Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Are you all serious?

He's our captain, our best player, on top form he's one of the best players in the world. He's off form, all players go through it in a season. How many of you were giving out about him at the start of the season when he smacked in that free kick against Villa?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Melion wrote: »
    Are you all serious?

He's our captain, our best player, on top form he's one of the best players in the world. He's off form, all players go through it in a season. How many of you were giving out about him at the start of the season when he smacked in that free kick against Villa?

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9374/gunitfinaljpgxd1.jpg

but at the same time.... it is funny to rip the piss a bit :p G-G-G-G UNIT!!

i know its a re-post, but it took me a good half hour to make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Are you all serious?

so what?

does that make him undroppable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote: »
    so what?

does that make him undroppable?

many liverpool fans, and 99.9% of the english media would say so.

and to balance it out so people don't see this as trolling, i would say the exact same about the current waste of space, Mr. Hands on Hips himself, Ryan Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Torres ain't gonna be flying to Turkey tomorrow.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7054218.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tauren wrote: »

and to balance it out so people don't see this as trolling, i would say the exact same about the current waste of space, Mr. Hands on Hips himself, Ryan Giggs.

Personally feel he should be ****ing drop kicked out of the team for a few matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Torres ain't gonna be flying to Turkey tomorrow.

Just as well as the rest of the team flew out today :p

Shame he's going to miss it but here's hoping he's fit for the weekend as we'll need him then. Arbeloa also out so most likely Riise at LB. IIRC Aurelio is also injured and all those defensive injuries might go along way to explaining the bench on Sat.

On the plus side Alonso is said to be fully recovered and available if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It'll be nice to have Alonso back for Sunday, and hopefully Torres will be available aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My Team for Besiktas:

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Riise

Mascherano----Gerrard

Pennant
    Babel

Kuyt
    Voronin

with Alonso getting at least a half hour, before starting on Sunday with Mascherano in the middle. Pennant on the right (he was great against Arsenal last year) and Gerrard on the left. Torres and Kuyt up top.

Having said that I wouldn't mind seeing Lucas instead of Stevie tomorrow night. But it's a must-win so I doubt Rafa will throw him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »

ha ha, comparing Gerrard to Giggs?! come on, Giggs is finished, whereas is Gerrard is yet to reach his peak, there is a massive difference. even in both their forms this year, an off form Gerrard was still MOM against Chelsea and scored a cracking winner against Villa.

I aint saying he is undroppable, but i am saying that his form at the minute doesnt merit being dropped, who is gonna replace him sissoko?!!? :)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha, comparing Gerrard to Giggs?! come on, Giggs is finished, whereas is Gerrard is yet to reach his peak, there is a massive difference. even in both their forms this year, an off form Gerrard was still MOM against Chelsea and scored a cracking winner against Villa.

I aint saying he is undroppable, but i am saying that his form at the minute doesnt merit being dropped, who is gonna replace him sissoko?!!? :)

i wasn't trying to compare them in any respect other then the media seem to think they are playing better then they are and that they appear to be undroppable in the eyes of most.

wasnt overly aware that the media was hyping giggs up? anyway i get wat ya mean now, and yes the media has a lot to answer for in my opionion for the ****e they have written about Liverpool this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

As bad a performance as the ref had, I still don't buy him changing his mind over what Gerrard allegedly said. He took out his book, I don't even think he looked down as he did so. How often do you see a red card stuck in the back of a ref's book as he takes it out to give someone a yellow? Gerrard walked past the ref (without even stopping if I recall?) so it might have been a passing remark, but it couldn't have been arguementative enough for Clattenburg to change. But of course, Andy Gray & co pick up on it, sensationalise it, and it's all over the papers.

He had a stinker no doubt - wrong IMO to let Kuyt stay on the pitch, wrong not to award the Everton peno, but I don't think he had his mind changed by Gerrard.

I agree with that. A red card was the correct decision. Besides, Roy Keane and Terry have been mouthing to Refs for years and trying to get decisions their own way but there doesn't seem to be a media circus over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have to say from being at the match on saturday i saw an aspect to gerrards game I had never seen before. he rarely played a pass to a player in a good position in front of him when breaking but played the ball to a player that would mean he had time to get in to a better goalscoring position. i thought he was being very greedy in this way. so once Alonso is back to match fitness i wouldnt minde seeing gerrard "given a rest" for a few games and see how it goes.

also what was up with carragher I was sure he was gonna get booked in the first half when he conceded that corner and went off at clattenberg - never seen him that upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

hes just not playin up to his standards at the moment..he admitted that himself.
    he'l come good and should deffo be playin every CL and PL game(if hes fit)

you dont leave your best player out.

• Advertisement

wasnt overly aware that the media was hyping giggs up? anyway i get wat ya mean now, and yes the media has a lot to answer for in my opionion for the ****e they have written about Liverpool this year.

He was in the prem team of the year last season, one of the front runners for the individual awards, and is on the Player of the Year award shortlist of 50. And has been pretty much crap for a seaosn and a half at this point, if not longer. but this is a pool thread so it ain't relevant, i'll leave it be now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

prendy wrote:

[devils advocate]
    Tell that to Villareal. Dropped Riquelme and are now second in the league by a point.

Also Arsenal have very obviously kicked on an extra level without the larger then life character of Henry
    [/devils advocate]

Not saying this is particularly what I think in this situation, but its food for thought.

With injuries i absolutely wouldn't drop him, but with a full team, at times we look better as a unit without him. Mascherano and Alonso are a world class center midfield and seem better balanced then when Stevie's in there. Alonso in particular looks a much better player, getting everyone involved and pushing further up the field himself when Gerrard's not in the team. Having said that, its still probably worth having Gerrard in another position on the occasions Masch and Xabi get the nod in the middle.

ha ha, comparing Gerrard to Giggs?! come on, Giggs is finished, whereas is Gerrard is yet to reach his peak,

Are you really that incapable of getting the point he was trying to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Damn, no Torres tomorrow, but ALonso back is great news. NEver realised how much he gave until he was gone. Even people saying he hasnt been at his best....
    V Besiktas
    Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Hyypia-Riise
    Pennant-Gerrard-Alonso-Babel
    Kuyt-Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kanney wrote: »
    Damn, no Torres tomorrow, but ALonso back is great news. NEver realised how much he gave until he was gone. Even people saying he hasnt been at his best....
    V Besiktas
    Reina
    Kuyt-Crouch

Arbeloa isn't in the squad traveling. Still haven't heard anything about an injury, but he wasn't even on the bench at the weekend either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Kanney wrote: »
    V Besiktas
    Reina
    Kuyt-Crouch

As far as I know Arbeloa is out of this game along with Torres so i'd say finnan will keep his place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

point taken rebel i just feel were a stronger team with gerrard in it. were spoilt for choice in centre midfield at the moment.

Are you really that incapable of getting the point he was trying to make.

Pretty sure when the below answers that?:confused:
    wasnt overly aware that the media was hyping giggs up? anyway i get wat ya mean now

Yes, Gerrard is undroppable.

He is our 1 player who can win us a game on his own, id like to have him playing behind Torres in a full strength team with freedom to do whatever he likes with Alonso and Masch behind him in the centre.

You'll all love him again by May and pretend none of this was said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads big managers make big decisions. Ruud was undroppable for United, Fergie did it anyway, then we won the league. Henry was undroppable for Arsenal, He left for Barca, Arsenal are top of the league. I don't know if selling Gerrard is the right decision, but big managers have the balls to make those sorta decisions, something Rafa has shown he is willing to at least consider.

PHB wrote: »
    Lads big managers make big decisions. Ruud was undroppable for United, Fergie did it anyway, then we won the league. Henry was undroppable for Arsenal, He left for Barca, Arsenal are top of the league. I don't know if selling Gerrard is the right decision, but big managers have the balls to make those sorta decisions, something Rafa has shown he is willing to at least consider.

Agreed 100%.. Having been hot and cold about selling Gerard since the Chelsea crap but I am pretty much now settled on the **** him out on the right and if he moans, sell him for a fortune.

You'll all love him again by May and pretend none of this was said

to the weak willed maybe. but those who can stand by their opinions and what they say just might be saying what they are cos they honest to god believe it.
    undroppable is a silly word, he was substituted with 20 mins left and had a moan about it while some of the squad have been in and out far more then gerrard (masch, kuyt, voronin, riise and even torres) but they have all backed the manager and not had a winge and generally got on with it.
    whereas Stevie Me misses 20 minutes and sees that as a reason to cause a bit of a stir in the media when they are already coming down on mr benitez, our manager, which is causing a bit of pressure that might affect our players, his choices and ultimately our results.

G-Unit could have just said nothing, do you not agree ?

I dont like saying it but if Carra had been taken off id say he would have had the same reaction. As gerrard said, he's a local lad who wants to play every minute of every game but especially the derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see some heretical thoughts about Gerrard. Fans have to be careful not to be cultist.

Mike

I dont like saying it but if Carra had been taken off id say he would have had the same reaction. As gerrard said, he's a local lad who wants to play every minute of every game but especially the derby.

but u dont win a game and get a goal by swapping a centre back. u can do that however by changing the shape and style of the midfield... and that might mean subbing stevie. what if we were 2-0 up with 20 mins to go and want to close the game and stick alonso on for gerrard? especially with a champo league game coming up in Turkey in 4 days time. that would almost be a decision that makes sense....
    or wanting to win ur local derby by playing wat u think is the right team and right players and making substitutions how u see fit. its not like leiva is crap is it? and fancy that! we won 2-1 (controversial, but meh :p ). G-Unit doesnt pick the team, rafa does... so maybe he should get over himself and not say anything to the media about missing 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

gerrard should pretty much shut up,
    he's putting pressure on rafa which isn't fair,
    everytime something like this happens i htink about that ridiculously stupid andy gray quote along the line of "stevie should go into rafa's office and say he wants to play in the centre or not play at all, and see what rafa says" because i think rafa would have somewhere in the region of 2 words to tell stevie.

i do agree he should play in the CM tho :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

prendy wrote: »

You do when he's on your best player on paper. The fact is , at the standard he is playing at , he isnt anywhere near being our best player.

Dare I even say it that maybe a well spent £30-35m might be better for us than having Gerrard? Just throwing it out there is all.(EDIT, just read won further and realise I'm not alone in this :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jazzy wrote: »
    to the weak willed maybe. but those who can stand by their opinions and what they say just might be saying what they are cos they honest to god believe it.
    undroppable is a silly word, he was substituted with 20 mins left and had a moan about it while some of the squad have been in and out far more then gerrard (masch, kuyt, voronin, riise and even torres) but they have all backed the manager and not had a winge and generally got on with it.
    whereas Stevie Me misses 20 minutes and sees that as a reason to cause a bit of a stir in the media when they are already coming down on mr benitez, our manager, which is causing a bit of pressure that might affect our players, his choices and ultimately our results.

G-Unit could have just said nothing, do you not agree ?

TBH I personally have no problem with this part of his attitude. I wish all our players were pissed off when subbed. But the problem is being pissed off at getting hooked when your playing ****e.Fair enough be pissed off because you played ****e, buit thats your own issue to deal with in your head, just go away and make sure you turn up the folling week fighting.. If a player is giving 100% and playing well I have no problm with him being pissed off in the situiation Gerrard found himself in on Sat.

This obviously excludes games that are well won and players are brought on to get a run/give others a rest.

I also dont agree with players ever moaning to the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Kewell and Aurelio set for reserves comeback on Thursday night. Any news on Agger? Arsenal will come to soon but maybe Blackburn in a fortnight. ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Free LFC TV tomorrow (Thursday Night)
    LFC TV are offering Reds fans everywhere a special treat with the chance to watch the club's brand new channel for FREE!
    The launch of 'Free Night' offers supporters a unique opportunity to tune in between 6pm and midnight tomorrow and check out all the latest goings on at Anfield - and you won't have to spend a penny.

This feast of football is available to customers of Sky on channel 448 and Virgin Media channel 544 and will offer viewers a whole host of entertaining and action-packed shows.

You will have the chance to watch LFC Now for all the latest news from Melwood, full 90 minute live coverage of the Reserves' match with Newcastle aswell as the John Barnes Show, which will feature guests Steve McManaman, Alan Kennedy and Ron Yeats.

It is a mouthwatering line-up and you can watch it all for FREE!

So don't miss out!

Link

John Barnes has his own show?!!!!?!!

this is the best thing to ever happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Will NTL have it free here?
    Hope so. Then I get to see Harry make his comeback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yeah its pretty good too. LFC TV is actually fairly good. They show all the reserve games lives, repeats of every league, cup & champions league game this year and the main presenter is hothothot.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/images5/tv-0907-clair-22.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yea the Barnes show is grand,I have been impressed with LFCTV so far my only grip is you can not get it on its own you have to subscribe to the full sports package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,910 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Hopefully it's a rap show. G-Unit could be his first guest.

astrofool wrote: »
    G-Unit could be his first guest.

You're ****ing hilarious aren't ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Will NTL have it free here?
    Hope so. Then I get to see Harry make his comeback!

seeing as it N(o)T(any b)L(oody good) I 'd say NO!
    :(

You're ****ing hilarious aren't ya?

yeah, he is. just cos we represent G-Unit style is no reason for you to go dissin' us foo'

G-G-G-G UNIT!!!!!
    i know its another repost, but I really am proud of that image i put together :p

lighten up millersangel, if you represent enough - maybe we will even let you into the G-Unit. Theres only one rule though, no unrealistic over the top fans allowed... its tough but we find its the only way where we can actually have fun at the expense of millionaire footballers without their legions of fans actually exploding at their keyboard ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I have to say, LFC TV has been better than I thought it would be, the reserve team games, youth team games, reruns of recent matches, classic matches, lots of other stuff too like "Aldo's class of 87". That was excellent, great to watch that team again.

• Advertisement

My guess

Reina
    Finnan- Carra-Hyypia-Riise
    Gerrard-Alonso-Masch-Benayoun
    Crouch-Kuyt

Dunno why.

Mike.

Just for everyone banging on about selling Stevie, say we got £30m for him. Who would you like to see sign for us? What position do you think is so weak in our team that we should sell our captain and best player to fill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reina
    Finnan- Carra-Hyypia-Riise
    Pennant-Alonso-Gerrard-Benayoun
    Crouch-Kuyt

I also dunno why.

i agree with Mikes team with the exception of maybe Babel for Yossi

re Melion

Central defence! Also the right side needs some serious competition for Pennant. And the left if Babel is really a striker in disguise.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement