Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Someone mentioned above about trying Babel up front, I'd like to see that. Even for one game, he has so much pace, he can sprint from defenders.
    I'd say tho, agreeing mostly with the teams above. I think Gerrard will play instead of Lucas, but other than that. Maybe Riise instead of Babel, I think he will go with Riise because of his experience.
    Cisse is a doubt, which sucks, I'd like to see him in action. I think he'll get a good reception, but maybe not as good for Zenden.
    In other news, anyone want to see the new Liverpool PES 2008 faces?
    Enjoy.
    http://www.pcaction.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=615224&entity_id=-1&image_id=703025&overview=yes&page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

~Rebel~ wrote:
    With no Gerrard or Torres that would leave Yossi as pretty much the only bit of creativity on the pitch..

If only Harry was fit...

I reckon Gerrard will make an appearance, possibly both him and Torres from the subs bench (again) but it'll be too late if that happens. Sadly, I'll have to agree...without them it has 0-0 written all over it. Unless Zenden or Cisse have a point to prove (though hopefully neither will have the ability to do so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Riise on the LW with Babel partnering Torres would be interesting to see alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Kanney wrote:

Pennant is nailed on. The rest resemble their true-life counterparts (even if the Agger one, looks a bit birth-defect-y), except Arbeloa, who the developers have clearly never seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

reckon Cisse will definately score :( just the way these things work. think we'll start a strong team incl one of, or both Gerrrard and Torres, we can't risk not qualifying from this group, although, at the same team, its rafa we're talking about, so who knows! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

reckon Cisse will definately score :( just the way these things work. think we'll start a strong team incl one of, or both Gerrrard and Torres, we can't risk not qualifying from this group, although, at the same team, its rafa we're talking about, so who knows! :)

I was thinking the exact same thing regarding Cisse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its the CL, our best players please... that means stevie me and nando

lay off on the stevie me ****e, he's our captain after all-get behind the team and all that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ahh its true tho, so u gotta laugh :p
    love the lad, quality player and great captain... but really - its all about G-Unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

SofaKing wrote:
    Riise on the LW with Babel partnering Torres would be interesting to see alright.

Riise should never ever ever be allowed to play LW, he is just awful there.

• Advertisement

i cant believe you just said G-unit :( i've lost all faith in humanity

Riise should never ever ever be allowed to play, he is just awful.

thats wat you meant to say, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Theres only 2 games and then a 13day break, we may as well put out pretty much the full team twice. No point resting them for the national teams.

I think/hope it'll be Crouch and Torres tonight, and Kuyt and Torres on Sunday.

Could also see Cisse scoring tonight.

thats wat you meant to say, no?

True. Don't you just love when Riise picks up the ball 40 yards from goal and has a yard of space. We all know what's coming, and in fairness to him, sooner or later one will go in.

He's scored some great goals, but the amount of opportunities he wastes is just beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

PES faces are class, Arbeloa completely missed tho. At least the likes of Agger, Pennant, Aurelio dont have the standard white man, black man face like they had in previous games.
    Voronin and Crouch tonight.

I'll go Crouch Torres......

Reina

Finnan---Hypia----Carragher-Aurelio
    Gerrard---Sissoko--Mascherano-Yossi

Torres----Crouch

Which will of course park the .. . . . GERRARD ON THE RIGHT!!!!!! debate :(

Then for Sunday . . . . .

Reina

Finnan
    Hypia---Carragher---Arbeloa

Momo
    -Pennant
    Gerrard
    Babel--

Torres
    Kuyt

I actually think a stint on the right would do Gerrard good. He is a little too outspoken in the media about his best position, rotation etc. Just a little reminder that he's not bigger than the team.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think the team tonight will be....

Reina

Finnan
    Hyypia---Carragher---Arbeloa
    Benayoun----Momo----Gerrard
    Riise

Torres
    Voronin

Then Sunday

Reina

Finnan
    Pennant----Masch----Gerrard
    Babel

Torres
    Kuyt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

5starpool wrote:
    I think the team tonight will be....

Reina

Finnan
    Gerrard----Momo
    Masch
    Riise

Torres
    Voronin

Thats the way I think Raffa will play it. Maybe with Babel on the left and Stevie G to score from the right wing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I didnt realise there is a two week break after the Spurs game. If thats the case he should put out a strong side tonight.

This is what I would go for.

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Riise

Yossi
    Gerrard
    Sissoko
    Babel

Crouch---Torres

Yossi has earned a start and I would like to see more of the Crouch & Torres partership. Sissoko has earned a start as well and Mascherano hasnt been great lately. Arbeloa has also earned a rest..

I really hope Rafa gives Babel a kick up the arse. He obviously has bags of potential but seems content to trot around the pitch and looks generally uninterested. Sometimes he looks like he doesnt even want the ball and he plays the simple ball too often for my liking. I suppose hes young and is still settling in but Id like to see him take on players a little more.

I would also be interested in seeing this -

Gerrard----Sissoko----Lucas----Yossi

Torres---Babel

I think it would work quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Confirmed line up

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Aurelio
    Benayoun-Sissoko-Gerrard-Leto
    Crouch-Torres

Subs: Itandje, Arbeloa, Riise, Mascherano, Voronin, Babel, Kuyt,

Got 9 right. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Leto is an odd choice there, otherwise probably the best team availible bar Kuyt.

mike65 wrote:
    Confirmed line up

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Aurelio
    Benayoun-Sissoko-Gerrard-Leto
    Crouch-Torres

Mike.

ah - I was only two players off and I was going to mention that I wouldnt mind Aurelio over Riise...fabios crossing was terrible at the weekend though. Leto is a bit of an odd choice seeing as Babel didnt feature in the last game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Glad to see leto get a look in to be honest.
    With all these purchases we should be blooding the younger players.

Setanta seem to have made a fairly big booboo. They showed Liverpools formation like this...

Gerrard----Sissoko----Leto----Benayoun

and then launched into a conversation about Gerrard playing on the right. Surely Leto (a left winger) is not playing in the center ?

Saw that and posted on the CL thread. Sounds unlikely to me.

Cisse on the bench due to knock in training.

Mike.

RTE & Uefa.com showing this lineup...

Gerrard---Mascherano---Sissoko---Babel

Torres--Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Setanta lads probably got Lucas and Leto mixed up or something..or else they'd already made their notes and comments based on an expectancy Gerrard being on the right and said fckit they'd steam on.

<edit> liverpool.tv showing leto, gerrard, sissoko, yossi anyway..
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157190071003-1852.htm
    Peter Crouch returns to the Liverpool side to partner Fernando Torres up front against Marseille.
    Sebastian Leto also makes Rafa Benitez's starting XI, while for the visitors Djibril Cisse has to settle for a place on the bench.

However, Bolo Zenden will line up against his former teammates.

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Finnan, Aurelio, Carragher, Hyypia, Sissoko, Gerrard, Benayoun, Leto, Torres, Crouch. Subs: Riise, Voronin, Arbeloa, Kuyt, Babel, Itandje, Mascherano.

• Advertisement

Jasus a professional bunch (both setanta and RTE).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

RTE seem to think Cisse is starting? Massive confusion over the line-ups! They had liverpool down as:

Reina
    Finnan Carra Hyppia Arbeloa
    Gerrard Sissoko Mascherano Leto
    Torres Crouch

Good work lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Sluggish is the word I keep hearing from the commentators over here and I'd have to agree. Our passing is nowhere near as crisp as it should be. Crossing from both sides is poor.

Crouch, Leto and Aurelio have been very disappointing so far. Leto in particular, he can't seem to cross or beat his man.

One of these days I'll manage to pick the starting line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Liverpool seems to have a collective attack of the sissokos. Nobody seems to be able to pass. Setanta feed is stopping and starting like mad. Very hard to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah its a very poor start. Extremely lucky not to be losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

piss poor from liverpool so far nobody seems to want the ball. Goal should have stood and Marseille would be welll worth their lead.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

RTE seem to think Cisse is starting? Massive confusion over the line-ups!

im in chicago watching it on espn2 and they thought Cisse was starting too. the Irish colour commentator the americans have here is driving me nuts o and hes slating liverpools performance

First touch has been awful with no ball retention, can't say anyone has looked good so far bar Reina.

Mike.

im in chicago watching it on espn2 and they thought Cisse was starting too. the Irish colour commentator the americans have here is driving me nuts o and hes slating liverpools performance

Ah Tommy Smith, he's ruined many a match for me.

Very poor first half. Would like to see Babel for Leto and Voronin or Kuyt on for Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

They've all been muck. What the hell is happening?

Havnt got to see a close up but is that Bruno "Zidane" Cheyrou playing for Marseilles or a different guy?

• Advertisement

Its his brother! So he'll score from 30 yards.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Lou Macari should learn the offside rule before he sits in a commentary box again, in fact he should just generally get a clue

Yea Liverpool playing terrible

Didnt think we could play any worse than the Porto game but Ive been proved wrong. Absolutely awful. Aurelio, Leto, Sissoko & Torres have been very poor. Specially Sissoko and Leto. Our passing has been so so sloppy, its hard and frustrating to watch. Leto seems to run into his man everytime he gets the ball. I counted Sissoko passing the ball to the opposition 5 times in the first 10 minutes. Liverpool are playing far too deep and arent supporting each other when in possession.

Maybe im being a bit hard on Torres as its very hard for a striker to play well when hes not getting supported. The team as a whole seem to be struggling with the playing conditions as the pitch looks awfully slippy. I dont think it was offside so we are very lucky in that regard.
    Get Mascherano on for Sissoko immediately and bring Babel on for Leto pretty soon after.

Kulgan wrote:
    Lou Macari should learn the offside rule before he sits in a commentary box again, in fact he should just generally get a clue

Is Lou Macari the second commentator ? The guy who was saying that when it rebounded off the Liverpool player it shouldnt have been offside ? He has been annoying me since even before the game. Doesnt seem to have a clue, dont know HOW they let him on tv.

Can't blame Torres much he's not getting any supply.

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ah Tommy Smith, he's ruined many match for me.
    thats the guy, his face is almost as annoying as his voice. praising Finnan now, crouch getting ripped on though with leto. who he suggests should have been subbbed at half time.

o heres the left boot of Thor, i mean Riise to change things

Riise???? Sometimes I just don't get what Rafa is thinking.

Good to see Crouch has been watching his Niall Quinn videos on the art of lifting your shoulders and pulling your head down to make it look like your jumping when your standing flat on the ground. FFs he's useless.

He's leaving Crouch on. Boo urns.

I see Ciise has changed anyway :D

2000th post in the thread 1/5th of the way to being locked.:)

Well thats just no good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement