Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

KdjaCL wrote:
    Maybe they should see each other every day and train with them or something.

kdjac

Its obviously not the same as a proper competitive match situation. Also a lot of the players at Liverpool have personalised routines so i'd guess dont spend ALL their training time together.

Lets put it this way, if just training together was enough to forge partnerships, why did they look like strangers on the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Lets put it this way, if just training together was enough to forge partnerships, why did they look like strangers on the pitch?

Benayoun likes to run at players from the edge of the box after the getting the ball to feet.
    Pennant likes to get to get to the byline and whip in.
    Alsonso likes to receive the ball and lay it off 1st time to a running man into space.
    Gerrard likes to dink it over the top.
    Torres prefers to come on to the ball rather than receive with back to goal.
    Voronyin /Kuyt like to receive with back to goal.

i got all that from TV imagine what training with these 100k a week footballers would get you, the players are right the squad is perfect if they are following a gameplan or as you see it looking like strangers its certainly not the players fault.

Any one of you could pick a league winning 11 from that squad and play them to their strengths and win.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaCL wrote:
    Maybe they should see each other every day and train with them or something.

kdjac

The only way you gell properly and really get to know syltes is by playing compettive games with each other. A more consistant team selection is needed to let the players styles mix properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The problem last night was fairly simple, there was no urgency apart from the last few minutes. Momo was a prime example, his middle name is "urgent" any other time I've seen him, and yet he was robbed of possesion a number of times. There was no closing down, no high tempo, nothing, and that is part and parcel of what Rafa teaches.

It wasn't the team selection, it was the team attitude, "oh its this bottom of the table french side at anfield, we just need to turn up" type attitude.

We lost, we deserved to lose. If they pick themselves up and tear Spurs a new one on Sunday, I'll be happy.

By the way, isn't it odd the way no-one is going on about our zonal marking at set plays this season so far? Wonder what will happen when we eventually conced a goal from a set play? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

We'll blame Carragher, he's due some stick... right?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Maybe this is Rafas way of prioritising the premier league? He has a cunning plan to make us finish bottom of our group, and be out of europe by christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote:
    Maybe this is Rafas way of prioritising the premier league? He has a cunning plan to make us finish bottom of our group, and be out of europe by christmas.

Do you know something at this stage I would not mind,once he gives a good run for the premier league.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dub13 wrote:
    Do you know something at this stage I would not mind,once he gives a good run for the premier league.
    In hindsight mode at the end of the season I wouldn't mind being able to say it, but it'd be hard to believe that it would happen.

Yea I don't think Rafa could leave Europe for one year its just not like him,I think he just understated marseille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea I don't think Rafa could leave Europe for one year its just not like him,I think he just understated marseille.

dont think rafa underestimated them but the players sure did.That 11 was very capable of beating marseilles with a bit of application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We were ****e, its that simple, no rotation, no massive reason...its not a big deal. Good result on Sunday hopefully.

Speaking of Sunday, does anyone know if the game is on anywhere?

raven136 wrote:
    dont think rafa underestimated them but the players sure did.That 11 was very capable of beating marseilles with a bit of application

I disagree,if Rafa taught marseilles were going to play like they did Leto & Sissoko would not have played.But there is not point in trying to get into Rafa's head as it simple cannot be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Dub13 wrote:
    I disagree,if Rafa taught marseilles were going to play like they did Leto & Sissoko would not have played.But there is not point in trying to get into Rafa's head as it simple cannot be done.
    i'd say its a very strange place,big fan of the guy but he is a tad odd:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Rafa did'nt give a toss about the CL he'd have put out a very different team - a la League Cup.

I'd normally be pretty chipper at the prospect of the Spurs game, they can't defend for toffee, but I've dark foreboding about this meeting.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Speaking of Sunday, does anyone know if the game is on anywhere?

If you know someone with a DigitAlb sub ? A few other channels on Hotbird & Astra 1 have it also but nothing FTA.

http://liveonsat.com/daily.php?start_dd=07&start_mm=10&start_yyyy=2007&end_dd=07&end_mm=10&end_yyyy=2007

Cheers Zing

Heres some extended highlights of Liverpool reserves this season if anyone wants to see em. Can kinda see why Leto got his chance alright.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=Q3CVGMPK
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=KJSM4H7O
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=X3M5EKT8

Some vague hints that we may be interested in Klaas Jan Huntelaar as well. http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=426765&PageIndex=2

Also according to ThisIsAnfield's "insider" type person (like Bannor was) Crouch may be off in January with Klaas his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

~Rebel~ wrote:

Also according to ThisIsAnfield's "insider" type person (like Bannor was) Crouch may be off in January with Klaas his replacement.

please god may this be true :rolleyes:

I know feck all about him tbh, but from wat i've heard, he is very highly rated and a real goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Klaas for Crouch would be some of the best business LFC have ever done. The guy is great, a natural goal scorer (there's a reason Van Basten wasn't too worried about losing RVN)

• Advertisement

team for Sunday hopefully:

Reina

Finnan----Carragher--Sami--Arbeloa

Mascherano--Gerrard
    Pennant
    Babel

Torres
    Kuyt

Come on Rafa, no ****ing around, internation break next so no reason to do any of the international teams a favour by resting players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Aye miller that'd be the team I'd like to see. Though I reckon Rafa will "rest" Torres for Vorinin.

team for Sunday hopefully:

Reina

Finnan----Carragher--Sami--Arbeloa

Mascherano--Gerrard
    Pennant
    Babel

Torres
    Kuyt

Come on Rafa, no ****ing around, internation break next so no reason to do any of the international teams a favour by resting players.

Thats exactly the team im hoping for as well. Pretty much the strongest possible without Agger and Alonso. No point in resting anyone since theres 2 weeks off after it.

Really Huntelaar would actually make sense as then he could go about his rotation of strikers while still maintaining the level of quality up front. Would love to see Klaas and torres together up front though, rather then one second striker and one lead striker we could actually have a good old fasioned partnership where both support each other and bang in the goals as well. Not gonna get carried away though, still just a rumour. How much would we get for Crouch? 10mill? If Klaas cost an extra 5 - 8 on top if that coul dbe great business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Klaas for Crouch would be some of the best business LFC have ever done. The guy is great, a natural goal scorer (there's a reason Van Basten wasn't too worried about losing RVN)

...he was obviously worried enough to recall RVN to the first team in recent games.

But, ye I know what you mean - Huntelaar is Klass;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thumbs up for the line-up. So its a Crouch/Voronin attack then! :p

Fantasy Rafa my arse. :(;)

Mike.

Nunu wrote:
    But, ye I know what you mean - Huntelaar is Klass;)

Hey. I see whatyou did there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Huntelaar's price was being touted as 25 million last summer. Also apparently Juve have him already tied up.

zing wrote:
    If you know someone with a DigitAlb sub ? A few other channels on Hotbird & Astra 1 have it also but nothing FTA.

http://liveonsat.com/daily.php?start_dd=07&start_mm=10&start_yyyy=2007&end_dd=07&end_mm=10&end_yyyy=2007

Now reporting that it'll be on FTA channel BHT1 on Hotbird so I might get to watch it after all. Don't know that channel so will double check later to see if it is FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I wonder will Torres start because he said he didnt start him against Brum' because they would defend deep, but Spurs wont, giving Torres tthe space. Hpefully. Agree with teh team above. Babel should def play, hasnt started in a while...

Paul Anderson seems to be having a bit of a stormer today for Swansea, just scored there as well. Great to see him doing well, heres hoping he can keep it up and become a valid option at Liverpool.

Benitez loses his patience as he tries to cash in on defiant Crouch

By JOE BERNSTEIN
    Daily Mail

Rafa Benitez is heading for a major fall-out with Peter Crouch as he tries to force the England striker out of Anfield in the January transfer window.

The Liverpool manager has decided to cash in on Crouch as soon as possible after confirming that he has a £20 million budget to spend on new players in the new year.

But the player, who has 18 months left on his contract, is determined to stay put until the summer unless he gets the right move for his future.

Benitez's patience with his centre-forward has finally snapped after Crouch's lacklustre performance in the 1-0 midweek defeat by Marseille and he is unlikely to play against Tottenham today.

The manager is irritated by the player's attitude towards his rotation system and his refusal to sign a new deal which would boost his resale value to the club.

Not only that, Crouch is looking for his first goal of the season after netting 24 times for club and country last season. Juventus,Real Madrid, Manchester City and Portsmouth are all interested in the 6ft 7in striker but he is prepared to wait until the summer to weigh up his options, particularly as he would be ineligible to play in the Champions League for another team this season.

Benitez, who has seen his side score just once in five Premier and Champions League games since hammering Derby 6-0, is ready to bring in new blood and Jon Arne Riise is also on the for-sale list.

The Anfield manager said: "We've been working on buying new players since the beginning of September. We do not have problems in the financial area because we have sold a lot of players.We have around 35m euros (£20.7m)."

Liverpool would get back the £7m they paid for Crouch if they sold him in January but the fee would drop as his contract started to run down.

Benitez admitted he was on the warpath following the Marseille debacle.

"We were really bad as a team so the staff and I and the players had to be together. I was really disappointed. And I was angry. But you cannot change anything by being angry.You need to analyse."

Interesting,especially with the talk of Huntelaar that has been buzzing around.

Mr Alan wrote:
    Interesting,especially with the talk of Huntelaar that has been buzzing around.

What makes me doubt that articles accuracy is that it is the first time I can ever recall seeing Rafa give any sort of budget figures - he just doesn't do it. Certainly would not say no to the sales of Crouch & Riise (and one or two others) in Jan though.

Struck me as strange as well tbh, but surely they cant just say something that isnt true, they're a newspaper after all?!?!? :):):):):)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

zing wrote:
    Now reporting that it'll be on FTA channel BHT1 on Hotbird so I might get to watch it after all. Don't know that channel so will double check later to see if it is FTA.

BHT1 wont be FTA while the footy is on

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote:
    Struck me as strange as well tbh, but surely they cant just say something that isnt true, they're a newspaper after all?!?!? :):):):):)

Exactly. they cant put something in quotes that wasn't said or they leave themselves open to being sued, as we've seen happen so many times in the past with papers. Doesn't seem like something anyone would bother lying about and leaving themselves open to attack over..

Interesting that Juve were mentioned, as they were tipped to be leading the way for Klaas last summer, so they could go for the cheaper option of Crouch, paving the way for us to secure Huntelaar.

In fairness though, if Crouch is dicking around with his contract talks, letting them run down then he should be sold ASAP so we dont get stung as badly as with Owen.

that article can't be true...I mean come on, Juve and real Madrid interested in Crouch:D

Nunu wrote:
    that article can't be true...I mean come on, Juve and real Madrid interested in Crouch:D

hehe i do remember the links with Juve, and the others from last summer alright, but this is the first i've heard of Real Madrid wanting him..sounds dodgey alright!

Crouch and Dudek! Real are stealing our best players! :)

think a lot of the top teams around Europe are always interested in Crouch, his game is actually not as suited to the PL as it would be to other leagues, European defences always seem to be scared ****less of him and seem to have no idea how to handle him....still ranks among rafas most mystifying decisions not to start him in the CL final, imo.

true, especially the form he was in last year. Was quite mystifying. I hate seeing Gerrard in that Second Striker role, never looks like suiting him.

Crouchy does tend to cause wreck in Europe alright, though on thing to be wary of him is how many free's he'd be giving away. Having said that Valencia went for Zigic, who looks a lesser version of crouch. Looked fairly brutal tonight in his first start for them anyway.

• Advertisement

true.

anyway, i really hope we win tomorrow, put an end to this crisis talk ****e.....going asleep now to dream of Huntelaar and Torres up front next year ;)

Mr Alan wrote:
    true.

anyway, i really hope we win tomorrow, put an end to this crisis talk ****e.....going asleep now to dream of Huntelaar and Torres up front next year ;)

...ye, for Juve:p

ha ha ha . . . doubt it, fernando is ours for keeps :) just like aul big ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mr Alan wrote:

Juventus,Real Madrid, Manchester City and Portsmouth are all interested in the 6ft 7in striker but he is prepared to wait until the summer to weigh up his options, particularly as he would be ineligible to play in the Champions League

For the life of me i can see no reason why Juve or Real would be interested in him , maybe a team like Portsmouth but Juve ?? :confused:

d22ontour wrote:
    For the life of me i can see no reason why Juve or Real would be interested in him , maybe a team like Portsmouth but Juve ?? :confused:

i guess they'd be more conscious of his european form rather then how he does in the prem, and he was one of the top goalscorers in european competition.

He's also a great option to have, something completely different which defenses dont really know how to deal with. With the players already at Juve and Real, i couldnt see him being first choice, but as an option its handy. And with only 18months on his contract he'd be a fairly cheap option. Could see Trezeguet doing well beside him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

is the game not being covered on one of the setanta channels?

It says here that it is on Setanta Ireland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055130951&referrerid=&highlight=liverpool+televised

dardoz wrote:
    is the game not being covered on one of the setanta channels?

Nope - none of the 'local' channels have it.

I think it was meant to be on Setanta when the game was down to be played on a Saturday,but with Spurs in Uefa cup action on Thursday the game was moved to Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

According to SatFootball.com the Spurs match is on the following channels:

C+ Sport 1 D/F/N/S
    Sky Calcio 10
    Teledeporte
    Supersport 4
    Show Sports 1
    Supersport 5SA
    Sport 2 Ukraine
    Sport+
    Premiere Sport Portal
    Digitalb Premium 1
    RTS2

Unfortunately I've no idea how to tune any of them in :(
    Art Sport used to be a good bet last season but there's a note at the bottom of the site saying there's no Premier League on there this season :(
    Looks like it's going to be a stuttery Sopcast session (sorry about the alliteration).

Mr Alan wrote:
    ha ha ha . . . doubt it, fernando is ours for keeps :) just like aul big ears

We've signed Lineker?:eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement