Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

On Crouch and people giving out about him not wanting to fight for his place. Of course he wants to fight for his place but he can hardly do it from the bench. I get the feeling Crouch is ok with rotation and doesnt expect to be played every game but 1 start from 8 is pretty unfair considering he was our top scorer last season and I think on goals to minutes ratio he was second in the premiership.

Wasnt he 2nd or 3rd top scorer in Europe as well ? I think hes been treated unfairly so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes but last season he didnt seem to be giving away a free every time he got the ball? Now, if we do manage to get the ball up front to him, you can nearly expect a free out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Crouch has had plenty of minutes on the pitch this season, and he has never impressed. He is not being harshly treated, Kuyt and Torres are better than him and Voronin has taken any chance he can to impress, Crouch will need to start doing the same if he wants to feature in Rafas long term plans.

Team for the Derby;

Reina

Finnan--Carragher--Hypia--Arbeloa

Alonso--Mascherano
    Gerrard
    Babel-

Torres
    Kuyt

Thats the team I'd like to see.

Any more updates on Alonso or Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The next 3 games are massive! Here is someone elses thinkings. I couldn't have said it better
    Everton Away - Last Season's result in this fixture hurt more than any other league result that season. They are going to be hoping for the same again and it's imperrative that we don't let them. We always go into every game wanting a win but this game is much more than just three points and it always will be. This is a must win in terms of points, bragging rights, and piece of mind.

Besiktas Away - Before the games started Rafa said that we needed to win all our home games and get some points away from home to be through. So far we've got a draw with Porto (one point away) and lost at home to Marseille. I firmly believe that we "should" win the rest of our home games so three points away to Besiktas would go some way to wiping out the loss at home to Marseille. I do believe that qualification is going to come down to the Marseille away game but I also believe it will be in our own hands. 3 points needed from this. A draw makes things difficult but not impossible.

Arsenal home - Now this really depends. It is a very important game in terms of showing that we can compete for the premiership. Arsenal have been looking very good this season and certainly appear to be setting the mark of standards again. But let's not forget that we're still unbeaten in the league. Everyone was saying at the beginning of the league that it won't be the results against the top four that will win us the league but the results against the teams below the top four. Well I say beat the top teams as well and you're onto a winner.

I feel that any Liverpool fan would ideally be happy with 3 points away to Everton (should never be happy with less against them), 3 points away to Besiktas, and a point at home to Arsenal.

I however have faith in a clean sweep of 9 points to stamp our authority that we may have just had our blip of the season and its all the way up from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Doubt Mascherano will play if was playing for argentina last night due to the fact thats its an early kickoff again

And did he definately play for Argentina?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Didn't see the matches myself but seems Gerrard's continued his recent form and had 2 stinkers for England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYHggzKlAi4

:/

Mr Alan wrote: »
    And did he definately play for Argentina?

yeah

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157354071018-0928.htm

in that case we better hope Alonso has made a full recovery or we'll be stuck with Momo booting people around the park :)

Actually come to think of it, this will be the kind of game he was born to play in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

yom 1 wrote: »
    Doubt Mascherano will play if was playing for argentina last night due to the fact thats its an early kickoff again

Argentinas match was on tuesday night though , not last night.

Nunu wrote: »
    Argentinas match was on tuesday night though , not last night.

sorry just assumed it was last night

he might have a chance of starting so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote:

Any more updates on Alonso or Torres?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157357071018-1355.htm
    Rafael Benitez is hopeful Fernando Torres will be able to face Everton in the Merseyside derby on Saturday.
    The Spanish striker has been receiving intensive treatment on his adductor injury this week and is now back in training.

"Torres trained well on Wednesday and we will have another session on Thursday and Friday afternoon, then we will make a decision," said Benitez.

"We have three players who are very close to returning and we will see how they are before I decide on the team to face Everton.

"It is always a risk but I will talk to the doctor and maybe it is not such a big risk here."

The Liverpool manager also revealed his team are looking forward to the derby and are eager to get their form back on track in the Premier League.

"Winning a game like this can change everything and we are looking forward to the derby," added Benitez.

"It's important for us to win this game. Everton are in a good position in the league and have started the season well.

"We know it will be a tough and very physical game. We have confidence and the players know how much this match means to our supporters."

Im thinking;

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Hypia--Arbeloa
    Pennant--Gerrard--Masch--Babel
    Kuyt--Torres

With Alonso making a sub appearance return.

Another interesting one;
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157352071018-1002.htm
    Jamie Carragher today insisted the departure of Pako Ayestaran from the Liverpool coaching staff is not the reason for the Reds' recent dip in form.
    The Spaniard's exit from the club was confirmed at the weekend, although he will remain contracted at Anfield until the summer.

Ayestaran's departure has coincided with a disappointing series of results for Rafael Benitez's men, but Carragher is adamant the two events are not linked.

"Gerard Houllier had the same thing thrown at him when Patrice Bergues left, and in that case I do think that had a big impact," said Carragher.

"But the difference now is that Rafa Benitez is a coach, while Gerard Houllier was more of simply a manager and observed coaching rather than actually taking it.

"I got on great with Pako, he was superb at his job and he had a great relationship with the manager, but he was the fitness coach.

"Rafa is the coach. At the end of the day, we've lost a fitness coach, not a football coach, although it's a fitness coach who was outstanding at his job.

"But it's still the manager picking the team. Rafa is the football man and that hasn't changed, and I'm sure the results since Pako has left is just a coincidence.

"I can understand why people might look at that. People are always looking for reasons why a team isn't playing so well, but in the training sessions we are still doing the same things.

"If people do look at Pako leaving as the reason for our loss in form, I think they are looking for excuses really."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Holy Crap I see a low flying pig! D

This would not be the best game to bring him back, I'd wait for Arsenal.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reina
    Pennant--Gerrard--Masch--Benayoun
    Kuyt--Voronin

?

Agreed Mike, sub appearance against Besiktas maybe, see how he gets on in the last 20 or so, then put him on against Arsenal for 30 or so. Wonder how his fitness is, how far away he is from being able to start.

I have a feeling Torres will start. Babel needs to start this weekend, hasn't played in ages.

Reina
    Pennant--Gerrard--Masch--Benayoun
    Kuyt--Voronin

?

Torres instead of Voronin i'd imagine.

Riise will play LW I'd say, he can take a knock.

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyppia-Arbeloa
    Pennant-Gerrard-Masch-Riise
    Voronin--Crouch

Sissoko might just be in as a disrupting influence.

Mike.

• Advertisement

I'd wonder if Torres is still a bit tender is it worth risking him against a team who wouldn't be too gentle on him.

Agreed with ~Rebel~ babel needs to play some more. If he has as much potential as we're hearing then it's not going to develop if he doesn't get propper game time. Everton would be a decent test for any newbie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

SSN saying Liverpool are set to hold talks with Sammy Lee on the assistant job at Anfield.
    Could be a good move, there's no doubting he's a good No.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Torres is Rafa's prize asset so I can see Rafa wrapping him in cotton wool rather than throwing him into a Mersey derby at anything less than 100% fit. Probably too much of test for Babel at this stage, though I'd like to see him upfront myself. Can't see Benayoun starting - a bit too lightweight, I'd say Riise will get the nod over him aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why would we try to outmuscle everton in the derby, we should be able to outplay them

Its are derby match though, they are never really graceful occasions

we definately have to play Torres if he is fit, after the drubbing we got there last year, we have to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

How fit is he? Has he recovered? Pool definitely look a poorer side without him, they could well struggle against a rugged side like Everton...they're not the best at breaking teams down tbh...

mike65 wrote: »
    Riise will play LW I'd say, he can take a knock.

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyppia-Arbeloa
    Pennant-Gerrard-Masch-Riise
    Voronin--Crouch

Sissoko might just be in as a disrupting influence.

Mike.

Up front I'd have Torres & Kuyt, if Torres fails fitness test I'd go with Voronin alright.
    Will he go with Momo tho', after his brutal display against Marseille?

I'd imagine he is fit, he's been training since Wednesday afaik.

DeadSkin wrote:
    SSN saying Liverpool are set to hold talks with Sammy Lee on the assistant job at Anfield.
    Could be a good move, there's no doubting he's a good No.2.

Thats excellent news. Him or Gary McAllister would be my choices.

For this match, there is also some chance of something like this maybe;

Pennant--Sissoko--Masch--Gerrard
    Torres/Voro---Kuyt

could actually see Voro scoring in this one, seems his type of game, beit from the bench or the start.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats excellent news. Him or Gary McAllister would be my choices.

Torres/Voro---Kuyt

could actually see Voro scoring in this one, seems his type of game, beit from the bench or the start.

That's what I like about Torres/Voronin/Kuyt, they can take a kickin' and can get physical themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Torres/Voro---Kuyt

Gerrard at left wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gerrard at left wing?

Maybe he has Torres and Kuyt playing behind a front 4.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

FERNANDO TORRES is out of tomorrow’s Merseyside derby after failing a fitness test yesterday.

And the Spanish striker is now a serious doubt for Liverpool’s Euro cruncher at Besiktas next week.

Torres got a thigh strain training with Spain last week but told Reds boss Rafa Benitez to count on him for the Everton game.

But Spain’s doctors have told Torres, 23, to rest for 10 days — ruling him out of the Goodison clash.

A close pal revealed: “Fernando had a tremendous desire not to miss this game, he knows it means a lot to the fans.

“He wanted to be there for the team but he realised he wasn’t fit and was very disappointed.

“He is now targeting the trip to Istanbul although the game against Arsenal a week on Sunday is a more realistic prospect.”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thats bad news about Torres,I wanted to see how he got on in the Derby game...as there is a bit more hustle and bustle than a run of the mill game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My money is on a game dominated by Liverpool but with no chances taken, then Gerrard getting a last minute wonder goal winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

yom 1 wrote: »

They must have dug that one out from the archive :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

PHB wrote: »
    My money is on a game dominated by Liverpool but with no chances taken, then Gerrard getting a last minute wonder goal winner
    I'll take that :)

Stekelly wrote:
    Maybe he has Torres and Kuyt playing behind a front 4.:)

heh :)

Nah, just thinking from the point of view of this being a physical game that Sissoko might get in. Sissoko + Gerrard in the center is a nightmare, hence Masch.

Also Gerrard would be no more left wing then he ever was right wing. Whenever he's wide its effectively a free role on the side of that pitch. Added to this that RB is probably the weaker part of the Everton back, and that if Neville happens to play there Stevie would be loving it!

With Torres out, any chance of Babel up front i wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

The way Rafa was talking during the week, if Torres is at all fit he will play.
    Just saw Alonso interview on LFC Tv, very good interview, hopefully he can start. Mascherano's international was in Venezuela..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Archimedes wrote: »
    FERNANDO TORRES is out of tomorrow’s Merseyside derby after failing a fitness test yesterday.

And the Spanish striker is now a serious doubt for Liverpool’s Euro cruncher at Besiktas next week.

Torres got a thigh strain training with Spain last week but told Reds boss Rafa Benitez to count on him for the Everton game.

But Spain’s doctors have told Torres, 23, to rest for 10 days — ruling him out of the Goodison clash.

A close pal revealed: “Fernando had a tremendous desire not to miss this game, he knows it means a lot to the fans.

“He wanted to be there for the team but he realised he wasn’t fit and was very disappointed.

“He is now targeting the trip to Istanbul although the game against Arsenal a week on Sunday is a more realistic prospect.”
    Any source?

• Advertisement

Archimedes where did you get that? Source? or did you type it up yourself?

seriously, if you did, its probably the saddest, most trollish thing i've seen on these boards (and thats saying something)

Why would Spains doctors be doing a fitness test on him? hes back on merseyside since wednesday-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Archimedes where did you get that? Source? or did you type it up yourself?

seriously, if you did, its probably the saddest, most trollish thing i've seen on these boards (and thats saying something)

Why would Spains doctors be doing a fitness test on him? hes back on merseyside since wednesday-ish

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article360928.ece

Up your hole son...

i didnt say you made it up, i said IF you did.

anyway, not too sure about its credibility, that ****ing rag doesnt have a clue.....plus why would spains docs be treating him?

i aint ur son and less of the up ur hole talk, thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well Liverpool fans don't think much of the sun so lets hope its yet another made up story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Buzz around the internet seems to be thats he out anyway...although thats the only article I can find and the bit about the Spanish doctors must be bull****. Unless Liverpools doctors are Spanish ?

Ok, my final gut feeling (if torres is out) is;

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Hypia---Arbeloa
    Pennant--Gerrard--Masch--Riise
    kuyt--babel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I hope Torres makes it but if not I would love to see the Voronator start. I think he'll offer far more of a goal threat than Kuyt.

Fantasy rafa deadline in a few mins I think!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Mascherano won't start as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Is Kuyt fit, read somewhere that they are goin' to assess his hamstring???
    Oh, anyone know will it be streamed online, might not make it to pub :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement