Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Awful performance by the Pool. It's still possible for them to win their 3 remaining games so no need to panic just yet ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

they are odd on not to qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Well that was a banana skin if ever I saw one! Now the big test for Rafa, The Premiership. No excuses now (No champions league and no Internationals) If they're off the pace by next February, I'd say he'll be rid of.....with José lying in wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Shocking performance. The passing in the first half was terrible. The movement for each other is non existant. Benitez needs to change his tactics quickly. Arsenal will rip through us on Sunday if we both play like we did in the champions league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont even care about the CL this year, its always been about the premiership this season. And no im not just saying this tonight, ive been saying it since the summer

Melion wrote: »
    I dont even care about the CL this year, its always been about the premiership this season. And no im not just saying this tonight, ive been saying it since the summer

i love europe there is something special about it, not this year though, we are gone and im man enough to admit it

2 finals in 3 years is enough for me, Rafa will be deemed as a failure unless he can start to get results in the league. I think if we do finish bottom of the group(not even qualify for the UEFA cup) it would give him and the team the kick in the arse that they need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Anyone get the feeling (from the previous post i thought this) that Rafa not too keen on the champions league either? You can say i'm saying this cos im a pool supporter but im not. He just doesnt seem to put as much effort in.
    Terrible performance, we have not played well now since Derby or Reading.
    I'm gonna say we need Torres back because we do, but Alonso and I think even Yossi's introduction livened us up.
    Hyypia i'm afraid is dead weight as this stage. Too slow to get to the second goal, and two own goals...
    And I was so excited for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

AdrianII wrote: »
    i love europe there is something special about it, not this year though, we are gone and im man enough to admit it

Man enough? What's that got do with the price of turnips?

We are in really bad shape in the Champions League, it's not over till its over, which may be soon, until it is, I'll have every crossable part of my body crossed.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Man enough? What's that got do with the price of turnips?

its means im fed up with rafa talking crap about it still being possible to qualify. We havent played any decent football all year, down to rafa swaping the team every 5 minutes. I want performances not excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Poor Sami had a nightmare, feel bad for him because he's been a fantastic professional for 'Pool. Babel was absolutely woeful, he doesn't look like he'll ever make it at Liverpool. Finnan was poor as well, he's not the solid right-back that he used to be. Bar the goal, Gerrard was rubbish.

Thought Benayoun looked very good for 'Pool when he came on. Also, Crouch should have started, the Voronin/Kuyt partnership just won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I love big euro nights too, playing against the best teams out there but if this kick starts our PL season I'll happily do without CL this year.

Id be brave and give Hobbs a start against Arsenal, he'd do no worse than Sami against the likes of Adebayor(Hobbs is the same height as Sami and looks like a beast) and Walcott.

I didnt think Babel was too bad, he's still young and getting used to football at this level, im convinced he'll be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shotamoose wrote: »
    It's not about missing Torres or Alsonso or whoever, it's about the team playing like a bunch of strangers. That's the coach's fault.

Reina
    Risse
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Hypia
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Pennant
    Kuyt

All of the above were able to play together last year, able to get to a CL final and started the game today, so your point is nonsense.

The players play with eachother every day for hours in training and a lot have been playing together for years...we're just going through a **** time, happens all clubs.

Still unbeaten in the league, and most agreed that was the priority this year.

I have a feeling, a lot of peoples opinions on here may change on Sunday.

Plus for me was that i thought Babel was very good tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kuyt and Voronin are "dumb and dumber" together, they each need a smarter partner.

The main concern is that regardless of the opposition or competition the team are playing without any rhyme or reason. What does Rafa do in the training?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Yea its definitely not over yet

Id put money on Porto and Liverpool to qualify! :p

Marseille to get just one point from their last three games, that being away to Besiktas

Ive called it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mr Alan wrote: »

I have a feeling, a lot of peoples opinions on here may change on Sunday.

In what way ? That Liverpools season is crashing and burning or that they are potential league winners ?

its means im fed up with rafa talking crap about it still being possible to qualify. We havent played any decent football all year, down to rafa swaping the team every 5 minutes. I want performances not excuses

chelsea? derby? have faith man. rafa will get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We havent played any decent football all year,

False.

Yes, it was another bad performance in Europe.
    Yes, it may be very tough to qualify.
    Yes, we are going through a pretty bad patch.

But some Liverpool fans really annoy me.
    I want performances not excuses
    Stop talking like the team owes you something. Stop being overly negative. Stop talking crap. Please ?

In regards to the game. Same problems as before, too many long balls, not keeping possession, not dangerous enough on front of goal.

Kuyt & Voronin are not a pairing I ever want to see. They are both good players but they are not dangerous enough. They are both shadow strikers...I fail to see why Peter Crouch didnt start...or at least come on shortly after the second half. Specially with his european record and the amount of long balls we were playing. Lovely goal from Gerrard. Benayoun looked bright when he came on as well and was nice to see Babel FINALLY running at players, even though the end product wasnt there.

I just hope we can get a result against Arsenal on Sunday, if we dont, it will seriously effect confidence. Too many of our players are off their best...Carragher (although thought he played well tonight), Hyypia, Riise, Gerrard, Sissoko, Pennant, Kuyt & Voronin.

Oh and - that was one of the first times I have seen Finnan have a truely bad game in a Liverpool shirt.
    Babel was absolutely woeful, he doesn't look like he'll ever make it at Liverpool.

Would you ever shut up. Hes 20 years old and has played what, well less than 10 games. Hes only started about 4 times and hasnt even come on as a substitute that often. He won man of the match in the final of the U21 world cup recently and possibly player of the tournament. Don't be so stupid.

We'll beat Porto and Besiktas at home, its gonna come down to how we do in Marseille. I can see us getting a draw there

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    In what way ? That Liverpools season is crashing and burning or that they are potential league winners ?

potential league winners :)

(hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Meh they look average without Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

For all those saying whats important is the league so this doesn't really matter ..... get a grip!!

Whats important is that Liverpool are playing well as a team and success will look after itself. This is not happening and hasn't been for a long time.

No one seemed to want the ball in the middle. Why the hell were players not going to get the ball and try and make something happen. I am sick to death of watching disjointed rubbish football. We lacked badly with any kind of cohesion in relation to passing tonight.

People will say look at our possession and territorial advantage during the game. We were gifted this by the opposition and was not down to liverpool as team.

Alonso is BADLY missing at the moment and i do think he could be key to changing things. In saying this i don't think its going to solve some of the deeper problems we have. I am not going to say what i think will as i am genuinely angry writing this post and would prefer more time to reflect but things at liverpool football club are not right.

Opr

Bring back Pako!!!!!

its nothing to do with Pako

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Bring back Pako!!!!!

Why the players look in decent shape?

its nothing to do with Pako

Isnt it? I did'nt belive it was an issue but maybe he was the little voice in Rafas ear. The real manager!:eek:

Mike.

well where is the problem them, someone mentioned the derby game as a good victory. Look at the tablederby are crap, we havent beat big team yet: spurs, chelsea, everton,

Bit of a coincidence that our bad run comes after he leaves. Ive brought this up before and not going to argue about it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Bring back Roy Evans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

we havent beat big team yet: spurs, chelsea, everton,

i think you;ll find we took 3 points from goodison...

oh and everton aren't a big team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So heres the thing, if Liverpool go out of the CL this early, and fail to mount a title challenge, should the board start to consider Rafas position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Why are Liverpool fans still stuck in this mindset of only being able to choose to compete in one major competition? With the additions to the squad, surely they should be able to compete adequately in both á la Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea?

Pako was a fitness coach, granted he was with Rafa years and was close to the players, but thats basically wat he was, a fitness coach. co-incidence is exactly wat it is that our form has dipped since he has left. do ya not think something else interesting happened at that time to that could explain our dip in form?! possibly Agger,Alonsos injury? Even the injuries to Carragher/Gerrard/Torres?.....thats 5 players who are certain to start (even with Rafa).

the team is just going through a bad spell, happens to all teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

PHB wrote: »
    So heres the thing, if Liverpool go out of the CL this early, and fail to mount a title challenge, should the board start to consider Rafas position?

With the money he's spent, I think so! José arrives and wins everything in sight*

*hypothetically speaking

No. If the same happens next year, then look at the situation.

Yes! He has a deal which was 5 years extended by two I think (open to correction) it'll be 4 years in the summer. Time for a review I think.

Mike.

i hope people mentioning Jose are taking the piss? wouldnt want him anywhere near the club.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i think you;ll find we took 3 points from goodison...

oh and everton aren't a big team.

that was my point

• Advertisement

Seriously, the whole injury thing is a funny statement millersangel when you consider the fact that United and Chelsea have had similar, if not greater injury problems. Liverpool are nowhere near close to having an injury crisis, or having had one. The issue is that the squad doesn't have enough quality depth, they are still about 4-5 players away from having a championship winning side.

and we are there or there abouts with utd and chelsea in the league?

i aint doubting it, but who are the players Utd and Chelsea have been missing thats as big a loss as Alonso/Gerrard/Agger/Torres?

and i aint saying that the injuries are causing our poor performances now, just that they whipped all the early confidence away from the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Outrageous claim Mr.PHB! I threw the same question out months ago when Liverpool were played off the park twice in a matter of days by Arsenal and dumped out of the two domestic cups as a result, the suggestion at the time didnt go down well :eek:

But now it would appear pool fans are not dismissing the idea so lightly ;)

i am dismissing it equally as lightly.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and we are there or there abouts with utd and chelsea in the league?

Currently, Chelsea had a manager resign and United had no strikers are the start. Look at them now, see whatcha think.
    i aint doubting it, but who are the players Utd and Chelsea have been missing thats as big a loss as Alonso/Gerrard/Agger/Torres?

lol, currently the following United players are injured:

Scholes, Saha, Carrick, Hargreaves, Silvestre, Foster, Park, Neville. That's right now.
    Also so far this season, Ronaldo has been banned for 3 matches, Anderson has been injured, VDS has been injured, Fletcher had a broken leg, Rooney has had a broken foot,

For Chelsea the current players are injured:

Cole, Terry and Ballack. All first choice. Throughout the season Essien, Carvalho, Drogba, Lampard have all been injured.
    and i aint saying that the injuries are causing our poor performances now, just that they whipped all the early confidence away from the team.

Top teams bounce back.

p.s. Also, with qualification still wide open, Rafa will have to play strong teams in the next three CL matches, compared to Arsenal and United, who will field youngsters, or in Arsenals case, actual toddlers.

Anyone blaming injuries is just making excuses. As PHB has said, we have enough strength in depth to cover these injuries. This comes down to Rafa rotating too much, not knowing his strongest 11 and persisting with players who arent good enough or just dont care enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeez lads, nought to be upset about, sure its not till next season we're due back in the final again!

On another note, that was absolutely rubbish. Passing was shocking. Someone needs to tell them they're allowed to look at a guy 10feet away, and pass it to him. It seems whenever they're not doing those massive superpasses 147yards that they need to add an extra dimension of difficulty so do a one touch pass without looking. Its not a fking challenge lads!

Right: New plan!
    Pepe
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Arbeloa
    Pennant--Masch--Alonso--Babel/Yossi
    Gerrard
    Torres

With Gerrard expressly forbidden from leaving the final 3rd on the pitch.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeez lads, nought to be upset about, sure its not till next season we're due back in the final again!

On another note, that was absolutely rubbish. Passing was shocking. Someone needs to tell them they're allowed to look at a guy 10feet away, and pass it to him. It seems whenever they're not doing those massive superpasses 147yards that they need to add an extra dimension of difficulty so do a one touch pass without looking. Its not a fking challenge lads!

Right: New plan!
    Pepe
    Finnan--Carra--Agger--Arbeloa
    Pennant--Masch--Alonso--Babel/Yossi
    Gerrard
    Torres

With Gerrard expressly forbidden from leaving the final 3rd on the pitch.

No question about it, that should be our starting XI and ive been saying it since the start of the season.

Kewell left and Yossi right and I'd go for that.

Mike.

I wouldnt even bother with Kewell, Babel is younger and should be given games. Christ, id recall Hamill and play him rather than Harry.

Oh and Leto should definitely get games, he looks a star for the reserves

Anyone blaming injuries is just making excuses. As PHB has said, we have enough strength in depth to cover these injuries. This comes down to Rafa rotating too much, not knowing his strongest 11 and persisting with players who arent good enough or just dont care enough

i wasnt saying injuries were the reason, simply saying that its more of a ****ing reason than a fitness coach leaving, which is wat you have it down as. in my opinion its down to lack of confidence that arose when we had awful injuries. but it will come good.

PHB, maybe writing off liverpools league season now is a bit premature considering as i said we are still right in the mixer and now it looks like we wont have to worry about the CL. despite our poor form we remain unbeaten. and maybe doing **** in the CL is the best thing that can happen if ya wanna do well in the league? look at Utd the last few years for example.

oh and if you're throwin in Foster,Park and silvestre, i may as well gove honourable mention to kewell and aurelio ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement