Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

............Pepe..............
    Finnan..Carra..Sami..JAR
    Yossi..Gerrard..Masch..Babel
    .......Crouch...Kuyt........

mike65 wrote: »
    re Melion

Central defence! Also the right side needs some serious competition for Pennant. And the left if Babel is really a striker in disguise.

Mike.

To be honest, id rather keep Gerrard and give Jack Hobbs a go in centre defence. Wait for Anderson and Hamill next season, i think they'll give Pennant and Babel some serious competition.

IMO there is no position in our squad so weak that would justify selling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

that isn't what would be the reason for selling him though.

If he were to be sold it would be because even though he's a fantastic player, we might actually be a better Team without him. Everyone else plays better as a unit when he's not there. Now, to be honest i think its too early to do something like this, other ways could be worked around it, but it is there as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The only thing with loosing someone like Gerrard is, not to sound too andy gray, we'd only have carra as the one player who came through the ranks - the player who grew up in liverpool and the player who has a little bit more because of that.

I would be very happy with Babel to start and Lucas to come on at some point during the second half. With about 20 mins to go NOT after 80 mins rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sorry, why do some people think Gerrard should be sold?

Not good enough? The interview he gave? or his dip in form since injury?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    sorry, why do some people think Gerrard should be sold?

Not good enough? The interview he gave? or his dip in form since injury?

Because football fans are a fickle bunch

Not saying he should be sold but if he was sold would the team perform better.

certainly seems that way. sure that is our right i suppose!

for the record, i dont think Liverpool should sell Gerrard. He is a big game player, and on form, one of the top midfielders in the world. say we got wat?

any money needed to maker other positions stronger, should be provided by the yanks, thats wat they are there for! Not by selling one of the best players ever in the clubs history while still in his mid twenties

Not saying he should be sold but if he was sold would the team perform better.

no way of saying for sure, they have played well without him in the past, but there is a big difference between playing well cause a star player is out injured than playing well when a star player/captain/friend has left.

also worth remembering - without him there would have been zero trophies at Anfield in the last 3 years.

I dunno. I know its early but Arsenal have been doing fairly well without Henry. Sometimes teams band together tighter when stuff like this happens.
    I dont want Gerrard to go either but it makes interesting discussion :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Melion wrote: »
    Because football fans are a fickle bunch

fickle and having a laugh are 2 different things.
    only one person has mentioned in ever so hushed tones that he maybe thinks it might be a good thing to sell him.
    calling him Stevie Me or G-Unit is having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

No way would I want to see Gerrard sold. But I think he needs to be shifted out to either wings. On the right if Babel / Kewell are playing, On the left if its Yossi / Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Most seem to reckon Crouch & Kuyt up front tonight - I guess Rafa will go with Voronin & Yossi so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I dont think Yossi will start.... Babel and Pennat and Riise and Alonso and Crouch and Arbeloa... Or maybe Riise left and Arbeloa and Finnan wing backs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arbeloa won't be playing according to a linky I saw earlier.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would prefer Gerard not to be sold. Saying that, I do feel he should be played on the right more frequently and should keep his ****ing mouth shut about that or being subbed. I also fear that he has become too big for his boots and is bordering on becoming a distraction to everyone else at the club. If he does ever become a distraction to the extent that it is to the detriment to team, I would very much be in favour of selling him. It is far too easy to compare it to the Henry situation but it is a perfect example and cannot be ignored.

To clarify, while Gerard remains the asset that he is and has been to the club, I will always feel that he should be kept. Saying that, what he did in the media after being subbed in the Liverpool derby is completely unacceptable in my mind. It stinks of an attempt to publicly undermine the manager - Berbatov went one step further on Monday. A manager should never be undermined by one of his players. A few more comments or acts of defiance will swiftly change my opinion of him. In my mind, he has never regained my full faith since the Chelsea nonsense and I subsequently can no longer blindly stand by him.

Arbeloa won't be playing according to a linky I saw earlier.

Mike.

Yup - injured and due to make his return with the reserves tomorrow night iirc

Reina
    Finnan-Hyypia-Carragher-Riise
    Pennant-Mach-Gerrard-Babel
    Kuyt, Voronin.

Subs: Itandje, Hobbs, Alonso, Sissoko, Lucas, Benayoun, Crouch.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Team for tonight is:
    Reina, Finnan, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Pennant, Babel, Kuyt, Voronin.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157430071024-1845.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

strong and speedy line up

lets hope babel plays well

Reina
    Finnan-Hyypia-Carragher-Riise
    Pennant-Mach-Gerrard-Babel
    Kuyt, Voronin.

Mike.

Damn beaten to it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

is/will there be links for tonight game? the site i used to use no longer exists:(

Given that he's allowed 7 on the bench I would have thought he'd include more defensive cover instead of one of the midfielders - maybe someone like Insua.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Come on the Babel.!!
    Jesus only bout 200 if that of pool supporters and they're caged in. Poor guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Besiktas have started well, looks like a very hostile atmosphere there! i almost feel sorry for the pool fans that travelled, looks like they locked up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

shocking defending

1-0 besiktas

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That is shocking defending, I wouldn't blame Finnan, but Carragher and Hypia were very very shocking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

well that was bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

very unfortunate 2nd og in 2games for Sami, another Istanbul comeback maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sigh.

Will somebody shoot Andy Gray already? "Shocking defending" my arse, it was two huge strokes of luck that the ball went in. Prick.

PiE wrote: »
    Sigh.

Will somebody shoot Andy Gray already? "Shocking defending" my arse, it was two huge strokes of luck that the ball went in. Prick.

They should have gotten it away tbh.

Game is on RTE if you don't like Gray.

two strokes of luck? take off the blinkers!!! they cant clear their lines properly! thats how that was conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That was some incredible save against Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

it was a great tackle by carra and it was very unlucky. blinkers? you're just trolling now?

out of interest sake, do you actually support liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

kryogen wrote: »
    two strokes of luck? take off the blinkers!!! they cant clear their lines properly! thats how that was conceded.

Initially it was a super tackle by Carragher but it was unfortunate that his clearance hit Finnan, there was nothing he could do tbh.

Gerrard needs to relax the cacks a bit.

He's trying to take this game by the scruff of the neck, but on current form he won't be able to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

A defence splitting pass, striker away on goal, brilliantly recovered by Carragher, tries to clear the ball from his arse, hits his own player, happens to fall to another striker, shot going wide/into Reina's hands, deflects off Hyppia.

You're right... quick, string up the defence - they're clearly useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PiE wrote: »
    A defence splitting pass, striker away on goal, brilliantly recovered by Carragher, tries to clear the ball from his arse, hits his own player, happens to fall to another striker, shot going wide/into Reina's hands, deflects off Hyppia.

You're right... quick, string up the defence - they're clearly useless.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

PHB wrote: »
    That was some incredible save against Gerrard
    Impressive alright. And he's their 2nd choice keeper as well.

didnt say they were useless,well maybe hypia.... but they were poor there, people make their own luck! ;)

How much of this crap do we have to put up with?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If any Pool fans need cheering up then heres some good news for you. Fowler just scored for Cardiff. See, its not all bad.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

How much of this crap do we have to put up with?

Mike.

kyrogen or the passing tonight?

I'm getting a little worried already, we are well on top, well up for it, putting them under a lot of pressure and creating chances but nothing as yet. Top that with going behind to a freak goal and it might not be our night.

It is! Wolves are my home town home! (only born there mind you!)

copacetic, the team. The trolls are'nt costing points!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

kryogen wrote: »
    didnt say they were useless,well maybe hypia.... but they were poor there, people make their own luck! ;)

Do you actually mean what you are saying or are you just genuinely here to wind people up ? I am just curious you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

my only solice is that gerrard is no long taking corners

Half time now, Liverpools passing has been very very sloppy tonight.

*Prediction Alonso to come on set up first and score winner

• Advertisement

Gerrard needs to be hauled off the park or moved into free role with one of the so called strikers removed and Alonso on in his place.

Or get Crouch on, he like the CL!

Mike.

ps all my comments should be read in the context of not wanting Pool to escape the group stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement