Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i don't know what the rubbish is above about torres being 'exposed' or 'did nothing'.

He could have had 5 or 6, he didn't finish at all well but we created a pile of chances with him in the side unlike the last two premier league games.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

copacetic wrote:
    i don't know what the rubbish is above about torres being 'exposed' or 'did nothing'.
    Agreed, however, I think the overhead kick especially he had time to take it down rather than try the spectacular. Of course no one would be complaining if it went in, but he had loads of room. Rafa didn't look impressed after that chance. Wigan defended very deep for most of the game, he should get more room in the next few games if he starts, Marseille, Spurs, Everton and Arsenal (and probably Besiktas in there somewhere as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Torres worked his socks off out there today. Had a good day and on a better could have had 2 or 3. How bout giving him a break. Good to see Yossi get another goal, first touch was amazing. I feel Kuyt and Gerrard had rough games. Not bad, just I'd say they went home unhappy with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity that Alonso is out, Gerrard really needs resting I think. I guess a Lucas/Yossi MF would be a bit risky! Unless you put Sissoko behind.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Sissoko
    Pennant--Lucas--Aurelio
    Yossi
    Striker

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

^Are you pulling a rafa by not guaranteeing Torres a starting place? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Very lucky to come away with the win, shocking ref decisions went in our favour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im just glad we won today. It just shows that Torres is great but he wont win us games on his own which is the impression i was getting from people on here over the last week.

Two 'offsides' given which were'nt technically, that bloody active/non-active nonsense has to end in my view. Torres will have to learn to be less greedy, he could have nodded down to Gerrard for the opening goal but went for the overhead.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

copacetic wrote:

He could have had 5 or 6, he didn't finish at all well but we created a pile of chances with him in the side unlike the last two premier league games.

LOL He could have had 5 - 6 !! How many chance did he have in the last couple of games.... plenty...how many does he need?? he has been exposed. He had one clear cut chance where all he had to do is lob the keeper - he had plenty of time to think about it but ran straight into him and the defender, and looked totally asleep, what an absolute joke of a performance. Should have had an experianced player like crouch up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Crouch above Torres? Seriously?

Seriously what! even belamy managed to get two past them last year, they are not that good, we gave them way to much respect today. If peter crouch was up front with veronin I would have expected at least 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Except, Crouch's link up play would have meant those chances wouldn't probably have happened. Also, since when is Crouch not ****ing woeful at taking chances? Jesus christ, the amount of chances he missed last year was unreal.

Seriously what! even belamy managed to get two past them last year, they are not that good, we gave them way to much respect today. If peter crouch was up front with veronin I would have expected at least 3.
    So because Torres didn't score today he isn't as good as Crouch? Do you think before you post much?

V+C actually have had good link ups this season, one creating space for the other. I dont know why Kuyt was playing either, he has a fantastic work rate, but I really think he should know where he's going, left or right, middle, front or back!!! Its crazy. We're never going to win the league with these performances and this manager.

There I said it.

DSB wrote:
    So because Torres didn't score today he isn't as good as Crouch? Do you think before you post much?

And you think because he scored two against derby he should be in every game.. Whatever

• Advertisement

No, I think because of how he plays in general he should start every game. Liverpool are a better team with him in the team. He might not score in every game, but he gets in the positions to score and his link up play is top class. He also makes Liverpool interesting to watch which is always good.

I totally disagree. He is the reason we are seeing clubs put out their stalls in such a defensive way, liverpool look terrible, we see bursts of passing but so much long ball play! have you been watching the games. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's the best striker at the club, end of. No player will score in every game but I'd guarentee he be top scorer at the club give equal playing time (proper playing time, not the last 10 mins of every game). I'm a firm believer of play your strongest team unless injury/suspension means you cant.

I think Mascherano is a bit of a problem for the league in that we dont really need him. In games like Wigan where they dont offer much going forward we dont really need a holding player who offers little going forward himself, He spent chunks of the match pretty much sitting around waiting for something to happen, but it never does because Wigan dont get forward. Games like this are made for Gerrard and another attack CM to play together as both can bomb on and creat havok, not haveing to really worry about defending.

He is the reason we are seeing clubs put out their stalls in such a defensive way, liverpool look terrible, we see bursts of passing but so much long ball play!

Wait, let's break this down, first, Torres is the reason that other teams are playing defensive? Wouldn't that suggest that they are perhaps scared of him? If you play Crouch, they aren't scared of him, so they push up? Even if that happens, it don't matter, cause Crouch will miss them, just like last season.

As for the second thing, Liverpool have been playing a shocking amount of long balls for about 2 years, and if anything, Crouch only makes that happen more because of his height, and Torres certainly reduces it.

Wow, just saw the highlights, shocking reffing decisions

I not saying he's a bad player, I dont think he's as good as people make out, I want liverpool to do well, I dont think torres is 100% yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I totally disagree. He is the reason we are seeing clubs put out their stalls in such a defensive way

Hang on a second. Twice this year we've suffered and dropped 2 points from teams putting out a defensive unit. Neither of those did Torres start.

Crouch has been absolutely rubbish this season so far. I really cant see how you think he would do better up there, especially against a block defence. He's pretty much completely immobile. Crouch and torres together, i wouldnt have much of a problem with (tho wouldnt be my choice, with crouch's poor form) but Crouch INSTEAD of Torres? Nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The last number of games really show just how important Alonso is to Liverpool, I really hope he's back in time for the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The last number of games really show just how important Alonso is to Liverpool, I really hope he's back in time for the Arsenal game.
    finally someone said it.

LOL He could have had 5 - 6 !! How many chance did he have in the last couple of games.... plenty...how many does he need?? he has been exposed. He had one clear cut chance where all he had to do is lob the keeper - he had plenty of time to think about it but ran straight into him and the defender, and looked totally asleep, what an absolute joke of a performance. Should have had an experianced player like crouch up there.

I swear to god that has to be one of the most idiotic posts i have ever seen on Boards, and that is saying something. Exposed? You must be joking, Ronnie did a lovely video piece last night on the premiership which showed the difference between us with him and without him. Including the great run off the ball which left the space for us to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

copacetic wrote:
    I swear to god that has to be one of the most idiotic posts i have ever seen on Boards, and that is saying something.
    I agree. I saw it last night and figured it had to be a troll until the poster was backing up their view. Now everyone is entitled to their opinion but Crouch v Torres is no contest!
    Did anyone else see Crouch's header near the end of the Birmingham game? He rose majestically above the defence, eyes on the ball, before arching his neck downwards sending the ball high over the bar. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Rafa signs another midfielder, 16 year old Gerardo Bruna, on a 3 year deal.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2766790,00.html

I also feel like we are missing Alonso in the center for that extra attacking option.

malice_ wrote:
    I agree. I saw it last night and figured it had to be a troll until the poster was backing up their view. Now everyone is entitled to their opinion but Crouch v Torres is no contest!
    Did anyone else see Crouch's header near the end of the Birmingham game? He rose majestically above the defence, eyes on the ball, before arching his neck downwards sending the ball high over the bar. :mad:

well maybe I was a bit over the top but I really am stunned at the last few posts by Hash.

darkskol wrote:
    Rafa signs another midfielder, 16 year old Gerardo Bruna, on a 3 year deal.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_,00.html

I also feel like we are missing Alonso in the center for that extra attacking option.

excellent. dont know anything about him, but just the fact we're going for young talents of the calibre of him and Pucheco (sp) from barca is a great sign for the future. Robbing top teams best young players :)

What we need back is an in form Alonso. H really needs to up his game back to the levels he was at when he joined. He needs to be demanding the ball and making things happen, like only he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote:
    Gerrard really needs resting I think
    I don't know Mike...I think in another 1-2 games Gerrard will be back to his best...he needs to get a few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Think Momo should be due a start, just watched most of the Reading game again, and his performance was quite impressive. Masch seems to need a break for a couple of games, been quite disappointed with him last few games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone read that we're apparently in a fight with Arsenal to sign Samir Nasri? He'd be a very good signing, any time I watched Marseille play (even with Ribery) I always thought he was the best player on the park.

look I think I got you guys at a bad time, and I wasnt clear, what I was trying to say was maybe our best option up front is crouch and torres, why is our last season's most prolific striker not being played in the premiership?

For the record:

i think torres and crouch is the way to go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

~Rebel~ wrote:
    excellent. dont know anything about him.

Here you go...
    Benitez signs Madrid maestro
    by Tom Kell, 29 September 2007

Liverpool have poached 16-year-old Gerardo Bruna from Real Madrid as manager Rafa Benitez continues his worldwide search for the stars of the future.

The Argentine-born midfielder, who has played for Madrid’s junior side and is considered one of the hottest properties around, has penned a three-year contract with Liverpool.

Madrid are thought to have dithered in securing the player on a long-term deal so Benitez pounced with the promise of providing Bruna the chance to train with the first team and to play regularly for the reserves.

“That was an offer I just couldn’t refuse,” the player admitted to Spanish daily sports paper AS.

Significantly, he is half Spanish and therefore has an EU passport, meaning he does not require a work permit to play in The Premier League.

The youngster comes to England with a hefty reputation as his game is said to be of a similar ilk to that of fellow countryman Lionel Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

look I think I got you guys at a bad time, and I wasnt clear, what I was trying to say was maybe our best option up front is crouch and torres, why is our last season's most prolific striker not being played in the premiership?

For the record:

i think torres and crouch is the way to go.
    You definitely weren't clear. I (and others) took your original post to mean Crouch instead of Torres which you then justified by bringing Craig Bellamy into the equation.:confused: This season's Wigan are a better team than the one we dismantled last year. Had we gotten an early goal we might have come close to the 4:0 scoreline.
    Anyway, Crouch hasn't been performing well this season at all. Look at the free header against Birmingham I mentioned earlier for example. Combine that with the noises that are being made in the press about him not being happy and you have a recipe tailor-made to get fans on your back. Especially when internationals start being brought into the equation. Having suffered Michael Owen being more concerned about England for years, I don't want to see Crouch doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Whats the story with Babel?
    Having been on holliers for 2 weeks i've unfortunately been out of the loop with all things footy.
    Whats the general consensus on the Liverpool performances in general? Especially with the 0-0 draws....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He looks decent enough, bags of potential, but by no means a world beater yet, needs to get his confidence up and over the next few years he should turn into a cracking player, but the way these things work, its impossible to say for sure.

Interesting-just reading in "The Mirror" there, after the Birmingham game when Rafa was asked about Torres being omitted, he said Torres would not have made any difference and the player they needed was Benayoun (couldnt play due to religious holiday), then fast forward a week and Torres starts-is ineffective, and Rafa brings on Yossi, who scores the winner . . . see . . . . Rafa knows everything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

wierd that rafa makes 8 changes for the game at the weekend,we win with one of his squad players bought for this type of game.Yet no comment on how well rafa's rotation worked in this situation,only mentioned when we drop points.

Me smells a smear campaign

Would it not have something to do with the fact that if Liverpool are expected to put a fight for the title on, that these are the teams they are expected to beat.

Fact remains, if Wigan beat Liverpool, its a great result. If Liverpool beat Wigan, it is expected. And rightly so.

DSB wrote:
    Would it not have something to do with the fact that if Liverpool are expected to put a fight for the title on, that these are the teams they are expected to beat.

Fact remains, if Wigan beat Liverpool, its a great result. If Liverpool beat Wigan, it is expected. And rightly so.

True. It is getting harder to beat the "crap teams" though. Looking at the weekend, Chelsea could easily have conceded and lost from the chances on offer, same at United and Liverpool, though both did just enough for the win.
    I think its getting to the stage where very few games can be taken for granted (except Derby ;) ). Which is great. makes for a much more exciting league, and has the added bonus that its not the absolute end of the world.

Think Torres will start this week? Have a feeling it could be Crouch and Kuyt, with the extra pace of Voronin and Torres saved for the weekend against Spurs where we should be getting space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think a few years ago we would not be winning these types of games..not scraping the 1-0 wins which Chelsea and United have been doing.
    The first match, 2-1 win over Villa was an example of this. I feel we would have lost that or only drawn it.
    We need this bit of luck everyso often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

raven136 wrote:

yeah, on boards.ie

they'll have his job by christmas:rolleyes:

what do you want, people on here saying, well done rafa, you did the job you are paid to

raven136 wrote:
    wierd that rafa makes 8 changes for the game at the weekend,we win with one of his squad players bought for this type of game.Yet no comment on how well rafa's rotation worked in this situation,only mentioned when we drop points.

Oh dear, this is worthy of the Red and White Kop forums! *paranoia*

As for Crouch I'd take supposed comments in the press with a pinch of salt. He could be gone in January if a good bid comes in but we'll see eh?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

mike65 wrote:
    As for Crouch I'd take supposed comments in the press with a pinch of salt. He could be gone in January if a good bid comes in but we'll see eh?

Mike.

And if he was sold in Jan we could just move Babel up front and recruit a left winger to replace him. Oh wait - haven't we been through the whole recruit a left winger once or twice before..

But Harry will be back by then! ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

And playing like his own self.:D

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

There's a final in Jan ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Stevie Gs been in a car accident i heard, hope he is ok........*

* and gets better after the derby.

I hope he has a broken leg, but an injury crisis means he has to play the Derby with a cast on his leg and still gets a hat-trick even though we've had to leave him lying in the centre circle and letting him take frees and penos with his good leg to top of Torres 7 goals. :)

Seriously though, I'm putting money on all that happening.

Double seriously, hope he's ok.

EDIT: Think I'll hold off ringing PP for odds on the above http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2772719,00.html

Seems a kid ran into the side of his car, so there wont be any Roy of the Rovers style injury heroics (not any more than usual anyway:) )

Sky reporting on it http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2772719,00.html
    He's fine - if you believe his pr people some kid ran (literally) into the side of his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

source?

edit: got it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement