 16 million on the likes of Bosingwa (who members of the portugeuse press rate less than Paulo Ferrera), we'd have less money to sort out our real problem positions: left-back and attacking midfield.

Rafa seems to be sorting out left-back, and 8 million is not an inconsequential amount for a full-back. For Rafa to spend that much on one, you'd have to believe it's for a reason. Rafa is one of the most frugal managers in the market, so lets be positive!

We don't know how much money is in the kitty. That's a good thing, because if we know, so do the clubs we're trying to do business with. Two of our biggest transfers, Lucas and Babel, were done so discreetly we almost didn't know anything until they were in front of the cameras beside Rafa. Let's have a little faith.

If, come August, we haven't brought in decent signings, then we can be pessimistic.

Regarding Aimar: We were supposedly in for him before he moved to Zaragoza. I'd like to see him at Liverpool, he'd be perfect for the system. He's still young enough, though he may be a little lightweight. Our new Louis Garcia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Melion wrote: »
    Just regarding Lucas:

A lot of people here have been saying how he will never be more than a squad player for us. I've said it before but some of them need to start realising he hasn't had a break from football in over 18 months. He had no break last summer like the majority of premiership footballers as he was involved with Gremio into late July and then was straight into first team training with us. Gamst Pedersen was the exact same when he signed for Blackburn, looked tired when he signed that January until the end of the season but exploded last season (06/07) and looked brilliant.

Lucas definitely needs another year and Rafa needs to settle on a position for him, he looks to be a ready made replacement for Alonso IMO, typical brazilian who always looks for the ball and plays it simple unlike someone like Stevie who will give it away a lot during a game trying hollywood passes.

Just my 2c

Lucas is heading to the olympics, what break is he going to get?
    I dont rate the lad at all, think he is poor to be honest.

This mornings transfer rumours :
    West Ham boss Alan Curbishley is ready to sell Dean Ashton and Anton Ferdinand in a bid to fund moves for Everton striker Andrew Johnson and Newcastle defender Steven Taylor. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson wants to bring back old boy Steve Finnan from Liverpool, who are believed to be willing to sell him for £2m. (Daily Mirror)

Tottenham manager Juande Ramos has targeted Real Zaragoza's £10m-rated striker Diego Milito after failing with an audacious bid to land Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has lined up former France goalkeeper and long-serving Bordeaux number one Ulrich Rame to act as cover for Pepe Reina. (Daily Mail)

Liverpool are also interested in 20-year-old Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik and Espanyol's £6m-rated winger Albert Riera. (Daily Mail and The Sun)

Wigan winger Luis Antonio Valencia will snub interest from Manchester United and Liverpool to stay with the Lancashire club for another season. (Various)

Militio and Ashton both up for sale
    Id gladly take either of them as our backup striker and 10m is pretty reasonable.
    Also looks like our #2 keeper problem could be solved.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Lucas is heading to the olympics, what break is he going to get?
    I dont rate the lad at all, think he is poor to be honest.

i dont think you could call him poor. i would like for him to be given another season, although if he goes to the Olympics that wont help. i still expect big things from him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Re: Lucas, it has all stemmed from a report from an Italian website that we are signing a Slovakian midfielder (cant remember his name) from Napoli (I think) for 16m euro + Voronin + Lucas.

Player was Hamsik and yesterday he pretty much rubbished those reports.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3590610,00.html

tbh I can't see Rafa letting Lucas go that easily. Maybe a years loan but would be very surprised to see him sold.

He has played 18 times this season, thought he done ok in St James park i think it was
    and after that every time i have seen him he has been extremely poor.
    Needs far too much time on the ball, constantly passes the ball backwards and slows
    the game down to a crawl.
    Honestly dont see what people on this forum see in the man besides the fact that he is brazilian.
    He doesnt have the range of passing, speed of execution or the vision to be a success in the premiership.
    He is like the Liverpool version of Darren Fletcher, dodgy squad player and miles off the
    quality of whatever first team player he replaces.
    He is not proper competition for Alonso which is badly needed

He has played 18 times this season, thought he done ok in St James park i think it was
    Needs far too much time on the ball, constantly passes the ball backwards and slows
    Honestly dont see what people on this forum see in the man besides the fact that he is brazilian.
    He doesnt have the range of passing, speed of execution or the vision to be a success in the premiership.
    He is like the Liverpool version of Darren Fletcher, dodgy squad player and miles off the

em well thank god your not the manager, eh? Ronaldo took three seasons to fully adjust to the Prem, season 1 he was utterly useless. Players, especially young and foreign ones, need time to adjust to the prem. Give Lucas time and he will be in our starting eleven.

Not just any body wins the Bola de Ouro....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont agree at all, have been impressed with him myself, decent engine, keeps the ball moving and has an eye for a forward pass, will take him time to fully adjust to the EPL but definately one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

em well thank god your not the manager, eh? Ronaldo took three seasons to fully adjust to the Prem, season 1 he was utterly useless. Players, especially young and foreign ones, need time to adjust to the prem. Give Lucas time and he will be in our starting eleven.

Not just any body wins the Bola de Ouro....

I agree, give the guy bit of a break, I think off loading him now would be a rash decision. The manager obviously sees that he has good potential or he wouldn't have persisted with him. Not everyone hits the ground running in the Torres way. And if Alonso was playing a bit better, with more confidence, it would do Lucas no harm at all to help him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

don'tknow if this was posted but heres another youth liverpool have been linked to:
    Grenoble youngster Sofiane Feghouli has admitted he is flattered to be linked with a move to Liverpool.

The 18-year-old is regarded as one of the best young players in France after helping Grenoble win promotion to Ligue 1 this season.

Scouts from a host of clubs have watched Feghouli in action this season and Grenoble are bracing themselves for a fight to keep hold of their prize asset.

Ajax are also thought to be interested in Feghouli, but the teenager believes he is too young to move abroad.

"The interest of those great clubs is flattering. But my priority is to go on to improve in France, above all at Grenoble," Feghouli told L'Equipe.

"I try to keep level-headed. For the moment, the best is to stay here. Only an offer from a big Ligue 1 club could make me think about (leaving)."
    Grenoble youngster Sofiane Feghouli has admitted he is flattered to be linked with a move to Liverpool.

The 18-year-old is regarded as one of the best young players in France after helping Grenoble win promotion to Ligue 1 this season.

Scouts from a host of clubs have watched Feghouli in action this season and Grenoble are bracing themselves for a fight to keep hold of their prize asset.

Ajax are also thought to be interested in Feghouli, but the teenager believes he is too young to move abroad.

"The interest of those great clubs is flattering. But my priority is to go on to improve in France, above all at Grenoble," Feghouli told L'Equipe.

"I try to keep level-headed. For the moment, the best is to stay here. Only an offer from a big Ligue 1 club could make me think about (leaving)."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3590027,00.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement