Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I love liverpool FC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good man Torres

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Torres with a good header 2-2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Not happy with that result.

Fair play Torres though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well, better than losing but yet another 2 points dropped at home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jesus thats a relief, a draw is not much better but a loss would have destroyed our confidence....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yes! Have both Finnan and Torres in my FF team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thank god for Fernando!

Never been so glad to have an International break! Hopefully we can come back in the form we were in Before the last one, and we can just put these few horrendous weeks out of our memories (Only 1 win since last international break, and that against Wigan.)

I'll take that point. not happy though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Liverpool lucky to get out of that with a point imo. They played well in the first half, but were outplayed in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Lucky to get that point. Not happy with result though we really have to be winning all of our home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Had we lost, I'd be kissing our chances of the title goodbye. a draw isn't much better, and it's sad to see us falling back into old habits after such a promising start. Hopefully the International Break will serve as a turning point...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

disgusted with that. spurs couldnt beat their way out of a paper bag lately. dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

we are just not good enough

i seen man u yesterday pick wigan apart, we are not in the class of man u or arsenal at the moment.

Benitez took a risk in the ttransfer window of not buying cover at Cb, now we are really showing weaknesses there.

Hopefully we'll have Alonso and Agger back for the Arsenal, or even Everton games. Think we've felt their loss a lot more then we thought we would. Even when he's not spraying balls around the park, Alonso controls the pace of a game so well, and maybe we've missed Aggers ability of taking the ball out to the middle of the park and starting moves off, rather then just lumping it up the field every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Had we lost, I'd be kissing our chances of the title goodbye. a draw isn't much better, and it's sad to see us falling back into old habits after such a promising start. Hopefully the International Break will serve as a turning point...
    Hopefully that turning point is Rafa out the door. I'm sick of him and his rotation and his failure to get to grips with the Premiership. Much as I'd hate to say this but we'd be better off under Jose. At least he understands how to win titles.

In Rafa we trust. Ha. In Rafa we'll go bust more like

Hopefully that turning point is Rafa out the door. I'm sick of him and his rotation and his failure to get to grips with the Premiership. Much as I'd hate to say this but we'd be better off under Jose. At least he understands how to win titles.

bit harsh imo. Not to sound cliched, but he did manage 82points with a not particularly amazing team. Jose won titles, but, lets face it, Jose had a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

:rolleyes: Be careful you may dislocate something jerking your knee like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Thank you Fernando. I wont make any comments, not seeing the match. But thank God...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

to be honest if we dont mount a credible title challenge I can see Rafa walking away, and I still dont think the board are stupid/brave enough to sack our best manager in years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I did'nt see or hear anything of this game, so as far as anyone can tell were Liverpool playing well or poorly with the line out choosen (which was pretty decent).

Mike.

from what i can tell (largely down to radio coverage), decent first half with plenty of pressure, awful second half being dominated. From what i did get to see at the end of the second half, we were lucky not to concede a third when Reina went walkies in a 1 on 1, looked like he fouled the player outside the box (not sure who) as someone else was running past with the ball and would have had an open goal. We got a free from it but im not sure if we should.

According to the radio, noone shined for us, there was noone who was really looking for the ball or forcing themselves on the game..

we'll see properly in the highlights later anyway i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Some of the reaction here has been failry stupid. The two goals conceeded were poor, very unlike our typical defensive play.

We could've scored 4 in the first half, Torres and Gerrard both had sitters, Gerrard hit the post. There were a few occasions where we were through and we tried to pass it into the net. The story of this game really is chances wasted.

Liverpool were the more dangerous team in both halves. I think Gerrard's form, and possibly his ability to control a game in the absence of Alonso is in question.

I can't question Rafa's tactics one bit. He picked arguably our strongest side, we came out, all guns blazing, created loads of chances, and were punished for being wasteful.

A tale of two international breaks - the last one couldn't come at a worse time, this one couldn't come at a better.

The post-match reaction on RAWK is livid, I've noticed a definite shift of opinion on that forum. In Rafa We Trust is now We Dont Trust Rafa for many.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Right so lads. Another draw, at home, which I'm guessing by the fact we got a 92nd minute goal it was a usuall push forward at the end when we're losing and try for the smash and grab. I'm not looking forward to playing teams in the top half tbh.We're just about clinging to the unbeaten part but draws wont win a league.. Where to now?
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    . Jose won titles, but, lets face it, Jose had a better team.

At this stage Rafa should have a team capable of challenging for the league properly, no excuses.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Right so lads. Another draw, at home, which I'm guessing by the fact we got a 92nd minute goal it was a usuall push forward at the end when we're losing and try for the smash and grab. I'm not looking forward to playing teams in the top half tbh.We're just about clinging to the unbeaten part but draws wont win a league.. Where to now?

Spain? We could bring in some gigantic helicopters and just move anfield and melwood to some nice sunny spot. We've already got plenty of players familier with the language, and a manager who wins La Liga for fun!

Im really just hoping this Break will be what we need and the lads can just clear their heads, come back and get on with business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ultimately, this isn't that bad a result. 2-2 against Spurs is a decent enough result, would rather the win at home obviously, but on it's own, not a bad result. However, the results of Portsmouth and Brum are the reason Liverpool are in this spot. Those games were the easy ones you had to win. Then when the tough games come, you needed a bit of luck. This is only the start of the tough games.

Everton away, Arsenal home and Blackburn away are gona be deal breakers for the title challenge now. At least 7 points is needed there to stay within touching distance.

PHB, your balance and reason is completely NOT needed now! :p:D

Mike.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Spain? We could bring in some gigantic helicopters and just move anfield and melwood to some nice sunny spot. .

Screw that, look closer to home. just drop it 150 miles to the west and we can have a go at a league we might actually win.
    :rolleyes: Be careful you may dislocate something jerking your knee like that.

At the end of this season it'll be 4 seasons. Thats going well beyond knee-jerk territory.

PHB wrote:
    Ultimately, this isn't that bad a result. 2-2 against Spurs is a decent enough result, .

You'd have a different opinion if Spurs just drew at OT.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Fine fine fine, Rafa isn't good enough to hack the league, Gerrard can't win a small game and Carragher is an average defender, that's why you guys can't win the league. Discuss :P

• Advertisement

On another note, I see Afonso Alves scored 7 today. Werent we linked with him in the past?

On another note, I see Afonso Alves scored 7 today. Werent we linked with him in the past?

Probably wouldnt score 7 in a season if we signed him though.

Stekelly wrote:
    You'd have a different opinion if Spurs just drew at OT.

Not really, a league isn't won by beating Spurs. A league is won by beating the bottom 12 in pretty much every game, bar the odd slip up. The games against Spurs/Everton/whoever else happens to be playing well that year are toughies, and getting 4 points off Spurs over a season if pretty good. I'd imagine when Liverpool go to White Hart Lane they have every chance of getting something.

PHB wrote:
    Not really, a league isn't won by beating Spurs. A league is won by beating the bottom 12 in pretty much every game, bar the odd slip up. The games against Spurs/Everton/whoever else happens to be playing well that year are toughies, and getting 4 points off Spurs over a season if pretty good. I'd imagine when Liverpool go to White Hart Lane they have every chance of getting something.

At the moment Spurs are in the bottom 3 and playing like they belong there. They have gotten very little at Anfiled over the last 15 years or so. It was a poor result imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Stekelly wrote:
    At the moment Spurs are in the bottom 3 and playing like they belong there. They have gotten very little at Anfiled over the last 15 years or so. It was a poor result imo.

I think it was a poor result also. we are starting to slip further behind the leaders as we do every year. The gap is now 6 points and tbh, I don't see it getting any better for the rest of the season if Rafa keeps up his rotation policy.I know 6 points don't seem like much but they didn't seem like much in previous years either. (I hope they make me eat my words, but I've wished for that the last 3 seasons as well.)

It's pot luck when it comes to what kind of team will be on the pitch week in, week out. When a team plays good football you play that team every week, with maybe one or two changes now and again for the odd player off form, but Rafa will play a different team every week, no matter how well the last team played.

This, to me, is nuts. I don't understand why you would take a team that wins and plays good one game and turn it into a team that plays rubbish the next.

I just wish we had a starting 11 like most teams. I'm really tired of the constant changes. I don't see it happening though.

I wonder what players will be playing in the next game. How about a pool on how many changes there will be?

I'm guessing 5.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

What he said.

:rolleyes:

Lads, there are serious issues at anfield, draws are not good enough. We are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Christ...wouldnt get too carried away HS, teams (even title winning ones), go through bad spells, we are in poor form, and not losing, Agger and Alonso back will make all the difference....any news how they are getting on?

Sorry I dont believe for one min that this is down to injuries, even if, we should be able to provide cover.

It's pot luck when it comes to what kind of team will be on the pitch week in, week out. When a team plays good football you play that team every week, with maybe one or two changes now and again for the odd player off form, but Rafa will play a different team every week, no matter how well the last team played.

And so Fantasy Rafa comes into existence. There's no other manager who'd be the inspiration for such a site, which says it all.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Sorry I dont believe for one min that this is down to injuries, even if, we should be able to provide cover.

I'm not saying its down to injuries solely, but they are definately a factor in the results from the last couple of weeks. And i wouldnt say there is serious crisis at Anfield, maybe i'm wrong though :( :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

it was a bad result but the rafa out crap everytime we hit a bad patch is stupid.

liverpool fans on mass are a patient bunch, but also clever enough to know when someones time is up, souness' time was when the crowd turned on him and he was gone, same with houllier. liverpool as a club have never been trigger happy when it comes to ditching managers.

rafa will be afforded alot more patience to win the premiership, but there is a pattern now in how the ship is being run under his management, he's been there 4 years now, we're still dropping stupid points and not killer enough in front of goal, the style of play is about exploiting the oppositions weakness more than it is about imposing liverpools strenghts and in the premiership this style on evidence thus far is not working. not to the level required to make the final step.

i think even if we go this season with no silverwear he'll still be given significant backing in the summer. another unsuccessful season after that and i think it would be hard to see him there beyond that. but thats way way way into the distant future.

i still have faith, just not blind faith. :p

next 2 fixtures are vital. must win even. a couple of poor results and there'll be rafa out and shave the beard threads all over the place :eek:

Call_me_al wrote:
    to be honest if we dont mount a credible title challenge I can see Rafa walking away....
    Yeah, cos thats what quitters do. If we dont mount a credible title challenge, it'll be his fault. Good riddance tbh as he's had more than enough chances now. The team has changed so much that it can be considered his now. Yet they've done no better than whats gone before in the PL. Taking aside cup successes, what have we done? Who has he introduced? Barring Torres, the rest have been pretty awful. Sorry, but they have been. He needs to commit to buying good wingers and get over his fetish for defensive midfielders. We are not succeeding as a long ball team so it's time to change to being a creative team. I dont think many of us would mind losing the odd game if we at least looked like we might score eventually.

Yeah, cos thats what quitters do. If we dont mount a credible title challenge, it'll be his fault. Good riddance tbh as he's had more than enough chances now. The team has changed so much that it can be considered his now. Yet they've done no better than whats gone before in the PL. Taking aside cup successes, what have we done? Who has he introduced? Barring Torres, the rest have been pretty awful. Sorry, but they have been. He needs to commit to buying good wingers and get over his fetish for defensive midfielders. We are not succeeding as a long ball team so it's time to change to being a creative team. I dont think many of us would mind losing the odd game if we at least looked like we might score eventually.

Wat a steaming pile of ****e.

Pretty sure, this is a better start to the season than last. and the year before. any statisticians out there?

Torres,Alonso,Agger,Arbeloa,Kuyt,Arbeloa,Reina,Mascherano.....some of the players he has introduced-whereas you claim his only decent player has been Torres.

We have a game in hand on the mancs-if we win that, it'll put us one point behind them....if we can keep pace with them, i have no doubt we will be there or there abouts at the end of the year.

Had we lost, I'd be kissing our chances of the title goodbye. .

Its not over by a long shot, short term we are ****e, time will tell if Rafa can leRN TWO WEEK break .. I'll only accept a draw against arsenal.

Mr Alan wrote:

Pretty sure, this is a better start to the season than last. and the year before. any statisticians out there?.

It's fast levelling out in to a similar campaign as before though.

Mr Alan wrote:
    We have a game in hand on the mancs-if we win that, it'll put us one point behind them....if we can keep pace with them, i have no doubt we will be there or there abouts at the end of the year.

A couple of weeks ago we were a few points ahead, then we were almost level, but we had our game in hand, then yesterday we were 5 points behind with 2 games in hand, now we're 4 points with one game. I see a pattern here, one which is getting all too familiar.

just trying to have faith ste, we were always gonna hit a bad patch, just hoping that this is it, and after the international break with Agger and Alonso back we'll look more like ourselves

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stekelly wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago we were a few points ahead, then we were almost level, but we had our game in hand, then yesterday we were 5 points behind with 2 games in hand, now we're 4 points with one game. I see a pattern here, one which is getting all too familiar.

we are actually 6 points behind with no game in hand.

copacetic wrote:

We're talking bout Utd.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote:

I think a lot of people (including myself) are just using the mancs as a bench mark of how to mount a title challenge, considering they've done it consistantly over the last few years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement