Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

tok9 wrote: »
    don'tknow if this was posted but heres another youth liverpool have been linked to:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3590027,00.html

lol such a non story, never once does he mention liverpool only that it is flattering that such "great clubs" have an interest in him. stupid sky sports trying to create stories from nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Just for hits and giggles posted a video of my fella on the ball. could be a new signing for this year...lol;):D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A guy I work with here from Liverpool (but living in Ireland for 4 years or so) showed me a picture yesterday. It was of his 15 year old son who went to Athens with him last year, die hard red, knows every song going, been to loads fo games with his dad, and cried after we lost the match. I know as I was there as well and nearly felt like joining him.

This young lad has been on trial at a number of premierships clubs including Liverpool and Sunderland, but the picture I saw yesterday was of him at his trial at Old Trafford in full Utd kit. He didn't look happy poor kid. Apparantly when the group of trialists were taken on a tour of old trafford he didn't bother going into the trophy room, he also waited outside the club shop when the rest of them were in there, and he didn't keep he complimentary kit he was offered either, but did keep the free boots!!! I'd say that was some contrast to his trial reaction at liverpool :) but fair play to him for doing it. It just goes to show that allegiances are made to be broken if the right offer comes along. How many of us were ever even close to being in a similar position?

Hope he gets snapped up somewhere though, he's a nice kid. One way or another his Dad will be able to annoy him with the photo for yers if he doesn't go to Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Good article by Tompkins

TOMKINS: SUMMER SIGNINGS AND SEASONAL INSANITY
    Paul Tomkins 21 May 2008
    Last summer I had quite a few emails about Fernando Torres, mainly from concerned fans feeling he was overrated and not the prolific striker the Reds needed. A big mistake, they said.

So in response I wrote about Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer, and how, by the age of 22/23, they had been scoring at a rate of only one goal every five games. They then moved to the right club for them, and before long were averaging a goal every game and a half. While a player may be a natural finisher, he still needs the right setting to flourish.

To be honest, I didn't expect Torres to succeed to quite as much as he has. But I agree with John Aldridge –– I can't see him suffering Second Season Syndrome. Some have said that Torres will struggle next season because defenders will know him better. If anything, he will know them better. He has no apparent weaknesses; most defenders do. And he will find them.

Chelsea and Arsenal had plenty of chances to see him this season, and yet he scored in his 4th game against Arsenal and his 1st and 4th games against Chelsea. He has scored far more goals in the second fixtures against Premiership teams than he did in his first.

His first and last goals of the season –– against Chelsea and Spurs –– sum up his unpredictability. He gets defenders square on, then can take it past them either way. In these occasions he went left; on others, he'll go right. With his pace, he can go past entire defences. Add to that that he can score from 30 yards or from headers or from volleys or with poached finishes (though he can improve here), and you have a player who is never going to be easy to stop.

To score 33 goals without a single penalty is remarkable. Shearer, Owen, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Henry all boosted their tallies with spot-kicks.

The one problem Torres does face is increased expectation. Now fans expect him to score every time he pulls on a red shirt. What he's yet to experience is the dry spell every striker encounters, while the sheer unexpected euphoria of this season may be lacking next time around. But having only just turned 24, and only having adjusted fully to the Premiership in the last five months, he can get better and score even more goals.

I tend to defend most signings as a matter of course; I can usually see the picture of what the manager is trying to do. And he is the one utilising the player, not me. In the case of Torres, I was particularly confident of his quality, but you have to remain open-minded whoever it is.

Of course, any number of reasons can stop that vision coming to fruition –– loss of form; adapting to a new club and possibly a new league; serious injury, and so on.

But I'm always more interested in judging how someone does for Liverpool, while allowing for a period of adaptation, rather than damning someone for what they did previously and then turning on them after the first couple of games.

I work from the basis that the manager knows a lot more than me and pretty much every last fan out there. The scouts know a lot more, too. All of them have seen the player in question more than me, and will have extensively studied his game, and possibly his lifestyle, temperament, etc, as well.

The manager knows exactly how the player will be deployed, and may have an idea how to get the best of them (i.e. Wenger signing Henry who was playing poorly on the wing for Juvenus and reverting him to a striker). He will be looking to see what he can bring out of a player, and how said player can adapt his game with better players around him.

Some players look infinitely better when surrounded by top players (see Torres) or when playing at the right club, or under the right manager.

Some players get better with age and experience, while others peak at a younger age and decline. Or some stagnate or almost disappear in the wrong environment, such as Mascherano at West Ham. Like many fans, I was distinctly underwhelmed by Frank Lampard until a few years ago, but then his game went up a couple of levels. Jamie Carragher was another whose game improved dramatically in his mid-twenties.

Not having heard of a player doesn't mean he's not good enough; Hyypia, Agger and Skrtel were not well-known to me. The same can be said of plenty of Arsene Wenger's best signings. Plenty of Liverpool's worst signings have been fairly high-profile.

Similarly, “he only cost a few million...” is another red herring. Yes, you're going to struggle to build a great team with £2m players, and yes, you'll get a few duds if you shop in the bargain basement. But there is always a good cheap option every now and then. Conversely, Shevchenko and Veron remain examples of how a stellar reputation and £30m fee ultimately provide no guarantees of quality and success.

Finally, and often most irritating, “he wouldn't get into United's/Chelsea's/Arsenal's side”. Because, as excellent as they are, either Rooney or Tevez wouldn't get into Liverpool's side, given that Torres is more prolific and, given his extra pace and height, the more natural striker/target-man. But that didn't stop Rooney and Tevez helping United win the title. Hargreaves, Carrick, Park, Fletcher and numerous other United midfielders wouldn't get into Liverpool's best side. Nor would Van der Sar. And so on.

The aim is to add ingredients that will improve Liverpool, either in small increments or, with the rare über-gem like Torres, in bold strokes, and not to obsess on whether or not they'd get into a rival team, which will almost certainly have differing strengths and weaknesses.

There will always be the worry that any player moving up to a big club will be anxious and overawed. Beyond checking his character –– has he had to handle pressure, and perhaps captain a club? How did he take to international football? –– there's not a lot that can be done to know for sure, unless he's already done well at a big club; but of course, you don't often get to sign players direct from other big clubs.

Which is kind of why I get irritated by the “but he only plays for...” argument. To some people, it's almost as if we should only be signing Messi, Ronaldo or Kaka –– as if those players were a) available, and b) would cost less than £60m each. The aim has to be to find the Messi of Newell's Old Boys Youth, the Ronaldo of Sporting Lisbon and the Kaka of Sao Paulo. And even then, these are incredibly rare talents, and if Liverpool do spot them, they won't be the only club.

But if you can't find or secure such talents, it doesn't mean that someone playing in a UEFA Cup team at 27 is too inferior to play for Liverpool.

And even if a signing has failed after two years, while it may not bode well it needn't be the end either. Three of Arsenal's best players this season were Hleb, Adebayor and Flamini, none of whom were pulling up any trees in their previous two, two-and-a-half and four seasons respectively.

Ultimately it's up to a manager to decide if he must cut his losses after a year (ala Gonzalez, Bellamy) or persevere with a player who is not quite delivering. Again, much of it is down to what the manager sees at close quarters.

So what areas of the team will be addressed this summer?

Width and pace are important elements, and a lot of fans crave tricky wingers going down the line. But width can just as easily come from full-back positions. And this is one reason why the Swiss right-back Degen has been signed. He is quick, good on the ball and delivers quality into the box. His career had stalled a bit at Dortmund, but he's a talented lad at a good age.

Cristiano Ronaldo is often cited as the greatest example of what Liverpool lack out wide, but he spends most of his time wandering all over the pitch, while Evra provides the real, unceasing width on United's left. Equally, on the other flank, Ferguson, like a lot of managers, tends to often go for more ‘steady' options –– players like Wes Brown (hardly an attacking great), Neville, Fletcher and Park, who will hold their position a bit more.

I do think that Ryan Babel has the attributes to get close to rivalling Ronaldo. Andy Gray, not noted for his Liverpool bias, thinks Babel is a wonderful player in the making; Gray knows that the majority of overseas players take time to adapt, and that a young player's first season is a steep learning curve. It took Ronaldo two seasons before he really started making a mark; until then he was seen as all step-overs and no end-product. He scored 4, 5 and 9 league goals in his first three seasons –– then 17 and 31 in his next two.

I think some fans get it into their heads that a team must have two out-and-out wingers, two attacking full-backs and, at most, one defensive midfielder. When dreaming, it's easy to forget the realities of balance.

There's also the issue of two out-and-out strikers, an obsession that is so outdated it's amazing how it still gets incessantly mooted. Again if we must compare with our rivals, we can see that none of them utilise two up front.

These days, 4-4-2 is almost always 4-4-1-1 or other variations on the theme. To work, it needs to be like Rush and Dalglish -- and that was to all intents and purposes 4-4-1-1.

Benítez speaks often about playing between the lines, and at times, that's all United do, with Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo dropping deep and then going forward en masse. Chelsea bought Nicolas Anelka, but only play him up front with Drogba in times of desperation; otherwise it's an either or situation, or with Anelka on the wing. And at Arsenal, Eduardo and Van Persie play behind Adebayor, while Bendtner is a last-gasp option.

Two out-and-out strikers also encourages long-ball tactics. Rather than play through teams, you look direct because the forwards are isolated from the midfield. For me, it's why Crouch and Torres rarely play together –– neither is as effective coming deep for the ball. Both are good at doing so, but you want Crouch using his height right up against centre-backs (and as he's not the quickest, he can't run from deep like Gerrard does), while Torres has to torment the last defender, and indeed, the entire back line.

The fact that Liverpool scored 31 goals from wingers/wide-midfielders this season suggests it's not an area in quite as desperate need of addressing as some think. But greater options in wide areas are clearly what the manager is looking at.

Whoever the manager signs, I will rest assured that there will be a very good reason behind it.

BrookieD wrote: »
    Just for hits and giggles posted a video of my fella on the ball. could be a new signing for this year...lol;):D

i hear Wenger is already on a plane over!!! watch out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Lots of reports in the Italian press that Alonso is going to Juve for 14m. That would be criminal on our part. When you see how much Carrick, Hargreaves have gone for or how much Villa want for Barry, and taking into account Alonso is young and has 4 years left on his contract, 14m would be bad business for us.

Other reports that Finnan is off to Fulham for 2m. Makes sense. I really cant see Rafa keeping three right backs happy next season.

Riise ---> Dossena
    Finnan ---> Degen
    Alonso ---> Barry
    Crouch --->

I just hope if we sell Crouch we upgrade on him because so far, this is looking like two steps sideways and one step back rather than a step forward.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i hear Wenger is already on a plane over!!! watch out...

I bloody wish:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yee guys happy with new signing? Has Finnan really been that disappointing when he played?

Trilla wrote: »
    yee guys happy with new signing? Has Finnan really been that disappointing when he played?

Well Degen was free so its hard to be too disappointed but I was hoping we would get a quality full back in. Finnan has been ok when hes played but hes been picking up injuries, which is unlike him. It looks as if he is pretty much past it. Maybe one or two more decent seasons left in him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Although Finnan fresh faced looking...he's getting on in years.

it would be great to keep sami and finnan at the club to help out the youths; players like san jose, huth and insua could learn so much from them. but a 2m offer for Finnan would be difficult to turn down especially with Degen in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Pfft show pony, lots of tricks and no end product. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Does anyone know much aboutn Pierre Wome.. i remember seeing him play against chelsea in the champs league a season or two ago. thought he was good enough and has prem league experience.. would be a much better option then risse or maybe even this dossena lad (£8 million rated:confused:) and on a free! What u think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That looks suspiciously like Nakamura to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Udinese defender Andrea Dossena is close to agreeing a move to Liverpool, according to reports in Italy.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is on the lookout for a left-back to bolster his squad as it is expected John Arne Riise is set to leave Anfield this summer.

Tottenham are also chasing £9million-rated Dossena's signature and it is understood that the North London club had a bid rejected in the January transfer window.

However, it is rumoured that Udinese sporting director Pietro Leonardi recently flew to England to discuss a possible transfer with Liverpool.

The Reds, though, would face a battle to land 26-year-old Dossena as Serie A giants Juventus are also seeking close-season reinforcements.

Dossena, who has made one appearance for Italy, has played 63 games for Udinese since joining from Treviso in 2006 and he has scored two goals in that time.

well so much for my idea of wome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.breakingnews.ie

Rafael Benitez reckons that just one win against Champions League finalists Manchester United would change Liverpool’s season next time around.

Such has been Liverpool’s dreadful recent record against the champions, that even co-owner Tom Hicks suggested after December’s home defeat that the Reds did not look as if they believed they could beat their rivals.

It is certainly a matter of worry for fans and seeing United win their 17th league title – one short of Liverpool’s record – and reach another European Cup final has heightened the concern.

Benitez accepts the problem and told the 'LFC' magazine: “If you beat Manchester United once it results in a six-point swing either way and that can be the difference.”

Liverpool finished 11 points behind the champions this season and Benitez wants his team to be hungrier next term.

He said: “Clearly, just one team can win the league, so it doesn’t really matter if you are three, six, nine or 11 points behind as we are this season.

“It is not a massive difference. It may just come down to one game over the course of a season.

“The key for me is knowing there is a difference between us and the three teams above us and that we must now reduce this gap.

“It was not massive this season. We came closer than last season. Hopefully next season we will be closer again, maybe even on top of them.”

Benitez has so far made just one summer signing, Philipp Degen from Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer, and said: “This club is all about winning things so we are disappointed not to have picked up any trophies this season.

“But we will be hungrier next season. Clearly, we are winners and want to win silverware every year.

“We have not done that for two seasons so we will be looking to improve again in order to try and deliver something for our supporters next time.”

Despite an end-of-season run that saw them lose just two of their 19 games, one of those defeats was a painful 3-0 mauling at Old Trafford.

In Benitez’s four seasons at Anfield, Liverpool have lost seven of their league clashes with United, with a 0-0 draw their only point in that time. Benitez’s only victory against them was a 1-0 FA Cup fifth-round success in 2006.

Benitez will now focus his attention on summer transfer targets but he may have to sell as well.

There is strong speculation in the Italian media that Juventus are trying to sign midfielder Xabi Alonso for £12m.

Benitez still hopes to use £6m-rated goalkeeper Scott Carson as a makeweight in a deal to bring Aston Villa’s Gareth Barry to Anfield, while Fulham are believed to be interested in re-signing Steve Finnan for £2m.

Benitez is also trying to land Bordeaux’s veteran goalkeeper Ulrich Rame, with the unimpressive Charles Itandje moving in the opposite direction.

From Channel4.com
    Milan are considering the option of replacing the departing Serginho with Udinese full-back Andrea Dossena, according to reports.

The veteran Brazilian, 36, ended his Rossoneri career on Sunday after nine years with the outfit and the club are looking for a similar flying wing-back.

Dossena could be that man after his sensational campaign at the Friuli saw him win international recognition and the interest of Liverpool.

Some reports in Italy on Wednesday are suggesting that Milan sporting director Ariedo Braida has discussed the player with Udinese counterpart Pietro Leonardi.

Talks are set to continue between both parties, but the feeling is that an agreement could be imminent.

Udinese, who have a reputation for unearthing talents, signed the 26-year-old from Treviso in the summer of 2006.

Dossena, whose only previous club was Verona, will probably be replaced in Friuli by Paolo Castellini after Parma were relegated on Sunday.

Juventus and Roma have also been tentatively associated with the versatile Dossenaq

I dont understand how this 26 year old seems to be so highly rated yet he hasnt even made the Italian squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Well i dont know anything about this dossena havent seen him play much. Seems to be highly rated...

Just wondering what do people think of Nicky Shorey? Yes he played in a reading side who leaked goals but he did get called up to England and his for his set pieces alone.....He racked up alot of assists last year.

Think he would be a good buy myself.And reading have said their looking to sell him....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tusky wrote: »
    I dont understand how this 26 year old seems to be so highly rated yet he hasnt even made the Italian squad.

i know people are being ridiculous they used to say le tissier was a good player and he barely player for england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Juve in talks over Alonso ? I know it's been reported vaguely already but hadn't seen mention of them flying to Liverpool for advanced talks before.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3591675,00.html

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    Juve in talks over Alonso ? I know it's been reported vaguely already but hadn't seen mention of them flying to Liverpool for advanced talks before.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3591675,00.html

If we sell Alonso for 12-14m and buy Barry for 15m I will slap myself in the face. Hard. And then start supporting Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Tusky wrote: »
    If we sell Alonso for 12-14m and buy Barry for 15m I will slap myself in the face. Hard. And then start supporting Wigan.
    i actually think barry has been better than alonso over the last two seasons and he also has the versatility to play on the left.

perhaps alonso is a better player technically, but his performances this season didnt show that, and have been below par!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

taidghbaby wrote: »
    i actually think barry has been better than alonso over the last two seasons and he also has the versatility to play on the left.

perhaps alonso is a better player technically, but his performances this season didnt show that, and have been below par!

Well then why dont we buy a player who is as good technically or is even better than Alonso?
    Barry most definitely is not so no matter what way you look at it, replacing
    Alonso with Barry would be a big step back in terms of passing range and
    technical ability.
    Unless Mascherano is going to start to get involved in build up play, which in
    fairness he has since Christmas, Liverpools midfield needs a player who can
    get on the ball and spray it around quickly and accurately.
    Someone who can control the tempo of a game and who can pick a forward
    pass be it long or short, for me Barry is not the player for that role at that level.
    Liverpool need a Pirlo or a Xavi if they are selling Alonso

so how did we lose to chelsea, they look utter $h1te tonight. i'm embarrased...

EDIT: well they showed me with an immediate goal, sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Call_me_al wrote: »
    so how did we lose to chelsea, they look utter $h1te tonight. i'm embarrased...

EDIT: well they showed me with an immediate goal, sigh...

chelsea are playing tonight? didnt know there was footie on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

IrishMike wrote: »
    Well then why dont we buy a player who is as good technically or is even better than Alonso?
    Barry most definitely is not so no matter what way you look at it, replacing
    Alonso with Barry would be a big step back in terms of passing range and
    technical ability.
    Unless Mascherano is going to start to get involved in build up play, which in
    fairness he has since Christmas, Liverpools midfield needs a player who can
    get on the ball and spray it around quickly and accurately.
    Someone who can control the tempo of a game and who can pick a forward
    pass be it long or short, for me Barry is not the player for that role at that level.
    Liverpool need a Pirlo or a Xavi if they are selling Alonso
    i could be wrong but i think barry had the most (equall with young) assists in the premiership last season.
    i never said barry was the answer (i would rather xavi/iniesta) but imo for the same money barry is better than alonso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Possible Luis Garcia type player, similar size too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

i could be wrong but i think barry had the most (equall with young) assists in the premiership last season.
    i never said barry was the answer (i would rather xavi/iniesta) but imo for the same money barry is better than alonso!

tbh the way iniesta played against utd in CL I wouldn't buy him...nor that clown deco....we neeeeeeeeeed proper speedy wingers..

Barry had 8 assists from play the same as steed malbranque.
    He had 6 assists from free kicks which is the same as Tom Huddlestone.
    Joint 19th in terms of open play assists and joint 7th overall but who is counting
    ;)

Ill grant you 14 assists is an excellent return but there is no way in hell
    he is as good a passer as Alonso which is what Liverpool need.
    If we needed a wide player to get assists why not throw 10m + crouch + carson
    - voronin at Villa and try and get Young?
    Barry is not as good a player as Alonso, on form there are very few in Europe who are so
    why on earth does it appear we are selling him for as little as £12?

dunno if this has been posted, havent seen it.

anyway, new club store opening in liverpool next week apparantly. biggest club store in europe allegibly.

might not seem like much but its its about time the club had a proper superstore. this one might even have our home jersey on sale in different sizes! :pac:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/tm_headline=new-liverpool-fc-store-biggest-in-europe%26method=full%26objectid=20941338%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone spot the Chelsea fan who had a thought for us! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ye that loser.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone spot the Chelsea fan who had a thought for us! ;)

Mike.

always we say if people are talking about us it means we are doing the right things, no?

I feel sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah fair played to United in the end. Would have preferred United to win for a multitude of reasons but it was a very entertaining match and both Terry and Ronaldo missed penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

el rabitos wrote: »
    dunno if this has been posted, havent seen it.

anyway, new club store opening in liverpool next week apparantly. biggest club store in europe allegibly.

might not seem like much but its its about time the club had a proper superstore. this one might even have our home jersey on sale in different sizes! :pac:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/tm_headline=new-liverpool-fc-store-biggest-in-europe%26method=full%26objectid=20941338%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

on the subject of the shirt, any one buying in the morning

irish-stew wrote: »
    on the subject of the shirt, any one buying in the morning

gonna wait till i get over and have a look at that new store i reckon, get myself a shirt with agger on the back and watch them make it in the "relaxation zone" :cool:

hate to be a chelski fan, new shirt of theirs is pretty mank tbh. czech looked like some sort of fruit in goal too

Ah fair played to United in the end. Would have preferred United to win for a multitude of reasons but it was a very entertaining match and both Terry and Ronaldo missed penalties.

I dont share the same oppinon.Ever.

On a different topic I notice Thomas Ince has been brought into the Liverpool Academy this year. Wonder how hel turn out. Ive heard before hes supposed to be good.

saw that this morning and had a little laugh at it being described as the biggest club store in Europe. Not exactly much competition for that claim considering it'll only be the 4th official store .. that I know of anyway (Anfield, Williamson Sq, Chester & now Liverpool One)

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    saw that this morning and had a little laugh at it being described as the biggest club store in Europe. Not exactly much competition for that claim considering it'll only be the 4th official store .. that I know of anyway (Anfield, Williamson Sq, Chester & now Liverpool One)

i thought it meant biggest of all clubs not just liverpool, no? maybe i'm wrong

i thought it meant biggest of all clubs not just liverpool, no? maybe i'm wrong
    Maybe it's me that read it wrong so - I just assumed it meant biggest LFC club store. Reading it again it's not entirely clear what the intended meaning was -- "THE biggest official club store in Europe" - easy to interpret it either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I now fear that Ferguson will stay on to try overturn Paisley's record of 3 European cups .. I know theres always the chance of liverpool winning again next year ... but perhaps Ferguson might take his eye off the ball next year while trying to win the 3rd EC...and he slips up in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yesterday's POTD. Not close.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yesterday's POTD. Not close.

eh???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Barry is not as good a player as Alonso, on form there are very few in Europe who are so why on earth does it appear we are selling him for as little as £12?
    This is true, but Alonso hasn't been on form for a couple of seasons. If he does go I'm assuming Rafa has decided he's unlikely to regain his form and its better to move him on.

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    This is true, but Alonso hasn't been on form for a couple of seasons. If he does go I'm assuming Rafa has decided he's unlikely to regain his form and its better to move him on.

I have no problem with that, what im saying is how can you replace a
    playmaker like Alonso with Barry?
    They are not the same type of player

- Liverpool are closing in on £9m-rated Udinese full-back Andrea Dossena but want £16m from Juventus for Xabi Alonso. (Star)

Villa are ending their plans to sign keeper Scott Carson after failing to agree a fee with Liverpool. (The Daily Telegraph)

Why on earth are Juve constantly linked with half the Liverpool team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think we'll see Lucas step into the playmakers role next season when he plays. We need two new CM's if Alonso leaves. If we are to have 2 per position that is. And even that is assuming Plessis is ready to play some league games next year.

Mascherano/Plessis----BARRY/Lucas

Gerrard/???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yea i agree there is no comparison. I think when Barry is playing on top of his game he's a decent player, but Alonso on his game is unbelievable.

I have a lot of time for Alonso so i would like to see him stay but if he were to leave we would have to be looking at someone a lot better than Barry to replace him. Maybe we will look to De La Red, seen as we have been linked to him a few times. Can't really think of an others off the top of my head that we could realistically sign. BTW i think Xavi is an unrealistic target. Can see Barca doing a big clearout this summer, but i doubt he will be part of it.
    Maybe someone like wesley Sneijder from Madrid??? He wasn't always first choice, but i think he had a few injuries. Decent passer and a good free taker.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eh???

He is saying that your post was by far the best post made on this thread (maybe even all of boards) yesterday.

He liked the kids skills it would appear.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement